Burnley (A) - Build up

jamesfp1

Going to be a tough game, a real 6 pointer when looking at the table - I don't think there will be many goals but we'll need to be up for a battle if we are going to get anything. Could do with some of the wind up merchants on here provoking Gray to say something stupid on Twitter to get him banned again, that worked in our favour for the home game.

Good luck to all those travelling, a proper away day especially on a freezing cold day in January, a few decent pubs around but cricket club is decent for away fans. Looks like we've only sold about 1100 tickets so plenty of room to spread out in the away end. Those travelling by train might be joined by some south coast friends with Championship leaders Brighton away at Preston.

On the 13th January last year, Saints ended a long 9/10 game unbeaten run by beating Watford 2-0 at St Mary's. It was the game which saw the return of Fraser Forster and our rapid rise to 6th began.....Could this be the turning point?

Same team please Claude.

More importantly it was also the game where Ronald changed the system to have 3 CBs, a tactical change that he eventually had to make to arrest the slide. The change was a great success but did not endear Koeman to the powers that be.

'eet is no possible for me to play ze same team. i am how you say "allergic" to that possibility'

The whole excessive rotation chat has really been hammered (on here) and I think most are now accepting it seems OTT.

Genuinely thought it might slow down once we went out of Europe but so far very little to suggest Puel is looking for a settled side.

Changes per game -

HBS to Boro 8

Boro to Stoke 4

Stoke to AFCB 6

AFCB to Spurs 5

Spurs to WBA 6

WBA to Everton 6

Everton to Norwich 8

Norwich to Liverpool 7

The whole excessive rotation chat has really been hammered (on here) and I think most are now accepting it seems OTT.

Genuinely thought it might slow down once we went out of Europe but so far very little to suggest Puel is looking for a settled side.

Changes per game -

HBS to Boro 8

Boro to Stoke 4

Stoke to AFCB 6

AFCB to Spurs 5

Spurs to WBA 6

WBA to Everton 6

Everton to Norwich 8

Norwich to Liverpool 7

Not often I agree with anything you post but it's just too much if you look at the successful clubs around the world they don't rotate to this extent I really think we'd be having a much better season if he'd calm it down a little.

Not often I agree with anything you post but it's just too much if you look at the successful clubs around the world they don't rotate to this extent I really think we'd be having a much better season if he'd calm it down a little.

For comparison I just checked out our last 9 games from last season when our form was excellent P9 W7 D1 L1

It was the latter part of the season and thought players would be tired come May, especially without excessive rotation during season.....

Changes

Stoke to Liverpool 1

Liverpool to Leicester 3

Leicester to Newcastle 2

Newcastle to Everton 0

Everton to Villa 4

Villa to Man C 2

Man C to Spurs 0

Spurs to Palace 1

I love the in depth analysis and reasoned argument for Lawro's prediction.

[h=2]LAWRO'S PREDICTION[/h]Burnley are a top-five team based on their results at Turf Moor so, weighing all of that up, this might seem like a home banker.

But you cannot expect the Clarets to win every home game they play, which is why I throw in a draw for them every now and again.

Prediction: 1-1

I love the in depth analysis and reasoned argument for Lawro's prediction.

[h=2]LAWRO'S PREDICTION[/h]Burnley are a top-five team based on their results at Turf Moor so, weighing all of that up, this might seem like a home banker.

But you cannot expect the Clarets to win every home game they play, which is why I throw in a draw for them every now and again.

Prediction: 1-1

Christ, he's meant to be a resident expert, but sounds more like a punter with a fiver to chuck on an accy for the weekend and only 2 mins until kick off to do it with his reasoning!

Christ, he's meant to be a resident expert, but sounds more like a punter with a fiver to chuck on an accy for the weekend and only 2 mins until kick off to do it with his reasoning!

It would be interesting to know if he put a tenner on every published prediction if he would be winning or losing.

Changes per game -

HBS to Boro 8

Boro to Stoke 4

Stoke to AFCB 6

AFCB to Spurs 5

Spurs to WBA 6

WBA to Everton 6

Everton to Norwich 8

Norwich to Liverpool 7

Does Les Reed have your CV on file?

Also pointless taking into account the Norwich game, where we were always going to rotate players. In addition, with so many games over the Christmas period, all clubs rotated. Between Everton and Liverpool we only had 3 changes, one of which was VVD who was banned for Everton replacing Fonte who is AWOL....

Not saying I am a fan of the rotation at all, but you can't go the whole season playing 11 players, especially not when we have played probably the most games out of anyone in the league this season? Our midfielders are also much of a muchness, there is not a huge amount between Clasie/JWP/Davis/Hojbjerg so choosing 2 of those alongside Romeu is likely dependant on opposition.

Changes per game -

HBS to Boro 8

Boro to Stoke 4

Stoke to AFCB 6

AFCB to Spurs 5

Spurs to WBA 6

WBA to Everton 6

Everton to Norwich 8

Norwich to Liverpool 7

Why did you think that? We had the most difficult recovery times over the festive games, plus have the League Cup semis to deal with. The rotation with Europa League games was due to high numbers of fixtures, that is still the case, probably until February now when it should give us more recovery time and a week to prepare for each game.

Some Saints fans still live in the 1970/80/90's when it comes to sports science. Players these days run considerably further each match and in training than they ever did 10/20/30 years ago, it is hard to recover for another high level match days later. Also some Saints fans overlook players have different recovery times and demands in different positions aren't the same. For example van Dijk is better able to recover than Fonte and players such as the fullbacks need more rotation due to the huge amounts of running they do in Southampton's style of play.

Changes per game -

HBS to Boro 8

Boro to Stoke 4

Stoke to AFCB 6

AFCB to Spurs 5

Spurs to WBA 6

WBA to Everton 6

Everton to Norwich 8

Norwich to Liverpool 7

For comparison I just checked out our last 9 games from last season when our form was excellent P9 W7 D1 L1

It was the latter part of the season and thought players would be tired come May, especially without excessive rotation during season.....

Changes

Stoke to Liverpool 1

Liverpool to Leicester 3

Leicester to Newcastle 2

Newcastle to Everton 0

Everton to Villa 4

Villa to Man C 2

Man C to Spurs 0

Spurs to Palace 1

Does Les Reed have your CV on file?

Why did you think that? We had the most difficult recovery times over the festive games, plus have the League Cup semis to deal with. The rotation with Europa League games was due to high numbers of fixtures, that is still the case, probably until February now when it should give us more recovery time and a week to prepare for each game.

Some Saints fans still live in the 1970/80/90's when it comes to sports science. Players these days run considerably further each match and in training than they ever did 10/20/30 years ago, it is hard to recover for another high level match days later. Also some Saints fans overlook players have different recovery times and demands in different positions aren't the same. For example van Dijk is better able to recover than Fonte and players such as the fullbacks need more rotation due to the huge amounts of running they do in Southampton's style of play.

You have to feel sorry for Heisenberg. He was probably gutted that we didn't lose on Wednesday, I reckon he had a whole load of material prepared and ready to post but all that hard work went to waste.

Now he's just clutching at straws.

Tick

GXoTM2lsbjL2IwImqBpBTqI_Yhkw6ovvYufr9yrVVTA-ZcBilbnt4jh70-5s3HP0S34FixgxFn8Tf1N0rWLanEzHjZ1PYXBdpm6PKm7rG3SUJ4ph2Fnz09k7dRcSk_WR7sdez3k0Yq3M76P2MGpg2zNgImPOKvbEljOFDy1DuY1zE1OIYznScW60wfsEC68hjR9G4byhUN3a8Ng053aMy4SjoF4CVunJmKAA32CKgwEDlFlm27eq557UAgI0RzSpoOvfafbrraaqTki76TWRd1Xih7HhozE2A5q9PwSSFpXDfty08piOQJIr--DUoVVRjOOOio0pEvCPW9XgP50if6P5fS9ZWyOXbHmJQDgway06prOKeWbNAr3vd6VrYqMU-cuC_f19fyc6Tz8gg9ykChIrNBYTlLwVsYZR-nHkghMu-h-8rymCFg-fbV_SbkITNtMrJuVxHs_VqrHYlWm0_1nVEZohQgOCUByfLI4I6W9T5Y0pfXo4JHVHrQvNxQG77wdEO1yZdk7-nPclOr_vR7uqu-9MCM5uUL9MZ6eE5tKJ9JEkhWJUafC32BND9lSk9as4oXjQzQI6hq0314qjmbjOTFhjU-9CpN97O7X-wM8_nn0CsiMEeA=w794-h530-no

Why are you sharing pictures of your front room?

Wouldn't you share pictures of your front room if they were on the internet? (rather than just sharing pictures that you took yourself? After all, it's perfectly normal to supplement your own pictures with those that you find on the internet. Yep, nothing odd about that in the slightest... ;) )

Changes

Stoke to Liverpool 1

Liverpool to Leicester 3

Leicester to Newcastle 2

Newcastle to Everton 0

Everton to Villa 4

Villa to Man C 2

Man C to Spurs 0

Spurs to Palace 1

If you looked at the dates involved in the two sets of games you have chosen, you would have the answer as to why we have rotated more players. The set of 9 games you quoted for this season were played in 34 days. The nine from the end of last season were played in 57 says, so on average, more that two more days per match recovery time.

If you check out "Lawro's League Table" at the bottom of his weekly prediction page, the final column shows (+ or -) the difference between the real league positions and what the team positions would be, if all his predictions were correct. Saints are the team he is most incorrect about (out by nine places). He has nearly always been negative and begrudging about our club.

Anyone think the game could be called off? Just had a look and Burnley is forecast snow over night

Nah, it'll be a bit chilly but otherwise I can't see there being a problem. The main thing is the gales we've had up here for the last couple of days have died away.

If you check out "Lawro's League Table" at the bottom of his weekly prediction page, the final column shows (+ or -) the difference between the real league positions and what the team positions would be, if all his predictions were correct. Saints are the team he is most incorrect about (out by nine places). He has nearly always been negative and begrudging about our club.

Yeah I look at that and it is funny how little he's predicted us to win!

He really is not up to it as a pundit these days. Still better than Merson though, that guy is a total and utter moron.

If you looked at the dates involved in the two sets of games you have chosen, you would have the answer as to why we have rotated more players. The set of 9 games you quoted for this season were played in 34 days. The nine from the end of last season were played in 57 says, so on average, more that two more days per match recovery time.

You're probably right mate.

But ive looked at other clubs (team in the champions league) and even Man United (still in europe and EFL) and even with their stronger squads they dont swap players game to game like we do.

Guess we will see if it slows down in Feb or March when we have less games.

You're probably right mate.

But ive looked at other clubs (team in the champions league) and even Man United (still in europe and EFL) and even with their stronger squads they dont swap players game to game like we do.

Guess we will see if it slows down in Feb or March when we have less games.

It will slow down as we have fewer competitions. See echo article today showing we will never had played more games in our Premier League era than this season.

Great to see younger players given the opportunity at Ipswich, still in the competition, first choice players rested and then fresh to beat Liverpool. I am loving the fact that we are still in three competitions, and hooe rotation continues until February

Heisenberg's 'mare continues...sleepwalking to Pompey!

:lol:

Changes

Stoke to Liverpool 1

Liverpool to Leicester 3

Leicester to Newcastle 2

Newcastle to Everton 0

Everton to Villa 4

Villa to Man C 2

Man C to Spurs 0

Spurs to Palace 1

Sober statistical analysis of a number of matches in a two month period compared with the same number of matches in a one month period.

I have to say, that's almost flawless.

9/10.

Sober statistical analysis of a number of matches in a two month period compared with the same number of matches in a one month period.

I have to say, that's almost flawless.

9/10.

Somebody pinch me! Am I dreaming this happened? 9/10. Has CB had his account hacked?