Maya Yoshida

Heisenberg

Good performance today, but it's one game against a woefully out of fom team, let's not get carried away!

Yoshi is a good centre back, no arguments from me on that. But he's still not as good as Fonte at his peak and we still need to sign another quality centre back if we want to maintain our league position of the last couple of seasons.

I agree Fonte factor had become unsettling so he probably had to go, but he does need replacing.

You may well be right, but Yoshi is only now, at 28, approaching his peak. His peak may turn out to be as good as Fonte's.

Good performance today, but it's one game against a woefully out of fom team, let's not get carried away!

Yoshi is a good centre back, no arguments from me on that. But he's still not as good as Fonte at his peak and we still need to sign another quality centre back if we want to maintain our league position of the last couple of seasons.

I agree Fonte factor had become unsettling so he probably had to go, but he does need replacing.

The only bit about that I don't agree with is that Yosh is a good centre-back. He's average, okay as back up. He's not particularly strong or fast, his passing is okay but he really lacks composure and is very error prone. The more he's relied upon the more his weaknesses will become apparent.

The only bit about that I don't agree with is that Yosh is a good centre-back. He's average, okay as back up. He's not particularly strong or fast, his passing is okay but he really lacks composure and is very error prone. The more he's relied upon the more his weaknesses will become apparent.

I need a sack of that for my roses!!!!

Very much agree. I think Yoshida has always been a great option as first backup CB who will come in and do a pretty solid job for a few games at a time. But I don't buy that he has suddenly massively improved and is now ready to do the kind of job Fonte has done for us.

If we don't replace Jose properly, we will be significantly weakened at the back.

Several posters have remarked that Fonte improved his game, so why shouldn't Yoshida?

I think you are suffering a little from misplaced hero worship.

Played really well today, marshaled the defense when VVD went off and played like a captain. We do need to replace Jose though, we're 1 or 2 knocks away from absolute carnage.

Exactly replacing Fonte isn't about weather Yoshida is good enough or not its simple mathematics of having only two senior CBs and an under 23s CB. Gardos isn't even worth considering IMO. So we need another CB (even a 1/2 season loan would do I reckon)

On the contrary, he is very fast around the pitch and strong in the challenge. I think his weakness can be heading under pressure at times. Agree with others; we do still need to replace Fonte.

• 2 months later...

How calm does Yoshi look in possession now?

His passing and touches are fantastic.

Always been competent defensively and aerially but great to see him slip seamlessly into our more possession based style of play... in his strongest position.

The problem with Yoshi has always been those short misplaced passes that invariably have led to a goal being scored. He seems to have largely cut that out. His strengths to me are his speed and his heading.

As a person and a professional, looking from the outside in, I am not sure you could ask any more of a player and that, above anything else, is why I have always liked him regardless of those mistakes.

The problem with Yoshi has always been those short misplaced passes that invariably have led to a goal being scored. He seems to have largely cut that out. His strengths to me are his speed and his heading.

As a person and a professional, looking from the outside in, I am not sure you could ask any more of a player and that, above anything else, is why I have always liked him regardless of those mistakes.

I do think a lot of the misplaced passes and lack of concentration were down to rarely getting a prolonged period of games playing every week has sharpened him up which in turn leafs to less mistakes.

what I dont get is.

Yoshida is better than fonte

Cedric better than clyne

Bertrand better than shaw

Romeu better than Vic

Remond 'fine' as a replacement for mane (as when he signed)

Koeman was not that good anyway

why are we so shyt this season?

Bertrand is better than Shaw.

what I dont get is.

Yoshida is better than fonte

Cedric better than clyne

Bertrand better than shaw

Romeu better than Vic

Remond 'fine' as a replacement for mane (as when he signed)

Koeman was not that good anyway

why are we so shyt this season?

Because we had no one better than Pelle maybe. Also, we haven't been that bad. 9th and a cup final is what most people would have wanted at the start of the season.

Because we had no one better than Pelle maybe. Also, we haven't been that bad. 9th and a cup final is what most people would have wanted at the start of the season.

I'd say Long, Austin, Boufal and J Rod haven't delivered what we had hoped, coupled with Virgil's injury and a busy cup schedule.

• 6 years later...
8 hours ago, Dellyears said:

He never had a proper farewell from Club or fans, and he deserved one

Great squad player who came up with some important moments during our most successful times. Helps that he seems to be a very decent bloke. Was a shame he just seemed to slip away on the quiet.

Wonderful to see him back, he clearly feels some decent affection for the club.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Would be great if he ended up as an ambassador for the club, he's clearly very well liked and would represent us very well globally as such an experienced international.

is this serious? He played for a few years for saints.....like countless other players

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

58 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Great squad player who came up with some important moments during our most successful times. Helps that he seems to be a very decent bloke. Was a shame he just seemed to slip away on the quiet.

Wonderful to see him back, he clearly feels some decent affection for the club.

Agreed Colin ....not to mention that he is the most capped Saints player of all time and won most of his 100+ caps whilst at St. Mary's. 

On 11/04/2017 at 22:23, Lighthouse said:

I'd say Long, Austin, Boufal and J Rod haven't delivered what we had hoped, coupled with Virgil's injury and a busy cup schedule.

Shane Long might have scored a few more goals, but was worth the effort for his blinding pace, those assists and a few  spectacular goals.

That late League Cup SF goal at Anfield , then the record-breaking " 7 second special " effort against ..Reading ?... ...and a superb 40 yard effort v. Villa.

Atlanta Saint ( above) has said all that is necessary), but Charlie Austin  might well be credited with responsibility for the Prem's introduction of  VAR.

He had a perfectly good goal at SMS disallowed (which was a featured TV match ), then ranted about it in an after-match interview,  and just

4 days later ... a Prem. League Chairmen's meeting saw it and agreed with him and didn't need much more convincing.

Boufal scored 3 of the best St. Mary's goals in the last 10 years, but did little else in his time at the club and only seemed to enjoy double nut-megging

defenders on the halfway line, but sadly could NOT  be described as a team player either. 

Jay Rod was unlucky on two counts. He had a miserable start with Saints, being played out of the left wing, whilst Rickie Lambert was first choice striker,

but when both later struck form they were a joy to watch, and both had their tickets booked for the 2014 World Cup - only for Jay to get a disasterous injury

that cost him his place in the England squad and almost finished his career, as he was never the same player afterwards.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

With saints?

think it's a bit of semantics.      Yoshida is the most capped Saints player having passed 90 international  in his time with us. (currently 126 caps).

it might be argued that Steven Davis..(currently 140 NI caps ) played more... but he won around only 70  of those whilst he was with Saints. 

45 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

He's the only Saints player to have won 100 international caps

If we go down that route then Peter Shilton won 125 caps, but most of them came whilst playing for other clubs.  Not sure how many caps Yoshida got whilst playing for Saints.

38 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Shane Long might have scored a few more goals, but was worth the effort for his blinding pace, those assists and a few  spectacular goals.

That late League Cup SF goal at Anfield , then the record-breaking " 7 second special " effort against ..Reading ?... ...and a superb 40 yard effort v. Villa.

Atlanta Saint ( above) has said all that is necessary), but Charlie Austin  might well be credited with responsibility for the Prem's introduction of  VAR.

He had a perfectly good goal at SMS disallowed (which was a featured TV match ), then ranted about it in an after-match interview,  and just

4 days later ... a Prem. League Chairmen's meeting saw it and agreed with him and didn't need much more convincing.

Boufal scored 3 of the best St. Mary's goals in the last 10 years, but did little else in his time at the club and only seemed to enjoy double nut-megging

defenders on the halfway line, but sadly could NOT  be described as a team player either. 

Jay Rod was unlucky on two counts. He had a miserable start with Saints, being played out of the left wing, whilst Rickie Lambert was first choice striker,

but when both later struck form they were a joy to watch, and both had their tickets booked for the 2014 World Cup - only for Jay to get a disasterous injury

that cost him his place in the England squad and almost finished his career, as he was never the same player afterwards.

Have you been in a coma?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

Agreed, he made over 100 appearances for us and captained us just like all those other journeymen. 

how often was he skipper?

People are talking about him as if he was some sort of legend. He was alright, and had good commitment...

• Sad 1

Having Maya back around the place has cheered me up no end. I absolutely love the guy, no if's no but's for me he is a Saints legend. Would be amazing if he was fit enough and fast enough to play again. Always thought he might come back one day as a coach. He seems to get on well with Saint Russ which can't be a bad thing.

A bit of Japanese Kando is needed here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 64saint said:

If we go down that route then Peter Shilton won 125 caps, but most of them came whilst playing for other clubs.  Not sure how many caps Yoshida got whilst playing for Saints.

I believe Yoshida won 84 caps during his spell at Saints.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farawaysaint said:

Agreed, he made over 100 appearances for us and captained us just like all those other journeymen. 

194 games to be exact.

93 players have played more Saints games out of the 1165 players in total (roughly).

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, 64saint said:

Cumulatively yes but I'm not sure Shilton got more of his England caps at any one club rather than Saints. I'm sure someone has the stats but wouldn't surprise me if he had most at Saints ,probably close with Derby and Forest 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

A very good squad player in his day, with a decent attitude but he’s 35 now and we’ve got four decent options at CB. A romantic idea but not one with any practical outcome.

Not at all romantic. Why would he be here if the powers that be hadn't thought it through and concluded that he might be able to help us.

If he's fit enough and fast enough he'll be good enough for this Division. Premier League it is not.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Not at all romantic. Why would he be here if the powers that be hadn't thought it through and concluded that he might be able to help us.

If he's fit enough and fast enough he'll be good enough for this Division. Premier League it is not.

He’s here, as the club made quite clear on Twitter, because it’s the MLS off season and he’s training to maintain fitness, at a club and city he is familiar with.

Sadly, once you start getting to that age, it is the speed and muscle reflex that start to wane. Beckham said he knew it was time to retire when Messi got the ball and took it past him before his legs could even think about turning around and going after him.

• Like 1