Les Reed

Heisenberg

Les Reed - In or Out?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Les Reed - In or Out?

Still nothing really backing it up. You are assuming that during the years we were successful, Les Reed sat in a chair and twiddled his thumbs. Do you really believe that? It's a little dim to believe that NC did all this work, Les Reed would have had significant input in Staplewood, the development of the training facilities and was part of the scouting team who got us out of our difficult situation 3 summers ago

I smell a bit of sarcasm in your post, where you're seemingly taking the **** out of the fee's we received for RL/CC/DL etc. Really? In what way was £16m not an utterly extraordinary fee for a player who has gone onto to do zilch? In what way was £5m-9m for Lambert not a terrific deal? Mane, Lallana, Lovren - all in excess of £20m, Mane closer to £40m. What was wrong with those negotiation skills? You have to realise that football has moved forward in terms of transfer frees over the last 2 windows, but the summer in which we received the fee's we did - in that current climate, they were top level fee's. There's no point comparing them to what clubs pay for players now, the goal posts changed.

The black box is overcooked on here, and by the club to a degree. The manager will make recommendations, the club will look at all the information they have on those players and put together a formed opinion on who is right and who isn't, it's not just down the manager.

It just seems to me as if people are just looking for someone to blame, looking for someone to attack. Not entirely sure why. You cannot just airbrush the good times and say he wasn't involved, and then all of a sudden when it becomes bad he is involved. It feels like he's slept with some of your wives given the amount of stick he gets.

That is exactly what this board did as soon as NC went though. Airbrushing and blame. And £16m for a young english fullback who kept Clyne out of the team and who we had zero need to sell. And £16m for Oxlade (a player with 3months experience in the 3rd tier). Both have gone on to do similar in my opinion. In my opinion, he is very very quick to take credit for others work where he can, and very quick to blame others when its convenient.

Every summer, new people give him the benefit of the doubt, "one more window" etc etc... But I honestly think he has run out of ideas and is struggling just to stay afloat (why the hell was Forster given a year extension, why are we repeatedly not signing first team players whilst selling them?!?)

He inherited momentum and young talented team and none of that now remains in place.

I think every window more and more fans see through this facade. This window has to be his final chance to get it right. We can't afford another step back.

Still nothing really backing it up. You are assuming that during the years we were successful, Les Reed sat in a chair and twiddled his thumbs. Do you really believe that? It's a little dim to believe that NC did all this work, Les Reed would have had significant input in Staplewood, the development of the training facilities and was part of the scouting team who got us out of our difficult situation 3 summers ago

I smell a bit of sarcasm in your post, where you're seemingly taking the **** out of the fee's we received for RL/CC/DL etc. Really? In what way was £16m not an utterly extraordinary fee for a player who has gone onto to do zilch? In what way was £5m-9m for Lambert not a terrific deal? Mane, Lallana, Lovren - all in excess of £20m, Mane closer to £40m. What was wrong with those negotiation skills? You have to realise that football has moved forward in terms of transfer frees over the last 2 windows, but the summer in which we received the fee's we did - in that current climate, they were top level fee's. There's no point comparing them to what clubs pay for players now, the goal posts changed.

The black box is overcooked on here, and by the club to a degree. The manager will make recommendations, the club will look at all the information they have on those players and put together a formed opinion on who is right and who isn't, it's not just down the manager.

It just seems to me as if people are just looking for someone to blame, looking for someone to attack. Not entirely sure why. You cannot just airbrush the good times and say he wasn't involved, and then all of a sudden when it becomes bad he is involved. It feels like he's slept with some of your wives given the amount of stick he gets.

The reason its verlooked s that it no longer functions here since Paul Mitchell went to Spurs. We got the last of Mitchell's Black Box signings in the months after he left. since then, we've relied on Empty Box Ross Wilson and Old Les to find players like Boufal, Hojbjerg and Bendarek.

The reason its verlooked s that it no longer functions here since Paul Mitchell went to Spurs. We got the last of Mitchell's Black Box signings in the months after he left. since then, we've relied on Empty Box Ross Wilson and Old Les to find players like Boufal, Hojbjerg and Bendarek.

If only Saints had realised that the black box was actually single-handed recruiting genius Paul Mitchell then they could have saved some of the 40 million they spent on Staplewood.

Silly old Saints !!!!

If only Saints had realised that the black box was actually single-handed recruiting genius Paul Mitchell then they could have saved some of the 40 million they spent on Staplewood.

Silly old Saints !!!!

Don't talk ****e - They didn't spend £40m on the black box, did they. In reality, the 'black box' is just a room with 3 chairs, a big screen and a computer data base (some of which is Football manager stats). In all in all, probably at a cost of a couple of grand and i'm pretty sure every top level club in world has something similar.

The black box and only function as well as it's user. And currently, our user (Ross Wilson) isn't as good as it's previous user.

Is it any surprise that Tottenham's transfer record since Mitchell joint them has significantly improved? Mitchell is very very good at his job and was a massive loss to us.

For me, Mitchell would be a great replacement for Les as and when he retires. It'd save money on Ross Wilson's salary as well.

How did the genius Mitchell get on at Spurs?

Les Reed has done exactly what he's been paid to do and has been an important cog since the takeover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? :mcinnes: :lol:

Dele Alli, Wanyama, Alderweireld, Son and Trippier to name a few.

Edited by SKD

Is it any surprise that Tottenham's transfer record since Mitchell joint them has significantly improved? Mitchell is very very good at his job and was a massive loss to us.

Has it really? They've wasted a fair bit of $$ on crap.

Jansen, Georges-Kévin N'Koudou, Clinton Njie (who has since been sold), Sissoko, Fazio (who has since been sold), Pau Lopez (left), Wimmer (they want rid), Yedlin (since sold), Stambouli (since sold)

They have aquired 5 players out of the 17/18 they signed in that period who I consider first teamers and who have improved them since Mitchell has been there. Son, Toby, Victor, Dier and Ali. (Dier and Ali may have arrived before Mitchell had got there)

So really, they have signed as many duds as other clubs in this league.

But the black box is nothing more than a glorified database locked away in a room, we've spent a lot of time putting a lot of data into it i would imagine - so we possibly have the advantage over a few clubs in knowing more about a player before we sign them, but at the end of the day you can have all that kit and stats knowledge, but if the money isn't there to buy the players then it's a mute point.

Edited by S-Clarke

• 4 weeks later...
Shouldnt take 15 months for the blindingly obvious to happen though should it.

Can only assume the black box told them more about the potential of Redmond and Boufal?

For all Reeds faults and I've not been his biggest fan - he will go along way to repair trust and support if he delivers on his promise (to not sell VVD) and buys that elusive AM we've needed.

We could then have a great squad capable of actually winning something

All the evidence you need of Reed's involvement in the coaching set up can be seen in our goal kick routines from L1 and Championship seasons, lifted straight from this document: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Guide-Basic-Team-Coaching/dp/0340816007

Is it only me that thinks this thread is an insult to a man who has made such a major contribution to the resurrection of our club from a very low base 8 years ago ??

:mcinnes:

No, there are plenty of people who can see past the tedious rubbish being spouted by the usual suspects.

Has it really? They've wasted a fair bit of $$ on crap.

Jansen, Georges-Kévin N'Koudou, Clinton Njie (who has since been sold), Sissoko, Fazio (who has since been sold), Pau Lopez (left), Wimmer (they want rid), Yedlin (since sold), Stambouli (since sold)

They have aquired 5 players out of the 17/18 they signed in that period who I consider first teamers and who have improved them since Mitchell has been there. Son, Toby, Victor, Dier and Ali. (Dier and Ali may have arrived before Mitchell had got there)

So really, they have signed as many duds as other clubs in this league.

But the black box is nothing more than a glorified database locked away in a room, we've spent a lot of time putting a lot of data into it i would imagine - so we possibly have the advantage over a few clubs in knowing more about a player before we sign them, but at the end of the day you can have all that kit and stats knowledge, but if the money isn't there to buy the players then it's a mute point.

Worth pointing out that Mitchell would have known about Wanyama and Alderweireld from being at Saints anyway, so arguably it's only 3. And Trippier has only started 13 games for them in 2 years, so that just leaves Son and Alli.

Can only assume the black box told them more about the potential of Redmond and Boufal?

For all Reeds faults and I've not been his biggest fan - he will go along way to repair trust and support if he delivers on his promise (to not sell VVD) and buys that elusive AM we've needed.

We could then have a great squad capable of actually winning something

Would that mean that you fook off for good?

Is it only me that thinks this thread is an insult to a man who has made such a major contribution to the resurrection of our club from a very low base 8 years ago ??

:mcinnes:

I come on the forum for news mainly but I find myself reading nonsense like this thread. As far as I can see, it's the same small group of people who get a kick out of being perpetually unhappy with some aspect of the club's behaviour. We all disagree with some things (for example, selection of team, bloody awful food, worse beer and so on) but this group will find something to whinge about in any situation.

Just remind yourself that they are a tiny (if tediously persistent) part of a tiny forum. No, you are not alone.

This forum doesn't know when it is well off. Mane and Wanyama used to get slated mercilessly. No surprise Cortese got same treatment and so its natural Les Reed gets it too

You must have missed the forum bylaws: you're not allowed to like both Cortese and Reed. That's a very serious transgression for some on here.

This forum doesn't know when it is well off. Mane and Wanyama used to get slated mercilessly. No surprise Cortese got same treatment and so its natural Les Reed gets it too
Absolute horse sh*t. Mane was roundly praised and recognised as the quality player he was. He was sagged off in the first few games by about two people.

Exactly this! And dont forget how cr@p Graziano Pelle and his goals were too...

Absolute horse sh*t. Mane was roundly praised and recognised as the quality player he was. He was sagged off in the first few games by about two people.

Not really, he got plenty of criticism on here during his last season up until his performance against Liverpool. I was one of the ones defending him.

Not really, he got plenty of criticism on here during his last season up until his performance against Liverpool. I was one of the ones defending him.

people call it as they see it. Sometimes they call it when they are bad and praise when they are good

He was absolutely gash to begin with. And was called out for it by many at the time. The quality only became clear once he stopped falling over his own feet.

Mane was pretty average when he started at Saints , barn door and banjo were his watch words . He developed into a good player and all was OK until the exodus of players to of all places L pool. He and Wanyama in their final seasons played in fits and starts , they seemed to play well in big matches against potential new employers and were lacklusture or damed awkward in run of the mill matches .

Yes good players who did well for Saints but completely unprofesional about leaving Saints . Mane excellent on his day and Wanyama who was a brutal defender but couldn't pass more than 10 yards without overhitting it !

I was at the liverpool games listening to people behind me criticising him and saying he should be subbed. Very funny how quickly they changed their tune after he turned that game on its head

Mane was pretty average when he started at Saints , barn door and banjo were his watch words . He developed into a good player and all was OK until the exodus of players to of all places L pool. He and Wanyama in their final seasons played in fits and starts , they seemed to play well in big matches against potential new employers and were lacklusture or damed awkward in run of the mill matches .

Yes good players who did well for Saints but completely unprofesional about leaving Saints . Mane excellent on his day and Wanyama who was a brutal defender but couldn't pass more than 10 yards without overhitting it !

This is a mess.

Mané started off brightly with goals and assists against Arsenal, QPR and Stoke and should have added to them against Hull, Spurs etc. He had a poor November and early December as the rest of the side struggled, though often looked our most dangerous player. He then went on a tear during the Xmas period which was the foundation for a very good second half of the season.

We didn't have an exodus of players the following summer -only Clyne went to Liverpool. In his second season, Mané had an inconsistent start (as did the rest of the team as we had a Europa hangover); but was often the best player on the pitch (e.g. Chelsea away). He was absolutely integral to our unbeaten run in the last two months which saw us qualify for the Europa group stages. Even when he wasn't scoring, he was contributing- doubtful Shane Long's record goal haul would have happened without Mané's pace and movement.

Edited by shurlock

He was absolutely gash to begin with. And was called out for it by many at the time. The quality only became clear once he stopped falling over his own feet.
OK you're one of the few fools who called him gash. He was never gash, he always had the quality and x factor that we currently lack.

Criticism for a performance does not equal sagging him off or collating him gash. It's a saintsweb myth that he was roundly written off and called terrible by hoards of supporters when the reality was that a couple of reactionaries thought he was poor and the majority could see what a good player he was albeit a bit raw.

This is a mess.

Mané started off brightly with goals and assists against Arsenal, QPR and Stoke and should have added to them against Hull, Spurs etc. He had a poor November and early December as the rest of the side struggled, though often looked our most dangerous player. He then had an excellent Xmas period which was the foundation for a very good second half of the season.

We didn't have an exodus of players the following summer -only Clyne went to Liverpool. In his second season, Mané had an inconsistent start (as did the rest of the team as we had a Europa hangover). Still he was absolutely integral to our unbeaten run in the last two months which saw us qualify for the Europa group stages. Even when he wasn't scoring, he was contributing- doubtful Shane Long's record goal haul would have happened without his pace and movement.

Absolutely this. This was the opinion of the vast majority of saints fans.

Mane won us the penalty against Arsenal on his debut, he was pretty good that day. As with all new players coming into English football, he suffered ups and downs - some quite glaring downs, but he was always the sort of player who could produce the unexpected. There was a poster on here in the December who claimed he was the worst player since Ali Dia. He seemingly wasn't alone in that view either. Surprisingly, once Mane then went on to score the quickest ever hat trick he went silent and hasn't been seen since.

Mane was never gash, just had the typical ups and downs of form players of that type will have. He is still hugely missed.

A MASSIVE couple of days for Leslie. Keep VVD (and get him playing again) + add that AM weve needed for 15 months and I will be delighted.

Should Les cave in and sell VVD to Liverpool today he will receive massive condemnation and outrage from all Saints fans, like never before.

DON'T SELL TO LIVERPOOL.

Why is everyone fixated with Les Reed? If we buy or sell a player the board have to sanction it. Yes, he is one of the key decision makers but he doesn't have ultimate control.

It's a bit like the Arsenal fans moaning at Wenger for not buying players - it's not his money that is being spent, it's the club's.

Why is everyone fixated with Les Reed? If we buy or sell a player the board have to sanction it. Yes, he is one of the key decision makers but he doesn't have ultimate control.

It's a bit like the Arsenal fans moaning at Wenger for not buying players - it's not his money that is being spent, it's the club's.

If there is one thing we have learnt on this forum during Les's time at the club, whatever has gone well has been inspite of him, whatever has gone badly is because of him.

What ever Les Reed does will be slated on this forum. The fact is that in his time we have gone from near bottom and bankruptcy top near top and affluence and I've seen the most cheering years since I started at the Dell post war. Why don't they stop moaning and give him a medal? Must be some very disturbed people on this site, hope their marriages are ok

Fair play to Les on this one.

We did need a more creative midfielder, the forward line is still an area of concern in terms of productivity and the academy is set for quite a few dry years, if not more, but to sign a couple of top players in Lemina and Hoedt and keep VVD is major progress on previous summers. Hopefully the tide has turned.

If there is one thing we have learnt on this forum during Les's time at the club, whatever has gone well has been inspite of him, whatever has gone badly is because of him.

This, he's part of a team that's done a great job in difficult circumstances over the last few years as we continually get used as a stepping stone by players. Kept us in the league and reasonably competitive

This is a mess.

Mané started off brightly with goals and assists against Arsenal, QPR and Stoke and should have added to them against Hull, Spurs etc. He had a poor November and early December as the rest of the side struggled, though often looked our most dangerous player. He then went on a tear during the Xmas period which was the foundation for a very good second half of the season.

We didn't have an exodus of players the following summer -only Clyne went to Liverpool. In his second season, Mané had an inconsistent start (as did the rest of the team as we had a Europa hangover); but was often the best player on the pitch (e.g. Chelsea away). He was absolutely integral to our unbeaten run in the last two months which saw us qualify for the Europa group stages. Even when he wasn't scoring, he was contributing- doubtful Shane Long's record goal haul would have happened without Mané's pace and movement.

I'd say there's no doubt about that. Long flourished with Mane next to him, and has gone downhill since he left.