Boufal

spyinthesky

Thought he played well but he still over does it at times far to many stupid little back heels to no one that any team better than Everton would have punished us for. We got lucky with some atrocious defending from Everton today as well which helped.

This is the sort of player he is though, he will give the ball away now and again. I don't mind him trying something different as long as it's in the final 3rd of the pitch.

I like him, the run of games has done him good. He doesn’t feel he has to do something wonderful everytime he gets the ball now he’s not having to prove himself over 10 mins a game.

His workrate isn’t too shabby either, he gets back and helps out defensively now which is a good sign.

His unpredictability will sometimes frustrate but it will also win games too.

Also looks like he's got a bit stronger physically than when we first saw him, was doing well against some strong challenges and I think his work rate is really good.

He's always going to do those tricks and flicks, that is the player he is, those will create openings for us, just need to make sure he does them in the opposition third not our third.

Thought he played well but he still over does it at times far to many stupid little back heels to no one that any team better than Everton would have punished us for. We got lucky with some atrocious defending from Everton today as well which helped.

The commentators for today’s game were describing how Pellegrino got up off his seat unhappily for every one of those backheal Boufal moments.

I am very happy that he’s getting his run of games. I hope he fulfills his potential this season.

Best performance in a Saints shirt. Starting to look like a proper player now. Be harder tests than today, but you can only play against whose in front of you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, I think him and Bertrand are developing a decent partnership down the left.

I only saw 1st half and a few bits of 2nd.but he was my man of the match.thought he had an excellent game. I didn't all come off for him but at least he tried different things.he should've won a penalty too.just because he didn't go down shouldn't prevent the pen being given.

they shouldn't be playing the same position though Boufal should be in the middle not out wide where Redmond plays

Exactly, Boufal should be considered as a starter ahead of several of our regular attacking players, not just at the expense of Redmond. Yes, maybe some of the flicks and tricks are overdone at times, but to use a diving (board) analogy, he often performs a pass or a move with a higher degree of difficulty than most others, and that's more likely to lead to goal opportunities, even if there are some turnovers.

Did anyone see that beautiful Rivelino stepover he did in the second half? Perfectly tight, super fast. Just done to wrongfoot the defender and give him an extra second but that bit was magic.

And that pass across to Cedric in the first half. From one wing to the other and curved past the inside of Baines. Sheer beauty.

He also did a lot of work tracking back and covering. For the first time he seemed a proper part of the team.

You said, “hopefully you are too” - seemed a bit unprovoked and unnecessary.

At a guess 90% of his posts are (I appreciate that this post is probably fairly hypocritical). I don't understand why someone would want to spend so much of their spare time making snidy remarks and look to start arguments with other posters on a football forum, rather than discuss and have an opinon on football, but each to their own.

You'll grow to ignore it :lol:

And that pass across to Cedric in the first half. From one wing to the other and curved past the inside of Baines. Sheer beauty.

He also did a lot of work tracking back and covering. For the first time he seemed a proper part of the team.

I've always thought that he does work much harder than people give him credit. He loses the ball quite a bit - which is hardly surprising as he one that runs at players with the ball - but when he does, he works damn hard to get it back.

I liked him being in the centre and having a freer remit to roam. He is the most skillful player we have, so I would give him free rein to do what he likes, although he does tend to gravitate to the wings a bit too much for that. However, that might not be a problem, as our other wingers are seemingly more than happy playing up the middle.

I've always thought that he does work much harder than people give him credit. He loses the ball quite a bit - which is hardly surprising as he one that runs at players with the ball - but when he does, he works damn hard to get it back.

I liked him being in the centre and having a freer remit to roam. He is the most skillful player we have, so I would give him free rein to do what he likes, although he does tend to gravitate to the wings a bit too much for that. However, that might not be a problem, as our other wingers are seemingly more than happy playing up the middle.

He played largely from the left with Tadic in the centre.

A small run in the team is really showing the difference he is able to make. Madness how he was being used as a bit part player. Technically, possibly the most gifted player at the club

I think this is what most, other than a select few, were calling for. By far, ability alone, the best player at the club.

If we can get him anywhere near his full potential, which is a long way off just yet, he could arguably be the best (ability wise) ever player to put on a saints shirt (IMO).

Edited by SKD

I think this is what most, other than a select few, were calling for. By far, ability alone, the best player at the club.

If we can get him anywhere near his full potential, which is a long way off just yet, he could arguably be the best ever player to put on a saints shirt (IMO).

Er..... David Lee?! Huuullllooooooo.

I've been saying it for a while, but he needs to be given a long run in the side, not just a cameo, followed by a start, then dropped if he doesn't shine in that game. Play him week in, week out, rain or shine for 10-15 games. He needs to `feel the love' of a regular place and then we might see what impressed us before we signed him. It looks like that is going to happen, but if he is **** on Tuesday, play him again next weekend. Redmond, Tadic and Long have had their chance.

As I think the kids say, not that I'd know, `he has mad skills', which is not only great fun to watch, but actually might be what we need to unlock some of these rock solid defences.

A few less groans when a trick doesn't work might not go a miss too.

Why spoil the party Doddy with petty mindedness, Boufal was unplayable yesterday and deserves great credit for his performance, he is proving to be a world class player. Who else in our squad has his level of skill? Great to see how he is settling into the squad personally and obviously the more senior and cynical players are beginning to embrace him. Now we must worry about Arsenal, Spurs and Man C scouting him for next summer. Maybe sometimes even our much hated Les gets his sums right. Lemina, Boufal and Hojberg on yesterday's showing won't look to bad on his CV.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate comparing him to Redmond as they are in different class leagues but hard not to compare given it seems to be one or the other.

With Boufal you get genuine skill, attack and hope.

While Redmond just offers bad passing, strops and fouls.

The fact that Redmond has been given 5,000 minutes of football vs Boufals 2,000 this past 18 months needs FBI investigation.

Given a run in the side and as suspected he’s showing he’s one of, if not our best player.

Will only get get better... enjoy him whilst he last here.

He’s class. He’s running into less and less cul de sacs on the pitch, seems to be interacting positively with his teammates and is a real attacking threat. He’s becoming the Saints player I hoped he would be. If Pellegrino refrains from dropping him every other game and he stays healthy, he’ll prove that he’s one of our best if not our best attacking player.

Surely he’s a must start for Palace. Perhaps he didn’t play the full 90 today, with an eye to playing him Tuesday.