Les Reed

Heisenberg

Les Reed - In or Out?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Les Reed - In or Out?

The question I'd ask is, is he doing what the owners want him to do? If he is, they won't fire him. He's utilised youngsters more than RK, presumably so they can be sold fairly soon as is our style. We don't know what the owners want, how much influence Reed is having in Puel's selection, management and tactics, or in all honesty, anything that goes on behind the scenes. The club feeds us what it wants us to know and anything else is pure speculation.

It's interesting, the club said that they would be transparent but somehow give us the perception that they tell us everything whilst actually telling us nothing. That's PR/Social Media for you.

I think serious questions must be asked of the recruitment department. Les Reed's future should be under threat IMO, two transfer windows he has messed up.

We have an excellent manager, he needs to be backed.

The recruitment department falls on Wilson's doorstep, he's the one who should be sleeping nervously right now.

I think serious questions must be asked of the recruitment department. Les Reed's future should be under threat IMO, two transfer windows he has messed up.

How can anyone call Puel an excellent manager? Seriously? It's perfectly valid to think recruitment might have had a bigger impact on our poor season than the manager, but he has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he is "excellent". Nothing

Oh Gosh another knee jerk opening post ! This board is being overtaken by wind up merchants and bed wetters. Les Reed has done wonders at this club and you should remember where we were before he arrived. Every transfer window or slump we get the same old people calling for somebody's head and nearly every time you get slapped in the face as he pulls yet another out of the bag. Well you must all be creaming your pants as it looks as if he has had a glitch and there are no rabbits ... yet ! It amazes me that you think that there is an iota of a chance of changing the running order of a multi million turnover business from your internet warrior keyboards. I have also yet to see any of you come up with a sensible alternative to the structure we have. I think we were unlucky in the recruitment this window but I am sure you would all have spent 25 - 30 million to have Sakho for six months oh yes all of a sudden he is the dogs when he has been a clown at Liverpool and is likened to bambi on ice. Also does anyone really think that after all the money we have "robbed from Liverpool" (well according to this board nearly everyone we have sold is pants) that they would have let us have him on the cheap? Apart from Chelsea and the poor show against Arsenal in the cup we have lost games because THE PLAYERS cannot seem to shoot on target and past the keeper. Also our keeper does not seem able to save shots that are hit low. I was not happy with today's result but the players had enough chances. It is a shame that more of you couldn't get behind the team as you are not going to change a thing but encouraging the players at matches helps a great deal. We weren't good enough with our support today either. I do not post much just fume at the same old people who seem to revel in doing down the club when we are going through a rough patch. It's not like Reed and Puel have guided us to a major cup final for the first time since 2003 is it. COYR

Agreed. He has got to go. You can't present yourself as a smug know it all and then fail to deliver so spectacularly. His arrogance could relegate us. I don't even care if he reads this. In fact, I hope he does.

Genuine q for you - what has Puel done to prove he is an excellent manager? I suspect that, for every good result, I could cite twice as many awful ones.

Oh Gosh another knee jerk opening post ! This board is being overtaken by wind up merchants and bed wetters. Les Reed has done wonders at this club and you should remember where we were before he arrived. Every transfer window or slump we get the same old people calling for somebody's head and nearly every time you get slapped in the face as he pulls yet another out of the bag. Well you must all be creaming your pants as it looks as if he has had a glitch and there are no rabbits ... yet ! It amazes me that you think that there is an iota of a chance of changing the running order of a multi million turnover business from your internet warrior keyboards. I have also yet to see any of you come up with a sensible alternative to the structure we have. I think we were unlucky in the recruitment this window but I am sure you would all have spent 25 - 30 million to have Sakho for six months oh yes all of a sudden he is the dogs when he has been a clown at Liverpool and is likened to bambi on ice. Also does anyone really think that after all the money we have "robbed from Liverpool" (well according to this board nearly everyone we have sold is pants) that they would have let us have him on the cheap? Apart from Chelsea and the poor show against Arsenal in the cup we have lost games because THE PLAYERS cannot seem to shoot on target and past the keeper. Also our keeper does not seem able to save shots that are hit low. I was not happy with today's result but the players had enough chances. It is a shame that more of you couldn't get behind the team as you are not going to change a thing but encouraging the players at matches helps a great deal. We weren't good enough with our support today either. I do not post much just fume at the same old people who seem to revel in doing down the club when we are going through a rough patch. It's not like Reed and Puel have guided us to a major cup final for the first time since 2003 is it. COYR

Best post I have read, on any thread, on this board in a very long time. That said - you're wasting your time here mate, this boards not for you - move along please.......

Agreed. He has got to go. You can't present yourself as a smug know it all and then fail to deliver so spectacularly. His arrogance could relegate us. I don't even care if he reads this. In fact, I hope he does.

Lol -don't underestimate the influence of your posts pal

But who will sack him? Nobody else seems to have a clue, why would kat worry if we're relegated she's off with her huge bank balance, does Reed care, I don't think so, he's not any red/white in him, he's a failed manager turned crap pr man who got a lucky break at saints where he's made himself very rich, the guy is a total ***** who is to blind to see what is happening, but does he care does he fu**

Where do we get them from?

Well said mate. post more please

Genuine q for you - what has Puel done to prove he is an excellent manager? I suspect that, for every good result, I could cite twice as many awful ones.

It seems pamplemouse can't answer that one & has mysteriously gone "quiet"

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Just so I can be sure, we are talking about the same Les Reed who oversaw the last 6/7 years of continual progress whilst keeping the club in the black, right?

We want that guy out after 6 months of patchy form for the first team?

He was in charge for the last 7 years ?

Just so I can be sure, we are talking about the same Les Reed who oversaw the last 6/7 years of continual progress whilst keeping the club in the black, right?

It's only the 'we' that is same lot who want change as soon as we go two games without winning. Mainly same attention seekers who don't go to games but have all the simple fixes to hand but frustrated that their little posts and ideas seem to go unheard.

Someone will be along shortly to correct you that Les Reed oversaw only the rubbish bits, mistakes, errors, defeats. That's entirely down to him and his fault 100%.

Anything good or any progress that has happened was overseen by someone else or written off as Les getting lucky and has nothing whatsoever to do with Les Reed.

I was going to suggest we don't feed the troll, but it appears you nunch of reactionaries agree with him. Ho-hum.

He's a troll because he happens to have a different point of view to you? For heaven's sake grow up, it is quite obvious from this thread that it is you that is in the minority. Surely you are more worthy of the tag of being a troll for rabble rousing by personally attacking another person rather than counter their point of view by persuasive argument.

I happen to agree with the OP, the buck stops at Reed's desk, he handled the transfer window very badly and has placed the club in jeopardy as a result. That would get you, me and anybody else on here the sack immediately. I have watched Saints since time began, change has been the only constant.

I've never thought this before but now wonder if their really is an asset strip planned before a takeover. If we were too get relegated a lot of players would hand in transfer requests and would have to be sold with reduced comeback from the fans. Plus the prem payout for this season. Can they take hefty dividends before selling the club to the new guys who may have already stated they intend to change the staff. I suspect this because the failure to replace at least one of our essential cb's is so inept it must be calculated, not even the most basic of football looks would ever bank on our survival with Yoshida as our main CB and an untested youth as his sidekick. Years of Yoshida have told us he is a liability even as an number two... so all I can think is this must be intentional...

I've never thought this before but now wonder if their really is an asset strip planned before a takeover. If we were too get relegated a lot of players would hand in transfer requests and would have to be sold with reduced comeback from the fans. Plus the prem payout for this season. Can they take hefty dividends before selling the club to the new guys who may have already stated they intend to change the staff. I suspect this because the failure to replace at least one of our essential cb's is so inept it must be calculated, not even the most basic of football looks would ever bank on our survival with Yoshida as our main CB and an untested youth as his sidekick. Years of Yoshida have told us he is a liability even as an number two... so all I can think is this must be intentional...

£16m on a striker.

Lots of people have said this since 3 seasons ago and indeed now it could be slightly valid, if kat values us at £200m, we will still be worth that or thereabouts even if vvd is sold, so another 50m in coffers

We're not going to be worth a fraction of that if we go down, which is looking increasingly likely thanks to Les Reeds monumental fook up. He failed to do his job, now Krueger needs to do his and get rid of the liability that is Reed.

Someone will be along shortly to correct you that Les Reed oversaw only the rubbish bits, mistakes, errors, defeats. That's entirely down to him and his fault 100%.

Anything good or any progress that has happened was overseen by someone else or written off as Les getting lucky and has nothing whatsoever to do with Les Reed.

sounds like your assessment of Cortese

The basic premise of the club is we can buy cheaper players to replace our better players. The arrogance that we can buy better than any other club is sheer arrogance. Les answers only to Kat. His failure to sign a central defender while he let Jose leave and knew VVD had a serious injury is something that should put his position in doubt but as Kat wants out there is no other option .

Les will drive the car till it crashes and will be replaced when new owners realise he is a ****

its strange that we have a reputation of finding gems but its all over the internet etc that we r going to buy XYZ and it takes ages for us to bring them in, Surely in that time other clubs are alerted and yu would think they would try and get the player instead.

We should be looking to the future. How long do the Les Miserables on here want us to keep their failed Charlton manager hero for? Until he's 70? For the rest of his life? Reed wasn't prepared to extend Fonte's contract, and the Les Miserables said he was right because his performance this season had dropped off. So, why should we extend his? Reed's performance this year has been very poor and there is no reason to think his decline will be reversed as he gets even older.

IMO Reed has just fallen into the same trap as Rupert Lowe in that he has started believing his own hype. All the masturbatory newspaper articles after every good run strike scary similarities. I expect Reed was creaming himself at the thought of a youngster seamlessly filling Fontes shoes and then being flogged for a massive profit in the summer so he can write another piece in the Mail about our magical black box and amazing set up.

I expect he has a very good centre back lined up who fits his criteria (young, relatively cheap looking for a stepping stone club) who will be available in the summer who we can flog next year and make a profit. That's fine if we were safe from relegation and had nothing to play for but Reed believing his own "southampton Way" bull**** has probably cost us a chance of silverware and may cost us our Premier League status.

Sometimes in football you just have to bite the bullet and stump up the cash. We needed a centre back desperately - that was the bottom line.

What the fook does Reed have to do other than identifying new recruits, and recruiting them. Thats it. He knew since September that Fonte wanted out, so you would have thought he had someone else lined up!! But no. HE fooked up with the Alderweireld loan and fooked up appointing Puel, and now he's looked up again. He has become a liability. Get rid.

You could always text or email your post to the club, I'm sure it would make a massive difference to the club and Claude Puel himself. Honestly, do it.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

You've got it - good idea eh..?

From a PR perspective he has had an utter mare. To state what he did about Fonte and then to do the opposite has massively harmed his credibility

I refuse to join the witchhunt on the basis of 1 bad year after a significant number of good one - however I have to agree with this.

We should be looking to the future. How long do the Les Miserables on here want us to keep their failed Charlton manager hero for? Until he's 70? For the rest of his life? Reed wasn't prepared to extend Fonte's contract, and the Les Miserables said he was right because his performance this season had dropped off. So, why should we extend his? Reed's performance this year has been very poor and there is no reason to think his decline will be reversed as he gets even older.

Les Miserables, brilliant, really just brilliant...! No, really....

Ffs, I missed this, for once in a very long time I partly agree with you.

All credit to you for being the eternal optimist but Puel is part of the big blunder, not all of it, that sits with Reed.

Puels approach is too negative, coupled with the fact that he was ok with handing over many usual manager responsibilities to Reed, this tells me he is not up to the job. Also probably the reason why other managers with better pedigrees did'nt.

I like Les Reed. He said hello to me outside St Mary's once when I was going to the ticket office and stopped to talk about football for 5 minutes.

The scenes after the game yesterday with idiot, foulmouthed fans ragging off at him are totally out of order. These people have absolutely no idea what's going on at the club but they think it's ok to shout in the face of club officials because we are in a bad run of form? Complete and utter morons. What do they think will happen? That Les Reed will get back to his office and think "you know what, those drunk, middle aged men with replica shirts fitted tightly over their wobbling pot bellies are right. I'm useless."

Is it his fault that the CB we had lined up got injured? Or that the club of the other one we agreed a fee for significantly bumped up the price when Van Dijk got injured? That was the reason we were trying to keep the extent of his injury quiet, but no, it leaked out and the other club tried to shaft us.

So he didn't lie. We were in a position to replace Fonte. We had a fee agreed with one club, and a loan option as back up. Both fell through at the last minute. But yeah, crack on lads, he's clearly a clueless idiot with no idea of how to run a football club and you all know better.

He's a troll because he happens to have a different point of view to you? For heaven's sake grow up, it is quite obvious from this thread that it is you that is in the minority. Surely you are more worthy of the tag of being a troll for rabble rousing by personally attacking another person rather than counter their point of view by persuasive argument.

I happen to agree with the OP, the buck stops at Reed's desk, he handled the transfer window very badly and has placed the club in jeopardy as a result. That would get you, me and anybody else on here the sack immediately. I have watched Saints since time began, change has been the only constant.

He is a Troll because he keeps posting the same stuff over and over and over again. It has nothing to do him having a different viewpoint. Perhaps you should do dome growing up

He is a Troll because he keeps posting the same stuff over and over and over again. It has nothing to do him having a different viewpoint. Perhaps you should do dome growing up

At last someone else has pointed out what trolling is, just one thing to add, why is it allowed to continue??

I like Les Reed. He said hello to me outside St Mary's once when I was going to the ticket office and stopped to talk about football for 5 minutes.

The scenes after the game yesterday with idiot, foulmouthed fans ragging off at him are totally out of order. These people have absolutely no idea what's going on at the club but they think it's ok to shout in the face of club officials because we are in a bad run of form? Complete and utter morons. What do they think will happen? That Les Reed will get back to his office and think "you know what, those drunk, middle aged men with replica shirts fitted tightly over their wobbling pot bellies are right. I'm useless."

Is it his fault that the CB we had lined up got injured? Or that the club of the other one we agreed a fee for significantly bumped up the price when Van Dijk got injured? That was the reason we were trying to keep the extent of his injury quiet, but no, it leaked out and the other club tried to shaft us.

So he didn't lie. We were in a position to replace Fonte. We had a fee agreed with one club, and a loan option as back up. Both fell through at the last minute. But yeah, crack on lads, he's clearly a clueless idiot with no idea of how to run a football club and you all know better.

Whilst I appreciate the quality of this post I don't agree with it. I work in the City on a lot of relatively high profile "deals". I don't claim to know much about the football business world but what I do know is that you should absolutely never put yourself in a position where you get caught out on deadline day. Whilst he may not have foreseen what happened he should not, as a premier

League director of football, have allowed himself to be caught out with no time to rectify the situation. The fact he has been caught out so brutally will always attach criticism and, Imo, justifiably so.

Edited by James

Whilst I appreciate the quality of this post I don't agree with it. I work in the City on a lot of relatively high profile "deals". I don't claim to know much about the football business world but what I do know is that you should absolutely never put yourself in a position where you get caught out on deadline day. Whilst he may not have foreseen what happened he should not, as a premier

League director of football, allowed himself to be caught out with no time to rectify the situation. The fact he has been caught out so brutally will always attach criticism and, Imo, justifiably so.

Agree with this.

I like Les but in this case he has to take criticism, he misled the fans and utterly cocked up what should have been straightforward.

I'm sorry but I do not accept the "we just got unlucky at the last minute" excuse. For these reasons:

a) we supposedly plan windows in advance, therefore we should have been ready to move early in the window. West Ham United, for example, signed their centre back target on 20th January, 11 days before the deadline. Absolutely no reason at all we should be still dithering about on the last day and wasting time that day signing yet another third choice keeper instead.

And/or

b) If and when things went wrong - target player gets injured, current first team centre back gets injured, other team jacks up price - all of that is easily managable. That all happens on deadline day. No problem. You quietly put down the phone to the agent telling you the deal is dead calmly and simply. You then turn to Jose Fonte, sat waiting for his Uber to take him to East London and say "sorry Jose, the deal's off, you're staying to help us for five more months". Simple.

What happened in the window was an unquestionable and pretty much unforgivable utter fu ck up. There are no excuses. Scattergun West Ham United can sign a European Championship winning centre back with 11 days to spare and we can do nothing in two entire windows.

Absolute joke.

Edited by CB Fry

League director of football, have allowed himself to be caught out with no time to rectify the situation. The fact he has been caught out so brutally will always attach criticism and, Imo, justifiably so.

True. He should've had a plan B. Not to mention plans C and D. And E and F as well. There's no way the window should've shut without bringing in a half-decent CB.

Agree with this.

I like Les but in this case he has to take criticism, he misled the fans and utterly cocked up what should have been straightforward.

I'm sorry but I do not accept the "we just got unlucky at the last minute" excuse. For these reasons:

a) we supposedly plan windows in advance, therefore we should have been ready to move early in the window. West Ham United, for example, signed their centre back target on 20th January, 11 days before the deadline. Absolutely no reason at all we should be still dithering about on the last day and wasting time that day signing yet another third choice keeper instead.

And/or

b) If and when things went wrong - target player gets injured, current first team centre back gets injured, other team jacks up price - all of that is easily managable. That all happens on deadline day. No problem. You quietly put down the phone to the agent telling you the deal is dead calmly and simply. You then turn to Jose Fonte, sat waiting for his Uber to take him to East London and say "sorry Jose, the deal's off, you're staying to help us for five more months". Simple.

What happened in the window was an unquestionable and pretty much unforgivable utter fu ck up. There are no excuses. Scattergun West Ham United can sign a European Championship winning centre back with 11 days to spare and we can do nothing in two entire windows.

Absolute joke.

Word. No one can credibly say anything else. Let's hope we get Caceres.

Problem is arrogance. Like we are better and more intelligent then the rest. It's embarrassing.

I don't recall him saying we are better and more intelligent than the rest, just that we have a way of operating that works for us. We are also working for the long term rather than the short term, a point that seems to be lost on the knee jerk reactionaries. Many people said a good cup run and a mid table finish would be fine this year. We are having a good cup run and could well finish mid table, but hey, let's sack Reed and Puel anyway.

Oh dear God! Just seen this on FB. Are the crazies out or what?

"From a serious reliable source, Giggs has been seen at the Meon Valley Marriott with Reed around 1600 today, interesting..... thoughts on Giggs?"

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If true Reed has seriously lost the plot. Giggs would be a crap centre half.

To summarise:

1. The Alderweireld screw up. Yes, he (Alderweireld) was hardly blameless, but Reed was naive in the extreme in that fiasco.

2. Not bringing in a decent back-up GK 2 years ago when we had a real shot for a top 4 finish.

3. Not replacing Pele and Mane properly. In particular not getting in a decent goal scorer probably cost us EL progress, not to mention a shitload of points in the league (we wouldn't be looking over our shoulders like we are now)

4. Not replacing Big Vic. We've got very lucky (so far) that Romeu has stepped up, and most importantly not got injured or suspended. But that could still happen, and with our record that wouldn't be a surprise.

5. Eric ****ing Black. I mean, WTF?

6. And of course, the current CB cluster****.

Edited by Dark Munster
Added no. 5