• Højbjerg
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Redmond
    • Tadić
    • Rodriguez
    • Stephens
    • Clasie
    • Long

Man of the match - James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

James Ward-Prowse

Ward-Prowse impressed throughout, scoring the first goal and playing an important part in the second. He ran the furthest of any player on the pitch (11.7km) and also led the Saints with 39 passes in the opposition half, as well as producing a team-high total of 10 crosses.

From BBC.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Good performance and again shows that-like the Liverpool game- if we play (arguably) our strongest line up then we have a good side.

Hopefully we might now see a bit of stability in the team selection.

Was Hojbjergs miss as bad as it looked from the far end of the ground? Not home to see a replay yet?

The linesman was in front of me. From our position it looked like Yoshida had headed in and that he was offside, which is what he flagged for. In fact Morgan was goal side of Yoshida, who wasn't offside. Whatever they may say later to cover themselves, it was a complete cock-up by the officials caused by the fact the linesman didn't realize it was an own goal. Fortunately, it didn't affect the result so it will be forgotten about.

He didn't actually flag, not that I could see. There was a strange lack of reaction and celebration when the ball went in the net and it looked to us to be an own goal. The two officials are miked up so they don't need signals between themselves. Indirect free kick was the result in any case.

Regarding the match, surely nobody could say anything negative about anybody? Much better attitudes all round, all very positive. Yoshida took no chances and launched the ball upfield if in doubt. JWP put in some wicked first time balls behind their back four, only a couple of instances of playing it backwards when there were more adventurous options. This was what a Saints performance should be.

Good performance and again shows that-like the Liverpool game- if we play (arguably) our strongest line up then we have a good side.

Was Hojbjergs miss as bad as it looked from the far end of the ground? Not home to see a replay yet?

yes lol

Prutton on the mic was in disbelief too, he said that it looked like schmiechel had all but given up and expected Hoj to find the far corder.

woeful miss in a good game from him

With VvD. he carried on for a few mins before going off. Then he walked off.

surely (hopefully) he is in with a very good shout to play on weds and it is just Puel playing it down?!

I think Vardy came down on the top of VvD's foot, so it's hopefully just an impact injury. If there's no fracture he should be good for Liverpool.

With VvD. he carried on for a few mins before going off. Then he walked off.

surely (hopefully) he is in with a very good shout to play on weds and it is just Puel playing it down?!

During those few minutes Leicester seemed to be concentrating on lobbing balls towards him. He was hobbling slightly all the time and after a few jumps and headers couldn't carry on.

Good result and importantly performance today. JWP had his best game in a Saints shirt and was excellent (from one of his biggest critics). Yoshida showed why Fonte really won't be missed. Just hope VvD's injury does not keep him out of Wednesday, we are light without him as clearly Gardos remains unready as he didn't even make the bench today. Hojbjerg was very industrious and worked his socks off, but some terrible passes got us into some bad situations. Someone really needs to sit down with him and help him with his shooting, needs to learn to take his time and that power is not always the solution, got into some terrific positions but barn doors must feel safe tonight. Well done Saints, now at least the gap to 18th is back into double figures which always feels like a safe gap to me. I guess Fraser's goals to shots ratio must have improved with the two dollies today. Mind you Leicester were woeful but you can only beat what is put in front of you.

Which one he had about four bad misses today.

Not really if you bear in mind that he had to shoot as the other two were both off side. He dragged it wide rather than put in row KK. He really should have made the goalie save it, and maybe he could have taken time to place rather than power.

What's baffling to me is that we didn't actually play that differently. We still kept possession when needed, made a few token mistakes on the ball but we actually scored our chances which hasn't happened for a while.

Seems there's a lot of unfounded "look I was right see" going on.

Couldn't agree more, main difference today was taking some chances, though we should have scored a couple more, Hojbjerg needs to develop some composure!

A marvellous,yet surprising result.

Just as I stated after the win over Everton......it's just papered over the cracks.

Onto Wednesday...a positive result will hide the downward trend once more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesus, you depressing tool. No wonder your wife left you.

I didn't think Saints played very much differently from last Saturday, the biggest difference being we took our chances today.

Clearly we need to reinforce in certain areas but the basis of a good side is clearly there.

A rare post from a board voyeur.

Very happy with that. Played better as the game went on and confidence grew. This result doesn't make us brilliant any more than the previous few league games have meant we're sh*t, have just looked to me like a team rebuilding and needing some more of that confidence.

So guess I'm neither a so called bed wetter or happy clapper but just an irrational football fan like everyone else. Thought a bit of play today summed up how irrational supporting a team is. And this is by no means a pop at Long who looked lively when he came on today, but when the ball came out of defence to him late on he tried a first time volleyed pass wide to Tadic, which had way too much on it and went out. We were winning 3-0, everyone applauded the idea, had we been losing he'd have got a mouthful obviously.

I do get the passionate outpourings on here, either from the doom merchants or the more positive of you. It's obviously a good release and often quite amusing and I don't think anyone should take it too seriously. What does get my goat though is muppets booing a player when his name is called out. Don't know if this was limited to a few morons in the family enclosure today or anyone else heard it around the ground, but ffs he hasn't kicked a ball yet, but he's already got people on his back. Redmond of course.

Thought he was ok today, some nice touches, would have liked to see him take on the full back a bit more, but solid. Hard to split Romeu, JWP and Yoshi for MOTM in my, rare, opinion.

Very happy with that. Played better as the game went on and confidence grew. This result doesn't make us brilliant any more than the previous few league games have meant we're sh*t, have just looked to me like a team rebuilding and needing some more of that confidence.

So guess I'm neither a so called bed wetter or happy clapper but just an irrational football fan like everyone else. Thought a bit of play today summed up how irrational supporting a team is. And this is by no means a pop at Long who looked lively when he came on today, but when the ball came out of defence to him late on he tried a first time volleyed pass wide to Tadic, which had way too much on it and went out. We were winning 3-0, everyone applauded the idea, had we been losing he'd have got a mouthful obviously.

I do get the passionate outpourings on here, either from the doom merchants or the more positive of you. It's obviously a good release and often quite amusing and I don't think anyone should take it too seriously. What does get my goat though is muppets booing a player when his name is called out. Don't know if this was limited to a few morons in the family enclosure today or anyone else heard it around the ground, but ffs he hasn't kicked a ball yet, but he's already got people on his back. Redmond of course.

Thought he was ok today, some nice touches, would have liked to see him take on the full back a bit more, but solid. Hard to split Romeu, JWP and Yoshi for MOTM in my, rare, opinion.

Just realised my username may indicate I'm on the rose-tinted, happy clapping side. I used to like the Killers.

Ranieri has lost the dressing room. Sounds familiar.

Also interesting that one of the theories behind their dreadful season on there is the apparent mistake of paying their biggest players huge wages not to leave, therefore their desire drops and they stop trying but still hoovering up the coin.

Slightly at odds with the received wisdom on here that that particular

course of action is the magic formula for guaranteed on-pitch success forever.

Them dopey Leicester fans, eh?

Much better tempo today and good changes at the right time. Need to follow this up some decent performances. Leicester were terrible and vardy looks a shadow of last year. But happier after that but just hope we don't live to regret the injury to Virgil.

Quality from Saints today, if only we'd do this every week.

JWP my MOTM, but good performances all over the park.

Reckon Vardy knew what he was doing with that nasty late challenge, the snide ****er. Don't wanna be traveling on Wednesday without VVD

Vardy got away with murder at sms last season. I was all for Leicester winning the title until I saw that game and realised how they were doing it.

Ranieri has lost the dressing room. Sounds familiar.

Also interesting that one of the theories behind their dreadful season on there is the apparent mistake of paying their biggest players huge wages not to leave, therefore their desire drops and they stop trying but still hoovering up the coin.

Slightly at odds with the received wisdom on here that that particular

course of action is the magic formula for guaranteed on-pitch success forever.

Them dopey Leicester fans, eh?

Huge bonuses are the way to go.

Big thank you to the "whining ****s". Without your incessant negativity, doom and gloom nature and repetitive complaining Claude would never have known what to do to put it right. Maybe Saints could take a few of you on in an advisory capacity. Careful not to get too good at it because if you leave for a Liverpool we'll all call you a greedy ****.

Isn't it great that everything turned out so well for you in the end. No more worries now that we are home and dry ;-)

Isn't it great that everything turned out so well for you in the end. No more worries now that we are home and dry ;-)

We are home and dry. We weren't going down before today anyway, but now we've got half a season to get maybe seven/eight points.

Or perhaps he might not have tried such a pass had we not been winning 3-0?

Beats me how W-P gets MotM when he didn't win a tackle or a header dual all day. Amazing how a goal changes nearly everyone's perception of a player. It was pretty obvious in the first half that his own players were ignoring him when looking for options for a pass. Agreed he improved in the second half.

Good post!

Reduce sideways passing - TICK

Tadic wide left - TICK

Redmond wide right - TICK

Attacking football - TICK

Get numbers into the box when we attack - TICK

Reduce rotation league game to league game -TICK

Quicker Tempo - TICK

Almost like the whining t**ts know a thing or two?

Great win, just hope VVD is ok or that decision to sell Fonte looks more daft.

Well played JWP and Cedric today

Upto 11th

True. However, I am sure you'll agree it was ridiculous that he didn't rotate Virgil given the important league cup tie next week.

Jesus, you depressing tool. No wonder your wife left you.

I didn't think Saints played very much differently from last Saturday, the biggest difference being we took our chances today.

Clearly we need to reinforce in certain areas but the basis of a good side is clearly there.

Spot on VFTT - what a miserable t**t Lard is. Anyone can see we have a decent side but just need to start taking our chances. with more clinical finishing we would have an extra 9-12 points. the trick will now be for JWP to play like that every week.

Great win today. Took [some of] our chances, also had the luck/breaks needed to get goals - which we haven't had much of recently. Leicester were poor, but we were pretty good, playing much like we have been lately, even in defeats. We just did it for longer periods in the game today.

From my armchair, watching a dodgy stream:

Forster was pretty solid, had a few long distance shots to deal with, but deal with them he did.

Back 4/5 very good. Hope VvD's injury isn't too bad. Stephens did ok when he came on, except for a dodgy giveaway pass. Yoshi really good - he's stepping up massively at the moment, isn't he? Bertrand & Cedric were great today, especially Ced (though he can't shoot either, it appears!)

JWP - my MoM. Had one of his best games, good goal, good passing.

Hoj provided drive, but my goodness he has to practise shooting!

Romeu - usual solid self, didn't stand out as much as recently, mainly cos others were playing better.

Tadic - best game for a while. Had [was given?] space, used it well. Well-struck penalty, huh?!

Redmond tried to jump on the scoring bandwagon, unlucky not to succeed.

JRod, Long both played their 'natural' game, poaching, passing, running. Long did well to earn the penalty, getting on the wrong side of Morgan.

Someone said we needed to get our mojo back. We got some of it today - gonna take a little longer to get the whole thing.

Played well , but they were woeful.

JWP played well , better than normal . That's the bare minimum expected. He needs to play like that week in week out , and then top it off with some better performances , and we may have a player. One swallow and all that.

Yoshida, OR & JRod did well .

Tadic average.

If VvD misses weds then it will be a real kick in the teeth.

Great to kick on from 2-0 up, unlike last season under Ron when we blew it . So well done to Claude

Really good effort today, we genuinely wanted it more and were a hell of a lot more hungry than Leicester. From the off we actually attacked them with a purpose and we really made the most of the fall back positions. We played with width and stretched the game, that made a huge difference.

I think Danny Simpson must have been on the lash last night, we had him on toast all of that first half. The overlaps from Bertrand were terrific and that's a huge strength in his game, hope we see more of that. Cedric put in one of his best displays for us I thought, defensively resolute and attacking with purpose. The left and right back slots today were absolute key to the outcome.

I know PEH will get some moans because of those shots, but I thought he played well in that first half. I love the way he can carry the ball through midfield and playing him in a more advanced CM role is perfect for him, I don't believe he'll ever be a holding type, but as a midfielder who can run with the ball between the line's he's probably one of our best. JWP stepped up massively today, very good on the ball but equally as good off it - always making himself available for a pass and picking up the holes all over Leicesters midfield, which to be fair was an absolute flaming mess.

Jay held the ball up well, really well at times, and brought the wide players into the game. Pleased he got that goal and he's getting a run in the side at last, looks to be getting back to the original Jay-Rod again.

We needed that though, reminded me a little of the WBA home game last year around this sort of time which flipped our season around - let's hope of a similar outcome this time round.

Beats me how W-P gets MotM when he didn't win a tackle or a header dual all day. Amazing how a goal changes nearly everyone's perception of a player. It was pretty obvious in the first half that his own players were ignoring him when looking for options for a pass. Agreed he improved in the second half.

Not sure what game you watching I've not been a fan of JWP recently but even without the goal he had a good game today tackling, passing and looking to get forward in support of the attack were all much better than he has produced most of this season.

Better tempo and far fewer sideways/backwards passes with no purpose. The wing combos of Tadic/Bertrand and Redmond/Cedric worked well - these are vital but as we know Puel likes to rotate so they don't get many consecutive games. Jrod led the line very well and got through loads of work and the midfield made more driving runs though could still do with more and PEH needs to put some hours in practising his shooting. Goes without saying that JWP had his best game of the season and as others have said we should now be expecting that level of performance every time he pulls on the shirt. My worry is that he only seems to do it against poor opposition and Leicester were certainly dire. Romeu excellent as always and Yoshi was very solid - the only downside was VVD injury. Please Claud, stick to the nucleus of this side and play them consistently with the addition of Davis when fit and we might see a few more good performances, wins and goals.

Edited by saintant

Absolutely delighted with that, not just the result but the performance. Much more tempo and rhythm to the game. Passing was a lot crisper and quicker and our fullbacks were making some very good overlapping runs. Hopefully we can play like that against Liverpool and get to a proper cup final again. It's been too long!

You missed at least 2 tackles in quick succession in the first half then, early on, and he won several headers. Broke up play several times. That's why he was MOTM, not just because of his goal and assist and numerous other good passes and general all round play. I'm not his biggest fan, but credit where its due, today he was by far the best on the park. Really beats me what game you were watching or indeed whether you were watching a game at all.

A marvellous,yet surprising result.

Just as I stated after the win over Everton......it's just papered over the cracks.

Onto Wednesday...a positive result will hide the downward trend once more.

If you consider today's result and this season so far in general rationally, soberly and from a purely neutral point of view it's obvious that Leicester did nothing more than paper over the cracks when they won the league last season. The b'stards.

Vardy is a jumped up thug. ( Based on when he was at Fleetwood ).

When you see him losing his rag and arguing with the officials he has the look of a man who, if you met him in town on a night out, would sooner smash a bottle and stick it in your face than shake your hand.

His 'tackle' on VVD today was a cynical and deliberate attempt to put our best player out of the game. And the nasty little c*** got away with it.

You should post more often.

Found out why Prowsey had such a good game when I bumped into his old boss and prospective future boss outside the ground.

Much better all over the pitch, anyone would think we were playing with Romeu's ball in the first few minutes as he snuffed out everything, Norwich aside we seem to have reverted back to our old style at the beginning of games where we let the oppos have a run around for 20 minutes, then we turn up and start playing more. JWP has shown flashes of today's game from him this season where he has been getting stuck in more, think he has benefitted from playing more often. Just like Maya who once more had a great game, seemed to relish having the armband and having to keep eye on young Jack who, I also thought did well when he came on: but then he shouldn't have felt too much heat seeing as he has been playing well out on loan for the last few seasons, in a league where the strikers are monsters.

More of the same please

:lol: todays approach being actually scoring our chances...other than that we played the same as we have most of the season but if it fits your agenda knock yourself out...

This. We haven't been missing a decent manager this season. We've been missing a decent goal scorer.