The Southampton way.

wessex saint

Look . I'm not a bed wetter or a happy clapper. ( I know this a big surprise to you all but most fans are like me )

What is the Southampton way?? I watched the documentary and it basically said. All the teams play the same system..4.2.3.1

Puel has obviously changed it. Are all the youth teams now playing 'suck em up and hope to hell we've got enough pace to do them on the counter?'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doesn't it say that playing out of a 4-3-3 at youth level gives players the flexibility to adapt to many different positions and systems if needed?

I think you've got it backwards. Our first team has changed style of play to one that is now a more fluid transition from the youth teams. Less of the long ball/knockdowns/quick counters and more possession.

All our youth teams try to dominate the ball and have done as long as I can remember (at least since we've been able to watch the U21s/18s). Very similar to the first team with similar outcomes (dominating games then getting stung on the counter) much of the time but it's all about learning and growing. A cohesive style of play is almost impossible at youth level with players always moving between U18/21/First Team duties. Similar to the way we haven't been able to have a settled first team yet.

The 'Southampton way' is just more marketing guff, just like Les' 'Little Black book'. We're marching on together (more marketing guff) towards a bottom third finish, and a right royal pants down spanking at Wembley, that's the truth. It will be a good day out anyway so who cares.

there is no Southampton Way that is unique.

it is a gimmick to get fans on board. helps when we sell everyone and bump up too many youngsters into the side.....and label it 'the Southampton Way'

Add that to the so called 'black box'....it is all Les Reed's horse shyt

I define the Southampton Way as the process of 'managing' outgoing players via the media....we are bloody good at that as we get so much practice

there is no Southampton Way that is unique.

it is a gimmick to get fans on board. helps when we sell everyone and bump up too many youngsters into the side.....and label it 'the Southampton Way'

Add that to the so called 'black box'....it is all Les Reed's horse shyt

I define the Southampton Way as the process of 'managing' outgoing players via the media....we are bloody good at that as we get so much practice

If we didn't have the Southampton Way gimmick, how many fewer fans would be "on board"?

Personally, I reckon our gates would be down in the 25ks without that gimmick getting the fans on board.

The Southampton Way is marketing speak brought about to deflect criticism of the way we run the club. It is designed to try and give the impression that we are in control of things like player sales. The only good thing about it is that the system of replacing the manager seems good and that the whole back room does not need replacing each time they go.

The 'Southampton way' is just more marketing guff, just like Les' 'Little Black book'. We're marching on together (more marketing guff) towards a bottom third finish, and a right royal pants down spanking at Wembley, that's the truth. It will be a good day out anyway so who cares.

#itshappeningbutnotasweintended

As in Les Reed the guy who has overseen our rise from L1 to European football and now to a Wembley final Les Reed?

Yes, that's the fella. Same one that has taken us into the final third of the season with an inadequate selection of CB's - one injury or suspension away from a real crisis - after starting the season light on goal scorers.

Like players, he is judged on his current and recent form rather than over his entire career or time with us.

Look . I'm not a bed wetter or a happy clapper. ( I know this a big surprise to you all but most fans are like me )

What is the Southampton way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buy a young player for around £10 million or less and sell him 2 years later for at least £20 million. Get an unknown / untested manager in the premier league and get compensation for him 2 years later.

The Southampton Way...I know what i think it should be and what i believe the club strive to achieve...and in the main i think they have been very good at it in recent years.

The main aim of every club should be :--

1/ to stay in the Premiership every season

2/balance the books at least and if possible make profit

3/ develop your own player to prevent having to spend millions on potentially risky transfers

4/ If they do buy then buy cheap and sell high

5/ Hope to have the occasional good cup run

6/ hope the fans will accept all the above and if they dont....the board won't worry because football fans are exactly that ...football fans and will keep coming

I want us to challenge for everything, i want us to be Champions and masters of Europe.....but i'm realistic enough to know having supported Saints for 47 year that "The Southampton Way" is items 1-6, plus maybe a few others.

Its just club corporate stuff. My employer does similar stuff with catchy little titles/phrases that if you dig a bit deeper don't seem to mean much, change meaning over time or just pay lip service to something they think makes them look good. Just ignore it most do.

Indeed. Frankly bizarre how people on here are some affronted by something almost every similar sized company does all over the world.

It's like being furious when they find out that a Mars bar doesn't actually help them work rest and play more than any other food item.

Indeed. Frankly bizarre how people on here are some affronted by something almost every similar sized company does all over the world.

It's like being furious when they find out that a Mars bar doesn't actually help them work rest and play more than any other food item.

yeah, we dont buy success, we breed it

(or buy them young from other, less well-off clubs)

Yes, that's the fella. Same one that has taken us into the final third of the season with an inadequate selection of CB's - one injury or suspension away from a real crisis - after starting the season light on goal scorers.

Like players, he is judged on his current and recent form rather than over his entire career or time with us.

Thank Christ you weren't in charge when MLT was out of form at various stages of his career. Clueless. Like 80% of the trolls on this board these days.

Still, as long as people are coughing up fivers who cares if this board has gone to ****.

Lawrie McMenemy's final season with us as Director of Football saw us finish one point above the relegation zone and only being confirmed as safe on the last day of the season. On the Badger methodology we can only conclude Lawrie's career at Saints was an abject failure.

As in Les Reed the guy who has overseen our rise from L1 to European football and now to a Wembley final Les Reed?

He's like the civil servant who remains at his desk, avoiding the redundancy, with his head down, until the retirement pay off materialises.

:scared: Next you'll be telling me a finger of fudge isn't full of chocolatey goodness...

Yes, but a Snickers really does satisfy.

Unless you're Alps that is.

Posted this on the Reed failed thread but relevant again to your post - my thoughts.....

I think the writing has been on the wall a while - sure we've had a couple of decent last seasons, but how much of that was due to momentum? You take control of a club that's been promoted from league 1 > won a trophy > promoted from the championship > finished 14th > finished 8th - this club has been on the up and up and up since 2009-2014 and during that time Les was behind the scenes as head of football development.

Momentum is basic physics.

Under Cortese we were proactive not reactive - sacked Pardew, sacked Nigel. Under Les we lose Mopo to Spurs lose Koeman to Everton we appoint Puel and Eric f'ing Black!?

Under Cortese we lost AOC and errrr Puncheon? Under Reed we've lost Shaw, Lallana, Lovren, Chambers, Lambert, Morgan, Clyne, Mane, Pelle, Big Vic and Fonte (VVD will likely leave this summer) in his time he's sold players and lost managers bringing in £230 MILLION!

See the below momentum curve - we have fallen head first into the complacency trap. We have quickly lost momentum built up from 2009 and are heading only one way now under Les Reed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2340[/ATTACH]

Les was assistant manager on a voluntary basis at Bishop's Stortford FC in the Conference South before we appointed him to watch over development. He was a laughing stock in football, a joke - yet Kat decided he was the man for the BIG job!? The man to take care of "everything to do with football at the club"

Posted this on the Reed failed thread but relevant again to your post - my thoughts.....

I think the writing has been on the wall a while - sure we've had a couple of decent last seasons, but how much of that was due to momentum? You take control of a club that's been promoted from league 1 > won a trophy > promoted from the championship > finished 14th > finished 8th - this club has been on the up and up and up since 2009-2014 and during that time Les was behind the scenes as head of football development.

Under Cortese we were proactive not reactive - sacked Pardew, sacked Nigel. Under Les we lose Mopo to Spurs lose Koeman to Everton we appoint Puel and Eric f'ing Black!?

Under Cortese we lost AOC and errrr Puncheon? Under Reed we've lost Shaw, Lallana, Lovren, Chambers, Lambert, Morgan, Clyne, Mane, Pelle, Big Vic and Fonte (VVD will likely leave this summer) in his time he's sold players and lost managers bringing in £230 MILLION!

See the below momentum curve - we have fallen head first into the complacency trap. We have quickly lost momentum built up from 2009 and are heading only one way now under Les Reed.

Les was assistant manager on a voluntary basis at Bishop's Stortford FC in the Conference South before we appointed him to watch over development. He was a laughing stock in football, a joke - yet Kat decided he was the man for the BIG job!? The man to take care of "everything to do with football at the club"

You've done this one already. But absolutely love the italic work on assistant manager. I can't even do italics on Tapatalk, so well done.

3.2/10.

IF it were at all feasible in the real world, would you have Nic back over Reed? How many in hindsight would prefer that?

Yes, he was a narcicisstic megalomaniac, but he was our narcicisstic meglomaniac! If Marcus had survived I think he would still be here, despite the tales of solid gold toilet seats etc. He was our Donald Trump, Reed by comparison is Paul Nuttall.

Remind me how far in the past the EFL Cup final is?

Your, almost unhinged, dislike of Les Reed even surpasses your dislike of nearly everything Southampton Football Club.

I'm not saying he is here forever, only that, in my opinion, he has done an excellent job of structuring what was already a good but occasionally dysfunctional club since he was appointed. He has worked under different chairpersons and delivered consistent improvement in pretty much every sector of the club from kids to the first team.This, again in my opinion, has been done against a backdrop of his having to fit the business model that the Board/Owners have decreed that he work to - he's not a shareholder.

I've supported Saints since the early sixties and seen all the ups and downs in that time - we have good, brilliant, sh*t and dire seasons, parts of seasons...that's football at the level we can compete at....and without becoming Manchester City (please don't throw Leicester in ..again there have been Ipswich, QPR etc that are exceptions to prove the rule in the past) - I'm happy to hear my club regularly described as one of or the best run clubs in the country and I enjoy seeing home produced players come through. The way that this (and similar threads) are portraying our situation is more akin to when we got relegated to L1...that was dire, things needed changing. We got lucky - in came Marcus, Coretese, Pards, Ricky, Nigel, Poch, the lying Dutchman and the rest that have been part of this....the constant? Mr Reed!

"The Southampton way", its nothing more then a marketing strategy. When you are successful you come up with ways to stand out even more so you can say 'look we do it different, we are successful so its working', its something clubs have been doing for years to get attention. And when results tank, you come up with a new thing and call it project what ever with new promises and when that fails you come up with a new thing/excuse and repeat the progress.

Thats all that it is really.

Has to either drastically change his ways or go. Simple as that. He is on the verge of completely destroying everything cortese built.

Don't agree with that at all. For example, my opinion of Jose Fonte is based on his seven years with the club, not just the disappointing final phase. Too many fans are focused on the short-term.