We won't see VVD in a Saints shirt again...

saint lard

He couldn't find an opportunity or a possibility? Blimey

What else is he meant to say? "I asked Les to find me a possibility 6 months ago, but the useless cretin could only manage a last ditch attempt to loan a Swansea benchwarmer... that still got rejected"

He must be raging.

Puel contemplating using Bertrand as CB....

So now we are weakening two positions.

Puel: "We studied a lot of solutions for a new defender, but we could not find a good opportunity." #saintsfc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing as Bertrand played there last season and if anything it improved the team AND Targett who got to play left wing back, I can see why he'd consider it.

Also, if Van Dijk is out for (worst case scenario) 3 months that still leaves a few games this season he might be available for - and as I somehow doubt anyone will sign a player with 5 years left on his contract who hasn't played for 6 months due to injury, if anything this gives us more chance to see him for longer. I was fairly sure he'd leave in the summer, now I think we'll probably get another season out of him.

Funny. Other clubs seemed to find plenty of solutions and opportunities.

I wouldn't have signed any of the defenders that Prem teams bought in the Transfer Window either.

Wague looks like a knee-jerk AfCoN signing and you'd hope we'd learnt from Mayuka on that subject

Ranocchia is the closest to a player meeting our requirement but went to Hull on loan. I'm not sure we wanted to get "Alderweirelded" again and there's always the summer if Saints actually think he's good enough - he wasn't particularly impressive for Inter at St Mary's but we don't tend to evaluate on single matches (plenty of chances to look at Stephens already).

Lescott is Lescott, a truly desperate signing.

Wimmer was linked but is a semi-regular Spurs starter, they're still in Europe and Vertonghen is injured so he'll be playing more.

Sakho clearly doesn't meet our personality criteria having fallen out with a couple of managers

Also, based on last night, selling Fonte for £8m looks like absolute genius. Out of position and not tracking his man for Man City's first, and ran straight around him for another one. No Van Dijk and no Romeu, Fonte looked slow and isolated.

Let's not have any knee jerk actions, as we clearly won't be relegated ......so I'm told anyway.

Out of all the positions where we needed to strengthen, this was the prioritiy after selling fonte.

Anyway might put a stop to rotation as we are running out of fit ( match fit) defenders!

Let's not have any knee jerk actions, as we clearly won't be relegated ......so I'm told anyway.

Out of all the positions where we needed to strengthen, this was the prioritiy after selling fonte.

Anyway might put a stop to rotation as we are running out of fit ( match fit) defenders!

In case you haven't noticed, rotation is generally used when we have a run of fixtures close to each other. We've only got 2 midweek matches for the rest of the season now, so from 11 Feb onwards it is unlikely to be a factor anyway.

Assuming we need 40 points to stay up, that's 5 wins in 15 matches. We're more likely to finish 8th.

Edited by The9

[h=2]We won't see VVD in a Saints shirt again...[/h]

How have you managed to jump to that conclusion from the available evidence (we have at the moment)??? :mcinnes:

Puel said out for 2-3 months.

2 months takes us to the beginning of April

3 months takes us to the beginning of May

Southampton's last game this season in on 21st May

I wouldn't have signed any of the defenders that Prem teams bought in the Transfer Window either.

Wague looks like a knee-jerk AfCoN signing and you'd hope we'd learnt from Mayuka on that subject

Ranocchia is the closest to a player meeting our requirement but went to Hull on loan. I'm not sure we wanted to get "Alderweirelded" again and there's always the summer if Saints actually think he's good enough - he wasn't particularly impressive for Inter at St Mary's but we don't tend to evaluate on single matches (plenty of chances to look at Stephens already).

Wimmer was linked but is a semi-regular Spurs starter, they're still in Europe and Vertonghen is injured so he'll be playing more.

Sakho clearly doesn't meet our personality criteria having fallen out with a couple of managers

Also, based on last night, selling Fonte for £8m looks like absolute genius. Out of position and not tracking his man for Man City's first, and ran straight around him for another one. No Van Dijk and no Romeu, Fonte looked slow and isolated.

Don't worry, he's talking rubbish. Just using soundbites without anything to back it up.

In case you haven't noticed, rotation is generally used when we have a run of fixtures close to each other. We've only got 2 midweek matches for the rest of the season now, so from 11 Feb onwards it is unlikely to be a factor anyway.

Assuming we need 40 points to stay up, that's 5 wins in 15 matches. We're more likely to finish 8th.

We have only won 4 of the last 15 premier league games. And that is with VVD.

Anyone who thinks we are safe is hiding their head in the sand.

I agree. Nobody in their right minds would have bought any of those you name. The only one who even comes close is Sakho and there really are such big question marks over him that the cost was too great to make it worth the risk.

As for Fonte he has been clearly shot all season. You would have to be blind to have not noticed his inability to turn in tight spaces - quite important for a centre-half. I think it was largely this - sadly inevitable at some point with the onward march of age - rather than his partner although certainly Van Dijk and Romeu do make it easier for the other man in the centre. The squad are also clearly much happier now he has gone which tells its own story.

It does leave us vulnerable but Yoshida has been better than Fonte this season for sure and Stephens and Gardos just have to step up to the plate. That's why they are here. We will learn by the end of this season - perhaps before - if they are up to the challenge.

Yes. He stated that Bertrand could/would be used as a CB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worked very well against the better quality teams when our season was going down the pan last season. McQueen and Soares are ideal wingbacks. We can also get Boufal into the middle where he look much more effective.

Something like:

Forster

Soares Yoshida Stephens Bertrand McQueen

JWP Romeu Davis

Boufal

Long

...although there are plenty of variations on that theme. Just got to get the right balance between defence and attack.

We have only won 4 of the last 15 premier league games. And that is with VVD.

Anyone who thinks we are safe is hiding their head in the sand.

We are safe. 15 points from the last 15 games isn't great, but if we carry on that until the end of the season, we stay up very easily.