Les Reed

Heisenberg

Les Reed - In or Out?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Les Reed - In or Out?

Kinda funny the two people on here who bashed Cortese every chance they got somehow give the current guy in charge a free ride.....

Can only imagine what they would be saying if odd job were still here, going into the dressing room to speak to players and so on.

Whatever happens from here on out Reeds reputation is shot. We went from 3 points from the CL to winning 17 of 68 pl games in just two years.

When we are down on struggling again next season no doubt the two morons will still be talking about how we finished 6th, 7th and 8th......

This!

I credited Les Reed with having played an important part in the steady rise of the club following the administration. But over the last couple of years he lost his way and even worse, hasn't seemed able to recognise when his decisions have gone wrong. I stopped defending him some time ago and in my opinion the failure to act against Pellegrino back in November/December when the failure was apparent is unforgiveable. Not sure when Reed should go, close season maybe, but go he should.

I credited Les Reed with having played an important part in the steady rise of the club following the administration. But over the last couple of years he lost his way and even worse, hasn't seemed able to recognise when his decisions have gone wrong. I stopped defending him some time ago and in my opinion the failure to act against Pellegrino back in November/December when the failure was apparent is unforgiveable. Not sure when Reed should go, close season maybe, but go he should.

Yep. His time is coming to an end.

Made the worst mistake he could by believeing his own hype.

Les stepped into Cortese’s Cuban heels during the great meltdown and sucked up as much power as he could. He’s arguably become just as arrogant and petty without any of the clearheaded ruthlessness or decisiveness. We’ve seen needless digs at other clubs in PR pieces when we sign new players, delusions of grandeur when he laughed off Tottenham’s interest in Wanyama, or Everton’s interest in Ronald, laps up photo opportunities during new player signings but goes MIA whenever he has to answer to any real criticism. The January puff piece by Wilson was classic Les with the laughable bit of double-think about him never having tried to take credit for the dazzling transfer successes. Even more absurd when you consider our other favoured journalist, Sam Wallace, headlined his VvD to Liverpool piece ‘how Liverpool danced to Les Reed’s tune’.

Despite the acrimonious departures of an ever-growing number of players, he’s tried to manufacture an image of himself as methodical, calculating, and hard-nosed but more recently that’s been exposed as a sham - he’s just a self-aggrandising ditherer, who has hoodwinked the fanbase on one too many occasions now - the most recent January transfer window being the most egregious example. It’s build up a sense of distrust between the fanbase and boardroom that has only been exacerbated by the takeover of the elusive Gao.

The failure to get rid of Pellegrino before Christmas, and the last two catastrophic January transfer windows have done it for Les IMO. He needs to be put out to pasture and we get someone with a bit more dynamism who can shake things up a bit at first team and academy level and rebuild some of the broken bonds with the fanbase.

Ross Wilson can also go with him as he doesn’t appear to do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Les stepped into Cortese’s Cuban heels during the great meltdown and sucked up as much power as he could. He’s arguably become just as arrogant and petty without any of the clearheaded ruthlessness or decisiveness. We’ve seen needless digs at other clubs in PR pieces when we sign new players, delusions of grandeur when he laughed off Tottenham’s interest in Wanyama, or Everton’s interest in Ronald, laps up photo opportunities during new player signings but goes MIA whenever he has to answer to any real criticism. The iJanuary puff piece by Wilson was classic Les with the laughable bit of double-think about him never having tried to take credit for the dazzling transfer successes. Even more absurd when you consider our other favoured journalist, Sam Wallace, headlined his VvD to Liverpool piece ‘how Liverpool danced to Les Reed’s tune’.

Despite the acrimonious departures of an ever-growing number of players, he’s tried to manufacture an image of himself as methodical, calculating, and hard-nosed but more recently that’s been exposed as a sham - he’s just a self-aggrandising ditherer, who has hoodwinked the fanbase on one too many occasions now - the most recent January transfer window being the most egregious example. It’s build up a sense of distrust between the fanbase and boardroom that has only been exacerbated by the takeover of the elusive Gao.

The failure to get rid of Pellegrino before Christmas, and the last two catastrophic January transfer windows have done it for Les IMO. He needs to be put out to pasture and we get someone with a bit more dynamism who can shake things up a bit at first team and academy level and rebuild some of the broken bonds with the fanbase.

I was going to start a new thread on this subject but this says it all, after seeing on Sky TV and BBC South that SFC management weren't going to make any comment. Reed and Kreuger MIA yet again. When I think back to the numerous times those idiots have pushed their glossy agenda with fatuous interviews, making meaningless comments full of buzz, it made me cringe.

Always ready to duck when the bullets are flying, they need to man up and talk to the supporters not hide behind the PR.

Les stepped into Cortese’s Cuban heels during the great meltdown and sucked up as much power as he could. He’s arguably become just as arrogant and petty without any of the clearheaded ruthlessness or decisiveness. We’ve seen needless digs at other clubs in PR pieces when we sign new players, delusions of grandeur when he laughed off Tottenham’s interest in Wanyama, or Everton’s interest in Ronald, laps up photo opportunities during new player signings but goes MIA whenever he has to answer to any real criticism. The January puff piece by Wilson was classic Les with the laughable bit of double-think about him never having tried to take credit for the dazzling transfer successes. Even more absurd when you consider our other favoured journalist, Sam Wallace, headlined his VvD to Liverpool piece ‘how Liverpool danced to Les Reed’s tune’.

Nailed it.

Agree totally

Les has not exactly covered himself with glory. Appointing Pellegrino and then leaving it so late to sack him, were huge, damaging mistakes.

He should have a lot to answer for if the next manager does not work out well, but isn’t he bulletproof for a while under the terms of the Gao takeover?

It is beyond me how mopey has been sacked and Les Reed hasn't followed him. He is equally (if not more) culpable for our position.

In fact sod that, he is directly culpable. It's his strategy, his player sales, his recruitment (both player and coaching). He is a delusional toxic cancer at the heart of the club and just needs to go. Asap.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

It is beyond me how mopey has been sacked and Les Reed hasn't followed him. He is equally (if not more) culpable for our position.

In fact sod that, he is directly culpable. It's his strategy, his player sales, his recruitment (both player and coaching). He is a delusional toxic cancer at the heart of the club and just needs to go. Asap.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Les is bulletproof under the terms of the takeover. The club kindly reminded us of that via Jeremy Wilson, when they announced the sacking of Pellegrino...

“The wider backdrop is also significant. After Southampton were bought and taken out of administration by Marcus Liebherr in 2009, a majority 80 per cent stake was sold last summer to the Chinese Gao family for £210 million.

As part of that deal, they promised to keep the existing executive team in place. There has so far been little day-to-day interference but they have said little and fans are currently uncertain about their intentions and whether there will be further squad investment.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/03/12/mauricio-pellegrino-sacked-southampton-just-nine-months-charge/

Les is bulletproof under the terms of the takeover. The club kindly reminded us of that via Jeremy Wilson, when they announced the sacking of Pellegrino...

“The wider backdrop is also significant. After Southampton were bought and taken out of administration by Marcus Liebherr in 2009, a majority 80 per cent stake was sold last summer to the Chinese Gao family for £210 million.

As part of that deal, they promised to keep the existing executive team in place. There has so far been little day-to-day interference but they have said little and fans are currently uncertain about their intentions and whether there will be further squad investment.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/03/12/mauricio-pellegrino-sacked-southampton-just-nine-months-charge/

Hmm so potentially we are contractually obliged to have him in charge. No wonder he is doing whatever he likes! He's like the worst bits of Cortese but without the good bits and without having to answer to anyone.

Hmm so potentially we are contractually obliged to have him in charge. No wonder he is doing whatever he likes! He's like the worst bits of Cortese but without the good bits and without having to answer to anyone.

Imagine buying something for over £200M, becoming the majority shareholder and then contractually obligating yourself to keep the executive employees in place with no power to remove them if they start messing your investment up. It does not seem like a wise business decision by Gao, to me.

West Ham after an experienced Director of Football. Les must have been saving up all those amazing transfer prospects and top European coach lists for them.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/west-ham-to-appoint-a-director-of-football-as-david-sullivan-takes-a-step-back-from-transfer-a3788646.html

I wonder....

West Ham have broken their transfer record in the last two summers, spending £20m on André Ayew and £24m on Arnautovic, but their squad has holes and Sullivan is thinking about hiring a director of football. After all, someone performing that role could have challenged Bilic’s training methods at an early stage. “There’s one very good one in the Premier League,” he says. “I would seriously think about taking him on in due course and I know he would come because he’s approached me.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/08/david-sullivan-west-ham-worked-my-socks-off-not-good-enough

I wonder....

West Ham have broken their transfer record in the last two summers, spending £20m on André Ayew and £24m on Arnautovic, but their squad has holes and Sullivan is thinking about hiring a director of football. After all, someone performing that role could have challenged Bilic’s training methods at an early stage. “There’s one very good one in the Premier League,” he says. “I would seriously think about taking him on in due course and I know he would come because he’s approached me.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/08/david-sullivan-west-ham-worked-my-socks-off-not-good-enough

Yes, I wondered the same. There's probably a shelf life for the Director of Football role (for both parties) and a move for Les might suit both parties if Gao wants to re-structure here too, which would be understandable. I suspect a summer of re-structuring lies ahead regardless of what league we end up in.

Yes, I wondered the same. There's probably a shelf life for the Director of Football role (for both parties) and a move for Les might suit both parties if Gao wants to re-structure here too, which would be understandable. I suspect a summer of re-structuring lies ahead regardless of what league we end up in.

When you posted your link, I instantly remembered that Sullivan had boasted about a Director of Football wanting to join.

Crikey, it's going to be a summer of fun & games.

When you posted your link, I instantly remembered that Sullivan had boasted about a Director of Football wanting to join.

Crikey, it's going to be a summer of fun & games.

I bet that Ross “I turned down Glasgow Rangers when they offered me their DoF position” Wilson takes over if Les retires or if Les opts to move on from Saints to the dildo brothers.

It doesn’t say that all. You’re inferring far too much. Or maybe you just like the melodrama.

An alternative interpretation is that the takeover happened last summer: assurances were made then to keep personnel and processes in place. The assumption, of course, was why mess with success. It doesn’t mean that things would remain the same should circumstances change -as they so disastrously have.

It doesn’t say that all. You’re inferring far too much. Or maybe you just like the melodrama.

An alternative interpretation is that the takeover happened last summer: assurances were made then to keep personnel and processes in place. The assumption, of course, was why mess with success. It doesn’t mean that things would remain the same should circumstances change -as they so disastrously have.

Pretty much. I think at the time of the takeover this was actually seen as a 'positive'. People were fearing someone new would come in and break everything up, but people were pleased that Kat retained 20% and everything else would stay 'as is'. Obviously no one could envisage how this season was going to pan out, but like you said it's way too dramatic to infer that Gao is tied to some sort of contract which means he can never rearrange the board room.

Pretty much. I think at the time of the takeover this was actually seen as a 'positive'. People were fearing someone new would come in and break everything up, but people were pleased that Kat retained 20% and everything else would stay 'as is'. Obviously no one could envisage how this season was going to pan out, but like you said it's way too dramatic to infer that Gao is tied to some sort of contract which means he can never rearrange the board room.

Exactly.

It's fairly standard practice in mergers and acquisitions that management teams are contracted to stay in place, normally for a minimum period and then all parties are free to make changes.....

Not melodramatic at all, just a plain reading of the words on the page, which reads “As part of that deal, they promised to keep the existing executive team in place.”

Of course, I expect that this aspect of the deal has a time limit on it, giving the owner time to get up to speed before making any changes he deems necessary.

I imagine they were looking to prevent a repeat of something like the Venky’s situation in Blackburn.

I can’t see how that aspect of the deal (a promise to keep the executive team in place, presumably for a defined period of time) is enforceable unless it was worded into the agreement to purchase and became a time-limited contractual obligation rather than a mere promise or goodwill gesture.

There again, as a public employee I would certainly not describe myself as an expert on corporations, contracts or big-money business transactions.

Les Reed and WHU sounds like a dream partnership.

Sadly however even WHU would not want this clueless ****.

In the world outside of Saints forums I think Reed still enjoys a reasonable reputation as a DOF.

Charlton Athletic aside that is.

What if this appointment works out, what if we finish 15th or god forbid stay up and reach the cup final. People with a decent track record who then rectify the big mistake they made, don’t deserve the sack imo. Appointing the wrong manager can’t be a sacking offence, it happens all the time. Bucking the trend and trying to stand by your manager shouldn’t be. Getting relegated is, but a near miss that you’ve rectified by a decent appointment????????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What if this appointment works out, what if we finish 15th or god forbid stay up and reach the cup final. People with a decent track record who then rectify the big mistake they made, don’t deserve the sack imo. Appointing the wrong manager can’t be a sacking offence, it happens all the time. Bucking the trend and trying to stand by your manager shouldn’t be. Getting relegated is, but a near miss that you’ve rectified by a decent appointment????????

Couldn't have put it better than Les himself.

I was going to start a new thread on this subject but this says it all, after seeing on Sky TV and BBC South that SFC management weren't going to make any comment. Reed and Kreuger MIA yet again. When I think back to the numerous times those idiots have pushed their glossy agenda with fatuous interviews, making meaningless comments full of buzz, it made me cringe.

Always ready to duck when the bullets are flying, they need to man up and talk to the supporters not hide behind the PR.

agreed spineless and shows what they think of their customers, of course now were in the mess they want us to be fans again

Les Reed and WHU sounds like a dream partnership.

Sadly however even WHU would not want this clueless ****.

There was a thread on a West Ham messageboard earlier in the season saying that a certain DOF had let them know he was available but obviously they didn't want him. Who would? So, we are still stuck with him.

In the world outside of Saints forums I think Reed still enjoys a reasonable reputation as a DOF.

Charlton Athletic aside that is.

Even on this forum there are those (me for one) who are grateful for the period of amazing success which he presided over. We seem to forget success quickly and malign the people (NC) who broughtr it. Very strange sort of 'support'

Depends if you keep telling lies to us about selling players Les !?

Les and West Ham are made for each other.

I hope he *****'s off before he runs us further into the ground.

He might do alright with someone breathing down his neck, but he has far too much power and a far too big ego.

Les leaving will be the best thing that could ever happen to us.

I would moan that he should have done it after the Leicester game and we might have qualified for Europe again :-)

• 3 weeks later...