Les Reed

Heisenberg

Les Reed - In or Out?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Les Reed - In or Out?

I don't know if Les needs to call it a day, but something needs to change.

There's a stench of decline right across the club: the first team has gone markedly backwards, the U23s have been relegated, the younger age groups aren't producing or developing any players that international youth set ups are interested in.

Where are we going?

Not really. Think where we were 10 years ago when the U23's were being recruited. Hardly a major attraction for youngsters or their parents. We will see significant strides over the coming years to match our rise through the leagues. Every club is a selling club. Even Leicester struggles to hold on to their better players when they won the league. Unless we can match the Liverpools and Man Utds on salary, there is always going to be an exodus. Nothing has changed there in the last 30 years. Unlike to change in the next 30. The key is making enough money through buying cheap and selling high to constantly rejuvenate the squad and developing 'free' talent through the academy. Even though U23s got relegated that was down more to first teamers getting match practice (and not giving 100% to avoid injury) and not to the likes of Stephens, Reed, Targett, Olamola, Slattery et al.

Give me VVD instead of Lovren any day. Cedric will generally out perform Clyne. Bertrand will definitely out perform Shaw. Romeu is arguably a step up on Big Vic. The others are more debatable but overall we're surviving (and progressing) pretty well.

I'll grant you that the performances were not as entertaining this year but to say we have gone markedly backwards after achieving 3 successful top ten finishes for the first time in 132 years of the clubs history is perhaps not fully appreciating where we are. I have no doubt that will improve next season - either with a new manager and mainly the existing squad or with Puel getting rid of the disruptive players and getting personnel in that believe in him.

I think if we sell VVD and don't manage to get near the top 6 again next season, both in games and in the league. Then frankly, Les Reed's position should be in serious jeopardy. Its not acceptable to strip the first team of star players and fan favourites every year purely to make dosh and weaken the team. And if he does it again, and fails again, it won't be the manager getting booed at every home game..

I think if we sell VVD and don't manage to get near the top 6 again next season, both in games and in the league. Then frankly, Les Reed's position should be in serious jeopardy. Its not acceptable to strip the first team of star players and fan favourites every year purely to make dosh and weaken the team. And if he does it again, and fails again, it won't be the manager getting booed at every home game..

I love Saints as much as the next man, but please can we get some perspective here....

- Firstly, of course VVD would want to leave for a club that are far bigger than us, will triple his wages and offer him CL football. He is not a Hampshire boy, he's been here 5 minutes.

- VVD probably does love it here at Saints, but its impossible to turn down such a great opportunity, so it saddens me to say it, but I do understand his motives.

- How is this Les Reed's fault? I am sure he rates VVD as much as we do and would love for him to stay, but if the player wants to go we all know how this ends.

- And if it is a financial decision solely (and nothing to do with VVD's head being turned) then those decisions sit with Kat, the CFO, potential new investors, etc.

Football is sadly not as it was 10-20 years ago, when Le Tiss says he turned down the big boys as they were only offering £200 a week more than he got at Saints. He admits himself that the story would probably be different between him and Saints in the modern era.

I'd be gutted to see VVD go as I think he is genuinely 'world class', I'd be even more gutted if its to Liverpool (as I despise the club and their deluded fans) but lets not throw all the blame at Les Reed! He just seems an easy target to vent our anger at, when the reality is that he probably wants him here a lot more than the money men/women at the club....

And im sorry but no Director of Football (or whatever Les is) in the world could keep a player of that class with those ambitions at a club like Saints for the long term. Its always going to be inevitable and a matter of 'when' they leave, with every superstar we grow/develop (unless we get investment the size of Man City one day).

I love Saints as much as the next man, but please can we get some perspective here....

- Firstly, of course VVD would want to leave for a club that are far bigger than us, will triple his wages and offer him CL football. He is not a Hampshire boy, he's been here 5 minutes.

- VVD probably does love it here at Saints, but its impossible to turn down such a great opportunity, so it saddens me to say it, but I do understand his motives.

- How is this Les Reed's fault? I am sure he rates VVD as much as we do and would love for him to stay, but if the player wants to go we all know how this ends.

- And if it is a financial decision solely (and nothing to do with VVD's head being turned) then those decisions sit with Kat, the CFO, potential new investors, etc.

Football is sadly not as it was 10-20 years ago, when Le Tiss says he turned down the big boys as they were only offering £200 a week more than he got at Saints. He admits himself that the story would probably be different between him and Saints in the modern era.

I'd be gutted to see VVD go as I think he is genuinely 'world class', I'd be even more gutted if its to Liverpool (as I despise the club and their deluded fans) but lets not throw all the blame at Les Reed! He just seems an easy target to vent our anger at, when the reality is that he probably wants him here a lot more than the money men/women at the club....

With a post count of 205, you are absolutely wasted on this board mate. Couldn't agree more with you in everything that you have said - great post.

I think you need to re-read what I put. If we sell, and fail to strengthen (again), then he has failed at his job (again). Why should he get to outlast the managers he lets down? Les' track record isn't very impressive tbh. He lost the best manager in the league with Poch, got very lucky with (and then fell out with) Koeman. And since then has signed very underwhelming players to replace star players.

My view is that if he refuses to alter his tactics/approach, and fails again, then something is seriously wrong and his position should be reviewed.

I didn't call for him to be sacked atm, i said he has the summer to show what he is worth. And it will be the fans that make it clear, there are already widespread mutterings about Les Reed after this season. Imagine if he performs the same failed tricks this summer and next year.

Also, where do you see me saying I expect VVD to stay at Saints... Please read. Its nothing to do with VVD. Its about our ability to improve. Our best players of recent seasons have been Mane, VVD, Tadic and Toby. All Koeman signings.

Edited by Saint86

I think you need to re-read what I put. If we sell, and fail to strengthen (again), then he has failed at his job (again). Why should he get to outlast the managers he lets down? Les' track record isn't very impressive tbh. He lost the best manager in the league with Poch, got very lucky with (and then fell out with) Koeman. And since then has signed very underwhelming players to replace star players.

My view is that if he refuses to alter his tactics/approach, and fails again, then something is seriously wrong and his position should be reviewed.

I didn't call for him to be sacked atm, i said he has the summer to show what he is worth. And it will be the fans that make it clear, there are already widespread mutterings about Les Reed after this season. Imagine if he performs the same failed tricks this summer and next year.

Also, where do you see me saying I expect VVD to stay at Saints... Please read. Its nothing to do with VVD. Its about our ability to improve. Our best players of recent seasons have been Mane, VVD, Tadic and Toby. All Koeman signings.

Sorry I wasn't directing that solely at you, yours was just the most recent post to quote :)

However....

- You seem to think Les holds all of the power and thats simply not true. The owners/financial board decide what bids to accept (with some input from Les).

- You say he lost the best manager in the league in Poch!? Again, how was that his fault? Im sorry, but look at Spurs now... Poch knew that the opportunity was bigger there and resigned from the club.

- He got lucky with Koeman!? Did he really? Looks a shrewd appointment to me and a great judgement that he would fit well with Saints, as he hadnt been great in his last role. And FWIW I know of a few senior members of staff at the club who have all told me that Koeman fell out with most at the club.

- You didnt say you 'expected' him to stay, but you clearly think VVD 'should' be staying and that Les is just "stripping the first team of star players and fan favourites every year purely to make dosh and weaken the team" - otherwise what exactly are you blaming Les for?

The point Im trying to make is that the club is a lot bigger than Les Reed, there are people higher up the food chain who make the big financial decisions, trust me. The club are able to attract players of this calibre and potential, because we do allow them to use us as a stepping stone. Its a win-win as we get to use these great talents, get unbelievable league finishes (6th, 7th & 8th is superb for a club as small as us) and also reap the financial benefits when they move on. Its a bit cr*p I know, as we keep seeing our favourite players leave, but I cant see it changing. Spain have it with their Top 2 and we have it with our Top 6 or 7 - there is a pecking order.

P.S I have a Mrs and kids at home, so I have no need to come here for an argument. I just wanted to point out that this is not Les Reed's fault, as easy as it his to blame him.

Getting rid of Reed, this window, would be absolutely ridiculous.

Like it or not, it's going to be another summer of uncertainty. We are going to sack our manager and lose a number of first team players.

IMO, Les hasn't made many wrong decisions and we will need his experience over the coming months.

I've no doubt that Les at times can only be out for himself, however I've generally not heard a bad word said about Reed (from someone who works within the club). Of course at times he's fallen out with certain players (some with egos far bigger than they deserve), but all in all, I get the impression he is pretty well liked.

Heisey don't you start this thread every Jan transfer and roll it in into the summer?

Out of everyone in our club i really dont see the guy who has put the systems into place and help take us from L1 to Prem and cup final as our most pressing problem, replacing him would be.

Heisey don't you start this thread every Jan transfer and roll it in into the summer?

Out of everyone in our club i really dont see the guy who has put the systems into place and help take us from L1 to Prem and cup final as our most pressing problem, replacing him would be.

That's a very glowing tribute to Uncle Les - has he promised you Ziyech for Xmas or something?

That's a very glowing tribute to Uncle Les - has he promised you Ziyech for Xmas or something?

Ha no by the end of the summer now Bosz has left Ajax hahhaha

nah I just think we have enough moving parts at the moment (takeover, players potentially moving, manager etc) and sacking a dude who has for all intents performed his role very as per his mandate from the owner (assumption owner is happy as he has been promoted and kept his job) for the last 5yrs could cause a big issue short and long term for us.

Edited by Convict Colony
spelling

Sorry but every summer is a complete and utter car crash.

This summer our best player is talking to everyone but you and probably so is our international full back and to cap it all our Manager is splashed all over the press as maybe sacked but maybe not....

Every year it's the same. Things happen around you and you are evidently not in control of situations.

Why is that Les?

Why are you a victim ?

Why do our best players and Managers not want to stay ?

Why is there an accelerating uncontrolled mess every summer in your department?

You are not progressing the club, you are not leading well and with organised authority.

We have a good infrastructure which you do not enhance but Flaff around and looking important doing very little far too late every year. It's tiresome now....

Maybe you should leave !

Our history with Liverpool along with our current stance all laid out in the Ugly :

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/45806/

I read this and I am impressed with the content there, and how we are going to stand firm against Klopp tapping up VVD.

I was also impressed that I could get two free £10 bets by opening a new account at William Hill. Perhaps one would be for VVD NOT to join Liverpool.:lol:;)

This summer our best player is talking to everyone but you and probably so is our international full back and to cap it all our Manager is splashed all over the press as maybe sacked but maybe not....

Every year it's the same. Things happen around you and you are evidently not in control of situations.

Why is that Les?

Why are you a victim ?

You are not progressing the club, you are not leading well and with organised authority.

We have a good infrastructure which you do not enhance but Flaff around and looking important doing very little far too late every year. It's tiresome now....

Maybe you should leave !

:lol:

Maybe you should buy some Kleenex (other makes of tissue are available)

Why is that Les?

Why are you a victim ?

Maybe you should leave !

Hard to disagree...

I am feeling faint here! Someone has finally got the message about Mein Furher Reed. He IS the probs. Sell good, buy rubbish. Appoint Manager and get rid after one season. How can he possibly be good at his job? HE appointed a manager that he now doesn't think is very good. His method of selecting HAS to be called into question. Saints Store should be selling "Blinker removers" for £1.

Why is that Les?

Why are you a victim ?

Maybe you should leave !

I am feeling faint here! Someone has finally got the message about Mein Furher Reed. He IS the probs. Sell good, buy rubbish. Appoint Manager and get rid after one season. How can he possibly be good at his job? HE appointed a manager that he now doesn't think is very good. His method of selecting HAS to be called into question. Saints Store should be selling "Blinker removers" for £1.

Wow. A post not slagging off Ward-Prowse - are you feeling ok?

Why is that Les?

Why are you a victim ?

Maybe you should leave !

If he fails again this summer then his position seriously needs to be looked at. He lost Poch, got very lucky with koeman (who got us Mane, Toby, VVD, Pelle, Tadic), then fell out with Koeman, lost toby from under his nose.... and then we had last summer's car crash.

This summer needs to be his last throw of the dice with this tactic of selling. And if he fluffs it again then its time to move him along to the retirement home and get in someone capable.

Edited by Saint86

How can he buy rubbish if he sells good.... or was Mane,VVD, rubbish buys then? ..... your rant has gone a bit silly

If he fails again this summer then his position seriously needs to be looked at. He lost Poch, got very lucky with koeman (who got us Mane, Toby, VVD, Pelle, Tadic), then fell out with Koeman, lost toby from under his nose.... and then we had last summer's car crash.

This summer needs to be his last throw of the dice with this tactic of selling. And if he fluffs it again then its time to move him along to the retirement home and get in someone capable.

Can I just ask, during our 6 - 7 year rise through the leagues, where he has been a constant, do you think that he's done anything right, anything at all....?

Ok I am KL.

I am going to sack Les tomorrow morning.

Who do we get to replace him ? names please.

Sometimes everyone is quick to want action without thinking through the solution.

Gary Monk, surely, it's a no brainer.....

Les is the one stable unchanging figure in our rise from bottom of Lg1 to top half of the Premier Lg during which we have seen wonderful players and had wonderful managers. Who could foresee such success ten years ago? Carry on Uncle Les please, see us through this difficult patch too

Les is the one stable unchanging figure in our rise from bottom of Lg1 to top half of the Premier Lg during which we have seen wonderful players and had wonderful managers. Who could foresee such success ten years ago? Carry on Uncle Les please, see us through this difficult patch too

which probably explains why they all left.

Ok I am KL.

I am going to sack Les tomorrow morning.

Who do we get to replace him ? names please.

Sometimes everyone is quick to want action without thinking through the solution.

The man who found all our best players and managers, before like everyone else, falling out with Les Reed and going to Spurs - our former head of recruitment, Paul Black Box Mitchell. Since he left our recruitment has gone downhill. At 35, he's got a future unlike 65-year-old Les Reed.

The man who found all our best players and managers, before like everyone else, falling out with Les Reed and going to Spurs - our former head of recruitment, Paul Black Box Mitchell. Since he left our recruitment has gone downhill. At 35, he's got a future unlike 65-year-old Les Reed.

Les Reed joined us in 2010 - Paul Mitchell recruited from MK Dons 2012.

Paul Mitchell also left Spurs, maybe Paul is the problem ?

Edited by Convict Colony

Why should he get to outlast the managers he lets down? Les' track record isn't very impressive tbh. .

Isn't that impressive - Are you taking the p!ss?

Probably one of the most successful " Director Of Football" Cv's in the world for a club of our size.

Says it all doesn't it...

I don't think it says very much at all, as far as I can be arsed to trawl through roughly 5 serial troll posters were advocating he be sacked , followed alternately by a different 5 who love to perpetuate the trolling by taking the opposite view.

All it says really is what a **** thread it is.