Les Reed

Heisenberg

Les Reed - In or Out?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Les Reed - In or Out?

Isn't that impressive - Are you taking the p!ss?

Probably one of the most successful " Director Of Football" Cv's in the world for a club of our size.

Yeah but he made little Steven Gerrard upset that time.

Wow this thread is quiet now Liverpool has come out and apologised to us.

Les is being a straight G right now and has spent the afternoon doing this to Liverpool execs

giphy.gif

Our chairman, Ralph Krueger, actually, who does seem to be a man of principle, unlike Cockney wide boy, Les Reed, who fell out with Gareth Rogers, when he advised him not to sell Mane to Liverpool. He can't sack Krueger though.

Harry Redknapp

Ruper Lowe

Nicola Cortese

Jeremy Corbyn

Ronald Macdonald

BTW, thats not me saying 'anyone' could do better, it was my attempt at humour :) I think Les is doing a fine job, and has played his part in establishing us as a Top 10 Premier League team, which I would take every season.

• 1 month later...
Just relieved no one on here in charge. We'd ditch 20 players every summer and sign another 20.

That's a pretty pathetic response to be honest. There are many people just worried about the club, and a result like this is not ideal preparation for the season. Not everything is polar. There are nuances, but early signs are not great. Especially blindness about Forster's ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just relieved no one on here in charge. We'd ditch 20 players every summer and sign another 20.

Nothing like a slight exaggeration eh

However thats largely what we have been doing.

4 managers and nearly 40 sold/signed in Reeds 4 years

That's pretty much what we have been doing the last few years.

Except when Paul The Black Box Mitchell was here, we were replacing them with good ones. Now that Old Les has got rid of him and just about everyone else, the club just looks trapped in a downward spiral.

Except when Paul The Black Box Mitchell was here, we were replacing them with good ones. Now that Old Les has got rid of him and just about everyone else, the club just looks trapped in a downward spiral.

So... after 7 years of continually better league placings, we've dropped two places, in a season where we had our best ever showing in the Europa League, and were denied silverware in the League Cup by inept officials.

This summer, it looks like we could well resist a world record fee for a defender to keep hold of our best player.

And this constitutes a downward spiral?

What exactly were you expecting?

So... after 7 years of continually better league placings, we've dropped two places, in a season where we had our best ever showing in the Europa League, and were denied silverware in the League Cup by inept officials.

This summer, it looks like we could well resist a world record fee for a defender to keep hold of our best player.

With record amounts now received just for being in the premier league (report £150m just from TV) you might and should expect some investment into the 1st team?

Our progression has slowed, stopped, and now reversed under Les Reed. He does not get credit for anything pre Koeman.

Our progression has slowed, stopped, and now reversed under Les Reed. He does not get credit for anything pre Koeman.

Can I ask why you don't believe he gets any credit for anything pre-koeman? What is your basis for that statement? Make outlandish statements like that, you should be prepared to back it up strongly.

You guys who want Reed out should be ashamed of yourselves..... But I'm sure you won't be.

Anybody who thinks Les Reed is wonderful, should bear in mine that he has told Claude and Mauricio what their squads are going to be for the coming season.

Arsene, here is your squad for next season. Arsene: "Take this lunatic away please!"

I'm not Reeds greatest fan at all but he is given his remit and has followed it best he can. Buy cheap sell dear is the Southampton Way. That's all very well if you judge it right. The black box spews out names ,its whether the people who look at the info can work out the best.If we gave the info to 20 of the judges on here I wonder who would you want to analyse it ?

Winnersaint Love it when all the mouth breathers and loons are on here in force!

I breathe through my mouth and nose and think that you are a complete tw*t if you think that Les(Despot) Reed is doing a good job.

Anybody who said that Saints have probably the best midfield combo in the Premier league on 11/07/16, should now be in a straitjacket!

Yeah, I think its time for him to go now. Each summer is a bigger pigs ear than the previous.

but each spring SFC are in the top 8 of the PL been in the Europa League twice unlucky in the Final of the League Cup.

Not bad for a club of our size

Anybody who thinks Les Reed is wonderful, should bear in mine that he has told Claude and Mauricio what their squads are going to be for the coming season.

Arsene, here is your squad for next season. Arsene: "Take this lunatic away please!"

Classic Irony

Perception from the outside is that Red has become a ditherer, inactive in the transfer market, and a fumbler of things. The only defence I can think of is that he is hamstrung by internal matters, financial constraints or parameters laid down to him, in particular whilst the club appears to be in a state of flux pending Kat's selling.

For all those calling for Reed to go, just think he might be replaced by promoting Ross Wilson, who has no particular track record at all.

Les has done an amazing job with us, but the next couple of weeks could really define his time here.

If

we sell VvD to Liverpool

Don't effectively recruit in key areas (CM and CB)

we get off to a bad start

Then I could really see the majority of the crowd turn against him and the board.

Something just feels different these past 2 seasons (last season and this one up and coming) and in hindsight, if Pellegrino doesn't go to plan, we'd have been better off offering Koeman the fee he wanted to stay, as we've already wasted god knows on the termination of Puel's contract.

It hasn't helped that everyone in the market has moved early and we've stood still, if not gone backwards.

It'd be a real shame or Les' to only be remembered for the bad years (if the above happens) and people forget the good ones, which far outweigh the bad ones.

The trouble is, his hands are slightly tied. We've an owner that, rightly or wrongly, doesn't want to invest anymore of her own money in the club and he's still trying to get by on what we have. He's not been helped by our average scouting team (Ross Wilson) at current.

Winnersaint Love it when all the mouth breathers and loons are on here in force!

I breathe through my mouth and nose and think that you are a complete tw*t if you think that Les(Despot) Reed is doing a good job.

Anybody who said that Saints have probably the best midfield combo in the Premier league on 11/07/16, should now be in a straitjacket!

I think Les had done a great job over the last five or six years. What's a 'mouth breather'?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Edited by Micky

Les Read came here with not much of a reputation but the club have prospered and are still in the prem for now .I'm fairly sure Les does not decide how much the club can spend in anyone season . I think he would be better descibed as a leader of a local council whose budget is decided in Westminster and even if he raises £M in transfer fees is NOT allowed to spend it on new players ( or council houses as we used to know them) .

All the very big money is being spent by clubs with external money , much of which has the sole intension of rehabilitating very dodgy countries around the globe to divert attention from their corrupt or repressive regimes or people from this country who have amassed their money exploiting young females then employ a female to front their operation. Supporting local football instead hasn't worked for me as the fans seem to have the same Sky watching mentality of instant success and the "board " are all self serving bar stewards" who don't know what they are doing by not buying a top proven striker to score loads of goals etc etc.

Perception from the outside is that Red has become a ditherer, inactive in the transfer market, and a fumbler of things. The only defence I can think of is that he is hamstrung by internal matters, financial constraints or parameters laid down to him, in particular whilst the club appears to be in a state of flux pending Kat's selling.

For all those calling for Reed to go, just think he might be replaced by promoting Ross Wilson, who has no particular track record at all.

Except for being nowhere near as good at finding talented managers and players as his predecessor, Paul The Black Box Mitchell was. Mitchell is the man who should replace Reed.

With record amounts now received just for being in the premier league (report £150m just from TV) you might and should expect some investment into the 1st team?

With TV viewing figures down, I'd be surprised if, when the new TV deal is announced, it didn't go down in price. Maybe it's better for us to keep hold of it for now rather than wasting it in a hugely inflated market.

Anyhow, the last Jeremy Wilson piece said we were looking to make some additions, so let's wait and see what happens. Hopefully we'll get good news on that front soon :)

Can I ask why you don't believe he gets any credit for anything pre-koeman? What is your basis for that statement? Make outlandish statements like that, you should be prepared to back it up strongly.

You are ofc right S Clarke.

LR got ML to buy the club.

LR signed RL and JF... ofc.

LR Hired pardew, sacked him, hired Adkins, sacked him, hired poch...

LR screwed arsenal to the wall with the AOC transfer, and has continued those amazing transfer negotiation skills when we sold RL, CC, AL, SM, DL etc.

It was LR, and not NC that received numerous praise from the players during our rise up the english football pyramid.

It was LR and his magic black box that signed DT, SM, VVD, GP, TA... nothing to do with Koeman.

LR in no way dropped the bollock on TA

LR in no way fell out with RK.

And ofc, LR has never released misleading statements to the fans that coincided with certain season ticket deadlines etc. Never ever.

Honestly, one thing Les Reed can actually stake a claim to. And I'll give him his credit for this. He hired Koeman. Looks more and more likely that that was just a lucky one off though.

Still nothing really backing it up. You are assuming that during the years we were successful, Les Reed sat in a chair and twiddled his thumbs. Do you really believe that? It's a little dim to believe that NC did all this work, Les Reed would have had significant input in Staplewood, the development of the training facilities and was part of the scouting team who got us out of our difficult situation 3 summers ago

I smell a bit of sarcasm in your post, where you're seemingly taking the **** out of the fee's we received for RL/CC/DL etc. Really? In what way was £16m not an utterly extraordinary fee for a player who has gone onto to do zilch? In what way was £5m-9m for Lambert not a terrific deal? Mane, Lallana, Lovren - all in excess of £20m, Mane closer to £40m. What was wrong with those negotiation skills? You have to realise that football has moved forward in terms of transfer frees over the last 2 windows, but the summer in which we received the fee's we did - in that current climate, they were top level fee's. There's no point comparing them to what clubs pay for players now, the goal posts changed.

The black box is overcooked on here, and by the club to a degree. The manager will make recommendations, the club will look at all the information they have on those players and put together a formed opinion on who is right and who isn't, it's not just down the manager.

It just seems to me as if people are just looking for someone to blame, looking for someone to attack. Not entirely sure why. You cannot just airbrush the good times and say he wasn't involved, and then all of a sudden when it becomes bad he is involved. It feels like he's slept with some of your wives given the amount of stick he gets.