Les Reed

Heisenberg

Les Reed - In or Out?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Les Reed - In or Out?

And rightly so, it is a massive conflict of interest.

Interesting how this has now come up a week or so after it came to light on here.....

Would be avoid signing players if their agent was related to someone at the club then? I'd hope not.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

And rightly so, it is a massive conflict of interest.

Not saying I like it, but what exactly can he do to prevent that? He doesn't have any say over his sons choice of player to represent. Should he have asked his son not to represent Saints players? What if he represents a player at another club that we happen to become interested in? It's all very messy.

it terms of positives and negatives. Perhaps his son's client's are treated favourably, but equally, perhaps he has more chance of convincing his son's clients to stay at the club.

Not saying I like it, but what exactly can he do to prevent that? He doesn't have any say over his sons choice of player to represent. Should he have asked his son not to represent Saints players? What if he represents a player at another club that we happen to become interested in? It's all very messy.

it terms of positives and negatives. Perhaps his son's client's are treated favourably, but equally, perhaps he has more chance of convincing his son's clients to stay at the club.

Whatever way you look at it, it’s not right and unfair on at least one party (selling club player may force move or agent may sell for less than true value, player potentially may not get best possible deal or us could be over paying).

The only thing he could do to prevent is completely stay out of all negotiations who have said Agent. This may well be the case, but I doubt it.

it terms of positives and negatives. Perhaps his son's client's are treated favourably, but equallyybe, perhaps he has more chance of convincing his son's clients to stay at the club.

Perhaps he's partial to a brown envelope, maybe, allegedly.

The allegation was that academy players were being pressured/persuaded to sign with his sons agency and were being offered better deals. That's all hearsay but certainly worth a journalist investigating if there's anything shady as it'd be a fairly big story.

I’d like to know why he’s off to some fancy do in Bristol at a crucial time of the transfer window.[/

Who he is accountable to though? Blatant two fingers at the club employees and fans. Hope that manager or coach does call him out on that on the possible conflict of interest. Redknapp and Reed deserve each other.

The allegation was that academy players were being pressured/persuaded to sign with his sons agency and were being offered better deals. That's all hearsay but certainly worth a journalist investigating if there's anything shady as it'd be a fairly big story.

That would be the last pretence of the Southampton Way gone. Honestly don’t know what the club stands for anymore other than owners making money

As an aside, Arsene Wenger incredibly impressive and absolutely spot on with his comments about the development of English players.

He has done a superb job nurturing the talent of Walcott, The Ox and Chambers. I'd also say that Wilshere, Ramsey and several other lower profile Arsenal players haven't been the successes they could have been. At one time these players were coveted by others, not so much anymore!

There are some proper conspiracy theorists on here aren't there. The club will undoubtedly have a Conflicts of Interest Policy which will cover such situations. Do you really think the club, that deal with Football Agencies all the time, are not aware that Les Reed's lad works for Midas Sports?

There's also a small matter of the FA's Conflicts of Interest Policy and the fact that any transactions undertaken where there is a possible conflict need one of these completed:

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/thefaportal/governance-docs/agents/.../ag3.ashx

Les isn't the first person connected with a football club to have a potential conflict of interest with an agent and he won't be the last.

I agree. Something rotten in the core of the club and since Cortese left, we have been on a steady decline with Les at the helm. Not helped by Ralph's p*ss poor PR. I don't believe the huge exodus of our best players leaving is down to money alone. We will, of course, never get to hear it but the lies and prevaricating tripe from the club is generic and insulting to our intelligence. We have had an attacking and goal scoring problem since Mané and Pelle left seasons ago and nothing has been done. Weak managerial appointments The club are fully at fault and need a revamp from board level.

I agree. Something rotten in the core of the club and since Cortese left, we have been on a steady decline with Les at the helm. Not helped by Ralph's p*ss poor PR. I don't believe the huge exodus of our best players leaving is down to money alone. We will, of course, never get to hear it but the lies and prevaricating tripe from the club is generic and insulting to our intelligence. We have had an attacking and goal scoring problem since Mané and Pelle left seasons ago and nothing has been done. Weak managerial appointments The club are fully at fault and need a revamp from board level.

Good post.

He earned trust and some wiggle room during his tenure (we were always going to have a sticky patch at some point), but that is now evaporating incredibly quickly given that all of these situations are seemingly created by our own doing.

This. We do come across as incredibly naive in negotiations - rolling over to Liverpool on 1st Jan and still being frustrated by Spartak on 31st Jan.

I agree. Getting the world record fee for a defender is very naive, especially as it is only 150% more than the next guy.

To be honest the money we get for players is irrelevant, the club can pat themselves on the back about that for as long as they want (which they will) but if it's not reinvested into the playing side correctly then we might as well have just got 5p.

I agree. Getting the world record fee for a defender is very naive, especially as it is only 150% more than the next guy.

So you would give this transfer window a 10 then? I wonder if I'll hear you moaning if we wind up down a division.

To be honest the money we get for players is irrelevant, the club can pat themselves on the back about that for as long as they want (which they will) but if it's not reinvested into the playing side correctly then we might as well have just got 5p.

Can't really see how that's les' fault though. He negotiated higher fee's for generally all of our players, getting 75m for VVD was daylight robbery.

That said, I can't see how he can be overly criticised for this TW. Looking at the facts (and by facts i mean whats widely reported)

Walcott was done, agent changed his mind at the last minute, looked for other options, walcott didn't fancy a relegation scrap

Carrillo - Done, supported by the manager, likely a manager decision, lets see how it works out. 20m is last years 10m

Promes - Assuming this is dead in the water, apparently fee agreed with player and club, Spartak wanted a replacement, or money all upfront, apparently club didn't have the equity.

My real question is where is the money ? I really don't see that as Les' issue TBH. He is almost certainly set budgets and maximum values for players/wages etc. The money was there to splash on Ramirez/Osvaldo when we were under ML's tenure.

There has obviously been a huge sea change since KL and Gao. We seem to have cut back, been more careful with our money. Thats the real worry for me. And personally I would suggest that Gao, KL and Krueger must be very comfortable with criticism aimed at Reed and not them

So you would give this transfer window a 10 then? I wonder if I'll hear you moaning if we wind up down a division.

Depends what you want from a transfer window. If you just want to ignore what we already have and just spend tens of millions, then I guess you will be upset. I am presuming you are looking at Van Dijk in this window, but he was as good as gone in the summer. Or in reality, when he was meeting Klopp in Blackpool.

As for moaning if we get relegated, you sure won't hear it coming from me. I am getting increasingly ambivalent about football. We've been travelling separate paths for years now, and we've got to the point where we are nearly out of sight of each other. Priorities change. Life changes. Football isn't attractive any more. The PL is a hideous pit of greed, with players who largely have no connection with the clubs they play for. I think that I might take up clay pigeon shooting instead.

Depends what you want from a transfer window. If you just want to ignore what we already have and just spend tens of millions, then I guess you will be upset. I am presuming you are looking at Van Dijk in this window, but he was as good as gone in the summer. Or in reality, when he was meeting Klopp in Blackpool.

As for moaning if we get relegated, you sure won't hear it coming from me. I am getting increasingly ambivalent about football. We've been travelling separate paths for years now, and we've got to the point where we are nearly out of sight of each other. Priorities change. Life changes. Football isn't attractive any more. The PL is a hideous pit of greed, with players who largely have no connection with the clubs they play for. I think that I might take up clay pigeon shooting instead.

Oh yes look at all these entitled supporters daring to expect reinvestment after selling their biggest asset and best player. How spoilt everyone is!

Totally agree - apart from the clay pigeon shooting - I'm a sh it shot.

Oh yes look at all these entitled supporters daring to expect reinvestment after selling their biggest asset and best player. How spoilt everyone is!

But that investment needs to be on the right players. If we have failed to get them, then let's not panic buy because we have a flamin' great wedge in our sky rocket. OK, we cocked up plan A and plan B, sh it happens, but we need to be more considered if we are moving on to plan C.

You can think whatever you like chum, that's your wont, but on a football forum emotions and expectations get in the way of a cogent argument.

There has obviously been a huge sea change since KL and Gao. We seem to have cut back, been more careful with our money. Thats the real worry for me. And personally I would suggest that Gao, KL and Krueger must be very comfortable with criticism aimed at Reed and not them

Like I've said before there's a reason the premier league changed their rules after he brought us and why Crouchie called him a crook !

But that investment needs to be on the right players. If we have failed to get them, then let's not panic buy because we have a flamin' great wedge in our sky rocket. OK, we cocked up plan A and plan B, sh it happens, but we need to be more considered if we are moving on to plan C.
I'm assuming we have more than two realistic targets this window that would improve us? We should have set a deadline for promes and if it was clear we weren't getting him then we move on to the next target on the list. I understand the need to wait till the last second for some deals but we didn't have that luxury this time due to our situation. To probably end up with no one is simply rank bad management and combined with keeping the manager is going to end up with us relegated most likely.

This doesn't make sense to me.

You are assuming we actually have any plans at all? We are only 6hrs or so until the window shuts. Old Les loves to talk about how we think ahead of the game and have the next people ie managers/players already to go.

The issue for me is that we have not won in 15+ games. We have not won in the league since November. We have played awful football all season and have the exact same problems we have had for the two previous windows. Why the **** are we leaving it until the last few hours to get sorted? Just admit it Les and co have ****ed up for the 3rd window in a row. Les supposedly gets commission on player sales so no wonder those deals get done quickly.

We can't afford to fail. There is less than 6hours left and we are in the bottom 2.

Every single window / season people say we should wait, not waste money, only invest in our own time. The problem is that the investment strategy is up the swanny and those holding the reigns have no idea what they are doing... and still, with 6hours to go, people are saying they are correct to not strengthen if its not a well researched target... How the hell did we only have Walcott and Promes as our only two winger targets going into the final day of the window; when we blatantly need more attacking options!!! Sorry, its worse than that... just Promes. :mcinnes: :lol: And where is the CB that nearly every fan knows we need. It is bloody tragic that the fans are incapable of seeing what a complete **** fest our strat is.

Things need to change right at the very top whether we stay up or not. Nearly every single window since Cortese / Poch / Mitchell left has been an utter facepalm.

Edited by Saint86