St.Marys

beowulf

First of all I'd like to say I am as proud of our stadium,as I am to be a Saints fan. I have a brick in the wall expressing my loyalty to the club forever.

But I think we made more noise at the old Dell than we do now.

Times change,we sit down in comfort,all very organised and safe but I would love to see is the whole Northam End dedicated to Saints fans only.

No division down one third of it or in some cases as in big Cup games etc, surrendered to away fans.

Our more vocal fans are located at this end and lets be honest they are no going anywhere else(unless forced to) .

I don't go along with the argument that its safer to put the away fans in part of this end, there must be somewhere else, it needs to be sorted out with the club and police as to where they can go safely.

A whole end that buzzes will ignite the rest of the ground.

I'm convinced that given the whole of the Northam end Saints fans will rediscover the close and vocal atmosphere the Dell used to have.

At the Dell it was often worth a goal start.

Go on Saints just do it, you know it makes sense.

Bloody hell, how many times does this have to be explained to the hard of thinking that it has nowt to do with Saints in isolation.

Hants police want away fans there as it's the most direct approach for coaches and those coming by train. The carpark can be split during high risk games and the concourse can be divided, unlike elsewhere in the ground, making it easy to manage.

They're not going to put them in The Chapel and neither are they going to put them next to the corporates in the Itchen.

The away fans will never be moved. Ever. Get used to it.

The more logical plan would be that the Chapel be turned into the vocal home end.

Bloody hell, how many times does this have to be explained to the hard of thinking that it has nowt to do with Saints in isolation.

Hants police want away fans there as it's the most direct approach for coaches and those coming by train. The carpark can be split during high risk games and the concourse can be divided, unlike elsewhere in the ground, making it easy to manage.

They're not going to put them in The Chapel and neither are they going to put them next to the corporates in the Itchen.

The away fans will never be moved. Ever. Get used to it.

The more logical plan would be that the Chapel be turned into the vocal home end.

Doesn't mean it can't be changed or alternative solutions found - also can see your logic that the Chapel is an option. FWIW I agree with the first poster, away fans behind the goal is not ideal.

Edited by Katalinic

First of all I'd like to say I am as proud of our stadium,as I am to be a Saints fan. I have a brick in the wall expressing my loyalty to the club forever.

But I think we made more noise at the old Dell than we do now.

Times change,we sit down in comfort,all very organised and safe but I would love to see is the whole Northam End dedicated to Saints fans only.

No division down one third of it or in some cases as in big Cup games etc, surrendered to away fans.

Our more vocal fans are located at this end and lets be honest they are no going anywhere else(unless forced to) .

I don't go along with the argument that its safer to put the away fans in part of this end, there must be somewhere else, it needs to be sorted out with the club and police as to where they can go safely.

A whole end that buzzes will ignite the rest of the ground.

I'm convinced that given the whole of the Northam end Saints fans will rediscover the close and vocal atmosphere the Dell used to have.

At the Dell it was often worth a goal start.

Go on Saints just do it, you know it makes sense.

I think the type of people going to football has changed a couple of examples I've run into recently

I was talking to a rep at work who was telling me he had got himself a saints membership. Thinking he was a saints fan I started talking about the club when he told me he wasn't a saints fan he just wanted to watch PL football and have a good match day experience.

Coming back from the West Brom game over Christmas there were three blokes and a couple of kids who had been to the game on the train. One bloke who was French was asking another one what was the best game he had seen at SMS this season. "oh easy Chelsea they were magnificent" said the guy. I was just thinking it was a weird thing for saints fan to say when the guy went on to explain, to the French guy, he wasn't a saints fan (apparently his team was Notts Forest) and he just liked watching football.

Now that could be two totally isolated cases but I do wonder if there are more and more fans of PL football, as opposed to saints fans, going to SMS (and elsewhere) if so it would be easy to see why atmospheres are getting worse at grounds. Maybe football is turning into something akin to a trip to the cinema losing the emotional tribal element it once had. Maybe more and more people are going to football to see a few goals (not caring which side scores them) eat a substandard hotdog and drink an overpriced beverage.

If that's the case I doubt anything we do at SMS will make a difference.

We should all be allowed megaphones.

let us play some from the PA like Anfield, and GGMU at Old Trafford and the bubbles at the 'London Stadium'.

That's the only way those generate any atmosphere.

Jokes though, wouldn't want us to be like that really

I don't think St Mary's is that bad, certainly no worse or better then just about every other PL ground in the country.

Let's be honest, the 'atmosphere' is ****e at most places, SKY just like to peddle the myth as it suits their audience in China.

away fans will never be moved. Ever. Get used to it.

You will never convince me that a way couldn't be found to locate the away fans elsewhere. Its a big enough area to sort out a route for away fans to get to another part of the ground without world war 3.

You will never convince me that a way couldn't be found to locate the away fans elsewhere. Its a big enough area to sort out a route for away fans to get to another part of the ground without world war 3.

I'm sure lots in the Northam fans go there because they are next to the away fans, it's part of the atmosphere to be so close. Move the away section and lots of the Northam fans will just move to the section next to it.

I'm sure lots in the Northam fans go there because they are next to the away fans, it's part of the atmosphere to be so close. Move the away section and lots of the Northam fans will just move to the section next to it.

exactly, it is usually the away fans who generate atmosphere that gets a bigger response from the home fans in most stadiums.

oh and a goal also really helps!

If we can't move the away supporters then why not just expand the Northam stand by a few thousand, this will dilute the away fans presence. We don't have to give them any more seats unless it's a cup game. You could have a stand that accommodates over 8,000 with 5,000 saints fans minimum for league and still have almost 50/50 split for any big cup games.

I'm with View from the top... what is it that people can't grasp? When the ground was built, the Chapel - the whole of the chapel - was designated the kop end. I bought season tickets there on that basis. But the vocal support CHOSE to be right next to the away fans so the Chapel became a library. Like many others, I moved to the Northam for the atmosphere. You will not move the away fans because of the location of the police CCTV room.

On balance, having a vocal presence either side of the away fans works pretty well.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll only have to wait a couple of days before the question is raised again for the millionth time.

The cost of going to matches must have made it difficult for a lot of younger fans.

How many school kids can go to Prem matches on their own these days, unless they have very generous parents.

In my day almost all of the noise came from under 25s.

More mature family men are unlikely to sing themselves hoarse especially in an area like Southampton where the catchment area is mainly ABand C (horrible way to categorise people, I know) but I avoid terms like working class as everybody who can afford football is a worker, or retired.

Now I'm an unfit seventy year old when I get to games with my son, I'm certainly not going to do more than a couple of verses of "Oh when the Saints" for old times sake. I see quite a lot of more mature fans on the few occasions I get to away matches, (unfortunately I no longer have any family living in Southampton I can stay with, like I used to when my parents were alive.)

A lot of the atmosphere at the Dell in my youth used to come from the stands stamping their feet on the wooden floor as well which is gone now, mainly because of the appalling acoustics of two open ends.

"

I think where our away fans are is where away fans should be. Personally I think there should be a league rule that away fans go behind ( or to the side ) of a goal. All this chucking them up in the gods or down the sides is shiete. It's a better atmosphere if they're behind the goal.

There's absolutely zero chance of away fans being moved, so if you want to create a whole end for the vocal people you'll need to move up to The Chapel. This can work as Palace and other clubs vocal support is away from the away fans. The only way you'll ever get it to happen though, is if safe standing comes in and the chapel is designated as the safe standing stand.Even then it'll probably take about 5 years and hundreds of bans for standing in Northam, before half the muppets realise and accept it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's right! lets follow the away fans, that's where the atmosphere must be. Give me strength............

I don't get what you don't understand. It is normal for the section of home fans near the away end to be the most vocal, that's why it's the Northam that's vocal and why there is a vocal section in the Itchen corner, these fans could have pitched up anywhere in the ground but chose to be next to the away fans. Also away fans do general sing more per head then home fans, and when this is matched by the home side you get your atmosphere.

All it would take is for everyone to join in with the songs now and again. I totally understand that people don't want to be standing and singing all game, and if we're being thrashed it can be hard to muster enthusiasm, but 1-0 up in a semi final against Liverpool, creating chances etc and the section I was sat in (Itchen South) was so quiet. I was joining in the Northam songs at the top of my lungs, in the hope that others would join in. But all I seemed to get were disapproving stares. It really is quite unbelievable.

Funny how singing goes hand in hand with behind the goal stands, not sure why you can't be a singer while also wanting a half decent view of the game!

I think where our away fans are is where away fans should be. Personally I think there should be a league rule that away fans go behind ( or to the side ) of a goal. All this chucking them up in the gods or down the sides is shiete. It's a better atmosphere if they're behind the goal.

There's absolutely zero chance of away fans being moved, so if you want to create a whole end for the vocal people you'll need to move up to The Chapel. This can work as Palace and other clubs vocal support is away from the away fans. The only way you'll ever get it to happen though, is if safe standing comes in and the chapel is designated as the safe standing stand.Even then it'll probably take about 5 years and hundreds of bans for standing in Northam, before half the muppets realise and accept it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The premier league agree with you... sort of.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/10651699/away-fans-must-be-pitch-side-premier-league-clubs-agree

Obviously would have been nice to have stayed at the Dell but as we all know it was totally un viable. As for this thing about moving the away fans to the Chapel all that would do is move the Northam and block 1 to the opposite end of the ground, except it would be a fragmented move because of all the season ticket holders already in the Chapel-Itchen-Kingsland corners.

But going back to this romanticising about the Dell, when I first started going to games the Milton Road end was the Northam, and the away fans were often caged in the "pig pen" in the corner at the Archers road end. When we got promoted to old money 1st Division, because we were in the bad old days of football hooliganism inside the grounds, the Archers road terraces were re developed and the segregation fencing went up creating 3 areas.

Being 13-14 these were very different times, I stayed put in the Milton Road End as I had a good view without fencing and liked watching football, and still being relatively little didn't fancy the jostling about. But loads of guys who we use to see on the Mlton Road terraces just vanished and it later turns out ended up down the Archers Road where all the "action" was.

As I got older I went into the Archers pens for a few games, a 2-2 Draw with Liverpool springs to mind as I was in the pen next to the Liverpool fans, always remember a penalty being awarded to Liverpool all their fans were climbing the fences spitting an snarling at us, bit like a modern zombie film, the penalty was saved and all the Saints reciprocated the spitting and snarling climbing the fences.

Then we had Hillsborough and things changed, the fences came down, seats installed. But for over 10 years the Archers Road end was established as the raucous end of the ground and adjacent to the away fans. So wherever you put the away fans in SMS the guys who like to compete with them verbally will gravitate to that vicinity. As for the atmosphere, at the Dell it was all very cozy if a song started in the Archers everyone else in the stadium was close enough together to hear it start and join in at the right time............ At the Dell someone could fart in the upper west stand and in less than a minute someone under the east stand would be interrogated to see if it was them who let one go!

Sitting in the Chapel yes it's quieter, invariably aside from the usual winkle spouting on about complete cobblers, most folks down there have had their raucous days in the 70's, 80's, 90's and actually watch the game in a detached state, you suddenly hear Chapel Chapel give us a song, as the opposition are attacking our box, the majority of the folks in the Chapel are exercising their sphincter not hearing that they have been asked to sing. Actually when OWTS is started slowly that's when more folks in the Chapel join in, but because of the speed of sound and the distance between the Northam and the Chapel it's always a tad out of time.

I said this before, Lawrie McMenemy always commented that we are gentile folks here in Hampshire and that the team have to get the fans going by their actions on the pitch, but when they do get going Saints fans can be the noisiest in the land.

So just like whoever in in charge we always fanny about in front of goal, as a crowd we are relatively sedate until the team do something to fire us up......... I guess it's just in our dna

I don't ever remember a particularly noisy atmosphere at The Dell.

Rose tinted.

Not sure if you're replying to my post, but it was just a joke in response to Dalek's usual take on things...

Although I think it's reasonable to say that the Dell had, due to its small size, a higher proportion of "singing" fans. Even with quiet sections it didn't feel quite the same barren landscape that's St Mary's does when no-one is making any noise.

Not sure if you're replying to my post, but it was just a joke in response to Dalek's usual take on things...

Although I think it's reasonable to say that the Dell had, due to its small size, a higher proportion of "singing" fans. Even with quiet sections it didn't feel quite the same barren landscape that's St Mary's does when no-one is making any noise.

this is what the premier league is now.

its no longer fans at grounds, but simply customers.

I'd personally move them to the Kingsland North corner, similar to how Derby have the away fans at their ground now but it'll never happen. They will always be in the Northam stand because it's easier for the Police.

F*ck da police.

NWA.

Do we pay them, or do they do it for free?

Sorry, more a response to the original post.

I don't ever remember a particularly noisy atmosphere at The Dell.

Rose tinted.

Night games:

The League Cup run in late 70s, V Man Citeh, then the semi V Leeds.

But as others have said, it is pricing and demographics. There used to be about 4000 teenage and early 20s tribal youth lads in the Dell.

Edited by adrian lord

I don't get what you don't understand. It is normal for the section of home fans near the away end to be the most vocal, that's why it's the Northam that's vocal and why there is a vocal section in the Itchen corner, these fans could have pitched up anywhere in the ground but chose to be next to the away fans. Also away fans do general sing more per head then home fans, and when this is matched by the home side you get your atmosphere.

It was normal for some to want to be where the away fans congregated.That started in the early 70s with the mobs on the terraces. Is not so easy to follow away fans about now without terraces.

I cant see even those that like to do that being able to do so now and in a lot of cases even wanting to. Move the away fans and the Northam fans would be bolstered by a substantial number of fans joining them