Les Reed

Heisenberg

Les Reed - In or Out?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Les Reed - In or Out?

I think more importantly are the high money purchases that have squandered the money that the good ones brought in.

Ramirez

Osvaldo

Guido

Boufal

That's about 70m I think.

It seems that the club are good at assessing players under 8m but when we push a bit more we seem to screw ourselves.

Its a bit like managers who seem to do well at a certain level but when they have to do it the next rung up it goes wrong. Aka Warnock and I think Sean Daish(?) the same

You could arguably add the following to that list

Gabbiadini

Hoedt

Although they have played some games I would say at a cost of 30 million they have not contributed what the club or us fans would expect

We’ve had loads of low budget flops from Forren to Juanmi - the only difference is that they’re less noticeable and easier to absorb. By contrast, some of our more successful signings e.g. VVD and Mané were relatively expensive when we bought them.
were they not 8m or less? I cant recall. They were not in the Ramirez Boufal price bracket.

Perhaps we ain't as good as buying as the club portrays lol

were they not 8m or less? I cant recall. They were not in the Ramirez Boufal price bracket.

Perhaps we ain't as good as buying as the club portrays lol

Mane was around 10-11m from memory, VVD was closer to £14m. In fact he was our record signing for a period.

The signings that have been cheap and we've tried to gamble on haven't really worked. (Forren, Austin, Juanmi, Bedranek, Gardos, Mayuka). All less than £8m.

Mane was around 10-11m from memory, VVD was closer to £14m. In fact he was our record signing for a period.

The signings that have been cheap and we've tried to gamble on haven't really worked. (Forren, Austin, Juanmi, Bedranek, Gardos, Mayuka). All less than £8m.

Austin ? Our top scorer last season and probably this season hasn't really worked ?

Austin ? Our top scorer last season and probably this season hasn't really worked ?

No, it hasn't worked because he's never fit. He's kind of been our top scorer by default, it's not like he's been hitting double figures or anything groundbreaking like that.

If we can get more than £10m for Austin we will be doing well. We don't have any really valuable players left to sell. Whoever we sell we will be looking lower leagues for replacement or old ready for retirement has beens shades of last time we were in this mess.

If we can get more than £10m for Austin we will be doing well. We don't have any really valuable players left to sell. Whoever we sell we will be looking lower leagues for replacement or old ready for retirement has beens shades of last time we were in this mess.

There is no way on earth you would get anywhere near £10 million for Austin

For research I decided to look up Ross Wilson on LinkedIn - amazingly he is there. He brags on his profile about making huge player profits at Falkirk and Udders whilst they were brilliant etc - funnily enough he doesn’t make any such claims for his current position. Aside from being odd that he feels the need to have a LinkedIn profile a couple of things jumped out at me. Firstly he has zero playing experience, his career is match reports, player liaison (no idea) and then chief scout for small clubs. At the age of 30 and with that experience he has managed to blow the largest budget outside the top 6 on, let’s face it, tripe.

This isn’t a post to slag him off - i’d be the same and be loving the power of spending £150m. But he is totally out of his depth and should never have been appointed at that level so soon - hasn’t he actually been promoted as well since ?.

Secondly this is Mo Pe/Po all over again. Young and cheap - check, done a good job for a league 1 side - check. But we appointed Mitchell in the Champ, Mitchell has a wealth of experience as a player - there is just no due diligence going on - it’s major appointments by coincidence.

I looked up a couple of articles on him when he was still riding Mitchell’s coat tail. There he is bragging how scouting Van Dijk wasn’t rocket science (of course not - you didn’t do it) and how he had a list of 20 players they looked at for not just skill but personality, drive and fitting in.

I’d love another interview now please for him to explain the last two years. This club is in dire straights - I can imagine what the wizened old scouting network make of this young chances calling the shots..,

My fear is repoeating the 2005 relegation and facing another fight next year. We haven't got the nous in the scouuting dept now that we had when we got the double promotion, and we're going to need it. What happened to Jason Dodd, I always felt happier when he was around

My fear is repoeating the 2005 relegation and facing another fight next year. We haven't got the nous in the scouuting dept now that we had when we got the double promotion, and we're going to need it. What happened to Jason Dodd, I always felt happier when he was around

I also wonder if the new owner has the resources and the inclination to fund a promotion push.

Dodd & Paul Williams fell out with Les's mate Martin Hunter & got shown the door. Allegedly.

Dodd & Paul Williams fell out with Les's mate Martin Hunter & got shown the door. Allegedly.

Les Reed has been like a cuckoo in the nest who has got rid of anybody at the club who was doing a good job: managers, coaches, scouts, players and staff alike, and brought in inferior replacements who were more acquiescent to him. And everybody he gets rid of has negative 'leaks' about him released to the media. In Dodd's case it was that he was "lazy" when thr truth was he was doing a great job.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/20/luke-shaw-gutted-southampton-sack-academy-coached

Les Reed has been like a cuckoo in the nest who has got rid of anybody at the club who was doing a good job: managers, coaches, scouts, players and staff alike, and brought in inferior replacements who were more acquiescent to him. And everybody he gets rid of has negative 'leaks' about him released to the media. In Dodd's case it was that he was "lazy" when thr truth was he was doing a great job.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/20/luke-shaw-gutted-southampton-sack-academy-coached

The bit that stood out from that article which is somes us up:

Mauricio Pochettino, who is a target for Tottenham Hotspur. Pochettino has one year to run on his contract and he is open to considering any official approach from Tottenham. Southampton are working to convince him that their ambitions match his own and there is confidence at the club that he will stay.

So, you think puel is a good manager (fair enough argument) but that Les wasn't mistaken to sack him then? :?

What Puel's Leicester team prove is how bad our squad was last season. Something else that is Les' fault.

You are quite right Saint86. Les was wrong to sack Puel if it was due to fan\player pressure if he believed he was the right man for the job. We'll never know whether there was something else that was the reason though, but likely that Les bowed to outside influences. Which in turn, led to us hanging on too long to Pellegrino as getting rid too soon cost us a decent manager previously and the board\Les were too scared to make the same mistake again.

I think Puel only had one issue last year in terms of squad and that was the loss of both Fonte and van Di ck. Had we replaced Fonte properly and VD stayed injury free, I think the defensive spine would've held and we would've attacked more, making the end to last season more entertaining for the fans. So yes, another of Les's faults is that he's not effectively replaced our defensive line... and still hasn't.

Does anyone think we will here another public statement from Reedo before his (in my view inevitable) departure? Would be interesting to see him give one of his interviews after we've been relegated but I suspect we won't get that.

Does anyone think we will here another public statement from Reedo before his (in my view inevitable) departure? Would be interesting to see him give one of his interviews after we've been relegated but I suspect we won't get that.

"We've collated data & have long planned to go back to the championship as part of a broader strategy of the Southampton way...... This was always the plan."

I have really mixed feelings about what LR has done for the club. Over the past few years I've defended him a lot. I genuinely got the impression he knew what he was doing. As things currently stand, I think his position is untenable.

The final straw for me personally was the January transfer window. LR has always been happy to talk about how well prepared the club is and how the club does everything on its own terms. The VVD deal was great financially, but it was the final nail in the coffin of any lofty ambitions that we may once have had (not really sure we ever did, but that's another argument altogether).

He personally endorsed Pellegrino's appointment as an guy who would bring attacking football to St Mary's. But he was anything but the right guy and has made LR's comments look even more stupid. His silence since Hughes' appointment speaks volumes for me; where he would once be all over the PR charm offensive, now he's silent in the background.

I suspect Reed has been told he is not wanted at the club and is saving face by scrabbling around for anyone who will take him; thus making it look like not being sacked. Having talked to a Charlton fan the other day, it is amazing he stlll earns a living from anything remotely connected to football.

He is a failure in the game in everything but a back-office role.You could even argue he has failed there as well.He will be absolutely no loss to the football club. An absolute charlatan.

If there is any truth in this story my guess is that Gao has already told him (sic. to look for one job) his contract will not be renewed in the summer.

I think Les Reed was by and large doing a good job, until the two seasons. All clubs and DOF's are a bit hot and miss in the tranfer market but there have been some glaring errors in recruitement

1 - Buying Classie when we already had Davis, JWP and Reed on the books. Four mudget midfielders is too much for anyone other than Barcelona to get away with, and Davis is no Ineista. Either he should have signed someone taller, or sold one of the others to make room in the squad.

2 - Not replacing Mane and Pelle. 30 odd goals to be provided bu JayRod, Austin and Redmond ?

3 - Not singing a proper no 10. Reeds 433 philopsophy is built around a sigursdson/Eriksen type of player, but all we had was Davis. Boufal had played their at Lille and Ramirez was sometimes good in that position, but playing for 4 seasons with a slightly attacking CM such as Davis does not fit with his chosen style of play.

4 - Not Replacing Fonte in the Jan 2017 window.

5 - Not replacing VVD in the Jan 2018 window.

6 - Signing a young CB Bendarek when we already had a young CB in Stephens in the squad, does not seem like one for the future unless they think he will look good in the championship.

7 - Buying Carrillo and not aiming the balll at his head. I have spoken to Monaco fans who say he is fantastic in the air but other than against WBA and the equaliser at Burnley we have never tried it on a consistent basis.

Some of the other flops have been gambles, but with a logic to them. For instance Forren was signed in a January window when our only CB's were Yoshida and Fonte ) see points 5 and 6 above).

A chairmen who knew anything about football would have had Reed on an improvement plan after Jan 2017 , and had him sacked by xmas.

I think Les Reed was by and large doing a good job, until the two seasons. All clubs and DOF's are a bit hot and miss in the tranfer market but there have been some glaring errors in recruitement

1 - Buying Classie when we already had Davis, JWP and Reed on the books. Four mudget midfielders is too much for anyone other than Barcelona to get away with, and Davis is no Ineista. Either he should have signed someone taller, or sold one of the others to make room in the squad.

2 - Not replacing Mane and Pelle. 30 odd goals to be provided bu JayRod, Austin and Redmond ?

3 - Not singing a proper no 10. Reeds 433 philopsophy is built around a sigursdson/Eriksen type of player, but all we had was Davis. Boufal had played their at Lille and Ramirez was sometimes good in that position, but playing for 4 seasons with a slightly attacking CM such as Davis does not fit with his chosen style of play.

4 - Not Replacing Fonte in the Jan 2017 window.

5 - Not replacing VVD in the Jan 2018 window.

6 - Signing a young CB Bendarek when we already had a young CB in Stephens in the squad, does not seem like one for the future unless they think he will look good in the championship.

7 - Buying Carrillo and not aiming the balll at his head. I have spoken to Monaco fans who say he is fantastic in the air but other than against WBA and the equaliser at Burnley we have never tried it on a consistent basis.

Some of the other flops have been gambles, but with a logic to them. For instance Forren was signed in a January window when our only CB's were Yoshida and Fonte ) see points 5 and 6 above).

A chairmen who knew anything about football would have had Reed on an improvement plan after Jan 2017 , and had him sacked by xmas.

I started saying he was shiiiite 2 years ago. Bit late now to finally cotton on.

Reed is one of those people,who you think how the hell has he got such a good job. It seems to me that there are certain people in the world who just know how to act when talking to people in power and ingratiate themselves to them. They then get rid of anybody who is a likely threat to them, to keep their place safe. I have never warmed to him, and to give your book of coaching to the manager when you first join just shows what type of man he is.

Reed is to blame for this complete shambles. Arrogant tosspot who thinks he’s some sort of footballing messiah. I hope his final days at st marys in stands are far from comfortable. And Krueger, well he just talks complete ******** 99.9% of the time.

It is possible to do both you realise? The players and manager are not called Les Reed. Although I'm pretty sure he'd like to be the latter.

Not in our current situation when all efforts should be to back the team to "try" to help the team win...

When its over, up or down, one way or another then will be time to vent at the board

Not in our current situation when all efforts should be to back the team to "try" to help the team win...

When its over, up or down, one way or another then will be time to vent at the board

Agreed! During the summer when they're all on holiday!! :mcinnes:

We've supported the team during two years of nonsense, it's made no difference.

Time to get at those ****ers "managing" this decline now

:lol: class. They come in, cause mayhem and f uck off at the first sign of trouble.

In fairness, relegation and a rebuild at board level is probably the best thing that could happen. The trouble is, who will Gao appoint? Does he have the money or hunger to invest the money needed to get us back to the level we have previously seen?

:lol: class. They come in, cause mayhem and f uck off at the first sign of trouble.

In fairness, relegation and a rebuild at board level is probably the best thing that could happen. The trouble is, who will Gao appoint? Does he have the money or hunger to invest the money needed to get us back to the level we have previously seen?

Does he have the knowledge or the contacts in English football? And why did he buy us anyway?

I certainly blame him rather than Puel. We all knew that a striker was needed in the summer, and of course a CB this window. But also a couple of seasons ago when we had a real shot at top 4 he blew it by not bringing in a decent back up goalie. Forster duly got injured after the window closed, and we were left with Laurel and Hardy as goalkeepers for most of the rest of the season, with a top 4 finish obviously going down in flames.

It's Les wot done us.

But he and his mates are still least worse than a hedge fund management of SFC.