We Are Marching On To Wembley!

Secret Site Agent

MotM vs Liverpool (EFL Cup SF 2nd Leg)  

503 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Liverpool (EFL Cup SF 2nd Leg)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Soares
    • Yoshida
    • Stephens
    • Romeu
    • Ward-Prowse
    • David
    • Redmond
    • Tadić
    • Rodriguez
    • Long
    • Højbjerg
    • Sims

Suits me. We've beaten Prem teams in every round, including Arsenal and Liverpool.

Let's finish it in style.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

This.

Last time we were in the Prem the thought of playing the likes of United, Liverpool etc gave me the chills, these days I'm not scared of any of them. Bring it on, be nice to shut up another bunch of plastics.

I know it doesn't feel like it, but Hull are Prem too

Yes, but we can beat anyone on our day, and there won't be any risk of complacency if it's the Mancs.

Also, don't want anyone to be able to say "they only had to beat Hull"

What was great about Sims's run was the way he cut right, across Wijnalden (sp!!) and took him completely out of things. TBH I would have started Long instead of JRod, but as a sub, he does offer us something totally different given his pace. Too often we have subs that don't really offer anything vastly different. And it also seems that we are using his talents more. Too often at the beginning of the season we seemed to not send the ball over the top and release him. He had to wait and wait, and often got caught off side.

Yep, Sims's run was brilliant for that move - quite deliberate, too, I'd suggest. It was also very intelligent play, carrying the ball that far - even if Long had missed, much time was being used up. Even if he hadn't cut across, Hojbjerg was yelling for it, probably intending to introduce the ball to the corner flag quite intimately. I think that helped to distract Liverpool defenders.

Someone earlier in this thread commented how clever Soares had been to head the ball to Sims rather than leather it upfield.

Overall, a winning move.

I agree with your comments re how Long is being used. Maybe it's also time for us to stop relying on crosses so much and attack on the ground from unusual angles, as Redmond seemed to do so successfully last night. Pace of Long & Redmond, with Tadic trickery & JRod guile would suit that approach, surely?

I've always found Liverpool supporters to be very fair and respectful regarding other teams and players who play good football or show some skill. I remember being at Anfield when MLT turned their defenders inside out and scored in front of the Kop. There were quite a few in their crowd who applauded.

That's why I've never had anything against them (the Brenda period excepted). I've admired (enviously) their extraordinary success over the decades. Yes they've raided us for a number of players recently, but apart from Mane we got decent money for them.

Now Spurs, that's a different matter ....

Hull outplayed Man United tonight. We can take them toe to toe in the final with counter attacking football. They might have the more expensive squad, but we have more cohesion and more defensive ability. If we can hold our nerve, and execute our game plan to perfection yet again, then we are going to be incredibly difficult to beat.

Yes, but we can beat anyone on our day, and there won't be any risk of complacency if it's the Mancs.

Also, don't want anyone to be able to say "they only had to beat Hull"

Have to say if it had turned out that way I would not be caring one whit for what anyone may have said.

All that matters is lifting the bloody trophy.

Here's a thought

If we win the EFL Cup, we will qualify for Europe at the expense of the 7th placed club (possibly 6th if one of the big clubs doesn't win the FA Cup)

How ironic if we claim that European place from Koeman and Everton :lol:

Correct.

The winners of the EFL cup enter the Europa League at the 3rd Qualifying round. (Same as when we played in Arnhem)

Correct.

The winners of the EFL cup enter the Europa League at the 3rd Qualifying round. (Same as when we played in Arnhem)

Unless the FA Cup winners finish in the top 5, in which case we get bumped up to the group stage and 6th place goes to the 3rd qualifying round I think.

IF we win [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Unless the FA Cup winners finish in the top 5, in which case we get bumped up to the group stage and 6th place goes to the 3rd qualifying round I think.

IF we win [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It's in the bag

Got home about 30mins ago and I'm still shaking with the adrenaline. The carnage when we scored is something I'll never forget. I never thought I'd cry at a game but I just couldn't help myself.

I said to me son after the last game that we'd win 1-0 in the 90th min and Jay Rod would score it and I never doubted, not once, that we'd do it.

And to think, the wan_kers who decide not to go because we weren't playing well or you didn't like the manager. I hope you regret that decision for the rest of your days but rest assured, those of us that were there will never, ever forget the experience.

Here here [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Run for the hills Sims!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I quite liked that line by the 'Tater" on the night...he also gave wraps to Romeu, Yoshida and Bertrand and when the Long goal went in ramped up the narrative with a "and they're worth it" line as the qualification for the final was sealed. Good stuff.

I genuinely think that 15 days rest is too much. We'll lose any momentum we might have and fitness could drop. That's like a mini winter break. I don't know what can be done about it though. Unless there is another team that has a similar length of time off that fancy a friendly in between??

I genuinely think that 15 days rest is too much. We'll lose any momentum we might have and fitness could drop. That's like a mini winter break. I don't know what can be done about it though. Unless there is another team that has a similar length of time off that fancy a friendly in between??

That's a ridiculous amount of time not to play a game mid-season man u will be nice and match sharp for the cup our players not so much. Look what happened when we had a bit of break before Christmas.

It's not too much I don't think. Our team seems to be better when fresh. Puel seems to have his head screwed on and won't let the players falter or be complacent. They will be well drilled when the final comes around.

Just realised, we have Sunderland away on 11 February and then have 15 days off until the final. United also have a PL game on 11 February but then play THREE GAMES before the EFL final. They're in the FA cup on the weekend in between and also have a 2 legged Euro tie against some team called Asse.