Les Reed

Heisenberg

Les Reed - In or Out?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Les Reed - In or Out?

No disrespect mate but a couple of things.....

1) Don't use the word phony, please, I'm begging you.

2) having an opinion doesn't make you any less of a fan.

3) Just so you're aware, we're all scummers. Hence the nickname often used today 'scum army'. Portsmouth are called Skates.

On a serious note (not directly aimed at you) a fan like yourself is everything I hate about the PL. It seems we acquired a number of American fans with no affiliation to the club since coming back to the PL, I just pray the same doesn't happen in China. It almost feels like the real fans are forgotten about (pre seasons in USA & China) in order to gain support and revenue in the Far East or USA etc...

There's nothing I hate more than tourists with iPads, cameras and half and half scarfs at football.

May I humbly suggest you read up on the history of that terminology, whilst I appreciate that many other fans have started using it, in itself, it is a falsehood, started by those illiterate barstewards from Portsea island.

3) Just so you're aware, we're all scummers. Hence the nickname often used today 'scum army'. Portsmouth are called Skates.

On a serious note (not directly aimed at you) a fan like yourself is everything I hate about the PL. It seems we acquired a number of American fans with no affiliation to the club since coming back to the PL, I just pray the same doesn't happen in China. It almost feels like the real fans are forgotten about (pre seasons in USA & China) in order to gain support and revenue in the Far East or USA etc...

There's nothing I hate more than tourists with iPads, cameras and half and half scarfs at football.

Yeah, hate all these new fans coming in, buying merchandise, increasing the global reach of the club, increasing the finances, hate the lot of them. Leave us alone if you aren't from Southampton you hear! We don't want your money! We don't want to compete!

Honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are a phony real fan. A real real fan embraces our new friends from abroad, I'm proud that my club has been chosen by people across the world and become their club. And worrying about what Pompey are called is small time, when I was younger I knew them as scummers.

You are a phony real fan. A real real fan embraces our new friends from abroad, I'm proud that my club has been chosen by people across the world and become their club. And worrying about what Pompey are called is small time, when I was younger I knew them as scummers.

When I was nipper Pompey were always the scummers don't really know when it changed and we became scummers and they became skates though everyone excepts it now.

No respect mate but a couple of things (two).

Trolling is poor form.

Insulting and offensive trolling is p155 poor form.

There is nothing I hate more than the "I am a better supporter than you" mentality. I am a Londoner born and bred. I have never lived in Hampshire. I started supporting the Saints in 1966 and they have been my only club. These days I am mostly an armchair supporter. It doesn't make me any less passionate or committed to the club than someone who goes to every game. The same can be said for those who live overseas. What exactly is a "real fan?" There are many on here who would call themselves "real fans" but spend all their time slagging the club off or picking holes in everything they do. I think it is great that the club has a fanbase outside of Hampshire and outside of the country. Long may that continue and grow!

Is it just a British trait I wonder, but many seem to have a need to find fault with everything. I could understand it when we were on a downward trajectory, but we have had a wonderful 7 years, have a cup final to look forward to and are still mid table despite a poor run, so why the need to find blame and pillory people? It happened last year and the year before that too. Not always Reed. Kat Liebherr and Ralph Krueger have been slagged off too. The club has been very well run so what is the problem if Reed enjoys some of the plaudits? Surely that is better than people wanting to talk to him because we are rubbish and there are fan demonstrations every week? It must have been manna from heaven when, after signing a striker after being slagged off since last summer for not buying another one, that VVD got crocked and gave the moaners an opportunity to berate him over not signing a new CH. I guess if Caceres does sign and is a success, the pitchfork brigade will find another reason to attack Reed, or find another target at the club.

Your summary of our current predicament is written with a rosy slant to promote your own views. That's up to you but you are one poster I only scan read because I always know what you are going to say and you don't bother going to games. One day you will say something original I hope.

There is nothing I hate more than the "I am a better supporter than you" mentality. I am a Londoner born and bred. I have never lived in Hampshire. I started supporting the Saints in 1966 and they have been my only club. These days I am mostly an armchair supporter. It doesn't make me any less passionate or committed to the club than someone who goes to every game. The same can be said for those who live overseas. What exactly is a "real fan?" There are many on here who would call themselves "real fans" but spend all their time slagging the club off or picking holes in everything they do. I think it is great that the club has a fanbase outside of Hampshire and outside of the country. Long may that continue and grow!

A real fan, especially one who pontificates as much as you, should at least try and get to the odd game, especially as you don't live far away. Let's face it you can't be arsed and you know it.

Someone getting more bites than Glasgow. Never thought I'd see the day...

It was certainly said in jest as I found it funny that someone who has supported the club since a TV show on NBC can call someone who goes week in week out a 'phony' fan.

But my point about tourists with iPads, cameras and half and half scarfs does stand. I hate seeing the 'working class man' priced out of the game... Something to get used to I guess.

It was certainly said in jest as I found it funny that someone who has supported the club since a TV show on NBC can call someone who goes week in week out a 'phony' fan.

But my point about tourists with iPads, cameras and half and half scarfs does stand. I hate seeing the 'working class man' priced out of the game... Something to get used to I guess.

I've found that American 'soccer' fans are generally much more knowledgable and intelligent than the average British fan. You demonstrate that point rather well...

Also, as a 'tourist' who went to an MLS game, I was welcomed with open arms. As I would, and most Saints fans would do, to any tourists who want to come to SMS.

A real fan, especially one who pontificates as much as you, should at least try and get to the odd game, especially as you don't live far away. Let's face it you can't be arsed and you know it.
I find that a pretty poor and inconsiderate post Duncan. We dont know SOG's health or financial position. He may not be bothered but as far as Im concerned he is a good Saints fan as any on here, whether i agree with what he says always is another thing of course

Your summary of our current predicament is written with a rosy slant to promote your own views. That's up to you but you are one poster I only scan read because I always know what you are going to say and you don't bother going to games. One day you will say something original I hope.

"You don't bother going to games." So that immediately invalidates my having an opinion does it? Would it do so if I was to share your glass half full attitude Duncan?

As a historian I find your attitude rather odd. Should we dismiss everything historians write because most of them weren't there at the events they write about and form opinions about?

You only have to read the match day thread on here to see that people who "bothered" to go to the match differ enormously in the way they see it. There are many people on here who also do not go to matches but form a view from their armchairs and our view is just as valid, even if it does differ from yours.

You have no idea what my circumstances are yet it doesn't stop you making a judgement. Don't you think that is a bit hypocritical, afterall, isn't that what you are in effect accusing me of?

Well done to going to lots of matches but sorry, it doesn't mean that your point of view carries any more weight than anyone else's. At the end of the day, it is just another opinion. And you pontificate as much as any one else on here.

It seems to me that the fans who go to games regularly, especially us season ticket holders, are generally more interested in supporting the players and more upset when they are sold whereas those who don't or can't go to games regularly, especially, for some reason, those living in America, seem more interested in supporting the owner and board of directors and are not particularly bothered when players are sold but do seem to get very upset by and even abusive towards those who are. Of course there are exceptions but that seems to be the general picture.

I've found that American 'soccer' fans are generally much more knowledgable and intelligent than the average British fan..

Lol - I coached football ("soccer") in the US for a while and the football knowledge was generally "oh ok man England huh, you must know Paul Gas-gone and Gary Line-acher"

To be fair, it probably does. Unless you have a weird understanding of "committed" and "passionate".

I would just like to say that I hate global poverty, famine, persecution and unfairness. Whenever I'm sat at home and I see something on the news, or whenever I read about it on the internet, or hear about it on the radio, it really gets me going. I feel the passion rise and I redouble my commitment to eradicating it.

I am particularly proud of this woman:

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/joanna-palani-syria-iraq-ran-away-fight-isis

I hope the world is a better place as a result of her passion and commitment. And mine, which is the same as hers. Although I haven't done anything about this.

It seems to me that the fans who go to games regularly, especially us season ticket holders, are generally more interested in supporting the players and more upset when they are sold whereas those who don't or can't go to games regularly, especially, for some reason, those living in America, seem more interested in supporting the owner and board of directors and are not particularly bothered when players are sold but do seem to get very upset by and even abusive towards those who are. Of course there are exceptions but that seems to be the general picture.

I think you are creating a scenario to fit your own ideas there...

#TDATD

(there's drivel and there's drivel)

I would just like to say that I hate global poverty, famine, persecution and unfairness. Whenever I'm sat at home and I see something on the news, or whenever I read about it on the internet, or hear about it on the radio, it really gets me going. I feel the passion rise and I redouble my commitment to eradicating it.

I am particularly proud of this woman:

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/joanna-palani-syria-iraq-ran-away-fight-isis

I hope the world is a better place as a result of her passion and commitment. And mine, which is the same as hers. Although I haven't done anything about this.

She is a liar you know that right !?

Rarely post, but felt compelled with this Les Reed debate.

Against any performance measure Les Reed’s tenure can only be considered to have been successful. Take his actions and performance outside of the emotive football world and into another industry and he’d have been lauded as a mastermind:

- Improved league position in each of the last 6 seasons

- Two promotions

- European qualification x 2

- Carling Cup final

- Promotion of academy players, bucking the trend of our rivals

- Three very successful managerial appointments (Adkins, Poch, Koeman)

- Identification and purchase of world class footballers, unseen by our rivals (Mane, VVD, Alderweireld, Lovren, Wanyama, Clyne, Lambert)

In years to come when the fortunes of Saints ultimately change we will all look back on these last 6 years as the most successful and joyous that the club ever had.

However I do understand the frustration from some. Losing our best players every year is demoralising. We haven’t replaced the quality we had last season adequately (though suspect this is a restricton from Katerina). I also feel the years of success have gone to the heads of some in the club (including Les) and some of our decisions smack of us knowing “better than everyone else”. Puel’s appointment being the best example. No other club PL club would have appointed him.

Nevertheless, I am happy to cut Les and others some slack given the years of success I have enjoyed under their stewardship. And given I am going to go to a cup final this year (ticket office permitting). And given I went to Milan to watch Saints play this season. And given we’re doing all of this with a lot of young, local academy players.

The entitlement of some on this forum is remarkable. Look at where we’ve come from. Look at what we’ve achieved. There is no other example of this journey of success in modern day English football. And Les Reed was at the heart of it.

Rarely post, but felt compelled with this Les Reed debate.

Against any performance measure Les Reed’s tenure can only be considered to have been successful. Take his actions and performance outside of the emotive football world and into another industry and he’d have been lauded as a mastermind:

- Improved league position in each of the last 6 seasons

- Two promotions

- European qualification x 2

- Carling Cup final

- Promotion of academy players, bucking the trend of our rivals

- Three very successful managerial appointments (Adkins, Poch, Koeman)

- Identification and purchase of world class footballers, unseen by our rivals (Mane, VVD, Alderweireld, Lovren, Wanyama, Clyne, Lambert)

In years to come when the fortunes of Saints ultimately change we will all look back on these last 6 years as the most successful and joyous that the club ever had.

However I do understand the frustration from some. Losing our best players every year is demoralising. We haven’t replaced the quality we had last season adequately (though suspect this is a restricton from Katerina). I also feel the years of success have gone to the heads of some in the club (including Les) and some of our decisions smack of us knowing “better than everyone else”. Puel’s appointment being the best example. No other club PL club would have appointed him.

Nevertheless, I am happy to cut Les and others some slack given the years of success I have enjoyed under their stewardship. And given I am going to go to a cup final this year (ticket office permitting). And given I went to Milan to watch Saints play this season. And given we’re doing all of this with a lot of young, local academy players.

The entitlement of some on this forum is remarkable. Look at where we’ve come from. Look at what we’ve achieved. There is no other example of this journey of success in modern day English football. And Les Reed was at the heart of it.

What a load of sh!t. :lol:

^ if you insist on giving Reed all the credit for the work Cortese done.... Yes i agree Reed has been a massive success.

I'd personally just judge him on his two years in charge.

Reed was in charge of all the football decisions, which is what that post was about.

Cortese was the commercial "brains", which at a club our size was nothing short of a clusterf uck of gaffe after gaffe in his time, from the humiliating photography rights stand down to multiple fumbles with sponsorship deals and bungled kit contracts with atrocious designs or designs we couldn't actually play in. Our first full season in the Premier League, the world's most lucrative sports competition the short one left us with commercial revenue LOWER than then-Championship Watford. Round of applause for that one. If those issues were translated into sporting decisions I'd wager we'd still be scrabbling around in League One.

Anyway it's been in the Premier League in the infinitely more successful Ralph Krueger era that Les has gone from strength to strength, this seasons couple of blips excepted.

Reed was in charge of all the football decisions, which is what that post was about.

Cortese was the commercial "brains", which at a club our size was nothing short of a clusterf uck of gaffe after gaffe in his time, from the humiliating photography rights stand down to multiple fumbles with sponsorship deals and bungled kit contracts with atrocious designs or designs we couldn't actually play in. Our first full season in the Premier League, the world's most lucrative sports competition the short one left us with commercial revenue LOWER than then-Championship Watford. Round of applause for that one. If those issues were translated into sporting decisions I'd wager we'd still be scrabbling around in League One.

Anyway it's been in the Premier League in the infinitely more successful Ralph Krueger era that Les has gone from strength to strength, this seasons couple of blips excepted.

I remember when the cortese leaving rumours started. There was a 30-40 page thread on here + poll

I remember 95% wanted Cortese to stay.

What i dont remember was any mention of Les "in charge" Reed being mentioned once.... Hell why would he get a mention, he was tucked away behind the scenes as football development manager for our rise from Div 1 to the Prem.

You can give Reed credit for the last 7 years, I'll continue to just review him on his actual 2.5 years in charge.

The momentum Cortese had built & grown here, now lost by Super Les. Almost insane that one man can loose such positive momentum so quickly.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25420261?

I remember when the cortese leaving rumours started. There was a 30-40 page thread on here + poll

I remember 95% wanted Cortese to stay.

What i dont remember was any mention of Les "in charge" Reed being mentioned once.... Hell why would he get a mention, he was tucked away behind the scenes as football development manager for our rise from Div 1 to the Prem.

You can give Reed credit for the last 7 years, I'll continue to just review him on his actual 2.5 years in charge.

The momentum Cortese had built & grown here, now lost by Super Les. Almost insane that one man can loose such positive momentum so quickly.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25420261?

Okay then.

It was football players and football managers that got us to the Prem.

All led by Les Reed.