A replacement central defender?

SaintJackoInHurworth

So, it is looking likely that Fonte will leave - probably to join West Ham. It is not clear from Puel's interview with the Echo whether the club are likely to replace him:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15035464.Puel_talks_Sakho_and_Fonte_transfers

However, what if the club do bring in a central defender. Who will they bring in? Here are a few possibilities:

[table]

[tr]

[th]Player[/th]

[th]Age[/th]

[th]Club[/th]

[th]International?[/th]

[th]Wikipedia link[/th]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Simon Kjær[/td]

[td]27[/td]

[td]Fenerbahçe[/td]

[td]Denmark captain (59 caps)[/td]

[td]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Kj%C3%A6r[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Jorge Meré[/td]

[td]19[/td]

[td]Sporting Gijón[/td]

[td]Spain U21 [/td]

[td]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Mer%C3%A9[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Iñigo Martínez[/td]

[td]25[/td]

[td]Real Sociedad[/td]

[td]Spain (4 caps)[/td]

[td]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%C3%B1igo_Mart%C3%ADnez[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Björn Engels[/td]

[td]22[/td]

[td]Club Brugge[/td]

[td]Belgium U21[/td]

[td]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bj%C3%B6rn_Engels[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Armando Izzo[/td]

[td]24[/td]

[td]Genoa[/td]

[td]Italy squad (uncapped)[/td]

[td]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armando_Izzo[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Olivier Boscagli[/td]

[td]19[/td]

[td]OGC Nice[/td]

[td]Not yet! (French)[/td]

[td]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_Boscagli[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Emanuel Mammana[/td]

[td]20[/td]

[td]Olympique Lyonnais[/td]

[td]Argentina (1 cap)[/td]

[td]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emanuel_Mammana[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa[/td]

[td]27[/td]

[td]Olympique Lyonnais[/td]

[td]France (3 or 4 caps only)[/td]

[td]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapou_Yanga-Mbiwa[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

I'm not claiming any of these are likely, but they perhaps fit the profile of the sort of player we might sign. Most of these are either just breaking through into their respective international squads or else play for Nice or Lyon, Claude Puel's previous two clubs. The only one that doesn't quite fit that pattern is the first one, Simon Kjær, who is Danish International captain. He is the one for me that stands out most among this lot. He also, incidentally, used to play for Lille in France, so he is probably another player that Puel will be aware of. He is also halfway through a four year deal and only cost €7.65 million when Fenerbahçe bought him from Lille.

Does anyone know anything about any of these and whether they are in their opinion any good? Does anyone have any suggestions of other players that we might look at as potential replacement for Fonte?

Not replacing Fonte this window would be madness. We already know we will need to replace VVD in the summer so bringing in one per window rather than two new in the summer sounds sensible.

And relying on Yoshi/Stephens/Gardos feels like a recipe for a long second half of the season to me.

Not replacing Fonte this window would be madness. We already know we will need to replace VVD in the summer so bringing in one per window rather than two new in the summer sounds sensible.

And relying on Yoshi/Stephens/Gardos feels like a recipe for a long second half of the season to me.

It will be a long and boring second half of the season anyway once we get beaten by Liverpool. Not going down, nowhere near the top 8, seriously dull football. I'd rather the money was spent on a genuine long term target than waste it on somebody overpriced now

So... it turns out that Simon Kjær has been linked with Chelsea, but his club deny any offer has been made: http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/11/fenerbahce-release-statement-on-chelseas-rumoured-bid-for-simon-kjaer-6374555

Iñigo Martínez on the other hand has not evidently sparked any recent interest, though a few articles have suggested he could be a potential transfer target and there were rumours that Liverpool were interested back in the summer.

Emanuel Mammana hasn't long been at Lyon but when he signed for them there were rumours that Chelsea were also interested and there are now rumours that Spurs are keeping tabs on him.

Björn Engels was of interest to Arsenal back in the summer but he turned the opportunity to join them down as he didn't feel ready. So who knows, maybe he would feel more ready to come to Southampton?!

Armando Izzo was similarly linked with Arsenal a year ago, but nothing since.

Jorge Meré was previously linked with Everton, but there are no recent rumours as far as I can see.

Finally, former Newcastle player Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa has not been linked with anyone since he moved first to Roma in January 2015 and then to Lyon the following summer. The other players listed above in the OP have also not attracted any recent interest as far as I can see. :)

And if VVD got injured on Sunday?

Not a chance would we survive with Yoshi, Gardos and Stephens.

with a lack of a goal scorer and goals in general through out the team and a long term injury to vvd on 1st of feb would i fear lead to one almighty scrap to avoid relegation.

its one hell of a risk not replace Fonte.

Have to agree here!! Leaving til summer and possibly having to buy two who would need to gel is madness

Suicide not to replace Fonte this window but since we didn't replace anyone who left in the summer it would not surprise me. Any half decent centre backs available for loan till end of season? Arsenal, Chelsea and United all have loads of CB's. Cheeky loan for one of them?

Getting more desperate some one like Micah Richards?! Better than Gardos/Stephens and just as calamitous as Yoshida?

and Bertrand will also be in demand in the summer.

This one will be interesting. Bertrand will only go to another club if he is guaranteed to be first choice LB (the reason he left Chelsea for Saints in the first place). If he goes to another club outside the top 7, Everton say, will be very interesting and show what our ambition is. Having said that, I think he would be first choice if he were at Liverpool.

What you is saying is realisticand I agree with it but what happens if we cannot to get a top class CB in the next week or so should any old CB be brought in.

Its the same with a striker I should think the club want to get in players but if what is available is not top class what is the point

What you is saying is realisticand I agree with it but what happens if we cannot to get a top class CB in the next week or so should any old CB be brought in.

Its the same with a striker I should think the club want to get in players but if what is available is not top class what is the point

Then you don't sell fonte....

with a lack of a goal scorer and goals in general through out the team and a long term injury to vvd on 1st of feb would i fear lead to one almighty scrap to avoid relegation.

its one hell of a risk not replace Fonte.

Agree with this

What is Steven Caulker doing nowadays!!!!!!!!!!!

Please post the link which confirms that VVD is definitely off in the summer....

That's a ridiculous request but we would be mad not to assume it, and make contingency plans before it happens, which is something I am afraid we haven't seem to have done with Fonte

I haven't agreed with much of your vitriol of late, but this is a good point. For all the supposed 'brilliantly well run club' that purports to be in control of everything, it's hard to believe that we might not have a replacement lined up given Fonte's antics have been going on since the summer. I know it's not easy to get a transfer over the line, particularly mid-season, but we've had 3 weeks to finalise things with nothing to show for it yet.

Player injured for two years, but we're going to bank on him a) not getting injured again and b) returning to his form/ability before he was injured.

Given that this happened with Rodriguez and has backfired, I'm surprised so many are advocating we go down the same route with Gardos. Plus, before his injury J-Rod was brilliant, Gardos was merely 'decent'.

There is bound to be a replacement come in for Fonte, Les said he wouldnt be sold until we had got one and if nobody comes in that means Les has told us a little fib and that doesnt happen, doesnt fit in with the open, honest and transparent club that is part of The Southampton Way :?

Please post the link which confirms that VVD is definitely off in the summer....

Do you honestly think he's going to stay?! Europes top clubs are going to be tripping over themselves to sign him. Triple his wages and champions league football or stay with us and try to keep us away from the relegation zone next season?

Reed said we wouldn't let Fonte go without a replacement lined up... Surely he wouldn't lie...?

Nearly every time Reed says something the complete opposite happens. He should learn to not say anything at all on matters which could go either way. He will probably claim plans changed due to the emergence (by which I mean a couple of halves of Prem football out of position and a full game at CB against a championship side) of Jack Stephens.

Does anyone know the most recent info on Jack Stephens loan appearances? Id be interested to know how he was coping in a lower league. Only really seen him at right back to be honest - dont get to kids games and so he could be another McQueen who slots right in (much harder at CB than FB i really believe) or maybe not. Love some info from someone whos seen him play a bit though rather than all the assumption

VVD, Yoshi, Stephens and Gardos should see us through till may.

Less players, less rotation, less problems :)

Failing that try Cuco or McQueen at CB

Or we could give Alfie Jones or Will Wood a chance

Here's the low down on the players

VVD - First name on teamsheet

Yoshida - Now First Choice by default - has looked shaky in the past but generally good this season

Stephens - ONE appearance at centre back where he was totally untested. Looked ok in a couple of games at right back but no real evidence is good enough to start in the prem at centre back

Gardos - Been on and off injured for about 2 years, and only made the bench once(?) this season with zero first team appearances. Had previously looked good in a few matches, but would be a massive risk to think he'll play much.

Cuco - OK as right back cover, again never seen at centre back but I've got a feeling could be a bit of a liability.

McQueen - Why would he play centre back?! We'd be getting really desperate if that was the case.

Jones - Looked pretty good in u23 games, but never made a first team appearance and would be a massive gamble to throw into mix at such a young age for a centre back

Wood - behind Jones in the pecking order, doubt would get a look in at the moment.

If one of VVD or Yoshida gets injured or banned for a significant length of time, would we really be alright with totally unproven players as their replacements. Maybe ok if we're happy to keep losing to save a bit of money, but would stink of Saints being cheap.

Here's the low down on the players

VVD - First name on teamsheet

Yoshida - Now First Choice by default - has looked shaky in the past but generally good this season

Stephens - ONE appearance at centre back where he was totally untested. Looked ok in a couple of games at right back but no real evidence is good enough to start in the prem at centre back

Gardos - Been on and off injured for about 2 years, and only made the bench once(?) this season with zero first team appearances. Had previously looked good in a few matches, but would be a massive risk to think he'll play much.

Cuco - OK as right back cover, again never seen at centre back but I've got a feeling could be a bit of a liability.

McQueen - Why would he play centre back?! We'd be getting really desperate if that was the case.

Jones - Looked pretty good in u23 games, but never made a first team appearance and would be a massive gamble to throw into mix at such a young age for a centre back

Wood - behind Jones in the pecking order, doubt would get a look in at the moment.

If one of VVD or Yoshida gets injured or banned for a significant length of time, would we really be alright with totally unproven players as their replacements. Maybe ok if we're happy to keep losing to save a bit of money, but would stink of Saints being cheap.

I agree fully mate.... but does Reed? Pages and pages and pages of posts during the summer saying we need a new striker, we need an attacking midfielder, we need a decent backup GK - we could all see it clearly, but does Les? Clearly not

My expectations for the season are being reviewed (lowered) every fortnight - you need to adjust or you’ll be constantly disappointed with SFC.

May - Top 6 again, good cup(s) run and Europe semi final + exciting football and goals, goals, goals

June - Top 8, good cup run and Europe semi final + exciting football and goals, goals, goals

July - Top 10, good cup(s) run and Europe quarter final + exciting football

Aug – Top 11, decent EFL cup run, Europe last 32 + defend well

Sept - Top 12, decent EFL cup run, Europe last 32

Oct - Top 13, decent EFL cup run, Europe last 32

Nov - Top 14, decent EFL cup run, Europe last 32

Dec - Top 15, decent EFL cup run, Europe last 32

Jan - Top 16, decent EFL cup run

I know Les makes plenty of statements that come back to bite him but surely even he would have to stick to what he said just a couple of weeks ago about the Fonte/CB situation. He normally goes back on his word a couple of months later rather than two weeks, right?

He said, we wouldn't let Fonte go on the cheap (OK, fee reported as £9m seems to be sticking to that).

Also said we wouldn't let him go without a replacement ("and Jose knows that") - so surely we will only let him go if we have someone coming in.? Surely

If we don't. an injury to VVD makes me shudder.

Much as I like Stephens and the prospect of bringing young players through, it's best to do that from a position of strength, blooding them at the right time (this is what has helped many of our youngsters come in and do pretty well IMO) not because you have sold your captain and then potentially have injury issues that force you to throw them in. We'd be asking for trouble and would smack of almost outrageous arrogance from Les for me.

Should say, I'm not normally all that critical of Les and think he gets plenty right, as shown by our progression over the last few years, but this whole thing is making me feel quite uncomfortable given our current ropey form.

VVD, Yoshi, Stephens and Gardos should see us through till may.

Less players, less rotation, less problems :)

Failing that try Cuco or McQueen at CB

Or we could give Alfie Jones or Will Wood a chance

A recipe for a relegation struggle - Fonte has to be replaced this window. We are not in a position to experiment with Gardos or Stephens. Why risk Premiership money for the sake of a 10m spend now.

I agree fully mate.... but does Reed? Pages and pages and pages of posts during the summer saying we need a new striker, we need an attacking midfielder, we need a decent backup GK - we could all see it clearly, but does Les? Clearly not

My expectations for the season are being reviewed (lowered) every fortnight - you need to adjust or you’ll be constantly disappointed with SFC.

May - Top 6 again, good cup(s) run and Europe semi final + exciting football and goals, goals, goals

June - Top 8, good cup run and Europe semi final + exciting football and goals, goals, goals

July - Top 10, good cup(s) run and Europe quarter final + exciting football

Aug – Top 11, decent EFL cup run, Europe last 32 + defend well

Sept - Top 12, decent EFL cup run, Europe last 32

Oct - Top 13, decent EFL cup run, Europe last 32

Nov - Top 14, decent EFL cup run, Europe last 32

Dec - Top 15, decent EFL cup run, Europe last 32

Jan - Top 16, decent EFL cup run

Agreed - constantly lowering expectations, and expecting Reed to ignore the obvious. Reed's done a good job in the past, but no striker and no centre back might be taking it a bit too far!!

Agreed - constantly lowering expectations, and expecting Reed to ignore the obvious. Reed's done a good job in the past, but no striker and no centre back might be taking it a bit too far!!

Agreed - have we reached a position where we are NOT replacing players. No Mane/Pelle replacement and no Fonte replacement. Bring on the relegation struggle, Les.