Josh Sims signs new contract

SuperSAINT

What were you arrested for?

No idea who you are, no idea who the idiot you're baiting is but if he's got shot of I think the moderators should give a lot of consideration to getting rid of you too. Your actions are, at least to me, distasteful and as St Chalet said there is a burgeoning amount of this on this board (notwithstanding). I'll leave it at that as were you the kind of person who was not reprehensible then there would be no post to refer to.

Good news talented & one for the future... can't help feeling this is being used as a sweetener to the fact we wont be signing anyone else though.... fully expect another youth player to commit to us soon but no other signings

I'm glad the club sees something in these academy players, because to me the likes of Sims, Reed, Targett and Stephens really don't look good enough. If Josh Sims wasn't a Saints Academy graduate and we signed him, I'd be completely underwhelmed. I'm going to keep hoping but I'm really not expecting him to make the grade.

I'm glad the club sees something in these academy players, because to me the likes of Sims, Reed, Targett and Stephens really don't look good enough. If Josh Sims wasn't a Saints Academy graduate and we signed him, I'd be completely underwhelmed. I'm going to keep hoping but I'm really not expecting him to make the grade.

It is a non populist view, but I 100% agree with you. The only one of our current youngsters who looks up to it is McQueen. The rest are exactly as you say - underwhelming. Reed - a booking in waiting, plus too small, Targett, too slow, Sims, energy levels deceive a lack of talent. Stephens I reserve judgement on, too soon to say. If the youth are what our owners think are our future (cheap options) then I'm out. I don't get the "one of our own" obsession. Don't care where players come from, they've got to be good enough. Current youngsters are not good enough.

If I wanted to watch the U23's I wouldn't buy a season ticket! But I do, and I don't get the excitement I'm afraid

Willing to be proved wrong, but the premier league is too demanding for blooding avaerage (short*) players.

* I'm not shortist, but our current crop are tiny. Premier league is all about pace and power, and I don't see either. Yet...willing to be proved wrong, but not hopeful...

Well glad you 2 are such great talent spotters. Have you ever thought about applying for a role at Saints as you obviously know better than those doing this for a living?

Well done both of you.

Not sure you need to be a talent spotter to recognise that the current crop aren't of the same calibre of Shaw, Bale, Walcott, Aoc possibly even chambers.

McQueen aside they do currently look average, but I'm hopeful that will change with game time.

For all Sims praise and potential hes only been given 60 mins of Prem football since his debut in November, shows Puel isnt blown away just yet?

People are wearing pink specs today so you'll get lambasted for such blasphemy had you waited until next week few would probably disagree. Today, I agree with you. Gape has already been shown the door no doubt soon to be followed by a few more when Puel gives up on them. Poor sod, I feel really sorry for him having to turn every one of them into a silk purse.

I think you're being a tad unfair here. I remember seeing McQueen's debut in the cup a couple of years ago and thought he looked nowhere near the required level. This season though he's come in and looked very solid, probably as good as Chambers looked during his brief stint ahead of Clyne in the pecking order.

What I'm trying to say is I think it's too soon to judge any of these players and they need more time to bed in. Not every player is a breakout success the minute they get their chance. I would say though that Heisenberg's point is valid, none of them look as good as Shaw did in his early games, but then again not many young players do!

I think you're being a tad unfair here. I remember seeing McQueen's debut in the cup a couple of years ago and thought he looked nowhere near the required level. This season though he's come in and looked very solid, probably as good as Chambers looked during his brief stint ahead of Clyne in the pecking order.

What I'm trying to say is I think it's too soon to judge any of these players and they need more time to bed in. Not every player is a breakout success the minute they get their chance. I would say though that Heisenberg's point is valid, none of them look as good as Shaw did in his early games, but then again not many young players do!

Is that even a valid comparison when comparing young players playing totally different positions?

Maybe he won't be as good as bale but maybe he'll be as good as any number of decent premier league players who do a job week in week out for the club. Not every graduate of the academy has to be a world beater if they were you'd only moan when they got sold. Sims could go on to make 100 international caps while playing for Chelsea, he could spend 10 years in our first team delivering solid performances or he could fizzle out nobody especially a bunch of Internet warriors know the answer yet!

Congratulations to the lad he has taken the opportunities given to him worked hard and achieved another milestone along the way to a career most of us would give an arm just for the opportunity!

Is that even a valid comparison when comparing young players playing totally different positions?

And that in all fairness to Shaw who was/is a great player, it's not difficult to stand out in a team that's just come up from league one in two successive seasons. Harder for Sims, Stephens, Reed etc. to stand out now in an established Prem team with a lot of experience at this level.

People are wearing pink specs today so you'll get lambasted for such blasphemy had you waited until next week few would probably disagree. Today, I agree with you. Gape has already been shown the door no doubt soon to be followed by a few more when Puel gives up on them. Poor sod, I feel really sorry for him having to turn every one of them into a silk purse.

Not sure on what the expectation is of how many will break through and to what level but I do see us maintaining our position in this league despite selling players that probably received the same welcoming 'expert' opinions as espoused above when they broke through the contract/debut stages.

I for one think he could develop into a decent premier league player, apart from being 5ft 6(just like most of our u23s), he's arguably the most talented of the bunch aside from hesketh maybe although he's looking a tad injury prone lately.

he's got incredible pace, decent technique, and good goalscoring instincts judging by his u23 and senior outings this season.

He's also only 19, so plenty of time to improve his dribbling ability, his shooting, passing. also maybe grow a couple inches as well (hopefully).

I get where you're coming from; some of the academy lad contract extensions are a bit meh. But not this lad; looks right up to speed as a creative attacking player, and I'm sure he will improve with time.

It is a non populist view, but I 100% agree with you. The only one of our current youngsters who looks up to it is McQueen. The rest are exactly as you say - underwhelming. Reed - a booking in waiting, plus too small, Targett, too slow, Sims, energy levels deceive a lack of talent. Stephens I reserve judgement on, too soon to say. If the youth are what our owners think are our future (cheap options) then I'm out. I don't get the "one of our own" obsession. Don't care where players come from, they've got to be good enough. Current youngsters are not good enough.

If I wanted to watch the U23's I wouldn't buy a season ticket! But I do, and I don't get the excitement I'm afraid ��

Willing to be proved wrong, but the premier league is too demanding for blooding avaerage (short*) players.

* I'm not shortist, but our current crop are tiny. Premier league is all about pace and power, and I don't see either. Yet...willing to be proved wrong, but not hopeful...

I will give you a very good reason why a lot are short asses...

This acedemy thing starts far too young. It's no good recruiting at the age of 8 for Gods sake.

There are plenty of guys who don't mature until 18 that get completly bypassed...

The academy could open its mind more....

This acedemy thing starts far too young. It's no good recruiting at the age of 8 for Gods sake.

There are plenty of guys who don't mature until 18 that get completly bypassed...

But seeing as we're going for technical skill over physical, the rate they mature shouldn't make a difference.

Also pretty sure we bring people into the fold up until 16, plus sign hot prospects from other clubs i.e Gallagher and Stephens.

Maybe so many shorties due to the low barriers to entry just now? Jokes :)

#banter #lads

I suppose in a way yes and in a way no. In my view certain players do just possess a certain confidence and aura (to put it in a cliched way 'x factor'), more so than others, which can be comparable regardless of position. There's also the fact that Shaw was only 17 and already more physically imposing than the 21 year old McQueen is now for example, and just as quick if not quicker than Sims at full tilt.

However, as Saint_clark points out, Shaw was competing against Danny Fox for his position (who obviously did a job for us at Championship level but was an utter liability in the Premier League) and in a team where Guly was a starter at times. McQueen on the other hand (to compare the same position), is competing against one of England's top choice left backs and another academy lad Matt Targett who's notched up a fair few appearances over a couple of seasons too. This team is far harder to break into, so for that these lads deserve immense credit.

To be honest though, my comparison was mainly based upon gut feeling and from what I remember of watching Shaw in those early games in 12/13 he was superior technically and physically to all of the current crop; hence why United paid £30 million for him.

With all that being said, these guys (Reed, McQueen, Targett, Sims, Hesketh etc.) all look very promising and could well go on to be better than Shaw will, only time will tell! I'm very pleased that they've signed contracts with Saints so we can find out.

Been pretty impressed with Sims when i've seen him as he offers something a few of the others don't - the desire to get forwards and take someone on. Surprised he hasnt played a bit more, but sure he'll get plenty of game time (mostly off the bench) to the end of the season, and I'm sure he'll improve his decision making and be a useful player for us.

With regards to the other academy products:

McQueen - been very impressed with him, looks solid at left back and offers a lot going forwards. Looks more of a natural footballer than Targett.

Reed - has done ok but nothing particularly special in the few chances he's had. Can be a bit rash.

Stephens - not really tested - wouldn't be surprised if gets ripped apart if plays tomorrow though... We cant expect him to come from nowhere to a first team centre back so hopefully we wont have to and he gets a few more games off the bench til the end of the season.

Hesketh - Real shame he seems injury prone as has looked the real deal in his few appearances. Continually the best player on the pitch in the u23s and can score goals from outside of the box!!

I suppose in a way yes and in a way no. In my view certain players do just possess a certain confidence and aura (to put it in a cliched way 'x factor'), more so than others, which can be comparable regardless of position. There's also the fact that Shaw was only 17 and already more physically imposing than the 21 year old McQueen is now for example, and just as quick if not quicker than Sims at full tilt.

However, as Saint_clark points out, Shaw was competing against Danny Fox for his position (who obviously did a job for us at Championship level but was an utter liability in the Premier League) and in a team where Guly was a starter at times. McQueen on the other hand (to compare the same position), is competing against one of England's top choice left backs and another academy lad Matt Targett who's notched up a fair few appearances over a couple of seasons too. This team is far harder to break into, so for that these lads deserve immense credit.

To be honest though, my comparison was mainly based upon gut feeling and from what I remember of watching Shaw in those early games in 12/13 he was superior technically and physically to all of the current crop; hence why United paid £30 million for him.

With all that being said, these guys (Reed, McQueen, Targett, Sims, Hesketh etc.) all look very promising and could well go on to be better than Shaw will, only time will tell! I'm very pleased that they've signed contracts with Saints so we can find out.

Hard to argue with those points, so yes, strongly agree.

:lol:

Not sure you need to be a talent spotter to recognise that the current crop aren't of the same calibre of Shaw, Bale, Walcott, Aoc possibly even chambers.

Well I think they've probably shown about as much as Chambers albeit they've not had as many opportunities yet, and 3 of those players got plenty of game time in the lower leagues against lesser players, whereas Sims et al have had to make their debuts and continue their development in the premier league.

We should also remember that aside from Bale, none of those supposed super star young talents have really hit the heights many predicted they would. Walcott is nowhere near what his potential was and has been frustratingly inconsistent over the years, AOC looks to be going to the same way if he doesn't get out of Arsenal. Chambers has gone completely backwards and is currently on loan at Borough, fast becoming another Jenkinson by the looks of things and Shaw has obviously had the injury set back but was dropped for being too fat early on his career at Utd.

Plus we should also look at Lallana and Morgan, both weren't instantly amazing and were written off by many but slowly developed into top players.

If the club has faith in them then I'm happy to trust them on that. We have been spoiled by seeing talents like Bale early on against lesser opponents that means there is an expectation for every academy graduate to come through to have the same impact, whereas really most players at 20 - 21 are developing their game and are inconsistent.

If they are still not performing well at 24 - 25 then maybe (even then you can get late bloomers) but all of Stephens, Sims, Targett, and Reed have shown they can easily slot into the team and do a job at the very least, if not a lot more. So I'd rather have academy players of 21-22 sitting on the bench as back ups developing their game than some foreign bought 27 year old that we buy for £10 - 15 million and costs a fortune in wages like most other clubs seem to do.

Is Simms or Stephens or Targett any worse than some of the dros players Liverpool or West Ham or Everton had on their bench, not IMO, I'd reckon they are better and probably more hungry to play and improve rather than just pick up a pay cheque .

They might not hit Bale levels, but if one one of them can be as good as say Matt Oakley that will be a success.

Is Simms or Stephens or Targett any worse than some of the dros players Liverpool or West Ham or Everton had on their bench, not IMO, I'd reckon they are better and probably more hungry to play and improve rather than just pick up a pay cheque.

I think this is the most important point - young players who actually want to play for the club are always going to give 100% and as it's written on all the walls around Saint Mary's and Staplewood - Hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard. Loading up the team with a bunch of dross £5-£10m players who are looking for 1 good season and then moving on - what tends to happen when that doesn't happen is they just don't care anymore and pick up the pay check.

Watched Sims a few times for U18's and u21/23's he was a real classy player who, more often than not, stood out as one of the best players on the pitch.

The game that stick most in my mind is the u18's demolition of Pompey, where he, and a few others, absolutely tore them apart.

I had my doubts about him making it at first team level (mainly due to his size) but it appears that he's taken it in his stride. Really pleased for the lad.

With a bit of luck, next year we'll have him, Stephens, Hesketh and Gallagher all in and around the starting 11. Maybe not as naturally gifted as Shaw, Bale, AOC ect.. However it's easy to forget (shaw aside) these had the saving grace of us being in the championship/L1 to learn their trade. I've no doubt if we where in L1 now, they'd be tearing it apart.

Fantastic contribution to a special goal from the lad.

Fast, direct and a perfectly weighted pass to Shane to finish it off..

Really impressed by him when he has had game time, and I look forward to seeing him develop further for us.

His run and pass were perfection. Liverpool never even got close to him.

Watched Sims a few times for U18's and u21/23's he was a real classy player who, more often than not, stood out as one of the best players on the pitch.

The game that stick most in my mind is the u18's demolition of Pompey, where he, and a few others, absolutely tore them apart.

I had my doubts about him making it at first team level (mainly due to his size) but it appears that he's taken it in his stride. Really pleased for the lad.

With a bit of luck, next year we'll have him, Stephens, Hesketh and Gallagher all in and around the starting 11. Maybe not as naturally gifted as Shaw, Bale, AOC ect.. However it's easy to forget (shaw aside) these had the saving grace of us being in the championship/L1 to learn their trade. I've no doubt if we where in L1 now, they'd be tearing it apart.

He certainly did last night, cant stop watching him, Long & Hojbjerg run it was perfection. Hojbjerg the foil, Long had the longer run to overtake Sims and Sims control just seemed so smooth. Fantastic!