Saints 1 West Ham 3 - Post Match

Mr X

**** me.....I'd even take Nigel Adkins back if it meant getting rid of this clueless tool.

So bloody monotonous,both on the pitch and off it.

Turning into a shambles now both in the boardroom and coaching staff.

Eric Black.....sodding Eric Black,what a ridiculous appointment.

Les Reed the control freak.....turning us into another Charlton under his tenure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also take Adkins back. Our most successful manager, popular with the fans, good attacking football.

I still am optimistic that Puel will turn it around. But losing VVD is a massive issue.

Anyhow, I've said all that needs to be said tonight. I hope others will calm down a bit and look at things more rationally.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/

According to this, we only have a 3% chance of relegation. The bottom three will be made up of three teams who are currently in the bottom 6.

Potentially the most exciting season in years and it's come to this. Lolz.

Under investment. Instead of pushing on with decent signings we've sold and sold. Before the season began we looked a bit light considering we had Europe. Now we can barely piece together a defence.

So far he's destroyed morale, mismanaged our captain, dismantled our good defence, brought in pretty weak signings (Pied who?), stuck to the same useless tactics and bores me senseless. Puel out.

Agree but what about his bad points!

that's nice thought but Fonte wanted away, we didn't sack him. our failure was to get cover for VvD knowing his injury was bad.

I agree, but we can't blame Puel for that. I'm not happy either but we were 7th under him not so many weeks ago. It's losing and not replacing the best central defenders in the league that's done us.

Yup, I have done.

I believe that the board largely are to blame for not signing a striker in the summer and then not signing a defender last month.

We've got good attacking options, but defensively, now that VVD is injured, we look fragile in that department.

We've only played 2.5 Prem games with this clusterf**k of a CB issue, so you can't chalk our season up until *now* to that. Our defense has been the only reason why people haven't been able to use the words 'relegation scrap' until recently. And I'm not convinced that a striker can make up for excessive tactical/defensive caution.

It's always the same faces - batman, alpine, they can't wait to post as soon as we lose, but if we win, you rarely see them. It is, quite frankly, embarrassing and pretty sad.

I'll be here whether we win, lose, or draw.

Bully for you. I'd love to be celebrating three points, but can't see where the next ones are coming from. Some have just been expressing their worries about the team's obvious failings (it's not"luck" by the way) for a while. No need to slate them. I think it needs drastic action as the team we have does not seem to be playing for the manager we have

Terrible apart from Gabby. It would be totally complacent to think this is not a relegation battle now. Other teams below are showing signs of life and we get worse every game. Reed has really done a number on this team this season. It is scary haw fast it has deteriorated. Where are you documentaries about the Southampton Way now Les? I blame Puel for the poor tactics and motivation but he has really been dealt a bad hand with the declining quality available. Something needs to change fast.

So far he's destroyed morale, mismanaged our captain, dismantled our good defence, brought in pretty weak signings (Pied who?), stuck to the same useless tactics and bores me senseless. Puel out.

can't see the club/reed admitting they've made a mistake though can you?

Oh dear.

Look how happy you are that we've lost and that I was wrong.

If we had won, you would've gone AWOL, along with all the bed wetters.

You really are sad and pathetic. Grow up.

I think your issue is that you are so smug and deluded that really the only silver lining when saints play terribly is it shuts you down for a little while.

He was never the answer to anything. He is too small to play CM/DM in the PL.

Sounds like JWP and Davis

The point I was making was Clasie is more of a solid defender than the other 2, I agree he is not the answer but he can at least help Romeu defend more.

JWP dead balls have gone to sh*t recently as well, being overhit and just bang average has he been watching rugby:lol:.

There will be a lot of angst on here tonight and I am a born optimist but I think Puel's stubbornness to his system is leading to our downfall over the last 1.5 months which is exacerbated by injuries.

There is a reason Boufal, Virgil, Oriel, Gabba (based on today's showing) look so much better than their peer group, its because they are at a level above the rest on an individual level.

The previously seasons systems played to our group strength's and mitigated our weaknesses, i believe it made everyone look at a level they were probably individually not (that's good coaching and why quite a few have struggled since leaving us).

Puel's system current does not do this, seems to have little flexibility and is currently like our midfield it in that it justs exists but doesn't do much for us.

We are relying on individual skill (why Boufal looks awesome) over an effective team system to win games.

System has to change.

Edit: Shout out to Marco Silva selling 2 key players, gettting some guys in and playing against a load of big teams in his first few matches and doing very very well.

Edited by Convict Colony

Get rid of Puel. I'm pretty certain a new manager, regardless of who, would get more out of our squad.

Tactics don't work, formation is crap, football is slow and ponderous, we are far too easy to play against.

Dont leave it too late Les. You have royally f*cked up by not getting another defender in, but don't compound the problem by keeping what is an awful manager in charge. Fire up the black box and make a couple of phone calls please.

Where's les and Fred? Very quick to come out when it's all going well.

centre back issue aside, there is nothing which I have seen that tells me that puel is a good manager at this level.

I suppose the question now is.... Can Puel keep us up or do we need a change?

Just home from the game. Obviously a gutting result, and plenty of reasons for concern. But I didn't spend the whole game annoyed at how bad we were. In fact it was more dejection at how we could be 3-1 down despite West Ham barely having any attacks. We weren't bad against Swansea in the second half, and we weren't bad today. However the other team gets a sniff of goal and it goes in. Of course it's going to be difficult to get back into it 2 goals down, but even then we had a couple of chances to make a game of it. Randolph pulled off a few decent (without being incredible) saves that Forster would have conceded.

Where's les and Fred? Very quick to come out when it's all going well.

centre back issue aside, there is nothing which I have seen that tells me that puel is a good manager at this level.

I suppose the question now is.... Can Puel keep us up or do we need a change?

Tick, that's another one who won't be bothering with tickets for Wembley.

Oh dear.

Look how happy you are that we've lost and that I was wrong.

If we had won, you would've gone AWOL, along with all the bed wetters.

You really are sad and pathetic. Grow up.

I hope you are being significantly well renumerated by the SFC PR department because your misplaced, misjudged and misinformed optimism is making you look, well, a bit of a plonker to be honest.

Maybe you should try and get to a game or two and see first hand what pretty much the whole of the fan base can see week in week out. There's room to be neither a 'bed-wetter' or a 'happy-clapper'. It's called an objective realist.

Really, really worrying. This was the sort of defeat we had under Poortvliet - a physically weak and small team bullied by a much more streetwise outfit. Ten goals conceded in three games since VVD was injured shows clearly what the problem is. Saints not bringing in a centre-back this January looks at best an arrogant mistake, at worst downright negligent. Puel is obviously under pressure, and quite rightly. If he keeps us up this season (because that's what we're playing for now - the showpiece at Wembley is now a situation of hope rather than expectation) then okay - but I wouldn't be bothered if he wasn't our manager in 2017/18. The only positive today was Gabbiadini. He looks like he may be worth the money.

Selling Fonte without a quality ( or even competent) replacement has to be the most stupid decision ever taken by the management in all my time following Saints, which is most of 50 years.

This completely. Whatever the issues were it should have been, "Ok Jose you can go but only after we have signed someone to replace you" Totally fecking ridiculous and compounded by hearing his song sung LOUDLY by the Wham fans today.

Reed is the problem the utter arrogant ******. Feel for Puel a bit, been dealt a **** hand but he has to go, hopefully that useless lying ***** goes with him.

I would feel for Puel if he tried something to get out of rut but no same formation just swap players not tactics. Just a poor mans Wenger.

With no experience defenders he picks 2 non tacklers so Romeu is dragged between defence and only one in midfield who battles.

4-4 fcking 2 or 4-2-3-1 has to be tried but nope

Why do we put the 2 smallest players in the wall?

I'm officially worried that was a total shower of sh1t. Sack the boss now and give someone a chance before we are in proper trouble if we wait 4 weeks we will probably be giving the new man no hope!

Reed would probably appoint Eric Black interim manager and dawdle before landing Roy Hodgson whilst explaining "everything is under control" and we are currently interviewing some "top-class candidates thoroughly and professionally to see if they fit our long-term strategy".

Its the first time this season I've come home from a game overly concerned. Shocking all over the pitch. The keeper looks shot. The centre halves are a poor shadow of what we've been used to. The midfield trio gave us nothing - absolutely pish. JRod looked lost out on the left and neither Boufal or Redmond provided anything either. Some nice movement and cracking goal from the new lad though. Its not all down to Puel though, the squad is a poor shadow of what we had not so long ago. Reed and the board are (at least) just as culpable. Thankfully we've a few points in hand over the bottom three because god only knows where our next league win is coming from.

Can't find the words to describe how I'm feeling after watching another gutless performance apart from the new lad took his goal well he had a few other chances and was unlucky with a couple, first impression of him he looks as though he could be useful.

Just another whinging bed wetter who won't be bothering to support a xxit manager and a xxit team at Wembley

Oh look another sad little keyboard warrior shame some of us been supporting home and away since you were in nappies.

I have my ticket thanks and will be there you ???

Oh look another sad little keyboard warrior shame some of us been supporting home and away since you were in nappies.

I have my ticket thanks and will be there you ???

Why dont support them then instead of whinging. Did you leave early ?

A 50 year old through thick and 'thin' Saints ' supporter' !!

Having witnessed a sustained season on season improvement and sensible growth over the past 7 years despite comings and goings we have now lost the plot.

Yes Reed may have to bear some responsibility but this manager is not working and is totally out of his league.

His tactics are inept, his rotation theory does not work and IMO he cannot communicate effectively.

All the previous good work is being undone and if he is so great (as some seem to infer) and it's not his fault then we are in this position - why did the club captain want away, why are other players rumoured to be wanting to leave and why is he not getting anywhere near the potential from the squad?

We certainly have enough decent players to fit into a consistent system that yields some reasonable results, even taking into account some injuries but where is the system, where is the commitment, the team spirit and the desire to perform not just for themselves or the fans but for the manager?

I'm sorry but I have lost hope with this shambolic set up at the moment and really think we are in deep deep trouble - Puel should have gone weeks ago - 4 or 5 wins in the EFL (2 or 3 of them 1-0 and rather fortunate) does not equal a success.

We need a change if we are to even survive this season - please dispense with this clueless idiot and at least get someone in who appears to care, wants to win and can at least inspire some confidence for the players and fans alike!

Selling Fonte without a quality ( or even competent) replacement has to be the most stupid decision ever taken by the management in all my time following Saints, which is most of 50 years.

Agreed, utterly ridiculous. Feel sorry for Jack Stephens, he looks like he knows he's out of his depth.