Les Reed

Heisenberg

Les Reed - In or Out?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Les Reed - In or Out?

"You don't bother going to games." So that immediately invalidates my having an opinion does it? Would it do so if I was to share your glass half full attitude Duncan?

As a historian I find your attitude rather odd. Should we dismiss everything historians write because most of them weren't there at the events they write about and form opinions about?

You only have to read the match day thread on here to see that people who "bothered" to go to the match differ enormously in the way they see it. There are many people on here who also do not go to matches but form a view from their armchairs and our view is just as valid, even if it does differ from yours.

You have no idea what my circumstances are yet it doesn't stop you making a judgement. Don't you think that is a bit hypocritical, afterall, isn't that what you are in effect accusing me of?

Well done to going to lots of matches but sorry, it doesn't mean that your point of view carries any more weight than anyone else's. At the end of the day, it is just another opinion. And you pontificate as much as any one else on here.

I have been jousting with you Bern since the turn of the century and back then you admitted to rarely going to games. Does that make your opinion less valid. Yes it does is my honest opinion. Doesn't make you an inferior fan I guess, although your pennies don't swell the club coffers. Historians are rarely able to write about history with the benefit of being there however so don't know why you said that, its irrelevant. All I know if I gave my opinion as biased as you do I would make an effort to go now again just to ensure I wasn't talking twaddle. Bloody hell mate that's just common sense. If I lived in Aussie and never went I might lurk but not lecture as you do.

I have been jousting with you Bern since the turn of the century and back then you admitted to rarely going to games. Does that make your opinion less valid. Yes it does is my honest opinion. Doesn't make you an inferior fan I guess, although your pennies don't swell the club coffers. Historians are rarely able to write about history with the benefit of being there however so don't know why you said that, its irrelevant. All I know if I gave my opinion as biased as you do I would make an effort to go now again just to ensure I wasn't talking twaddle. Bloody hell mate that's just common sense. If I lived in Aussie and never went I might lurk but not lecture as you do.

I'm not sure not being at games in an era where every game is live streamed, highlights are available all over the web with in minutes of a game ending and every decision can be watched in multiple angels with pundit opinion voiced over the top means people who go to matches have a better idea of what's going on than those who don't go to games. Its not like the old days where you had a bit of radio commentary and nothing else to go on if you didn't go to a game. People can see every saints game of the season on a laptop in Aus and probably had a better view of the game than you did sat at SMS....to quote Dylan "Times they are a changing"

I'm not sure not being at games in an era where every game is live streamed, highlights are available all over the web with in minutes of a game ending and every decision can be watched in multiple angels with pundit opinion voiced over the top means people who go to matches have a better idea of what's going on than those who don't go to games. Its not like the old days where you had a bit of radio commentary and nothing else to go on if you didn't go to a game. People can see every saints game of the season on a laptop in Aus and probably had a better view of the game than you did sat at SMS....to quote Dylan "Times they are a changing"

You miss a lot of what's really going on watching on TV. And a lot of the pundits are inarticulate morons.

I cant believe your gall in criticising poor Soggy. If I didn't know better I'd think you were sat at home getting stoned or bladdered.

After all its quite an operation getting here from darkest Kent.

Wrong on many levels.

You miss a lot of what's really going on watching on TV. And a lot of the pundits are inarticulate morons.

I go to plenty of live games and its amazing how many incidents I see in a completely different light once I watch the highlights and replays latter you can miss plenty at live games you don't appreciate until you see stuff back latter.

You have no knowledge of my situation so I don't know why you feel qualified to make a personal judgement. Is my opinion any more biased than yours Duncan? You can probably see more watching the match on TV so I don't see why you think being there makes an opinion any more valid? I also don't know why you get so upset about it. There are plenty of Saints supporters who don't go to games very often for a variety of reasons. Anyway, this thread is about sacking Les Reed. I really don't think that you have to go to every match just to have an opinion about the job he is doing for us. The reason I "lecture" as you put it is because invariably a number of people on here are only to willing to jump to negative conclusions without any facts to back up their posts. I am not the only one on here who gets fed up with the negativity. I didn't aim my post at you but perhaps I have touched a nerve? And as someone said earlier, you get upset when someone has a pop at you, you even started a thread about it, but you feel more than happy to have a pop at other people.

I cant believe your gall in criticising poor Soggy. If I didn't know better I'd think you were sat at home getting stoned or bladdered.

After all its quite an operation getting here from darkest Kent.

Thanks to you and others for your support. It is a nightmare getting anywhere from where I currently live but there are numerous reasons why I don't get to live games very often nowadays, and I really don't feel the need to justify them to anyone else. We are all entitled to an opinion, and as the Club Historian has said himself, play the post, not the man!

;)

There are so many things you see happening at a live match-day that never get on screen where the experience and perspectives are nowhere near the same.

and vice verse my ST is in the Itchen North when we score at the Chapel end I normally have very little idea of who scored and exactly how at the time. Nor will I see a trip in a crowded box at that end. Its the digital age. Chances are people at home have had better views of every major incident (in multiple angles with replays) at a game than I have stood half way up the Itchen stand. I'd still rather be at a live game any day but the idea people at the game are in some way better informed about every aspect of a game in this day and age is clearly not so.

The point is that fans who rarely go to games seem to be the ones who are most abusive towards season ticket holders who attend games regularly and who justifiably feel more let down when our best players are sold and when the team plays badly and loses. If you're not investing a lot of your own money and time, you shouldn't really criticise those who do with all of this 'bedwetting' and 'self-entitled' nonsense, as you haven't used a large slice of your budget or spent hours travelling to and from games. Fair enough if you comment on the games and the club. You have every right to do that. But, as for being abusive towards loyal fans, no.

The point is that fans who rarely go to games seem to be the ones who are most abusive towards season ticket holders who attend games regularly and who justifiably feel more let down when our best players are sold and when the team plays badly and loses. If you're not investing a lot of your own money and time, you shouldn't really criticise those who do with all of this 'bedwetting' and 'self-entitled' nonsense, as you haven't used a large slice of your budget or spent hours travelling to and from games. Fair enough if you comment on the games and the club. You have every right to do that. But, as for being abusive towards loyal fans, no.

I think that you will find that plenty of people who invest their money in the club also criticise the bedwetters. Anyway, back to the point of the thread. It looks like Reed has unearthed another gem. Does it really make sense to kick him out?

I'm a season ticket holder I'm very invested in my team and I still think you're coming across as a self entitled sheet drencher....just saying

I don't know what evidence you have for this, the are people on both sides of the argument that go regularly and some that don't. Anyway people invest the time and money that they want, so it's no greater hardship for a season ticket holder as it is for a five game a season man.

Just don't hit me, no not the face anything but the face.

1. What is your evidence for the first statement (in bold type)?

2. Why do regular attendees "justifiably feel more let down". This seems to be another example of the "real fan" prejudice.

3. What makes you think that money spent, or time expended, should make a poster immune from criticism?

4. Of course, being abusive is not correct, but being critical is fine—the amount of money and time spent is irrelevant as far as the consideration of the opinions and conduct of fans goes. It is the validity of the opinion and the kind of behaviour that matters—not the relative amount of commitment.

This sort of one-upmanship in the "real fan" stakes is tiresome.

It always feels like Bertrand should be the next one to leave for some reason, and yet I have this feeling that he's actually more loyal than would be suspected. Could he be one that actually sticks around for a bit? Surely his quality would've been recognised by other clubs by now.

I rarely get to games but am lucky enough to watch every game (involuntary arm chair fan). I have been both negative and positive this season and at those times I would feel freely able to state my agreement or disagreement with any other poster on this board. In regards to faniness, well I'm not sure that the validity of the opinion comes in to question unless it comes down to seeing an incident from ten metres or it's someone that doesn't keep abreast of the game, club, players, etc.

It always feels like Bertrand should be the next one to leave for some reason, and yet I have this feeling that he's actually more loyal than would be suspected. Could he be one that actually sticks around for a bit? Surely his quality would've been recognised by other clubs by now.

He has already had big club experience with Chelsea and won FA Cup, Champions League and Europa League winners' medals. Yet, we probably wouldn't get a massive fee for him. He's got no real reason to leave and we've got no compelling reason to sell him so there is every reason to believe he's here to stay for a few more years, which is good news for us.

He has already had big club experience with Chelsea and won FA Cup, Champions League and Europa League winners' medals. Yet, we probably wouldn't get a massive fee for him. He's got no real reason to leave and we've got no compelling reason to sell him so there is every reason to believe he's here to stay for a few more years, which is good news for us.

I still find it strange that some people think that players will stay because they are loyal, ****ing madness. If Bertrand was to get an offer from say Liverpool, in the summer, do you really think he take into account how it went at Chelsea and Villa? No, he'll take into account 'whats in it for him now'. Sorry mate (dont hit me for it), but even the new guy will be off in the summer if he carries on like this. This clubs overriding policy is to buy low and sell high and to be fair, its working. Of course, eventually we'll be found out.

I still find it strange that some people think that players will stay because they are loyal, ****ing madness. If Bertrand was to get an offer from say Liverpool, in the summer, do you really think he take into account how it went at Chelsea and Villa? No, he'll take into account 'whats in it for him now'. Sorry mate (dont hit me for it), but even the new guy will be off in the summer if he carries on like this. This clubs overriding policy is to buy low and sell high and to be fair, its working. Of course, eventually we'll be found out.

The only thing that I think would put him off a move to either Liverpool or City would be how far from London it is. However, as with any footballer, most of the time money talks and I wouldn't be surprised if he was off in the summer.

Personally i'm surprised that he wasn't made VC... For me, he is more of a permanent fixture in the starting 11 than Davis (not taking anything away from Davis as he is clearly Captain material, just thinking from a squad selection perspective)...

• 2 months later...
Time to go Reed.

Take Puel and Black with you please.

He he did well with Pottychino, Atkins, Koeman and Pardew.

Not sure he deserves to go on this average manager choice.

I personally think he should stop selling to Liverpool no matter how much they throw at us and try to build a good first team.

Club tried to be clever with Puel, not quite worked out as they'd have hoped I'm sure. Not bad as bad as some are saying, but certainly underachieved.

But all these 'OUT' threads are very knee-jerky. Who next? Watson? Jadi? The tea lady?

Believes his own hype to much to admit he got it wrong with the puel choice. Certainly wasn't our first choice just simply due to the time it took to appoint him. If puel stays and we have another season playing the football we are playing right now then reed needs to go!

Time to go Reed.

Take Puel and Black with you please.

Club tried to be clever with Puel, not quite worked out as they'd have hoped I'm sure. Not bad as bad as some are saying, but certainly underachieved.

But all these 'OUT' threads are very knee-jerky. Who next? Watson? Jadi? The tea lady?

He's been dreadful the last year. Clyne was staying, lallana was staying, Koeman was staying and the worst of all was the world class replacement if fonte leaves.

He's been dreadful the last year. Clyne was staying, lallana was staying, Koeman was staying and the worst of all was the world class replacement if fonte leaves.

I don't disagree with that, he needs to wind in his chats a bit. They're often quite a lot of garbage just to appease fans and it's best to just mute them.....

What bugs me as a club is that we're arrogant. We think we do everything a special way, secret this, secret that. We're no different from the rest, at the end of the day $$$$ is what makes the difference, not being cute and clever in how to approach situations. That's the sad reality of it, we're not going to win the league because we have a black box. That's the main gripe I have with us. Too nice, believe our own hype and not enough conviction in our goals.

He's still got more than enough points in the locker to stay though, done more good than bad for us.

Reed has never been a winner.

He was a complete laughing stock before his lucky break here.

He has done well to continue the momentum built by Cortese but the bubble has burst and I have zero faith that Les can get us back on track.

We will go one way now if Reed stays on.

Leave this summer and he can retire with some small pride.

Hes made millions here, go enjoy it Les. Get a Liverpool season ticket and have some holidays.

Reed has never been a winner.

He was a complete laughing stock before his lucky break here.

He has done well to continue the momentum built by Cortese but the bubble has burst and I have zero faith that Les can get us back on track.

We will go one way now if Reed stays on.

Leave this summer and he can retire with some small pride.

Hes made millions here, go enjoy it Les. Get a Liverpool season ticket and have some holidays.

I agree with a lot of what you say and feel that he's past it but the barrowboy ego is not made for resignation, and I can't see jellyfish Krueger sacking him.

I don't disagree with that, he needs to wind in his chats a bit. They're often quite a lot of garbage just to appease fans and it's best to just mute them.....

What bugs me as a club is that we're arrogant. We think we do everything a special way, secret this, secret that. We're no different from the rest, at the end of the day $$$$ is what makes the difference, not being cute and clever in how to approach situations. That's the sad reality of it, we're not going to win the league because we have a black box. That's the main gripe I have with us. Too nice, believe our own hype and not enough conviction in our goals.

He's still got more than enough points in the locker to stay though, done more good than bad for us.

Agree with this

Reed has transformed this club. He makes mistakes. So did Winston Churchill, Mohamed Ali, Elvis Presley,Mother Teresa, and Ted Bates.

He certainly has: from one of the best teams in the country, capable of beating any other team in the Premier League, which finished 6th and was only 3 points of a Champions League place, to this. Why shouldn't he retire like everyone else? His poor decsion making over the last year show he is well past his prime. Are we supposed to pay him until he's70?