Boufal

spyinthesky

Just goes to show how much top level football is in the mind and decision making.

Eden Hazard being the classic example, has all the same technical attributes that Boufal has but his decision making is 10x better. If I was on the saints coaching staff I'd seriously sit him down and show him a load of clips of Hazard and tell him that's the player he should model himself on.

Wouldnt be so quick to blame Puel. Boufal has a massive attitude problem which was displayed after the game, where he let a lot of people down.

Young and talented but this guy obviously avoided the black box 'down to earth' setting.

Hopefully he'll learn quickly, otherwise he'll be shown the door.

We still had the "Osvaldo" filters saved whilst searching for him.

TBF, a google search told me he was talented but had attitude last summer.

We still had the "Osvaldo" filters saved whilst searching for him.

TBF, a google search told me he was talented but had attitude last summer.

I posted about his reputation before he signed.

Got the normal "negative post" reaction from the happies

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57004-Sofiane-Boufal-DONE-DEAL&p=2389515#post2389515

• 3 weeks later...

Last night, what the hell was going on in his head, at times he was just stood there motionless like a shop dummy!

He really does himself no favours and almost encourages us to critisise him, frankly he's embarrassing especially when compared to the effort show by JWP.

We have a wonderfully skilful player on our books with Boufal. Supporters need to give this young player some time. We can never know the impact for someone of his age moving abroad - money does not make any difference sometimes - and the general consensus from pundits and ex players is about 6 months to settle but some will take longer and given his injury he deserves a full pre season and to be judged through next season.

Like Redmond we have 2 very talented attacking players.If we could add Sigurdsen to those two behind Gabbiadini/Austin/New striker it could be very exciting!!!

I thought he came on and did what you'd want him to, he impacted the game and opened the space up. Seemed to pick the right passes when in the number 10 position to get us wide, and it almost worked.

Don't think he did anything to warrant criticism last night, he's had plenty of worse cameos.

I don't see why people are always so quick to criticise any players close to 'flair' players that we seem to have! Did fine last night, seemed to look for the pass quicker than he usually does. One thing he does need to cut out of his game however is the petulance.

Reece, I can tell you why I did it, but cannot speak for others.

Don't get me wrong, I like him as a player, and I like the quick feet. Sure he loses the ball quite a lot, but in past games he tries hard to win it back, quite often succeeding. But last night when the ball was lost, he didn't try to get it back. Just stood there doing nothing.

I thought he came on and did what you'd want him to, he impacted the game and opened the space up. Seemed to pick the right passes when in the number 10 position to get us wide, and it almost worked.

Don't think he did anything to warrant criticism last night, he's had plenty of worse cameos.

This

There is no doubt he has ability, I think he knows he had the ability. Obviously the down time he had following surgery at the end of last season has not helped, and I think the petulance is more as a result of frustration with himself not doing what he knows he can do, sensed more recently that maybe he is trying a little too hard.

The time to really start judging him will be after a full pre season and a few games next season.

I thought he did very well when he came on - I remember 4 separate occasions he got the ball in the centre circle and ran right at the centre of the Man U defence before realising the only pass on was to the right wing, where we proceeded to do the usual, overplay it and Man U cleared. Anyone criticising that performance just wasn't watching. He's also cut down on the biggest problem he had previously as well, which was overenthusiasm to get involved and almost chase the ball sometimes when we had players already in those positions - to that end the standing still in space was a good thing. He ran when he was meant to.

I will accept that his one shot was pants, though that hardly makes him stand out.

Harsh to criticize him for yesterday. Did some good moves and passes. Shame that people jump on his back already..

Not having a go at you, but I note you posted at 8.47pm last night so presume you weren't at the game. Maybe the cameras didn't show him off the ball.

I thought he did very well when he came on - I remember 4 separate occasions he got the ball in the centre circle and ran right at the centre of the Man U defence before realising the only pass on was to the right wing, where we proceeded to do the usual, overplay it and Man U cleared. Anyone criticising that performance just wasn't watching. He's also cut down on the biggest problem he had previously as well, which was overenthusiasm to get involved and almost chase the ball sometimes when we had players already in those positions - to that end the standing still in space was a good thing. He ran when he was meant to.

I will accept that his one shot was pants, though that hardly makes him stand out.

That's patent bull's hit. I think it justifiable to criticise his off ball laziness. He just stood there on more than one occasion watching the game go by. Anyone who says otherwise "just wasn't watching".

Has the ability to beat two or three players with absolute ease, which he did once or twice last night. Does have a tendency however to want to do it too deep. He will however, not be given time to adapt and improve, he is exactly the sort of player that fans love to hate unfortunately. We could have a brilliant player on our hands who is capable of turning games on their head, something we have been crying out for all season to make something out of the nice football we play up until the final third. But there's a good chance he won't be given the chance to be that player.

Agree with this and post on not judging a young player so soon into his career in a foreign country

Players like Boufal will ALWAYS give the ball away more than players like Romeu

I always get the feeling that he tries too hard, but right now is ultimately falling short.

Like in a school report, you have your grade and you have a commitment.

If 1 was someone really committed and trying and in school always put their hands up etc, and 4 was the lazy one then...

I'd give him a B1.

Actually to be fair initially he seemed pretty lazy at closing down and not chasing back, but later in the game he was actually doing it quite a lot, at one point he started an attack doing it.

At a guess he might have been annoyed at the booing when he came on.

He definitely looks comfortable playing that no.10 role and it means we get some closer to the lone striker.

• 3 months later...

Still a bit angry from last night, however just like Clasie it has to be pretty obvious that he does not fit in with the English game (I was sat by the dugout and really had to bite my tongue at the final whistle).

I wish him no ill, however if a French team made an offer for him I'd cut our loses and let him leave, I really don't think his awareness and defending will improve.

Still a bit angry from last night, however just like Clasie it has to be pretty obvious that he does not fit in with the English game (I was sat by the dugout and really had to bite my tongue at the final whistle).

I wish him no ill, however if a French team made an offer for him I'd cut our loses and let him leave, I really don't think his awareness and defending will improve.

Surely, he should be played as the man just off the striker (gabbi)

Him being stuck out wide is ridiculous. However, 2 managers (so far) have seen it best to put him there!

We don't seem to have much luck with these number 10 types. But personally, with Lemina and Romeu in the central area, I'd be tempted to give him a free role - just go and do the business. I think his game is limited if he's stuck to a specific position or asked to track back. That's not saying he shouldn't do that, but those sort of players need a more fluid role in the side imo.

Must be just me then. Whilst I admit he was responsible for some "lazy" passing last night (then again who wasn't?) I also saw some very good close control and some excellent passes threaded through the Wolves defence. In fact when looking at this forum at half time last night one or two people had him down as one of our best players in the first half. I am not saying that he is the finished article but in my opinion he needs to be used properly and have a good run in the team. He is certainly not the liability that a lot make out.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

... I also saw some very good close control and some excellent passes threaded through the Wolves defence...

The best description is that he 'flatters to deceive', there were moments but nothing more than that, watching him box himself into a corner again and again was so painful :(

I'd rather he start every week and play himself into good form, and just drop Tadic. Tadic has played more bad games in the last year than Boufal has made appearances.

I don't think Tadic has played well since Koeman left - and the insufferable prima donna hated playing for him. Probably because Ronald wouldn't put up with his crap.

He was supposedly happy to "finally" be playing in his "best position" at 10, under Puel, but he was predictably disappointing and soon started complaining about being substituted all the time for being predictably disappointing.

Frankly, for the one or two good games he might give you per season, he's just not worth it. In my opinion.

We don't seem to have much luck with these number 10 types. But personally, with Lemina and Romeu in the central area, I'd be tempted to give him a free role - just go and do the business. I think his game is limited if he's stuck to a specific position or asked to track back. That's not saying he shouldn't do that, but those sort of players need a more fluid role in the side imo.

For once I agree with you. He also needs games, it's so hard to get a rhythm going when you make occasional forays from the bench. He has skill and has a better attitude to Tadic so I would give him 10 games on the bounce.

• 2 weeks later...

Boufal could be off to Spain (the transfer window is still open there)

http://lionsdelatlas.ma/20965-sofiane-boufal-veut-quitter-southampton-pour-l-espagne

To sum up - Doesn't have confidence in Pellegrino. He promised him playing time but hasn't had it. He's asked his agent to find him another team in another country. Villarreal, Valencia and Sevilla are interested. Saints don't want to sell him. Boufal wants a loan move. Some Ligue 1 clubs were interested but Boufal is refusing to go back to France.

http://lionsdelatlas.ma/20965-sofiane-boufal-veut-quitter-southampton-pour-l-espagne

To sum up - Doesn't have confidence in Pellegrino. He promised him playing time but hasn't had it. He's asked his agent to find him another team in another country. Villarreal, Valencia and Sevilla are interested. Saints don't want to sell him. Boufal wants a loan move. Some Ligue 1 clubs were interested but Boufal is refusing to go back to France.

Would be crazy to loan him out now.

OMG. im like...WTF!!

I would revise my 8/10 to a 6/10 if we let him go (which I highly doubt we will before anyone spazzes out at me)

I know he runs into defenders and he's a bit frustrating but he is the only one to actually try to run at defenders and try to be creative and try to make things happen. Tadic and Redmond play sideways, sideways, backwards crap. He must get a run in the team. He's ball mastery is amazing. I'm certain he could excel with a run in the team. He played most of the preseasons which won't help his mood now. Must be frustrating watching Tadic and Redmond flounce about and not get picked.

Boufal should be starting games IMO. We payed a club record (at the time) for a creative player and we're crying out for creativity. Yes, he can be frustrating but that's possibly due to a lack of consistent game time. Chicken and egg.

Don't start all that again :lol: