Oriol Romeu signs new four and a half year deal!!

Wimborne_saint

That is utterly fantastic news. Was getting worried that he was going to do a Clyne, but nice to see him committing.

Honestly think we have better chances of keeping the "cast offs" from bigger teams like Bertrand and Romeu as they've already got their fingers burnt with the big club bias towards huge name signings.

Excellent - he has got better and better this season, we have no -one else who can do the job he does. I know it doesn't mean he will stay to the end of the contract , but it is a vote of confidence in where we are going as a club - as he isnt doing the Clyne / Wanyama tactic of running the contract down .

Good news! I still think we're a defensive midfielder light in terms of squad depth, unless Reed proves himself soon, but keeping Romeu (who has improved massively this season) is huge.

By plucking unwanted players from Chelsea, we've come up trumps with Romeu and Bertrand. Maybe a decent transfer policy for the future - as neither were expensive. With the top 6 starting to power away with the league, I reckon some decent squad players can be had from them for reasonable sums of money.

Good news! I still think we're a defensive midfielder light in terms of squad depth, unless Reed proves himself soon, but keeping Romeu (who has improved massively this season) is huge.

By plucking unwanted players from Chelsea, we've come up trumps with Romeu and Bertrand. Maybe a decent transfer policy for the future - as neither were expensive. With the top 6 starting to power away with the league, I reckon some decent squad players can be had from them for reasonable sums of money.

Good point. This is terrific news, and comes in a week when Reed has received a lot of justifiable criticism for not replacing key players given he new they were leaving, from Mane, Pele to Fonte. January is running out of days Les

Romeu has been a key success story for us this season. And but for our sturdy defence we would be in a dire situation now.

Mobility I'd agree with, but positioning has been very good in my opinion!

I agree in terms of his reading of the game, especially when the play is front of us; on the other hand, he can struggle when we're on the backfoot and he's required to track runners etc. Again that might have something to do with his mobility.

Edited by shurlock

We need to renew yoshida now...

Words I never thought I would read in this forum.

Game time has really helped him this year to find some consistency in his performances. All of a sudden he's become a key figure with departures and injuries.

How long does his current contract have left to run?

We need to renew yoshida now...

Don't worry Maya is a one club man through and through, just watch his interview of a couple of days ago. Accepts he is one of the 'elders' of our tribe with all the responsibilities that go with it. Has a decent sense of humour too. Guys like him would play without a contract!