Results 1 to 36 of 36

Thread: Ye Olde Days

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    12,775

    Default Ye Olde Days

    Bit bored tonight so I've been on youtube and came across a couple of videos very old saints games. Considering both these games were played before I was even a twinkle in my parents eyes I found them quite interesting and amusing and thought I'd share. I'm sure some the old boys on here might even remember the original games

    First up Arsenal boxing day 1970-71 season. Epic game from the saints keeper but those wintery conditions wow


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    12,775

    Default

    Second Wolves v Southampton, 9th October 1971. Interesting reffing decisions two indirect free kicks (can't remember the last time I saw one of those) including one for a foul in the box



    anyway some might find them interesting

  3. #3

    Default

    Often said that was Eric Martin's best game for us.

    Notice he's playing without gloves.They were hardy breed in those days.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    12,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Often said that was Eric Martin's best game for us.

    Notice he's playing without gloves.They were hardy breed in those days.
    I didn't blimey must have hands of stone. I work outside for a living and if I whack an extremity like a hand or finger in cold weather it hurts like hell so god knows what stopping a hard struck football with bare hands in sub zero temperatures felt like.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Often said that was Eric Martin's best game for us.

    Notice he's playing without gloves.They were hardy breed in those days.
    I think Eric Martins best game was away to Everton(?)

    We won 1-0 and Eric was given 10/10 in the Sunday People ratings.

    If I remember correctly Peter Bonetti was one of the first top team 'keepers who wore gloves - thin green ones.

    Don't forget that the balls were leather then and got heavier when wet.

    Keepers were also liable to get clattered from opposing forwards.

    Tony Godfrey, one of our keepers when I first started watching was only about 5'8" tall

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    I didn't blimey must have hands of stone. I work outside for a living and if I whack an extremity like a hand or finger in cold weather it hurts like hell so god knows what stopping a hard struck football with bare hands in sub zero temperatures felt like.
    And the balls weighed a ton! Oooeer missus

  7. Default

    That foul on Channon at 2:30 leading up to our 2nd being an indirect only. How times have changed.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    cowshed
    Posts
    43

    Default

    i went to that game coldest I have ever been at a match eric martin was brilliant that day if look you at again he had gloves on second half

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Bit bored tonight so I've been on youtube and came across a couple of videos very old saints games. Considering both these games were played before I was even a twinkle in my parents eyes I found them quite interesting and amusing and thought I'd share. I'm sure some the old boys on here might even remember the original games

    First up Arsenal boxing day 1970-71 season. Epic game from the saints keeper but those wintery conditions wow

    Thanks, I was at that game. Most of the Saints fans were on the icy open terrace of the Clock End but a small group of us went onto the North Bank because it was covered and more crowded so it was warmer. The Arsenal fans were a bit surprised to hear OWTS being sung in their home end. I don't know what the exact stats were but it seemed like Arsenal had about 85% possession and at least 25 shots at our goal while we hardly crossed the halfway line. It was the most one-sided draw I've ever seen and a very satisfying away point against the great double winning Arsenal team. Eric Martin was an acrobatic but erratic Scottish goalkeeper and that was by far his best game for Saints. 1970-71 was one of my favourite seasons. We had a formidable defence with John McGrath and Jimmy Gabriel the latter day equivalent of Fonte and van Dijk.

  10. #10

    Default

    I too was at the Arsenal... Never been so cold in my life.

    Don't remember too much about it to be honest, but I do recall being hit by 'snowballs' from the home end.

    They had snow on the outside, lumps of concrete on the inside...!!

  11. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spyinthesky View Post
    I think Eric Martins best game was away to Everton(?)

    We won 1-0 and Eric was given 10/10 in the Sunday People ratings.
    That would have been his debut in March 67. Chivers scored for us.

    I was at that game and the 2 shown on yew chew. We were behind the goal we scored at but not the ones wearing colours, who if I recall got a good kicking later on.

    That was in 1971, the week after Hughie Fisher had his leg broken by Bob Wilson and most of Wolverhampton is still stuck in that time zone.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    8,652
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Modern football is rubbish.

  13. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Second Wolves v Southampton, 9th October 1971. Interesting reffing decisions two indirect free kicks (can't remember the last time I saw one of those) including one for a foul in the box



    anyway some might find them interesting
    Haha, Channon got completely taken out in the box and its an indirect free kick! Like you say, never see them given now (in or outside the box).

    On another note, it's no wonder they never needed a rest in those days - the pace of the game was so slow it was virtually like having a rest on match day.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    12,775

    Default

    Found another one FA cup game. Saints cruising end up drawing 3-3 seems somethings never change

    York City 3 Southampton 3 - 23.01.71



    Interesting to see players playing the ball back to the keeper to pick up (when did the back pass rule come in?) and players standing on the keeper to stopping him kicking the ball out something I remember from my youth but you don't see much in games now.

    Love the York ground to looks like they are playing on a sandpit/mud bath hybrid surrounded by a garden fence

  15. #15

    Default

    Some lessons for modern day footballers. The way the headers attacked the crosses rather than standing underneath. Painey's crosses and through balls right on the money, Channon getting across defenders.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    12,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by derry View Post
    Some lessons for modern day footballers. The way the headers attacked the crosses rather than standing underneath. Painey's crosses and through balls right on the money, Channon getting across defenders.
    and all paid about 77 quid a week to do it...


  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Second Wolves v Southampton, 9th October 1971. Interesting reffing decisions two indirect free kicks (can't remember the last time I saw one of those) including one for a foul in the box



    anyway some might find them interesting

    Loved it. Referee in fairness had a nightmare!

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Found another one FA cup game. Saints cruising end up drawing 3-3 seems somethings never change

    York City 3 Southampton 3 - 23.01.71



    Interesting to see players playing the ball back to the keeper to pick up (when did the back pass rule come in?) and players standing on the keeper to stopping him kicking the ball out something I remember from my youth but you don't see much in games now.

    Love the York ground to looks like they are playing on a sandpit/mud bath hybrid surrounded by a garden fence
    Brought in during 1992 as a result of the 1990 World Cup. Some of us oldies remember shouting 'steps' to the referee well before that when they were prevented from running around the penalty area with the ball. Some teams just used to waste time by passing the ball backwards and forwards between the goalkeeper and a defender.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Netley
    Posts
    676

    Default

    Where the video of saints 3 west ham 3 with saints coming back from 0-3 down that was on MOD I recall . Terry Paine equalised .. don't want see Leeds away thou

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    12,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by explorer saint View Post
    Where the video of saints 3 west ham 3 with saints coming back from 0-3 down that was on MOD I recall . Terry Paine equalised .. don't want see Leeds away thou
    this one?


  21. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Netley
    Posts
    676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    this one?


    Thank you !

  22. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Found another one FA cup game. Saints cruising end up drawing 3-3 seems somethings never change

    York City 3 Southampton 3 - 23.01.71



    Interesting to see players playing the ball back to the keeper to pick up (when did the back pass rule come in?) and players standing on the keeper to stopping him kicking the ball out something I remember from my youth but you don't see much in games now.

    Love the York ground to looks like they are playing on a sandpit/mud bath hybrid surrounded by a garden fence
    'Twas there that day.
    Drove over from Leeds in my 1962 Triumph Herald and pleased to catch up with mates from Southampton.
    York City had their club flag flying in a corner of the ground which was being taken down (presumably as a sign of 'surrender'), to the cheers of quite a reasonable contingent of Saints fans in the covered shed where the TV cameras
    were, when York scored the first of their two late goals.
    We won the replay.
    Didn't realise that Albert Johannsen was playing left wing for York on the day.
    For those who don't know he was one of the very first foreign born players to be signed for a top English club when he turned out (with distinction) for Leeds.
    He was a South African

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    this one?

    I was at this game, it was a cracker I think, sure that's Rednapp scurrying down the wing for them

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wheelsucking at the back of the group!
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mickn View Post
    I was at this game, it was a cracker I think, sure that's Rednapp scurrying down the wing for them
    I was there too. A game I'll not forget in a hurry for more reasons than the match itself. I'd moved in the summer over to near Fordingbridge and it was the first time I'd caught up with old school mates. They told me of a friend who had become seriously ill. Sadly that friend didn't live to see his 14th birthday. Poignant memories. To this day I have a signed photo of the squad which was given to me by his mum when he visited the Dell towards the end along with a very touching letter she wrote after he died. Both remain treasured possessions 45 years on.

  25. #25

    Default

    So the wife....yeah I know has been watching CBB and they had Angie Best on. I remember her at The Dell with George when we played Fulham that also had Marsh and the late great Bobby Moore. She was on the pitch taking photos of him - he had lost it all then and think we won 4-1 or 4-0.
    George was the greatest naturally gifted player I have ever seen, Moore the best defender and Marsh one of the biggest tw.......

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    Brought in during 1992 as a result of the 1990 World Cup. Some of us oldies remember shouting 'steps' to the referee well before that when they were prevented from running around the penalty area with the ball. Some teams just used to waste time by passing the ball backwards and forwards between the goalkeeper and a defender.
    Two thoughts:

    1) i distinctly recall Terry Hurlock absolutely scything down the Forest defender who was doing this to waste time in the ZDS cup final. Ooof.

    2) how come nobody has ever tried keeper to defender's head and back again to waste time in similar fashion? Surprised it's not been tried at least once somewhere... I guess it might be swept up under a general catch all of "unsporting behaviour" or something like that.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    12,775

    Default

    OK trying to avoid Saints in the present and retreating to the past with more youtube clips

    Saints Vs Bristol Rovers away Jan 1978


  28. #28

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    12,775

    Default

    Part 2


  29. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    12,775

    Default

    and part 3

    Own up then who went on the pitch


  30. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mickn View Post
    I was at this game, it was a cracker I think, sure that's Rednapp scurrying down the wing for them
    If i remember coreectly we had been beaten at Everton the week before 8-0 and it looked we might have the same in this game. Terry Paine was one of a hell of player, his crossing was inch perfect.

  31. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Give it to Ron View Post
    So the wife....yeah I know has been watching CBB and they had Angie Best on. I remember her at The Dell with George when we played Fulham that also had Marsh and the late great Bobby Moore. She was on the pitch taking photos of him - he had lost it all then and think we won 4-1 or 4-0.
    George was the greatest naturally gifted player I have ever seen, Moore the best defender and Marsh one of the biggest tw.......
    Hugh Fisher put George Best in his pocket that afternoon. Best was sent off, and Marsh had a sulk most of the afternoon.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Netley
    Posts
    676

    Default

    Memory lane as we on the cup trail
    Remember it well has be biggest crowd ever at the dell .. I was happy be on pitch before full time was watching Hants cricket till lunch time then word got round queues already forming ..

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ntSIoSYCU48

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    12,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by explorer saint View Post
    Memory lane as we on the cup trail
    Remember it well has be biggest crowd ever at the dell .. I was happy be on pitch before full time was watching Hants cricket till lunch time then word got round queues already forming ..

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ntSIoSYCU48

  34. #34

    Default

    I was there that day. Eric Martin played a blinder.

  35. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    If i remember coreectly we had been beaten at Everton the week before 8-0 and it looked we might have the same in this game. Terry Paine was one of a hell of player, his crossing was inch perfect.
    3 weeks before,

    We lost 5-2 at home to ManU and 1-0 at Spurs in between.

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    12,775

    Default

    Not nearly as old as the other games but fun anyway. Saints at forest in the championship promotion season

    A back four including Dan Harding, Arron Martian and Jos the boss. An appearance by Lee Holmes and Morgan actually scoring.............. I loved that season


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •