We Are Marching On To Wembley!

Secret Site Agent

MotM vs Liverpool (EFL Cup SF 2nd Leg)  

503 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Liverpool (EFL Cup SF 2nd Leg)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Soares
    • Yoshida
    • Stephens
    • Romeu
    • Ward-Prowse
    • David
    • Redmond
    • Tadić
    • Rodriguez
    • Long
    • Højbjerg
    • Sims

https://mobile.twitter.com/Saintsfc_away

video at the top, from home end.

Now THAT is the best video to come out of last night. Seeing the away end go mental, the bench explode...brilliant.

Amazing!! Often tell people that hollow, distant roar from the away end is one of the worst noises you can ever hear, but in that case its just beautiful.

For me it's being surrounded by the roar from all sides when you're playing away and the home team scores...especially if you're in a stadium with steep stands and you have to watch thousands of people go mental.

For me it's being surrounded by the roar from all sides when you're playing away and the home team scores...especially if you're in a stadium with steep stands and you have to watch thousands of people go mental.

Agreed. The worst is Old Trafford because that ground is deadly quiet for our games but sounds incredible when they're all roaring.

Now THAT is the best video to come out of last night. Seeing the away end go mental, the bench explode...brilliant.

nothing worse than seeing away fans go bat **** mental at SMS. It usually means they have scored a late winner, or are skates or both...painful.

I suspect it was pretty painful for Liverpool fans seeing us do just that last night. That's football I suppose.

nothing worse than seeing away fans go bat **** mental at SMS. It usually means they have scored a late winner, or are skates or both...painful.

I suspect it was pretty painful for Liverpool fans seeing us do just that last night. That's football I suppose.

We've been on the other end on enough occasions.

I was at Roker Park for the evening game when we beat them 1-0 and they later got relegated. When we scored we all went mental but I was not too far from the Sunderland fans who were looking at us in a strange way, not hostile at all more curiosly jealous I suppose. I must admit too feeling a bit guilty.

Yep, I still have flashbacks of that David Norris goal.

Edited by shurlock

Wonderful moment and I would add Dellhurst Park to those. You have to live through all the years of turgid dreariness to really appreciate occasions such as last night. Something the camp-following glory hunters of clubs like Manchester United will never understand.

And our very own dalek who longs for finishing 17th above all else

I'm with your sentiments here !!

F**k me, how many dodgy decisions have gone Liverpool's way over the past 40 years at Anfield ??

B*ll*cks to this discussion. This is just media whining because they didnt get their dream final AND there is a good chance of another Leicester-size club disrupting English footballs "natural order"

Spot on. And not just at Anfield.

Just watched Long's goal again, a few times, and by my reckoning here are some [possibly] interesting stats:

Long was defending on the edge of the 6 yard box when Saints scrambled it clear.

Long is on the defensive penalty spot as Soares heads the ball to Sims, and he's about 2 yards behind Sims. By the time he reaches the Liverpool box (where he receives the ball), he's about 5 yards ahead of Sims.

From Soares' header to Long's goal, it takes 10 seconds.

It takes Long 8 seconds to go box-to-box.

Long started 'the race' level with Lovren, but ended approx 5 yards ahead.

Long was also about 10 yards behind the ref, Atkinson, as the ball broke. He ended up 10 yards ahead of Atkinson as the goal was scored.

Hojbjerg was about 6 yards ahead of Long (on the left side) as they broke. As Long received the ball, Hojbjerg was 1 yard behind Long (and complaining haha!).

There are only 9 touches by Saints players during the break away: Soares 1 header; Sims 5 touches running with the ball + 1 pass; Long 1 touch to control, 1 to score.

The break away was actually started by a Liverpool player (couldn't see who), when it was mis-controlled from Milner's corner.

As a result of all this, I learned the following:

Long is quick.

Lovren is slow, but not as slow as the ref.

Sims is as quick with the ball as Lovren is without it.

Hojbjerg is no slouch.

We ****ing scored and we're going to Wembley!!

Just watched Long's goal again, a few times, and by my reckoning here are some [possibly] interesting stats:

Long was defending on the edge of the 6 yard box when Saints scrambled it clear.

Long is on the defensive penalty spot as Soares heads the ball to Sims, and he's about 2 yards behind Sims. By the time he reaches the Liverpool box (where he receives the ball), he's about 5 yards ahead of Sims.

Long was also about 10 yards behind the ref, Atkinson, as the ball broke. He ended up 10 yards ahead of Atkinson as the goal was scored.

Hojbjerg was about 6 yards ahead of Long (on the left side) as they broke. As Long received the ball, Hojbjerg was 1 yard behind Long (and complaining haha!).

There are only 9 touches by Saints players during the break away: Soares 1 header; Sims 5 touches running with the ball + 1 pass; Long 1 touch to control, 1 to score.

The break away was actually started by a Liverpool player (couldn't see who), when it was mis-controlled from Milner's corner.

Long is quick.

Hojbjerg is no slouch.

And can you tell us all whether Long ran in a straighter line than Sims, therefore being shorter?

I'm not sure who I want. I think being the underdog against MUFC would suit us. On the other hand, you have to think that we can SURELY beat Hull (OK we did lose there but no Snodgrass this time)

I've had a long think about it and I have decided I want Hull to win tonight. It's close though, because United in a friendly has a romance to it and we might be better as underdogs.

On the other hand, Hull are sh it.

I'm not sure who I want. I think being the underdog against MUFC would suit us. On the other hand, you have to think that we can SURELY beat Hull (OK we did lose there but no Snodgrass this time)

I've just been having the same thoughts. Can't decide what would be best.

And can you tell us all whether Long ran in a straighter line than Sims, therefore being shorter?

It was pretty close.

Long ran pretty dead straight. Sims's run was almost in a straight line, except for that slight 'jink' after the centre circle, but at a very slight diagonal angle, so that gave Long an advantage, too.

Those 2, Lovren & the ref ran the straightest.

:)

Long is quick.

Hojbjerg is no slouch.

I enjoyed reading that.Thanks

It was pretty close.

Long ran pretty dead straight. Sims's run was almost in a straight line, except for that slight 'jink' after the centre circle, but at a very slight diagonal angle, so that gave Long an advantage, too.

Those 2, Lovren & the ref ran the straightest.

:)

What was great about Sims's run was the way he cut right, across Wijnalden (sp!!) and took him completely out of things. TBH I would have started Long instead of JRod, but as a sub, he does offer us something totally different given his pace. Too often we have subs that don't really offer anything vastly different. And it also seems that we are using his talents more. Too often at the beginning of the season we seemed to not send the ball over the top and release him. He had to wait and wait, and often got caught off side.

Having invested a lot of time and money hoping and praying for a last minute semi final winner that saw us through to Wembley, all my dreams came true. Quite simply, there is nothing quite like the feeling you get when witnessing something like that, at Anfield too...fantastic.

The scenes of joy and wild celebration when we scored will live with me forever. As Long's goal went it took me back to Barry Horne's goal against Bolton, Camaras' goal against Norwich, Lambert's goal at **** park, and Jhon Viafara and Rasiak's levellers at Pride Park. There might be a few others, but that absolute and undiluted pure joy and genuinely crazy goal celebrations are very hard to come by.

I pogo'd with the best of them last night. Nothing held back, just jubilation. It been along time since I got myself a goal celebration injury (its a corking bruise), but that just adds to the occasion. I hope I can get a final ticket, but even if I don't, this is the sort of experience and feeling that I have chased for over 30 years watching Saints. Not the wins, not the glory, just the buzz of a late winner in a big big game that really means something.

Hope you all enjoyed it as much as me. Que Sera Sera has never sounded so good (or lasted so long)...

Absolutely fantastic post. I wish I was there, had to settle for celebrating with my new baby girl which was still a moment to saviour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk