Les Reed

Heisenberg

Les Reed - In or Out?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Les Reed - In or Out?

• 2 weeks later...
Okay. So Reed and the board are responsible for appointing a manager...you support?

They are responsible for the shockingly bad attacking options we have yes. MoPe is a decent manager (he isn't going to set the world alight for sure), but if the fans just turn on players / managers all the time then the same things will keep happening. I think the entire fanbase can see the issues lie with Tadic and Redmond as out two creative players. This is the fault of the board, and the board and these attacking midfield options are the common denominator between MoPe and Puel. In summary, the board have got us into this mess with a **** poor recruitment strategy. Again. It is the same crap every year of late and it needs to change. There is zero point attacking the manager when he doesn't have the tools to do better. And if you want to go down that line, its the boards fault for attacking a manager the fans don;t think is up to it. Again. Buck starts and stops at the top i'm afraid.

Edited by Saint86

Obviously don't want to get rid of Reed, but our recent transfer activity has been poor.

I'd love to know what money was available and what decisions were made last few windows.

I started a thread about this a couple months ago. We made a bunch of young signings, bloated the squad with "depth" and gave them all super long contracts with a view to stop selling and build stability. Only problem is we decided to do this when our squads the weakest its been since promotion rather than 2/3 years ago when we were full of stars that got poached to bigger clubs.

We have so much money sitting on the bench in Gabbi, Boufal, Hojbjerg, Hoedt. So many young players that get barely any game time. The board massively screwed up. We desperately need quality over quantity.

Puel was a good manager. A champions league semi finalist and managed some good teams. I used to watch that Lyon side play some exciting counter attacking football. It didn't matter if we replaced him with Pellegrino or Guardiola or Zidane, any manager would have an impossible time meeting the fans expectations with our midfield and attack.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Momentum curve made Reed look the "bestest" for a short while, but he's been on his own for a while now and showing exactly why he's been in football 50+ years and won absolutely nothing.

His level.... assistant manager on a voluntary basis at Bishop's Stortford FC in the Conference South.

Keep Reed and the decline will continue

Reed is 65 this year. His decision making in the last year has been disastrous for the club. Time for him to go. We need our head of recruitment, Paul Mitchell back and someone who is 100% honest and trustworthy, who doesn't have personality clashes and power struggles with all of our top players and managers, possibly Le Tissier?

In football, as in all walks of life, employes peak and then they pass their best and usually retire at the age of 65. Although a few on here think he is a god, Les Reed is just an ordinary mortal. His decison malking continues to deteriorate and and he has reached retirement age. It's time for someone with a future, like Paul Mitchell, to take over.

In football, as in all walks of life, employes peak and then they pass their best and usually retire at the age of 65. Although a few on here think he is a god, Les Reed is just an ordinary mortal. His decison malking continues to deteriorate and and he has reached retirement age. It's time for someone with a future, like Paul Mitchell, to take over.

Isn't this what we brought Ross Wilson in for though ? Although I'm not aware of any track record at Huddersfield to set him out as an outstanding candidate. Mitchell does at least have something on the CV.

As a further thought though, who brought Mitchell to the club ? Reed perhaps? Credit where it is due.

Edited by Badger
Remembered Wilson's name

Momentum curve made Reed look the "bestest" for a short while, but he's been on his own for a while now and showing exactly why he's been in football 50+ years and won absolutely nothing.

His level.... assistant manager on a voluntary basis at Bishop's Stortford FC in the Conference South.

Keep Reed and the decline will continue

If we keep him until he's 70, there is a danger that we will turn into the next Bolton. From 2003 to 2007, under the direction of Phil Gartside, Bolton finished in the top 8 of the Premier League in 4 consecutive seasons, qualified for Europe and finished runners-up in a League Cup Final. All the while, Gartside became more powerful and stubborn, making nearly all decisions at the club. They then slid into the bottom half of the table, where they struggled for a few seasons before eventually getting relegated. For Phil Gartside read Les Reed.

"It is certainly starting to seem like a trick of the mind that Gartside was once regarded as one of the sport’s more impressive administrators, thought of so highly he was given a place on the Wembley board and put in charge of the FA’s selection process."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/oct/11/phil-gartside-bolton-wanderers-abyss

How old are you?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

What I really fail to understand is why we seem to have gone into this mode of only replacing like-for-like, and very slowly.

Lemina a year after Wanyama, Fonte and Van Dijk with Bednarek (god knows) and Hoedt at the 11th hour and six months late, Pelle with Gabbiadini again after half a season (plus injury) and all while keeping the same offensive options (nothing more than a gang of 4) for going on 3 seasons in a row.

This means we are not and cannot improve as a team. We have had an easy start and our current position is probably flattering, considering what we have played.

Someone ought to tell Pep.

The fundamental difference is that Man City actually pass it forwards, with accuracy, to their more clinical forwards. All we do is pass it backwards or sideways in front of the opposition which just creates slow, predictable and ultimately defendable build up. We keep possession for the sake of it, Man City actually make use of theirs.

rubbish. new owner new rules.

But, our ownership structure are not football people (Kat, Gao, Ralph). They are all from overseas with no experience of English football. Les appears to have convinced them he is 'the man' and they appear to leave football matters in his hands and have shown complete trust in him. Can't really see the joint owners sacking Les and they probably don't have an idea for a replacement anyway. Wonder if MLT would like a job?

Whilst we are far from perfect, something has to be said for having a clear structure at a club, a shared philosophy and a thought out recruitment process.

When you look at the mess clubs like Everton, West Ham, Stoke, Leicester, Crystal Palace (hell even Liverpool and Arsenal to an extent) etc. are in at the moment with their scatter gun recruitment policy, glaring holes in their squads, no clear identity, changing managers etc. then some credit must be given to Les Reed et al.

I mean sure we could get worse from here, and those clubs could improve but on current evidence I doubt it. We at least vaguely look like we know what we are doing and look like we have a plan, even if it's not being executed properly (though there are signs that maybe the manager is starting to get his message across).

I'm sure envious eyes were glanced towards Everton and their summer spending by many of our fans, but they are all over the place, I am pretty certain had Les Reed overseen that they'd be in a better position than they are now.

But, our ownership structure are not football people (Kat, Gao, Ralph). They are all from overseas with no experience of English football. Les appears to have convinced them he is 'the man' and they appear to leave football matters in his hands and have shown complete trust in him. Can't really see the joint owners sacking Les and they probably don't have an idea for a replacement anyway. Wonder if MLT would like a job?

Name me 5 better run professional football clubs in the top 4 divisions.

A league table of best run clubs would be different every season. This season, so far, I'd say these 5 would be above us:

Wolves, Man City, Tottenham, Watford, Burnley...

If we manage a 5th consecutive top 8 finish, youd have to say over that period we'd be one of the best; if we end up getting relegated, we wouldn't be. I'm not sure the club has been as well run this season and last as it was in the previous 3. We'll see. Football is a results driven game. The Boufal goal has certainly made us all feel more optimistic.

Someone says 'wonder if MLT would like the job? Thanks for the memories Matt but thhis would spoil it, genius on the field, bit of mug off it. We need more than the heart in the right place and present leadership has served us amazingly well over last few years.

Someone says 'wonder if MLT would like the job? Thanks for the memories Matt but thhis would spoil it, genius on the field, bit of mug off it. We need more than the heart in the right place and present leadership has served us amazingly well over last few years.

Absolutely not. However did notice MLT was at the game, seen him chewing the fat with Big Ralph

F**K this current crop of spineless players

**** Eric Black

**** Puel

**** Pellegrino

**** Wilson and his recruitment

**** Dave Watson and his GK coaching

This club is on a decline.

WE NEED TO cut off the head of the snake - LES REED needs to go!!!

:hunt: :hunt: :hunt:

Everything about the club at present looks like it is built in Les Reed's image. Les has been left in total charge of football matters and this is how we have ended up. But who will sack him and re-energise the club? This is on the edge of crisis now and we can only hope the Chinese will step in and take the sort of action that their 80% allows them to. Surely things can't keep drifting along as they are?

That would leave Wreck-it Ralph to appoint the next manager. From the NHL.

Cortese wasn't a football man.

Id have more faith in Ralph picking a manager over Reed.

Reed has ****ed us twice now and is driving this bus down a hill to nothing.

Reed needs to go. 55 years in the game and has won NOTHING.

Reed is one of lifes losers.... This club needs winners.

#WeMarchOn

You have to hope that somebody is at least asking Les what the hell is going on, and what it being done about it immediately. Players don’t look like they care, they don’t appear to be fit enough, we have signed a number of average players, the academy is not in great shape and so on. Les bangs on about his due dillience when it comes to signing players and managers but at the moment, all that looks like the absolute BS it is. The club has got complacent, believes its own hype and I doubt anyone ever can challenge Les. Maybe Chairman Gao might be asking some tough questions of the board.

The club was in its strongest ever position at the end of the 15/16 season and Les Reed allowed our manager, target man and best player to leave. Him and his transfer recruitment team then went and replaced them with cheap options, or in Pelle's case - not at all.

This time to go les.