Highest Profile Saints Signings

ashnats

So, the signing of Gabbiadini is the highest profile signing we have made in a long time - I'm trying to think of others and not come up with much apart from;

Keegan

Case

Le Saux (but past-peak)

Venison (but past-peak)

and nothing in the last few years. (tadic maybe?)

I feel like this can't be true - I'm missing something obvious. So, aside from the above, who are our highest profile transfer signings?

Keegan is the outstanding signing in Saints history.

Although Osgood at the time was equally as dazzling as it was the first time we had entered the bigger pool, paying over £200,000 for a player at that time was considered an incredible step for Saints.

As Steveo says bringing Channon back was high profile at the time.

One signing that probably went a little under the radar when it happened but proved to have great significance was Alan Ball.

So, the signing of Gabbiadini is the highest profile signing we have made in a long time - I'm trying to think of others and not come up with much apart from;

Keegan

Case

Le Saux (but past-peak)

Venison (but past-peak)

and nothing in the last few years. (tadic maybe?)

I feel like this can't be true - I'm missing something obvious. So, aside from the above, who are our highest profile transfer signings?

I'm struggling to get to grips with what your definition of "high profile" is?

Kevin Keegan in 1980

Peter Osgood in 1974 equaling the British record of a £270,000 fee

and Charlie George for £400,000 in about 1978 was also considered a major coup at the time. These were deals we were out muscling all the other leading European sides. Nothing in recent years ha come anywhere remotely close.

Kevin Phillips - hadn't he recently won the European Golden Boot?

Sad we couldn't really get the best out of him!

I thought it was a major coup when we signed him, sadly he never hit quite the same heights for us but there were some quality moments.