We Are Marching On To Wembley!

Secret Site Agent

MotM vs Liverpool (EFL Cup SF 2nd Leg)  

503 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Liverpool (EFL Cup SF 2nd Leg)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Soares
    • Yoshida
    • Stephens
    • Romeu
    • Ward-Prowse
    • David
    • Redmond
    • Tadić
    • Rodriguez
    • Long
    • Højbjerg
    • Sims

The nipper was there and said that after the match the tannoy played "Hey Jude". On TV I could hear the Saints fan singing "Shane Long" and thought that they were singing along to something.

Wonder if the decision to play Hey Jude was deliberate on the part of the Liverpool match day tannoy. If so, it was a really nice touch.

I'd like to think so. I was at Charlton for the game before our Cup Final against Arsenal and at the end of the game the announcer wished us good luck against them. Most of the crowd applauded. Of course, that might have been because they hated Arsenal.

Klopp moaning about "obvious handball" against Long here at 4:15. Arms by his side but he does move himself towards the ball and gain advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG9eSXcZ0aI

Yawn. He's all smiles and a different class of manager until he looses a game he should have won. Painful watching his post match interview last night. Very flustered and bitter.

Klopp moaning about "obvious handball" against Long here at 4:15. Arms by his side but he does move himself towards the ball and gain advantage.

It was called hand ball for a reason the ball hit him just below the shoulder, any referee that gave that would be slaughtered.

Great result my head said MOM Romeu or Yoshida, but my heart said Jack Stephens for his courage in keeping calm in such an important game. JWP and Davis have often been poor together but tonight they both had a good game. The two banks with no room between the lines playing on the break, keeping the shape was excellent. Dispensing with playing the ball around slowly and getting it forward quickly has revolutionised our game and we look so much better for it.

Would have been one of the harshest handball decisions ever given it hits him on the shoulder!

As an aside watching that gaol again Shane Longs first touch is fabulous the pass from sims very nearly got away from him.

Hands up - I was one of the many who thought this to be a step too far for our depleted squad, but I was wrong.

Puel put together a game plan that was simply masterful. Romeu was without doubt IMO the MOTM - just bossed everything in front defence. JWP in the last two games has somehow managed to find the extra something that has been missing in his game - hopefully he knows what that spark is. Josh Sims - he is turning out to be the real deal - not only pace but intelligence too - watch how he travels in front the retreating player before laying off the ball to Long for example. Stephens and Yoshi did a great job, although we did get lucky on a few occasions. Cedric and Bertrand were absolutely superb in defence and attack I thought. Fair play to Redmond who dominated the left side and gave them some real problems.

The only two players who looked off were Tadic and J-Rod - both looked tired and not sharp at all. J-Rod doesn't seem able to anticipate ball delivery into the box now like he once did.

Anyway - onto Wembley - I will be wearing my yellow 1976 commemorative shirt whatever happens. Happy days.

it was handball, but not obvious and can see why the ref hasn't given it.

I could understand if the ref had given it and would have been pi5sed off if it wasn't given for us!

That said, i think the ref had a brilliant game. Maybe could have issued a few cards to them for stopping counter attacks and probably could have given a penalty for both teams (shirt pull on Yoshida, not too obvious though and Handball for Long, again not obvious), but generally thought he handled the game superbly. He could have easily given a penalty right in front of the kop (which imo was a dive) against Stephens just before we scored.

They don't often get credit, but think he deserves some!

I saw on the Saints group on FB the goal with the Solent commentary attached that was fantastic, better than the Sky commentary, anybody able to put it up on here?. Also Alan Smith saying that Stephens tackle was a def penalty, he always has been one of the dullest pundits

Puel got the tactics right in both games. Dont let the ball into the penalty area unless its from a cross. Completely stopped Liverpool passing the ball on the ground centrally. Marked the players in the box but let players outside the box have the ball. Was brilliant to watch and Saints were so disciplined for 190 mins!

Romeo did the work of 2 players.

Yoshida stepped up a lead the line very well.

Stephens had a couple of nervy moments but he got the better of them and gets my MOM award just for filling the boots of probably the best centreback in the premiership.

Can't wait for the final and providing we dont get relegated a season where we reach the final of the League cup with victories over liverpool and arsenal on route is a successful season.

I saw on the Saints group on FB the goal with the Solent commentary attached that was fantastic, better than the Sky commentary, anybody able to put it up on here?. Also Alan Smith saying that Stephens tackle was a def penalty, he always has been one of the dullest pundits

I've always liked Alan Smith but his 'he's a very lucky boy!' did my head in. I can't surely be the only person who sees that it was a complete and utter dive, no contact whatsoever. The irony is that they got a corner when it was Origi that touched the ball last, and we scored from it. Couldn't write it! Still on cloud nine this morning!

F**k me, how many dodgy decisions have gone Liverpool's way over the past 40 years at Anfield ??

B*ll*cks to this discussion. This is just media whining because they didnt get their dream final AND there is a good chance of another Leicester-size club disrupting English footballs "natural order"

F**k me, how many dodgy decisions have gone Liverpool's way over the past 40 years at Anfield ??

B*ll*cks to this discussion. This is just media whining because they didnt get their dream final AND there is a good chance of another Leicester-size club disrupting English footballs "natural order"

There was a clear penalty against Yoshida in the first half - Lovern was trying to remove his shirt.

Often I think that you talk b****ks but this sir, is an excellent post and so true.

Obvious - that's a laugh. That floppy-haired goofy **** is just trying to deflect attention from the fact that his Liverpool side are a pile a ****e.

It's one of those ones that may technically have been handball but very few refs would have given it because his arm was in a natural position and it would be near on impossible for the ref to see in real time wether it was his shoulder or arm that made contact.

https://southamptonfc.com/matches/2016-17/efl-cup/liverpool-v-saints-2017-01-25

The highlights here are free to view and have Solent commentary on them, just need to sign up for a login.

Edited by Jimmy_D

Obvious - that's a laugh. That floppy-haired goofy **** is just trying to deflect attention from the fact that his Liverpool side are a pile a ****e.

It's one of those ones that may technically have been handball but very few refs would have given it because his arm was in a natural position and it would be near on impossible for the ref to see in real time wether it was his shoulder or arm that made contact.

Long's movement was anything but natural. That the ball hit Long so far up probably worked in his defence, even though it's still technically handball.

I was working through the game, but was sneaking glances at Sky Go throughout the night. I caught the goal live, and went ballistic. What a run from Sims, what a finish from Long! Great stuff. Needless to say I was going mental, and my cleaners and contractor on site were puzzled as hell until I explained.

I then watched the game all the way through on Sky+ when I got home. (A lot easier after knowing the result!) Stephens, Yoshida and Romeu were exceptional, I gave Stephens MOTM as he looked like he'd been playing for us for years, rather than being a youngster thrust into the spotlight after losing VVD. Liverpool offered very little, it's surprising how much better we cope with the loss of Mané than they have!

Losing more players to injury as a worry. JWP has really stepped his game up of late, but he went off with a knock, and Jay too. As good as the team spirit may be at the moment, we still need reinforcements. Especially at centre back.

Overall I was delighted with the game. We thoroughly deserved to win both games with our counter attacking style, especially with a depleted defence. Now it comes down to one game against (most likely) United, and a great performance and a bit of luck sees us with a trophy. Who'd have thought that a month ago. As ungracious (and wrong) as Klopp was last night, neither penalty claim was a penalty), he did praise us. He even said we were a better team than Swansea. I liked that.

Finally, Puel has made a few mistakes this season, but he has also done some decent things, like bringing through the youth. Next season, if we can keep VVD (the one player I think we're in real danger of losing, albeit for huge money), with the right additions I think we can be back up the top of the table fighting for the European spots. Sadly I'm working for the final as it stands.

It was clear handball, second one was never a pen though. Who cares?

I wouldn't say it was clear but Long leaned into it a bit. A penalty would have been very harsh and there were other instances where we had better claims, the shirt tug on Yoshida for a start. It's pretty feeble and undignified of Klopp to bleat about it, his side had 180 minutes to score a goal and he has to result in clutching at straws. Can't score a goal through good play or skill so let's resort to trying to kick the ball at someone's arms.

Pathetic.

A shout for Martin Atkinson though, didn't succumb to the 'Anfield pressure'.

A shout for Martin Atkinson though, didn't succumb to the 'Anfield pressure'.

Not to mention 'media pressure' for what was probably a global demand for a Manc/scouse final. He had 2 opportunities to award 'penalties' in front of the Kop and didn't wobble, that don't happen too often!

We could be 90 minutes from our first major trophy in over 40 years and if so Europe again. If everything goes to plan it would be sweet to see our Europa spot won at the expense of the other scousers and inflict a double dose of Mersey misery.

I watched the replay this morning in a very relaxed mood as I knew the result. I was struck by the performance of Liverpool being reminiscent of some of our high possession / losing results that we had under Poch early on. The defence on the whole were absolutely immense with special mention to Jack Stephens, he certainly played beyond his years. Ward Prowse impressed again in the first half and I was sorry to see him off injured. Highlights in defence too many to mention but the run from defence into attack by young Simms has to be worth a mention, especially cutting across the L'pool player running back at him, took him right out of the equation. And by no means least, S Long's extremely well taken goal to finish them off. Wonderful result!

Having invested a lot of time and money hoping and praying for a last minute semi final winner that saw us through to Wembley, all my dreams came true. Quite simply, there is nothing quite like the feeling you get when witnessing something like that, at Anfield too...fantastic.

The scenes of joy and wild celebration when we scored will live with me forever. As Long's goal went it took me back to Barry Horne's goal against Bolton, Camaras' goal against Norwich, Lambert's goal at **** park, and Jhon Viafara and Rasiak's levellers at Pride Park. There might be a few others, but that absolute and undiluted pure joy and genuinely crazy goal celebrations are very hard to come by.

I pogo'd with the best of them last night. Nothing held back, just jubilation. It been along time since I got myself a goal celebration injury (its a corking bruise), but that just adds to the occasion. I hope I can get a final ticket, but even if I don't, this is the sort of experience and feeling that I have chased for over 30 years watching Saints. Not the wins, not the glory, just the buzz of a late winner in a big big game that really means something.

Hope you all enjoyed it as much as me. Que Sera Sera has never sounded so good (or lasted so long)...

Having invested a lot of time and money hoping and praying for a last minute semi final winner that saw us through to Wembley, all my dreams came true. Quite simply, there is nothing quite like the feeling you get when witnessing something like that, at Anfield too...fantastic.

The scenes of joy and wild celebration when we scored will live with me forever. As Long's goal went it took me back to Barry Horne's goal against Bolton, Camaras' goal against Norwich, Lambert's goal at **** park, and Jhon Viafara and Rasiak's levellers at Pride Park. There might be a few others, but that absolute and undiluted pure joy and genuinely crazy goal celebrations are very hard to come by.

I pogo'd with the best of them last night. Nothing held back, just jubilation. It been along time since I got myself a goal celebration injury (its a corking bruise), but that just adds to the occasion. I hope I can get a final ticket, but even if I don't, this is the sort of experience and feeling that I have chased for over 30 years watching Saints. Not the wins, not the glory, just the buzz of a late winner in a big big game that really means something.

Hope you all enjoyed it as much as me. Que Sera Sera has never sounded so good (or lasted so long)...

Wonderful moment and I would add Dellhurst Park to those. You have to live through all the years of turgid dreariness to really appreciate occasions such as last night. Something the camp-following glory hunters of clubs like Manchester United will never understand.

I've always liked Alan Smith but his 'he's a very lucky boy!' did my head in. !

Couldn't agree more. I've listened to 5live,Solent and Sky commentary/ analysis and he's the only person who doesn't think it was a dive !Looking forward to seeing what Channel 5 say tonight !

Funnily enough the two die hard scousers Lawrenson and Carragher could not have been more complimentary and full of praise for Saints saying we were worthy winners.

So jealous of those that went.

2nd goal at Villa Park in 2003 ?

Wonderful moment and I would add Dellhurst Park to those. You have to live through all the years of turgid dreariness to really appreciate occasions such as last night. Something the camp-following glory hunters of clubs like Manchester United will never understand.

yes, that certainly was another thrilling day.

Straying a bit off topic but this was another one of 'those' moments, seems a bit insignificant now compared to last night but everyone went nuts when this went in

He was worth it just for that goal. Went nuts when that went in.

Had similar levels of anxiety watching last night to leeds away in the championship

Here's a list of some of the best footage posted on Twitter, for those of you who don't use it. Enjoy:

Saints' video of the fans singing 'que sera, sera' after the game':

A fan who managed to record the goal as it went in!

More 'que sera, sera' as the players throw their shirts in after the final whistle, filmed by a fan.

Another fan who managed to film the goal going in

Bizarre video of the day probably goes to this guy, spotting Sam Vokes of Burnley in the away end singing 'que sera, sera'

Proper footage of the bundle and euphoria in slo-mo, courtesy of the club themselves

And I know this has been posted already, but this clip of the goal with the titanic music accompanying it is sublime

https://twitter.com/Ahoybjerg/status/824398129260793856

Edited by saintwbu
hopefully they work now!

Here's a list of some of the best footage posted on Twitter, for those of you who don't use it. Enjoy:

https://twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/st...92726040944640

https://twitter.com/DARTHVADER_666/s...90073567346688

More 'que sera, sera' as the players throw their shirts in after the final whistle, filmed by a fan.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dale1978/st...84881409069057

https://twitter.com/LucyVHolland/sta...81603342336000

Bizarre video of the day probably goes to this guy, spotting Sam Vokes of Burnley in the away end singing 'que sera, sera'

https://twitter.com/saintfletch/stat...98271942692864

Proper footage of the bundle and euphoria in slo-mo, courtesy of the club themselves

https://twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/st...89688245399553

And I know this has been posted already, but this clip of the goal with the titanic music accompanying it is sublime

Thanks for the effort but only the last link works for me :(

Woah! Hairs on the back of my neck are standing up!

Love those goal ones where there camera is going everywhere in the mayhem.

Those links don't work because they've been shortened. On the page that opens, delete all the crap after the persons username and just find the video...it's the one at the top for most of them I think.

Yeah sorry its because I copied my post from another thread but didn't do it properly. All fixed now.