Reed has failed Claude Puel...twice

Dusic

Gave him a squad in the summer with too few goals after not properly replacing Mane (or Pelle).

Then this window has somehow contrived to leave us with the weakest centre back options in the league (some Championship teams are stronger IMO).

Jeremy Wilson said in the DT live transfer blog yesterday that the club acknowledge VVD won't make the final so he has also personally reduced the chances of us winning silverware quite considerably.

He knows Puel is slightly underfire from supporters and has twice delivered him very poor windows to the extent that we have poor CB options, a totally unbalanced array of samey midfielders and an ecletic mix of forwards.

Feel for Puel who is being asked to do an almost impossible job of matching previous successee with an ever weakening squad lacking leaders and genuine quality. We won't won many games with Yoshida and Stephens at the back, it was hard enough with Fonte and VVD, one Euros winner and the best CB in the league.

That said, he toes the line. A Manager like Koeman wouldnt have stood for this sort of window and would be letting the club, media and fans know what a shower of **** it was. Puel won't do that, but I would have more respect for him if he did to a certain degree.

Reed has ruined this season and set us back in the long term but taking away all the momentum and good feeling that the club built up.

Out - Fonte £8mil

In - Gabbiadini £14mil

Let's not let the facts interfere with your agenda, eh ?

The facts are these....we are not scoring goals, the service to the forwards is poor and our defence has a depleted look about it. I fear for us in the coming weeks without any defensive recruitment. Is Jack Stephens the future, perhaps the club should tell us. I have been mightily ****** off for a while now, I am not renewing my season ticket and will sit in the stands at Wembley hoping against hope. I was a season ticket holder before and throughout the very, very bad days. This situation seems self inflicted, it was apparent to me during preseason that supply to the front men had dried up somewhat and so it has proved.

The protracted and painfully slow appointment of Puel, gave Reed and Puel limited chance to operate in the summer transfer window. A window that was always going to be difficult due to the Euros and one that resulted in the Club not replacing two of our main goal scoring threats in Pelle and Mane. The heralded list of replacement managers obviously needed a lot of sharpening up over the summer and wasn't as conclusive as we've been led to believe. This has given Puel a big challenge with the EL games alongside the a new League and I think he's done OK, but like others, with far too much tinkering.

Secondly, the Club knew that there was a potential problem with Fonte. None of us know the discussions the club had with Fonte over contracts, but even snippets from MLT throughout the Autumn, indicated he was on the way out, giving Reed plenty of time to canvas for a replacement, something which he has obviously failed to do and which is brought into sharper focus with the only apparent CB being looked at, being injured for the next two months! Hardly top class scouting that.

Thirdly, as with the protracted Gabbiadini transfer, he's shown that he'll play the long game to save £7.50 on transfer fees. Maybe not a change in strategy, but not an ideal position to put yourself in when trying to tie up players expected to make an impact.

Lastly, he's failed to assess the need for a striker. Blindingly obvious I know, but we've gone from a GD of +8 after 23 games last season to -5 this season. We've conceded 4 more goals, so not that different there meaning it's obvious where the Club have failed in recruitment.

We were always going to have more games this season and the Club could and should have prepared better for it. I think we'll be OK in staying up, but if VVD is cashed in this summer, Reed will have to work bloody quick to get two 1st choice CB's in, with plenty of time to get them together to form a partnership, in time for mid August. The worry is if we lose the EFL Final, then our need to push up the league will be paramount (should be anyway) and this won't happen with 2nd / 3rd choice CB's for February and March, no natural captain / leader and a worrying lack of form and confidence. So yes, I think the OP is spot on, Reed has failed the Manager.

The facts are these....we are not scoring goals, the service to the forwards is poor and our defence has a depleted look about it. I fear for us in the coming weeks without any defensive recruitment. Is Jack Stephens the future, perhaps the club should tell us. I have been mightily ****** off for a while now, I am not renewing my season ticket and will sit in the stands at Wembley hoping against hope. I was a season ticket holder before and throughout the very, very bad days. This situation seems self inflicted, it was apparent to me during preseason that supply to the front men had dried up somewhat and so it has proved.

Why would you now quit buying your season ticket when you bought in the times of Championship and League 1? Seems a bit of a shame on the back of an average 5 months (but still getting to a Cup Final).

If Yoshida gets injured we are in big trouble. Very poor to not sign a defender from Reed.

Just think about that sentence, not only is it true it shows just what has been allowed to happen here. A, for many, not so hot third choice CB, cover in other words, is now the first choice on whom we are all relying while VVD is out.

Last couple of seasons we have known we're short of depth up front and at centre back.

We sold most of the goals from last season and relied on the injury prone J-Rod and Austin (surprise - both are currently injured!) and Long, who's never scored more than a handful of goals in a season. We've tried to counter this with Boufal (signed whilst injured, and has been on and off injured) and now Gabbiadini (haven't seen him yet), but neither are the main front man we need since Pelle left. Maybe we're moving into more of a Liverpool attacking midfield / forward role formation, but we're not scoring many at the moment so fingers crossed Gabbiadini hits the ground running.

We've sold our captain and starting centre back with the promise that he wouldnt go without a replacement. That replacement wasn't Yoshida, as we all knew that if him or Van Dijk got injured we'd be relying on someone with no experience at this level (and who hasnt stood out as an amazing prospect before - Stephens) and someone who's been out injured for near on 2 years (Gardos). Surprise surprise, Van Dijk gets injured the next match and Stephens gets chucked in at the deep end. He hasnt done badly so far, but he's obviously still learning and unfortunately, looks like at the moment he might make mistakes leading direct to goals.

Overall, we've tried to address the striker situation, so lets see how that works out, but is this guy really going to score 3 a game to be better than the ones we concede?

Puel's been given a pretty tough hand with the squad noticeably weaker than last season, but if we can get Boufal and Gabbiadini to be playing regularly and on form, fingers crossed we can start putting the ball into the back of the net more often.

We dont know Reeds full objective list, but we do hear about his ambitions from time to time. If you just look at what he's told us last few years he's failed on so many levels

- The squad is weak now, possibly weaker than in 2013

- The manager is weaker, for me probably the worst manager since Jan Poortvliet

- Eric Black WTF

- Failed to keep Pochettino

- Failed to keep Koeman

- Failed to keep hold of top players

- Failed with his own champions league ambition

- Failed so far to fill his new trophy cabinet

- Summer transfer failed

- Jan transfer failed

- Now failing with his revised target of 6th - 9th each season

Reed was a failed manager a failed player and for me he is now failing us as Executive Director.

Less than 10 years ago Reed was assistant manager on a voluntary basis at Bishop's Stortford FC in the Conference South - he came here as Head of Football Development and was somehow fast tracked to Executive Director?

I have thought Reed had done a good job up to now . I know much of what he has said has not turned out to happen - but often that's part of the negotiation process and like anyone in life he cant control everything. However - this time he has clearly messed up - he was clear that we wouldnt sell Fonte until we have a replacement . That hasnt happened - that has to be his fault, as he could have kept Fonte , and as he himself said Fonte had continued to act professionally. Sorry Les , no excuses here - you have left us in a whole .

We dont know Reeds full objective list, but we do hear about his ambitions from time to time. If you just look at what he's told us last few years he's failed on so many levels

- Eric Black WTF

- Failed to keep Koeman

- Summer transfer failed

- Jan transfer failed

Reed was a failed manager a failed player and for me he is now failing us as Executive Director.

Less than 10 years ago Reed was assistant manager on a voluntary basis at Bishop's Stortford FC in the Conference South - he came here as Head of Football Development and was somehow fast tracked to Executive Director?

You are so right. The last seven years have been a complete disaster.

Reed seems to be in denial about how poor our team/squad is. When he comes out with positive things about the club, the fans have tended to buy into it, partly because they want to feel good about their club, but also because of the continued success we've had on the pitch in recent years.

However, even the happiest of clappiest of fans would struggle to buy into the fact that we have the best midfield options in the land and that Rodriguez and Long are in excellent form. Either Reed is himself delusional or takes the fans for a bunch of mugs.

I've generally been on the 'positive' side of the fence with a few specific concerns, but each new development seems to push me (and everyone else?!) a step closer to the dark side.

- Eric Black WTF

- Failed to keep Koeman

- Summer transfer failed

- Jan transfer failed

Succeeded in getting Kat on board to sack Cortese and therefore basically take his job!

Yet Reed supported Puel in buying Pied, Boufal, Gabbiadini, and Hassen? Not doing a very good job of not supporting him there. Perhaps he should have known that Austin would be out for months, that Redmond, Tadic, Long and JRod would miss so many chances between them, that Vardy would nobble VVD. Oh, and he didn't sell JRod. We were clearly trying to get a CH in and for some reason that didn't happen. Perhaps we should wait until we know why that didn't happen before we start sharpening the pitchforks?

Gave him a squad in the summer with too few goals after not properly replacing Mane (or Pelle).

Then this window has somehow contrived to leave us with the weakest centre back options in the league (some Championship teams are stronger IMO).

Jeremy Wilson said in the DT live transfer blog yesterday that the club acknowledge VVD won't make the final so he has also personally reduced the chances of us winning silverware quite considerably.

He knows Puel is slightly underfire from supporters and has twice delivered him very poor windows to the extent that we have poor CB options, a totally unbalanced array of samey midfielders and an ecletic mix of forwards.

Feel for Puel who is being asked to do an almost impossible job of matching previous successee with an ever weakening squad lacking leaders and genuine quality. We won't won many games with Yoshida and Stephens at the back, it was hard enough with Fonte and VVD, one Euros winner and the best CB in the league.

That said, he toes the line. A Manager like Koeman wouldnt have stood for this sort of window and would be letting the club, media and fans know what a shower of **** it was. Puel won't do that, but I would have more respect for him if he did to a certain degree.

Reed has ruined this season and set us back in the long term but taking away all the momentum and good feeling that the club built up.

I agree, apart from the bit about having more respect for Puel if he kicked-off publically. That would be unprofessional and I've got far less respect for people who can't deal with their grievances privately.

Yet Reed supported Puel in buying Pied, Boufal, Gabbiadini, and Hassen? Not doing a very good job of not supporting him there. Perhaps he should have known that Austin would be out for months, that Redmond, Tadic, Long and JRod would miss so many chances between them, that Vardy would nobble VVD. Oh, and he didn't sell JRod. We were clearly trying to get a CH in and for some reason that didn't happen. Perhaps we should wait until we know why that didn't happen before we start sharpening the pitchforks?

I don't think too many people are "sharpening pitchforks".

On the whole, he has done excellently for us.

This time he has clearly not. That's what people are talking about. And he said Fonte wouldn't leave without a replacement. Anyone suggesting that the replacement was supposed to be Stephens or Gardos is a trenchant buffoon.

And, yes, he should have known that Redmond, Tadic and Long would miss lots of chances because that's what they have done all their careers. The same way that most people also knew Austin and Rodriguez would be unreliable and the same way that everyone knew we would score ****-all goals between our central midfielders as well.

On the whole, Les Reed, great job. This season, poor (other than signing Boufal who I think will turn out to be a brilliant signing).

Out - Fonte £8mil

In - Gabbiadini £14mil

Let's not let the facts interfere with your agenda, eh ?

Why would you now quit buying your season ticket when you bought in the times of Championship and League 1? Seems a bit of a shame on the back of an average 5 months (but still getting to a Cup Final).

Back in the dark days our club was fighting for its life...I was happy to stand by them. The situation is different, we have had some superb football in previous years and even when we have lost I have generally gone home thinking that as a team, we'd done our best. I don't think like that these days. Rotation has most of the time, produced some awful football...do I want to watch a game that we are losing whilst we have better players on the bench who probably could have turned out? Am I expected to make a 200 mile round trip to watch a weakened team play such negative footy? The club has known that our defensive partnership was/is leaving and has not replaced either of them and that is a shocking state of affairs. I hope Andy Carroll (not to mention Michail Antonio) has an off day on Saturday but if he doesn't, we will be ****ed. An awful lot rests on Boufal..

I wonder how this place would've reacted had Reed signed an England u21 centre back during the window? Hardly a terrible option having Stephens come in and get a real chance to show hours stuff.

But then I suspect the usual crowd will have a moan about us using young players in the same way they moaned about Koeman not using them.

If Les has any sense he will go right now and look at the list of players that are uncontracted and looking for a club, there are several there that we could sign on short term deals to the end of the season and who would improve us during this time of a lot of injuries, Including central defenders and of course Frank Lampard attacking,Goal scoring Midfielder.

If VvD is out for the final, and I'm not convinced he will be, then not bringing in a solid CB for Puel to use is pure negligence.

Somewhere yesterday I think it was in Jeremy Wilson's live update he said something along the lines that club knew VVD wouldn't make the cup final

Edited by AK
typo

Somewhere yesterday I think it was in Jeremy Wilson's live update he said something along the lines that club new VVD wouldn't make the cup final

Found it.

Southampton have not wanted to reveal the severity of Van Dijk’s injury until after the transfer window closes but it is understood that there is no expectation of him returning for next month’s big Wembley final. Hassen, as well as Gabbiadini, would be available to play against United in the League Cup final.*

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/31/deadline-day-premier-league-transfer-news-rumours-live/

"i'll sit through the biggest game in the club's recent history if I really have to, but after that I'm not supporting them anymore" - You're so brave!

Found it.

Southampton have not wanted to reveal the severity of Van Dijk’s injury until after the transfer window closes but it is understood that there is no expectation of him returning for next month’s big Wembley final. Hassen, as well as Gabbiadini, would be available to play against United in the League Cup final.*

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/31/deadline-day-premier-league-transfer-news-rumours-live/

A smoking gun if true for Wilson and Reed and if get a tonking at Wembley and finish near the relegation zone you can't see KL keeping either of them on. Pity, as Reed has had a great seven years, but the warning signs were there after a bodged summer.

People keep coming back to how the club, meaning Reed, can't keep hold of top players.

My guess is even if we had an expert, hard-ball negotiator, Daniel Levy type figure, instead of Reed, we still wouldn't be able to keep hold of them - Mane, Wanyama, Schneiderlin, Alderweireld, etc.

Why? There are just so many other factors we as club would need to change before the position of Chairman is going to become remotely influential in a players likelihood of staying:

- We need a bigger budget, wage budget to offer higher wages, and financially stable so we aren't ever in the position of needing to sell players.

- We need to win things, meaning a higher, proven chance that players stand a chance at winning titles and trophies with us, helping their careers

- We need reputation, that kids in Africa and South America have heard of Southampton FC and dream of one day playing for us. Most of our foreign players have probably hoped to play for Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, City or Chelsea long before they've heard of us or reached the U.K. In other words, to be seen as a "big club"

If these things don't happen, players will always see there being further chance of development and success elsewhere.

Right now, a nice, friendly club atmosphere, great club facilities, guaranteed play time on the pitch (OK, less under Puel but still)...even good weather...evidently aren't enough to keep a player here.

The Chairman plays a key role I would say in bringing players in. And to that end, Reed has done alright. I am pretty chuffed with some of the transfers over the past five years. Some were fairly 'miss' but so with Cortese.

However, the Chairman I think does not play such a key role in keeping players. Those are factors quite beyond his control (I actually think it lies with Katrina, dare I say).

A smoking gun if true for Wilson and Reed and if get a tonking at Wembley and finish near the relegation zone you can't see KL keeping either of them on. Pity, as Reed has had a great seven years, but the warning signs were there after a bodged summer.

Les has far too much power. The failure to sign a central defender in this window is a failure Les should be held responsible for.

Are we really going to a cup final with the limited options at the back we have ?

It is painful to watch our strikers in action. Last night Long ballooned the ball over the bar it was dreadful the shot wasn't even on target. Secondly Redmonds shot was close to the keeper and at a comfortable height. Maybe our new striker will help but watching Saints can be dire we sign the young and average nothing to inspire any fan

The problem is the squad is in such a poor state. I really feel the wheels are about to come off. I did trust Les, but now have to start questioning if he knows what he's doing. It would take a monumental transfer window plus a change of manager in the summer to get us back on track. VVD is gone, possibly Bertrand too. The only positive I can take is that there will be less sales in the summer, but that reflects the poor quality of the team now. 2 out, but we will need 3 defensive players, another striker and a couple of midfielders. One or two of Reed/JWP/Clasie have to go.

come on Les, ****ing wake up!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The problem is the squad is in such a poor state. I really feel the wheels are about to come off. I did trust Les, but now have to start questioning if he knows what he's doing. It would take a monumental transfer window plus a change of manager in the summer to get us back on track. VVD is gone, possibly Bertrand too. The only positive I can take is that there will be less sales in the summer, but that reflects the poor quality of the team now. 2 out, but we will need 3 defensive players, another striker and a couple of midfielders. One or two of Reed/JWP/Clasie have to go.

come on Les, ****ing wake up!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You can add Jayrod to the list of outs....he wants away too ....allegedly

I think the squad is quite good and much better than Puel gets out if it. We should win games against Swansea, Hull, Burnley with the squad we have.

How many of Yoshida, Stephens, Gardos, Hojbjerg, Clasie, Ward-Prowse, Davis, Rodriguez, Long & Redmond would walk into those teams?

I'm not saying these are bad players by any stretch, but they are nevertheless players currently in our first XI, or at least the first substitute option. Equally, how many players from those teams would get into ours? Not many, but certainly a handful would compete for, or earn, a spot. The difference is we have a small group of players that, when on song, play at a very high level. Unfortunately van Dijk is injured, Tadic is woefully out of form, Austin is injured and Boufal has been injured a lot. Even Romeu, who has been fantastic, is prone to lapses when it comes to defensive positioning.

If Yoshida gets injured we are in big trouble. Very poor to not sign a defender from Reed.

That first sentence sums the magnitude of this f.uck up perfectly. The bloke has been a half decent, very error prone back up player at best throughout his time with us but has looked quite good this season - now he's our main man FFS!

The surplus from the summer spending and sales?

there may well have been, but his point was quite clear. If you sell a player for £8m and bring one in for £14m then you have not added to the clubs bank balance, never mind Kat's.

"i'll sit through the biggest game in the club's recent history if I really have to, but after that I'm not supporting them anymore" - You're so brave!

Your intelligence appears limited....it is not bravery. I will always support Saints but no amount of money and time will be spent by me watching a team severely weakened by rotation. The FA cup was and is a wonderful competition and what did we as a club do? Enough said.

Your intelligence appears limited....it is not bravery. I will always support Saints but no amount of money and time will be spent by me watching a team severely weakened by rotation. The FA cup was and is a wonderful competition and what did we as a club do? Enough said.

I caught the end of this last night on Sky sports - think Jeff Stelling was saying either that the club had betrayed fans trust or that the club were refunding fans that went or both?

Anyone else catch it? Was on around 7 last night, MLT was asked to comment.

I caught the end of this last night on Sky sports - think Jeff Stelling was saying either that the club had betrayed fans trust or that the club were refunding fans that went or both?

Anyone else catch it? Was on around 7 last night, MLT was asked to comment.

A bit of both... He said that the club should refund fans, not that they are.

Succeeded in getting Kat on board to sack Cortese and therefore basically take his job!

When ML sadly passed away Cortese thought it was his money his club and did not want to answer to anyone that's what got him the sack. But true Reed only claim to fame is getting Charlton relegated he might have the best interests of the club at heart but he is not up to the job.

Edited by Toomer

I don't think too many people are "sharpening pitchforks".

On the whole, he has done excellently for us.

This time he has clearly not. That's what people are talking about. And he said Fonte wouldn't leave without a replacement. Anyone suggesting that the replacement was supposed to be Stephens or Gardos is a trenchant buffoon.

And, yes, he should have known that Redmond, Tadic and Long would miss lots of chances because that's what they have done all their careers. The same way that most people also knew Austin and Rodriguez would be unreliable and the same way that everyone knew we would score ****-all goals between our central midfielders as well.

On the whole, Les Reed, great job. This season, poor (other than signing Boufal who I think will turn out to be a brilliant signing).

If Les does attempt to explain this balls-up, I have a feeling that Les will say something along these lines: "It's tough to find reasonable replacements in January, Gardos coming back is like having a new player, look at the emergence of Stephens, and look at our bright shiny new Gabbiadini.. " Something like that.

When ML sadly passed away Cortese thought it was his money his club and did not want to answer to anyone that's what got him the sack. But true Reed only claim to fame is getting Charlton relegated he might have the best interests of the club at heart but he is not up to the job.

At the time ML passed there was talk of an investment fund being left to the club/ Cortese

I do recall Nic saying at the time "Markus' family are fully supportive of Saints and in fulfilling Markus' legacy."

Im not sure 6-17th was ever MLs legacy? but we will never know and only Kat has to answer to that.

At first he looked uncomfortable and he said the fans would have expected a weak line up, but he eventually agreed. Thought Stelling was slightly OTT, he sounded really angry.

Thanks, glad in a way someone takes up the fans view. MLT was right in as much I was expecting a weak team, just not as weak as the one that played.

You're ignoring players who were sold last season and not adequately replaced .

Your agenda it seems .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

The OP was referring to this window therefore I quoted the facts !

I have no agenda other than supporting the Saints !

Read Saints FC mission statement re the Academy. Sir Les pretends to get in a CB and then forces Puel to HAVE to play his beloved Academy player.

The protracted and painfully slow appointment of Puel, gave Reed and Puel limited chance to operate in the summer transfer window. A window that was always going to be difficult due to the Euros and one that resulted in the Club not replacing two of our main goal scoring threats in Pelle and Mane. The heralded list of replacement managers obviously needed a lot of sharpening up over the summer and wasn't as conclusive as we've been led to believe. This has given Puel a big challenge with the EL games alongside the a new League and I think he's done OK, but like others, with far too much tinkering.

Secondly, the Club knew that there was a potential problem with Fonte. None of us know the discussions the club had with Fonte over contracts, but even snippets from MLT throughout the Autumn, indicated he was on the way out, giving Reed plenty of time to canvas for a replacement, something which he has obviously failed to do and which is brought into sharper focus with the only apparent CB being looked at, being injured for the next two months! Hardly top class scouting that.

Thirdly, as with the protracted Gabbiadini transfer, he's shown that he'll play the long game to save £7.50 on transfer fees. Maybe not a change in strategy, but not an ideal position to put yourself in when trying to tie up players expected to make an impact.

Lastly, he's failed to assess the need for a striker. Blindingly obvious I know, but we've gone from a GD of +8 after 23 games last season to -5 this season. We've conceded 4 more goals, so not that different there meaning it's obvious where the Club have failed in recruitment.

We were always going to have more games this season and the Club could and should have prepared better for it. I think we'll be OK in staying up, but if VVD is cashed in this summer, Reed will have to work bloody quick to get two 1st choice CB's in, with plenty of time to get them together to form a partnership, in time for mid August. The worry is if we lose the EFL Final, then our need to push up the league will be paramount (should be anyway) and this won't happen with 2nd / 3rd choice CB's for February and March, no natural captain / leader and a worrying lack of form and confidence. So yes, I think the OP is spot on, Reed has failed the Manager.