Les Reed

Heisenberg

Les Reed - In or Out?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Les Reed - In or Out?

Reed's three biggest mistakes (chronological order):

1) Not addressing the chronic striker problem, window after window. In fact making it even worse by loaning out Gallagher, selling JRod and not bringing in any replacements.

2) Sacking Puel, in essence making him the scapegoat for 1) and our lack of cover with the CB situation (VVD injured and Fonte off).

3) Not sacking the current clown months ago.

Plenty of other mistakes too (Fonte fiasco, Toby fiasco, not addressing the goalkeeper situation, etc.), but those the biggies, and why we are in the current mess. 1) and 3) are totally unforgivable. 2) can also be blamed on the players who helped force Puel out.

Note I don't blame him for hiring the clown, since at the time it wasn't obvious what a total disaster he'd be. But there's no excuse for not firing him months ago, when everyone and their dog knew he was a thick, clueless, buffoon.

And all the lower paid employees that have put all the effort in behind the scenes who could well lose there job when we go down, Les and Ralph will happily take their £££££ and head off without care in the world

Yep his son to has lined his pockets

Yep his son to has lined his pockets

Is there really anything approaching good evidence for those claims? If Saints had an exceptional 12 year old and he refused to sign up with Reed's son's agency then I find it very hard to believe the club would release the player for that reason.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Matt still trotting out the "Is that the board who delivered 4 top 8 finishes in a row and a cup final" patter on twitter ! :(

Has really screwed his credibility with fans over the last 6 months. I guess he is much attached to his freebies.

We all know how much impact a few well-chosen comments from him might have.

But then again, Benali and Micky Channon havent exactly stepped forward either...

Has really screwed his credibility with fans over the last 6 months. I guess he is much attached to his freebies.

We all know how much impact a few well-chosen comments from him might have.

But then again, Benali and Micky Channon havent exactly stepped forward either...

Even big Dave has had enough now , told Blackmore he need's to try and get an interview with Reed !

Matt still trotting out the "Is that the board who delivered 4 top 8 finishes in a row and a cup final" patter on twitter ! :(

Le tissier is an absolute toss pot on Twitter

Weird that when the freebies were not forthcoming and we were doing well, he loved a dig at those in charge

2311454ccb92e31f7fd954529a4c6aa6.jpg

Edited by Batman

When was the poll taken? Clearly 42% of the people on here thought he was doing a good job not so long ago...

This slide started in 2015 when we started really breaking the side up and selling and replacing the team and management too frequently for our own good. Not always with worse but different.

Anybody who forms teams will tell you how difficult it is and how it takes time and that you have to have a blend of the right people. Skills and competency to do their roles well also forms a big part. I don’t believe we have done this well and now it’s biting our arse.

We have now gone so far we have lost the culture of the club that the success was built on. It’s a long way back to restore it I’m afraid. We do almost need a clear out and reform around our beliefs. THIS is what the Board are failing to address

Why is Reed to blame?

was

For saying things when he Pellegrino unveiled like he was chosen after a “diligent selection process" (not a last minute appointment because no one else would come here). He followed that with praising Pellegrino's "commitment to attacking football had made him the standout candidate". He went on, "Mauricio believes with the quality we have we can play exciting, attacking football, taking the game to our opponents by playing a high-intensity game".

It was obvious from the off, he was nothing like it, more the opposite. Even if Reed genuinely believed the style would change after settling in by November if was clear, tedious possession football was Pellegrino's way. Reed should have swallowed his pride, held up his hands and gone to the owner and admitted his disastrous mistake.

It probably is too late but replace this guy now and it will galvanise a disallusioned fanbase in readiness for a tough run-in. Go down with a bit of fight and you might just hold on to a few more fans in the Championship.

When was the poll taken? Clearly 42% of the people on here thought he was doing a good job not so long ago...

This slide started in 2015 when we started really breaking the side up and selling and replacing the team and management too frequently for our own good. Not always with worse but different.

Anybody who forms teams will tell you how difficult it is and how it takes time and that you have to have a blend of the right people. Skills and competency to do their roles well also forms a big part. I don’t believe we have done this well and now it’s biting our arse.

We have now gone so far we have lost the culture of the club that the success was built on. It’s a long way back to restore it I’m afraid. We do almost need a clear out and reform around our beliefs. THIS is what the Board are failing to address

Personally I enjoyed the "slide" in 2015 to 7th and then the further catastrophic slide in 2016 to sixth. The slide to eighth, still one of our highest ever finishes, in 2017 was a slide I could pretty easily live with especially as I slid to Wembley.

Why is Reed to blame? When things were going well people said it wasn’t due to him, it was all other people responsible for our success, so now things are going wrong why isn’t the same reasoning being applied?

He was given a Ferrari and Immediately sold the seats and stopped servicing it.

He's since sold the engine, the steering wheel and failed to repair it after a crash last year.

Sure the car was initially still fast (even without the seats) but the lack of due care and maintenance means the car is now almost non recoverable.

Personally I enjoyed the "slide" in 2015 to 7th and then the further catastrophic slide in 2016 to sixth. The slide to eighth, still one of our highest ever finishes, in 2017 was a slide I could pretty easily live with especially as I slid to Wembley.

So you think this happens overnight then? They have made decisions which in the long term has led us to where we are now even if in the short term it is masked. Culture has been slowly eroded

So you think this happens overnight then? They have made decisions which in the long term has led us to where we are now even if in the short term it is masked. Culture has been slowly eroded

Bang on. Not obvious to see but the signs were there. Uncomfortable for many at the time, but yes, they were there if you looked carefully.

Anyone that considers us finishing in sixth place, on 18 wins - eighteen wins - as being part of a "slide" or an "erosion of culture" is a fu cking idiot. Fair play if you want to be that guy.

Last season was an average one but not terrible by our historical standards.

A decent managerial appointment, or even a sacking of Pellegrino in November or January could have had us top ten yet again no bother. Top ten for five consecutive seasons in the Premier League has never happened for us and was hardly a regular occurrence in the pre-Prem era.

If we were 9th now - hardly unrealistic- I seriously doubt people would be babbling on about a made up slide that started two or three years before.

It's horsesh it son. We've appointed a dreadful manager and too fu cking pig-headed to admit it. Slide started last summer and here we are.

Sorry, just checked. We have never, ever before even finish four seasons in a row in the top ten of the top flight.

But we're supposed to believe that the second, third and fourth seasons in an unprecedented run formed part of a "slide". Fu cking right you are.

Sorry, just checked. We have never, ever before even finish four seasons in a row in the top ten of the top flight.

But we're supposed to believe that the second, third and fourth seasons in an unprecedented run formed part of a "slide". Fu cking right you are.

I think people have a good point when they say that although we finished 8th last season, there were obvious deficiencies that were not addressed and the performances were not as strong as the previous year. Evidence of a slide. Getting away from the statistics, the slide started slowly and was not steep, but it began to gather pace this season because it was not properly addressed. IMO there were a host of reasons for this and some could be traced back quite a long time.

Statistics alone do NOT ell the whole story.

For me, things were going reasonably well for Reed until the 2017 January transfer window. Puel, at the time, seemed like a reasonable appointment. Boufal, Hojbjerg and Austin seemed like decent replacements for Mané, Wanyama and Pellè. As the season wore on things didn’t quite go to plan but I don’t blame Les for sticking with CP when we had a cup final and were in no real danger of going down.

What really smacked of incompetence was selling Fonte without any kind of replacement and the subsequent Caceres saga. Since then it has become apparent his long term replacement is in fact Stephens. A very average, cheap as chips academy player. The epitome of Lowe-esq false economy.

For me, things were going reasonably well for Reed until the 2017 January transfer window. Puel, at the time, seemed like a reasonable appointment. Boufal, Hojbjerg and Austin seemed like decent replacements for Mané, Wanyama and Pellè. As the season wore on things didn’t quite go to plan but I don’t blame Les for sticking with CP when we had a cup final and were in no real danger of going down.

What really smacked of incompetence was selling Fonte without any kind of replacement and the subsequent Caceres saga. Since then it has become apparent his long term replacement is in fact Stephens. A very average, cheap as chips academy player. The epitome of Lowe-esq false economy.

I think that is fair.

Agree with this.

The reality is that the summer 2016 signings have been a huge disappointment.

The reality is that the summer 2016 signings have been a huge disappointment.
And the non-signings. Remain convinced that a decent Pelle replacement scoring actual goals would have created a team under less pressure where luxury players like Redmond and Boufal may well have flourished.

And the non-signings. Remain convinced that a decent Pelle replacement scoring actual goals would have created a team under less pressure where luxury players like Redmond and Boufal may well have flourished.

It was all the rage a year or so ago to be told that Austin was Pelle's replacement

Edited by Batman

Agreed. But haven't you somewhat contradicted yourself?

It was all the rage a year or so ago to be told that Austin was Pellets replacement

He was. The fact that he has proved inadequate due to injuries is a different matter. With Austin, Long, Jay Rod, Tadic, Redmond, Boufal, Davis, JWP and Sims all fighting over 4 places, we had enough players. It’s the quality of them which is the problem.

He was. The fact that he has proved inadequate due to injuries is a different matter. With Austin, Long, Jay Rod, Tadic, Redmond, Boufal, Davis, JWP and Sims all fighting over 4 places, we had enough players. It’s the quality of them which is the problem.

Same problem we had in 2004. A bloated squad lacking quality.

Agree. Also the right sort of centre half would have helped Stephens & Wes become better players. I like Yoshida but he doesn’t come across as an organiser or leader. There’s decent players in there somewhere, but they’re both shell shocked at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A sick-note, a non-scorer, and a has-been (due to injury). A massive hole up front that has been ignored over multiple windows. And of course we now can add the CB situation to the mess we're in.

All overshadowed now of course by the non-sacking of the drooling, incompetent, imbecile clown of a manager.

Why are you defending him? It’s patently obvious he’s culpable for a lot of this mess.

He must therefore also be responsible for the success that went before it using the same logic.

Personally I think we should sack Pellegrino and Reed take over as caretaker manager until the end of the season. He is a proven leader, well respected in the game, tactically astute and crucially knows the players inside and out. I know some people will point to his record at Charlton but they were a club in absolute turmoil not even Guardiola could have saved them. The situation is much less dire than that here. With Reed organising the coaching and tactics and our world renowned sports motivational speaker Ralph ever willing to give the lads a rallying call I'm certain they could inspire us to get the wins needed and shut the anti Reed brigade up once and for all.

He must therefore also be responsible for the success that went before it using the same logic.

Personally I think we should sack Pellegrino and Reed take over as caretaker manager until the end of the season. He is a proven leader, well respected in the game, tactically astute and crucially knows the players inside and out. I know some people will point to his record at Charlton but they were a club in absolute turmoil not even Guardiola could have saved them. The situation is much less dire than that here. With Reed organising the coaching and tactics and our world renowned sports motivational speaker Ralph ever willing to give the lads a rallying call I'm certain they could inspire us to get the wins needed and shut the anti Reed brigade up once and for all.

Top Effort. Brilliant trolling Turks..

You had me going right up to where you mentioned Freddie

Kinda funny the two people on here who bashed Cortese every chance they got somehow give the current guy in charge a free ride.....

Can only imagine what they would be saying if odd job were still here, going into the dressing room to speak to players and so on.

Whatever happens from here on out Reeds reputation is shot. We went from 3 points from the CL to winning 17 of 68 pl games in just two years.

When we are down on struggling again next season no doubt the two morons will still be talking about how we finished 6th, 7th and 8th......

Whoever is the next manager needs to be a strong character and a name so Les is forced out of the first team picture and hopefully retires. The situation Les has put himself in means he can only attract the likes of Hughes, Silva or Bilic and they are not personas you can manipulate, same as Koeman and Pochettino weren’t.