Mamadou Sakho - thoughts?

Dusic

We've only played 4 games since Caceres signed and he was still getting fit for a couple of those. We have a load of games during April so we will see rotation again and he will get game time. I guess what happens in the summer depends more on him than us as he will be a free agent after his contract with us finishes at the end of the season.

I think his future will be decided in the next month or so if he plays and plays well we will almost certainly offer him a longer contract that hopefully he will accept.

A massive summer ahead, Les!

aren't they always massive for us now! I'd love a nice quiet summer without the comings and goings and endless melt downs on here a nice summer of silly rumours like when we were going to sign beirhoff would do me fine.

aren't they always massive for us now! I'd love a nice quiet summer without the comings and goings and endless melt downs on here a nice summer of silly rumours like when we were going to sign beirhoff would do me fine.

It does seem to take until January for Les to get in his summer purchases, so better start now old chap.

...nah. I want us to lock VVD up every second he isn't on the pitch.

Too late I reckon. Time for everyone to start adjusting to the fact he's played his last game for us. We'll replace as we always do (Lovren with TA, TA with VVD). The fee will be huge and get us 2/3 more top quality CB'S. We'll be stronger for it.

As for VVD, and don't get me wrong, he's great to watch on the ball and aerially very dominant, and he is a great player, but I do think his positioning needs work and would be highlighted more at a bigger club. I think £50m would look like a very good deal for us next season, in the same way £8m for Fonte looks like daylight robbery.

Too late I reckon. Time for everyone to start adjusting to the fact he's played his last game for us. We'll replace as we always do (Lovren with TA, TA with VVD). The fee will be huge and get us 2/3 more top quality CB'S. We'll be stronger for it.

As for VVD, and don't get me wrong, he's great to watch on the ball and aerially very dominant, and he is a great player, but I do think his positioning needs work and would be highlighted more at a bigger club. I think £50m would look like a very good deal for us next season, in the same way £8m for Fonte looks like daylight robbery.

Come off it - Is this where we all start trying to convince ourselves that VVD isn't actually that good so that it doesn't hurt so much when he leaves? He will fit in just fine at a bigger club.

Come off it - Is this where we all start trying to convince ourselves that VVD isn't actually that good so that it doesn't hurt so much when he leaves? He will fit in just fine at a bigger club.

Seriously, 'what did I say' versus 'what did you read'?! I literally wrote, "he's a great player", but he's not a complete player and he's not the best centre back in the world. He's up there; top 20 definitely but not the best. £50m would represent a great bit of business for us and like all the other great players that have left our club, he will find it tougher than people expect and will have his doubters at his new club. Only Sadio Mane I can think of that hasn't had that, but give him time....!!

Seriously, 'what did I say' versus 'what did you read'?! I literally wrote, "he's a great player", but he's not a complete player and he's not the best centre back in the world. He's up there; top 20 definitely but not the best. £50m would represent a great bit of business for us and like all the other great players that have left our club, he will find it tougher than people expect and will have his doubters at his new club. Only Sadio Mane I can think of that hasn't had that, but give him time....!!

Top 20? name 19 better than him?

I'd personally say he is the best / in the top 2 in the PL only rivaled by Toby.

IMO he'd walk into any team in the world and as you've pointed out, he will only develop and get better.

Chelsea with Conte would be a great move for him and his career. Similar to Morgan's move to united, I wouldn't blame him!

Top 20? name 19 better than him?

I'd personally say he is the best / in the top 2 in the PL only rivaled by Toby.

IMO he'd walk into any team in the world and as you've pointed out, he will only develop and get better.

Chelsea with Conte would be a great move for him and his career. Similar to Morgan's move to united, I wouldn't blame him!

No particular order but there is a top 10 in my opinion and he's not in it.

1. David Luiz

2. Gerard Pique

3. Sergio Ramos

4. Thiago Silva

5. Toby Alderweireld

6. Leonardo Bonucci

7. Diego Godin

8. Jerome Boateng

9. Laurent Koscielny

10. Giorgio Chiellini

After that, I think you could argue a case for him to be somewhere in the next group - the likes of Umtiti, Vertonghen, Kompany, Varane, Pepe, Hummels, Barzagli etc.

To say he's the best defender in the world, or even top 10, when all he's won is the Scottish Premier League and Scottish Cup (oh and player of the season at Southampton), and when he's only played a handful of games in the CL AND never appeared in a major international tournament, is a stretch IMO.

Agree with you, Chelsea would be the best place for him. I also agree he could probably get into any side in the world, but not at the expense of any of the players I've just listed in top 10.

Anyway, let's not argue....if he goes, which I suspect is now a given, he'll be a big miss, and to bring it back on topic, Sakho would be a downgrade, although not as big a downgrade as some make out. What it would give us though is the funds to go and get two top 30 CB's and a top defensive midfielder to play alongside Romeu.

1. David Luiz

2. Gerard Pique

3. Sergio Ramos

4. Thiago Silva

5. Toby Alderweireld

6. Leonardo Bonucci

7. Diego Godin

8. Jerome Boateng

9. Laurent Koscielny

10. Giorgio Chiellini

After that, I think you could argue a case for him to be somewhere in the next group - the likes of Umtiti, Vertonghen, Kompany, Varane, Pepe, Hummels, Barzagli etc.

To say he's the best defender in the world, or even top 10, when all he's won is the Scottish Premier League and Scottish Cup (oh and player of the season at Southampton), and when he's only played a handful of games in the CL AND never appeared in a major international tournament, is a stretch IMO.

Agree with you, Chelsea would be the best place for him. I also agree he could probably get into any side in the world, but not at the expense of any of the players I've just listed in top 10.

Anyway, let's not argue....if he goes, which I suspect is now a given, he'll be a big miss, and to bring it back on topic, Sakho would be a downgrade, although not as big a downgrade as some make out. What it would give us though is the funds to go and get two top 30 CB's and a top defensive midfielder to play alongside Romeu.

I'd only have 3 of those players in that list over Vvd !

1. David Luiz

2. Gerard Pique

3. Sergio Ramos

4. Thiago Silva

5. Toby Alderweireld

6. Leonardo Bonucci

7. Diego Godin

8. Jerome Boateng

9. Laurent Koscielny

10. Giorgio Chiellini

I love watching David Luiz but uh...lol

Dropped a big bollock not signing him it seems - we have shipped so many goals since Fonte - VVD were broken up. Silverware was on the table.

Agree, and yet many on here thought he was utter garbage, and we shouldn't touch him a barge pole. Precisely why whilst I like to think I know a lot about football, I respect the experts (Puel, Reed etc. in our case) judgement

Agree, and yet many on here thought he was utter garbage, and we shouldn't touch him a barge pole. Precisely why whilst I like to think I know a lot about football, I respect the experts (Puel, Reed etc. in our case) judgement

We tried to get him on loan according to MLT on SSS a few weeks back but he preferred to go to London.

We tried to get him on loan according to MLT on SSS a few weeks back but he preferred to go to London.

Thanks - wasn't aware. I guess Liverpool preferred an outright buy anyway, and we wanted try and buy as we weren't totally convinced at that price, which is fair enough. Pity but you can't win them all. Gabbi probably a better catch for example.

Still not worth £100k a week.

He ****ing is on loan for half a season if it meant winning a trophy.

I can honestly say having seen some of his performances for palace and hearing what they're saying about him that he'd have been the difference in the cup final.

1. David Luiz

2. Gerard Pique

3. Sergio Ramos

4. Thiago Silva

5. Toby Alderweireld

6. Leonardo Bonucci

7. Diego Godin

8. Jerome Boateng

9. Laurent Koscielny

10. Giorgio Chiellini

Haha is this April fools, Luiz koscielny, Umtiti , Hummels, get a grip. Yes his concentration and positioning could and should be improved on but bar Pique/Ramos possibly Boatang Toby there arnt any better as an overall package

Edited by danjosaint

He ****ing is on loan for half a season if it meant winning a trophy.

I can honestly say having seen some of his performances for palace and hearing what they're saying about him that he'd have been the difference in the cup final.

That's conjecture, as with every other theory about what might have won us that game.

(Other than Romeu scoring rather than hitting the post, I guess)

Comments from Gary Neville on Sky Sports this morning, saying Sahko has found his level at Palace, that he probably couldn't play in a more expansive / ambitious team where his full backs will push up and he would be left with his only his centre back partner.

Neville summarised that Sahko is good in a backs to the wall, all defending in the box situation, but is erratic and would be found out if he played at the top level team.

I guess we want both aspects - someone who can impose themselves in defence, plus fit into a more expansive attacking style...

1. David Luiz

2. Gerard Pique

3. Sergio Ramos

4. Thiago Silva

5. Toby Alderweireld

6. Leonardo Bonucci

7. Diego Godin

8. Jerome Boateng

9. Laurent Koscielny

10. Giorgio Chiellini

You talked good sense on another thread but I think you're wrong here. Almost all of these players are picked on reputation and the prestige of the clubs they play for. I'd never dream of having Silva, Luiz, Koscielny, Bonnuci or Godin ahead of VVD. None of them are vastly better defenders than him and certainly the likes of Godin and Bonnuci don't have anywhere near the footballing ability or range of passing that he does.

Put it this way, judging by your list, I've got a very strong feeling that a couple of years ago, you'd have been rating the likes of Otamendi when he was at Valencia higher than Alderweireld when he was with little old Saints.

Comments from Gary Neville on Sky Sports this morning, saying Sahko has found his level at Palace, that he probably couldn't play in a more expansive / ambitious team where his full backs will push up and he would be left with his only his centre back partner.

Neville summarised that Sahko is good in a backs to the wall, all defending in the box situation, but is erratic and would be found out if he played at the top level team.

I guess we want both aspects - someone who can impose themselves in defence, plus fit into a more expansive attacking style...

Jamie Redknapp said he's perfect for a side that is direct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You talked good sense on another thread but I think you're wrong here. Almost all of these players are picked on reputation and the prestige of the clubs they play for. I'd never dream of having Silva, Luiz, Koscielny, Bonnuci or Godin ahead of VVD. None of them are vastly better defenders than him and certainly the likes of Godin and Bonnuci don't have anywhere near the footballing ability or range of passing that he does.

Put it this way, judging by your list, I've got a very strong feeling that a couple of years ago, you'd have been rating the likes of Otamendi when he was at Valencia higher than Alderweireld when he was with little old Saints.

Those players have consistently played and delivered at the top level - Champions League and International level. VVD has not. Not to say he won't, but right now, I don't think anyone without red and white tinted glasses would class him above any in that top 10.

Those players have consistently played and delivered at the top level - Champions League and International level. VVD has not. Not to say he won't, but right now, I don't think anyone without red and white tinted glasses would class him above any in that top 10.

Hes regularly referred to as the best CB in the prem - not by all but by way more than just saints fans and so theres a few off your list already! Like any player he can improve but hes proving himself against internationals and players playing in the champions league the whole time - its clear hes in that top 10

Agree with most of what you say but for me Bonnuci is the best outright defender in world football

According to the Liverpool Echo his transfer value was originally £20m but he seems to be doing so well at Palace that the figure is now £30m in line with what you say

Don't know what the consensus was re Sakho after last night

Certainly didn't look like a £20/£30m defender from last nights performance

Why only 50m ?

We always undervalue our assets .....

If Pogba is worth 90 odd million and he is crap why only 50m?

Plenty of teams want him so get them to pay really highly for him..

Agree about his positioning which is quite often suspect. Don't tell the Barcelonas of this world though..