Mamadou Sakho - thoughts?

Dusic

On one hand, a French Intl with top club experience and who is only 26 and has a point to prove would appear to be a great signing if it happened.

However, there are some other considerations:

- He royally ****ed off Klopp, who generally seems fair and quite relaxed, on a pre season trip and hasn't played for Liverpool since despite central defence being their weakest area, with the likes of Klavan and Lucas preferred. Attitude issue?

- Served a doping ban earlier this year ans hasn't played proper football for ages

- Would be making a step down to join Saints, we usually target players on the up but admittedly would have no chance of signing him he if was regularly playing for Liverpool

- Has been very poor against us in the past and would likely come in as one of our highest earners.

- They want to sell, we want a loan but if he came in on loan and did well then he might have other options in the summer and we would then need 2x starting CBs once VVD goes.

What do people think?

Don't rate him at all. Seems like a bit of a panic signing (especially on loan). He'd be OK as a stop gap I suppose as at least he has Prem experience but I do foresee a situation where we will need to reconstruct our entire defence over the summer.

This kind of signing/target does slightly undermine our supposedly genius transfer policy of having targets lined up - we've known Fonte was on the way out since the summer and we are waiting until the last 10 days of the window to sort out a loan for Sahko, doesn't feel like this one has been particularly well planned but then nobody is infallible and maybe the board have just been caught out here.

Nothing to see here. Clearly this is someone we've scouted for ages and profiled at length as we do with all our signings. We know exactly who we are bring in to replace outgoing players well before they leave so I'm sure Sakho would have been a target even if he was in Liverpools first team, the fact he's fallen out with Klopp and been banned for doping is just a coincidence.

Think he'd do well for us and VVD wouldn't take any **** from him as a defensive partner.

If Liverpool aren't happy loaning him (with what I guess would include a buy option in the summer) then they can do one and we'll look elsewhere. It should be done on our terms or not at all.

I'm very happy with Yoshida starting for us but am slightly worried if either he or VVD gets injured, so we definitely need to get someone in if not Sakho.

Don't rate him at all. Seems like a bit of a panic signing (especially on loan). He'd be OK as a stop gap I suppose as at least he has Prem experience but I do foresee a situation where we will need to reconstruct our entire defence over the summer.

This kind of signing/target does slightly undermine our supposedly genius transfer policy of having targets lined up - we've known Fonte was on the way out since the summer and we are waiting until the last 10 days of the window to sort out a loan for Sahko, doesn't feel like this one has been particularly well planned but then nobody is infallible and maybe the board have just been caught out here.

Playing devil's advocate: The higher we go and more we achieve the more difficult it becomes to find available/affordable players of an ability to actively improve our first eleven?

20m is a massive amount, but when players like Ighalo command anticipated fees of 17m, 20m for a French international CB in his mid 20's does not seem entirely incomparable.

If Puel can work his magic like he has with VVD we could have the best CB pairing in the premier league.

If we can beat Swansea and WBA to his signature id be delighted and surely Liverpool owe us/Les a few favours?

Whats this about you being investigated by the police over comments on the internet? That's pretty sad if true!!

Liverpool fans love him

In this poll back in August, 80% of Liverpool fans didn't think he should leave!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/blood-red-liverpool-fans-must-11807346

Some of the comments - "Why would we possibly let our best defender go?"

Some question his temperament but that article shows him in a good light, his "drugs ban" was overturned and he's only 26.

If the choice is between Sakho and Fonte, I'd choose Sakho, especially if we get £9m for Fonte!

Sign a striker alongside Sakho and all of a sudden our starting 11 looks very strong!

I think he's a great player.

And to be fair: the doping ban expired after the substance was found to not be in the banned substance list and the case was dismissed by UEFA. You can't hold that against him.

He solidified the pool defence last season and the doping ban is an non issue. Just have to get him interested in playing again.

Posters on here question the clubs ambition....then complain when we might spend £20m on a defender

Who said we might? We absolutely won't, our club record is £16 million, no way will we be breaking that on a defender in January, not happening.

Who said we might? We absolutely won't, our club record is £16 million, no way will we be breaking that on a defender in January, not happening.

£8-9m for Fonte and £10-£12 adde for Sakho,its not beyond the realms of possibility......unless you are Kat Liebherr posting under a alias

£8-9m for Fonte and £10-£12 adde for Sakho,its not beyond the realms of possibility......unless you are Kat Liebherr posting under a alias

Its not our typical model.

Standard approach is normally sell for 10, replace for 4-5

However we do have precedent for this - we sold the useless Jack Cork for 800k and bought Clasie for £8m for example

Sold Boruc for nothing, bought Fraser for £12m

Edited by Heisenberg

Its not our typical model.

Standard approach is normally sell for 10, replace for 4-5

However we do have precedent for this - we sold the useless Jack Cork for 800k and bought Clasie for £8m

Surely we will become a victim of our own success by selling high buying low,clubs know we sell and ridiculous prices to "top" teams,so when we go to buy from them they must know we have ££ to spend AND that we think this player will progress and then be sold for top dollar, which then must put the original price up ??

I just don't rate him, if that is who Blackbox thinks is the one then meh.

I'd like us to look abroad for this one or someone who is getting regular game time (either for their parent club or loan club), hence why Chelsea isn't a bad team to buy from.

I'd rather we take a first team CB from a club smaller than us/similar size. Not a Liverpool reserve. Only issue is the problems associated with January market.

Never rated him at all, looks like he's never seen a football before when it arrives at his feet. But if he can head, tackle and run fast (which I think he can) then Virg will do the rest for him. £20mil however, is absurd. They don't want him, they're paying his wages, a loan suits both parties. Loan him, play him, put him in the shop window, they save wages and perhaps get the £20mil from someone else in the summer and we get a decent CB option to see us until the summer.

If Puel can work his magic like he has with VVD we could have the best CB pairing in the premier league.

If we can beat Swansea and WBA to his signature id be delighted and surely Liverpool owe us/Les a few favours?

Not sure if you are being ironic. But I think it is a fact that VVD, Cedric, McQueen, Yoshida and Romeo have all improved under Puel. And Bertrand remains superb

Not sure if you are being ironic. But I think it is a fact that VVD, Cedric, McQueen, Yoshida and Romeo have all improved under Puel. And Bertrand remains superb

Agreed mate, I'd probably add Sims to that list too + Lewis and Stephens.

Once he (Puel) starts getting a few breaks in fixtures he can start really coaching players and hopefully we will see a few Hatem Ben Arfa size improvements

Once he (Puel) starts getting a few breaks in fixtures he can start really coaching players and hopefully we will see a few Hatem Ben Arfa size improvements

Possibly. Just look what he did with Thierry Henry. Managed to coach him into being a very average winger who got his big move to Juventus where he struggled before Wenger turned him into a striker.

Never rated him at all, looks like he's never seen a football before when it arrives at his feet. But if he can head, tackle and run fast (which I think he can) then Virg will do the rest for him. £20mil however, is absurd. They don't want him, they're paying his wages, a loan suits both parties. Loan him, play him, put him in the shop window, they save wages and perhaps get the £20mil from someone else in the summer and we get a decent CB option to see us until the summer.

A lot of truth in this, if Klopp throws in an alarm clock I'd say 'done deal'. Liverpool mate, ST holder, says he is a beast; the media have him down as a bit of a lady's part. It's a long time (over-long some might say) since we had a beast-cum-lady's-part around the place, he might be just what's needed to get JWP, Redmond and Hojberg to the mythical 'next level'.

A lot of truth in this, if Klopp throws in an alarm clock I'd say 'done deal'. Liverpool mate, ST holder, says he is a beast; the media have him down as a bit of a lady's part. It's a long time (over-long some might say) since we had a beast-cum-lady's-part around the place, he might be just what's needed to get JWP, Redmond and Hojberg to the mythical 'next level'.

:lol:

Talked to a colleague today and he's big L-Pool fan. He Said Sahko is the best defender in their squad but after falling out With Klopp hes not wanted anymore. Should be a catch IF we got him.

Oh in that case, we really should sign him then!

Oops!! Well maybe not.

You've gone full circle!