Saints vs West Ham: Match Thread

Hamilton Saint

Insipid in attack, weak in defence, plodding in midfield, a keeper who can't save anything - it was only a matter of time before the continual downgrading of the team caught up with us.

Big half coming up, in the context of the season. We're sleepwalking towards catastrophe, but the powers that be appear in total denial.

What's up with everyone? We've played some really exciting football. Gabiadini looking incredible add. J-Rod had some stunning moments.

Yes, our midfield have been asleep twice for the goals, not shutting down. But that second goal wasn't Forster's fault, i don't think. It took a deflection. It's just one those really unlucky goals.

Man up, people!

Not really. 30 mins of sitting off a frankly bang average side, and lacking the smartness or cutting edge to play the right balls when we somehow manage to win it. All I see is monotonous sideways football. We're practically handing to them. Defense is shockingly disorganized, and the weaknesses of having a backup CB pairing is beginning to show.

So by sacking Puel who do you think we should bring in? And how would they do a better job? We won't always reach top ten in the Prem, but whenever we go through ANY sticky patch the same people call for the heads of any manager. This is the problem with football how is any manager meant to stay in a job is as soon as you have 3-4 defeats in a short space of time fans demand sackings!

The team set up was positive, we looked bright early on and it's the fact we didn't bring in a centre back that has cost us, if what I know is right we tried to sign several but they fell through during January and Reed told Puel to hold tight with Stephens and Yoshida for the rest of the season. Stephens will be a good player but he's still young and raw but the only way he will improve is game time.

West Ham haven't been much better than us today, they're a strong physical side who have goals in their ranks, they'll always have a chance of doing this to Saints. Let's see how the second half goes.

COYR.

IMO it was appalling attempt to save that long range shot. Surely they practise those in training again & again!

Suggestions there was a slight deflection, but I doubt it made a difference. Awful keeping.

Even though nobody attacked the ball to prevent the shot, it was a scuffed effort and should have been saved.

He's always been this bad. Removing the shield he's had in previous seasons just exposes everyone to that, finally.

He's capable of a world-class game every 8 games or so (which sticks in peoples minds and people then retain that as the fact he's amazing, for some reason) but in general he is a huge liability. I'm sure people will remind me when I said he was a League One keeper with a few PL attributes. I think a few more would think a long those lines now. This is nothing to do with confidence or the players in front of him being at fault (though they haven't helped as they don't offer that same level of protection) - it's about him being a pretty bad goalkeeper.

Choose life. Choose sideways passing. Choose the diamond. Choose to sell Fonte. Choose not to sign a CB. Choose Eric Black. Choose Puel. Choose Reed. Choose net transfer winners. Choose possession at the back. Choose Kat. Choose a nice bank balance. Choose Ralph Krueger. Choose 7 points of bottom 3

Choose SFC

Choose life. Choose sideways passing. Choose the diamond. Choose to sell Fonte. Choose not to sign a CB. Choose Eric Black. Choose Puel. Choose Reed. Choose net transfer winners. Choose possession at the back. Choose Kat. Choose a nice bank balance. Choose Ralph Krueger. Choose 7 points of bottom 3

Choose SFC

Plenty of alternatives out there if you're no longer happy with SFC.

Bad all over the pitch. Midfield (Rom can't do everything himself) offers zero protection to the defense and nothing going forward.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

We are being run over in midfield - and Romeu does need assistance; there's zero shutting down of their CMs.

For those who really think we will go down...

Bournemouth are in freefall, as are Leicester, Middlesbrough can't score for toffee, Palace aren't much better, Sunderland are woeful, Hull will probably struggle too.

WE WILL NOT BE GOING DOWN THIS SEASON. END OF STORY.

What was your prediction for today mate?

The way I see it is that we have a very good manager, he has shown that this season. But the ineptitude of Les Reed and the recruitment department has let him down massively.

We won't be going down this season, so let's just calm down.

I agree with all of this. The Puel hate is off the charts.

He's always been this bad. Removing the shield he's had in previous seasons just exposes everyone to that, finally.

He's capable of a world-class game every 8 games or so (which sticks in peoples minds and people then retain that as the fact he's amazing, for some reason) but in general he is a huge liability. I'm sure people will remind me when I said he was a League One keeper with a few PL attributes. I think a few more would think a long those lines now. This is nothing to do with confidence or the players in front of him being at fault (though they haven't helped as they don't offer that same level of protection) - it's about him being a pretty bad goalkeeper.

Agreed. I've said before, he's a lump. Not mobile or energetic like a modern gk should be.

He doesn't make the most of his good attributes and is easily found out by reasonably good players (and some poor ones, too lol).

Bournemouth are in freefall, as are Leicester, Middlesbrough can't score for toffee, Palace aren't much better, Sunderland are woeful, Hull will probably struggle too.

The problem is we're falling faster. Before KO we were 2nd from bottom in the current form table ☹️

You also said we'd beat West Brom and win today's game easily...

Jrod has been abysmal first half. Looks like a pub player at the moment. So far off the pace it's unreal. Can't understand why Puel drops our most recent goal scorer. Forster looks short of confidence. An abject effort to save that shot. We're being overrun in midfield. Carrol winning every arial battle. God, we miss VvD.

Ahh, the old caital letters ploy!

Choose SFC

Lol. Good effort.

Those words may well come back to haunt you!

The sheer fact that we've gone from a side that finish six last season to talking about relegation says it all really.