Why Puel is great

FriendlySaint

He trusts youth. He puts faith in young English talent. The complete opposite of Koeman.

What a great tactical masterclass by the manager, and the players, over two legs. The fact we haven't conceded yet in the cup is remarkable.

Stephens and Yoshida are big players. We have three top centre halves right now. I don't care what the haters say about Yoshida. They are the same people that wrote off Stephens without giving him a chance. On the contrary Puel puts faith in him (and Yoshida by selling Fonte).

What a result.

FUN FACT: Interesting fact: Southampton are the first team in history to reach the final of the League Cup without conceding a goal and have done so the hard way, beating four Premier League teams - Crystal Palace, Sunderland, Arsenal and Liverpool - on their way to Wembley. They last won a major trophy in 1976, when they were triumphant against Manchester United.

Edited by FriendlySaint

Amen brother........lets hope he has found his feet. Encouraging signs recently (with a consistent goalscorer we would be much higher in the table) and now he has proven himself by taking the Cups seriously and not being afraid to blood youngsters regularly.

Bravo Puel - you have taken some almighty crap recently but he has shown he is up to the job just based on the semi final performances alone.

And well done to Les Reed and co for getting him - but now back him in the transfer market.

He trusts youth. He puts faith in young English talent. The complete opposite of Koeman.

What a great tactical masterclass by the manager, and the players, over two legs. The fact we haven't conceded yet in the cup is remarkable.

Stephens and Yoshida are big players. We have three top centre halves right now. I don't care what the haters say about Yoshida. They are the same people that wrote off Stephens without giving him a chance. On the contrary Puel puts faith in him (and Yoshida by selling Fonte).

What a result.

And he does as he's told.

Hmm not so sure that I see the spontaneous freedom you're suggesting.

Well assuming you are an employee, I bet you do what your employer wants you to do even when you are acting autonomously, just like Claude and I also bet that CP has far more opportunity to follow his instincts and do what he thinks is the correct thing to do than you do.

Hmm not so sure that I see the spontaneous freedom you're suggesting.

If you are suggesting it's bad for the manager to work together with the club for the same goals then you need to have a re-think. It's good if they are on exactly the same wavelength like you appear to be suggesting. He had the freedom to not take the job. He clearly agrees with the philosophies of the club. And look what's happened. We're in a cup final.

tim sherwood of our time

Out of all the non-sensical, negative, ignorant comments you've made in the last six months this one takes the biscuit.

Tim Sherwood was the manager who brought an ageing, slow Aston Villa defence to St Marys and instructed them to play a high line against a Saints forward line that included Shane Long and Sadio Mane. Not surprisingly we hit them for six.

What an absolute tactical genius !!!

Claude Puel on the other hand has taken us through to our first Wembley final since 1979 conceding zero goals on the way, playing Premier League opposition in every round. We have played 270 minutes of football this season against arguably the best attack in the UK and are yet to concede. As a manager Claude Puel has faced Liverpool 5 times in his career and has not lost once.

To suggest that Claude Puel is the new Tim Sherwood shows that you know nothing, absolutely nothing, about football.

Your post is just the last in a relentlessly negative, populist series of gripes aimed at Puel, Les, Kat and the club trying to convince ordinary fans that all is not well.

You're just a pathetic rabble-rouser seeking to exploit and twist any blip in our fortunes for your own agenda.

You should really change your user name to Bane.

I give the club back to YOU ...... THE PEOPLE !!!

How gutted you must be that we won and our performances are garnering praise from all quarters.

Your prophesies of doom are looking more hollow by the minute.

Out of all the non-sensical, negative, ignorant comments you've made in the last six months this one takes the biscuit.

Tim Sherwood was the manager who brought an ageing, slow Aston Villa defence to St Marys and instructed them to play a high line against a Saints forward line that included Shane Long and Sadio Mane. Not surprisingly we hit them for six.

Claude Puel on the other hand has taken us through to our first Wembley final since 1979 conceding zero goals on the way, playing Premier League opposition in every round. We have played 270 minutes of football this season against arguably the best attack in the UK and are yet to concede. As a manager Claude Puel has faced Liverpool 5 times in his career and has not lost once.

To suggest that Claude Puel is the new Tim Sherwood shows that you know nothing, absolutely nothing, about football.

Your post is just the last in a relentlessly negative, populist series of gripes aimed at Puel, Les, Kat and the club trying to convince ordinary fans that all is not well.

You're just a pathetic rabble-rouser seeking to exploit and twist any blip in our fortunes for your own agenda.

How gutted you must be that we won and our performances are garnering praise from all quarters.

I was joking ffs

the only comparison was Tim getting a team to a wembley final (against all odds) and beating liverpool in the semi's whilst bring through the odd young talent.

chill out, ffs

Lovely post. Well done.

Puel had no choice. No players and nothing else to do but defend.

You can't win anything with kids.

Time to buy a quality striker and centre back.

Time to spend URGENTLY.

Reinforcements needed. Not transfer money pocketed.

I still don't rate Puel, we won as a result of a hungry attacking youngster and a striker doing his job in the last few minutes - that's how to do the last third of the pitch! Well done Sims and Longy for going against the managers instructions to park the bus and keep hoofing it back to the opposition.

Puel is mediocre. Some of our players are great, most are good.

Romeu, Forster, Sims and Longy won that game through individual performances. I don't buy this Puel love in I'm afraid....

But happy to be proven wrong. I won't be as long as the gradual erosion of our team is allowed to take place by selling players and failing to reinvest and bring in a quality manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to spend URGENTLY.

I still don't rate Puel, we won as a result of a hungry attacking youngster and a striker doing his job in the last few minutes - that's how to do the last third of the pitch! Well done Sims and Longy for going against the managers instructions to park the bus and keep hoofing it back to the opposition.

Romeu, Forster, Sims and Longy won that game through individual performances. I don't buy this Puel love in I'm afraid....

But happy to be proven wrong. I won't be as long as the gradual erosion of our team is allowed to take place by selling players and failing to reinvest and bring in a quality manager.

You must be gutted today. We all feel for you, and I hope you get through it ok

He knows what he is doing and is obviously very tactically astute, him and the team deserve great credit for the performances against a very good Liverpool team.

Hopefully this will breed more confidence and we can now kick on in the league.

My only gripe this season is consistency, Puel seems to be struggling to get the players to hit the consistent high levels of performance they obviously have in them.

(plus we need to take more chances)

It's probably why people have been so dissapointed at times this season, at times we can produce excellent and high quality attacking football, which you watch and then see some of the dross performances we have served up at other times and you are left scratching your head.

Hopefully we'll get in a couple of new players to freshen up the squad before the end of the window (but not panic buys) and the players will continue to 'get' what Puel wants them to do and we'll go from there.

If we can win the league cup and get in say the top 8 then no one will really complain at the end of the season, then the real key will be trying to get through the summer with some stability and actually improve the squad rather than replacing people we lose.

As much as Puel got it wrong in Europe, he got it right against Liverpool. He delivered, as, of course, did a team missing three or four key components. No one can take the Wembley appearance off his CV now, or out of the history of Saints. Without Puel and his rotation we could not have had the strength in depth or experience to win the semi. Koeman wouldn't have tested and brought through Sims, Stephens, McQueen and the others that made last night possible. How much more could or would we be doing with someone better able to take chances in the box?

Whilst Puel will never be the media or fans darling like Klopp, and he doesn't have the ability or possibly want to be a great public speaker, he is clearly doing something with his squad and results. It isn't always pretty, it doesn't always work, but he has only had six months and in that time look at the difference in Yoshida, Romeu and now even Redmond, never mind the youngsters.

Keep the faith. We are Saints.

Time to spend URGENTLY.

:mcinnes:

Time to spend URGENTLY.

Please f*ck off

Time to spend URGENTLY.

Classic Richmond. :spaz:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jan/26/claude-puel-southampton-efl-cup-liverpool

Neither Mauricio Pochettino nor Ronald Koeman, Puel’s immediate predecessors, led Southampton to a major final. Puel, simply, has delivered where others have failed and it is worth considering that he inherited a weaker squad than Koeman.

Puel does not carry the same aura as Pochettino or Koeman but he is slowly endearing himself to Southampton supporters. He dropped his usual low-key demeanour on Wednesday too, running down the touchline before clenching both fists in the air to celebrate Long’s winner.

He knows what he is doing and is obviously very tactically astute, him and the team deserve great credit for the performances against a very good Liverpool team.

Hopefully this will breed more confidence and we can now kick on in the league.

My only gripe this season is consistency, Puel seems to be struggling to get the players to hit the consistent high levels of performance they obviously have in them.

(plus we need to take more chances)

It's probably why people have been so dissapointed at times this season, at times we can produce excellent and high quality attacking football, which you watch and then see some of the dross performances we have served up at other times and you are left scratching your head.

Hopefully we'll get in a couple of new players to freshen up the squad before the end of the window (but not panic buys) and the players will continue to 'get' what Puel wants them to do and we'll go from there.

If we can win the league cup and get in say the top 8 then no one will really complain at the end of the season, then the real key will be trying to get through the summer with some stability and actually improve the squad rather than replacing people we lose.

Great summation of where we are.

It's true that we have been inconsistent and it's certainly true that we have suffered from not taking our chances.

One thing you neglected to mention is the number of young players who featured last night. Stephens, JWP, Redmond, Hojbjerg and Sims are all 22 or under.

There is a lot of scope for improvement and greater consistency moving forward as these and other players (Boufal, McQueen, Targett, Reed, Hesketh, etc.) grow but, as you say, we have to make an effort to keep this squad together come the summer and get some stability.

Time to spend URGENTLY.

hAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

You are genuinely upset and bitter Saints are in the final. You aren't a real fan.

Great summation of where we are.

It's true that we have been inconsistent and it's certainly true that we have suffered from not taking our chances.

One thing you neglected to mention is the number of young players who featured last night. Stephens, JWP, Redmond, Hojbjerg and Sims are all 22 or under.

There is a lot of scope for improvement and greater consistency moving forward as these and other players (Boufal, McQueen, Targett, Reed, Hesketh, etc.) grow but, as you say, we have to make an effort to keep this squad together come the summer and get some stability.

Yeh very true, lots of potential there I think we've already seen some improvement in players and that is what Puel was brought in to do. It's just crucial that we through next summer without too much damage to the squad and add some extra quality, that way the squad improves two ways, we have some extra quality players and the young players improve as well and we could potentially be much stronger next year.

It's just the that worry that we have to firefight every season to get back to the same level.

What a result.

FUN FACT: Interesting fact: Southampton are the first team in history to reach the final of the League Cup without conceding a goal and have done so the hard way, beating four Premier League teams - Crystal Palace, Sunderland, Arsenal and Liverpool - on their way to Wembley. They last won a major trophy in 1976, when they were triumphant against Manchester United.

Unfortunately that is incorrect as Spurs did it in the 1981/1982 season. We will be the first to win it without conceding should we keep a clean sheet in the final and win though, as they then lost 3-1 to......... Liverpool.

Unfortunately that is incorrect as Spurs did it in the 1981/1982 season. We will be the first to win it without conceding should we keep a clean sheet in the final and win though, as they then lost 3-1 to......... Liverpool.

Unfortunately the most Claude Puel thing we could do is maintain the record including the final and still not win the flippin' cup.

But once we get Gabbiadini in, it's goals goals goals so should be fine.

Unfortunately the most Claude Puel thing we could do is maintain the record including the final and still not win the flippin' cup.

But once we get Gabbiadini in, it's goals goals goals so should be fine.

On the plus side if it goes to Pens at least Les had the foresight to sell Pelle....

On the plus side if it goes to Pens at least Les had the foresight to sell Pelle....

Yeah but with Forster in nets we've no chance, I can't think of one pen he's got anywhere near. Need to hold back a sub & do what LVH did in the World Cup, get another keeper on for the pens