Managers to replace Puel

Batman

So we have to pick one to replace Puel, and then one to replace Black as his assistant as well?

Hang on, have you listed Chris Coleman there?

Thread over, if that's the calibre you're looking at :lol:

Chris Coleman lives in Winchester - maybe he posts on here

The club aren't going to replace him. They are trying to look long term and build something he will get this season and next I reckon and the club will give him time and some players he wants and see how it goes. Puel will rightly point out that he has got us to a cup final and that the club failed to get him a CB in Jan. Puel might not be the manger that saints need but saints aren't like Sunderland or Palace who fire and hire regularly any manager here will get a fair crack of the whip.

The club aren't going to replace him. They are trying to look long term and build something he will get this season and next I reckon and the club will give him time and some players he wants and see how it goes. Puel will rightly point out that he has got us to a cup final and that the club failed to get him a CB in Jan. Puel might not be the manger that saints need but saints aren't like Sunderland or Palace who fire and hire regularly any manager here will get a fair crack of the whip.

Err did you just say we aren't a club that hires & fires managers all the time?

19 managers since Gordon Strachan!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

And how many have we fired (as opposed to those that left) since the takeover? no point comparing the club now to one under Lowe and co...

Let's hope he doesn't get too long. The football has been negative and yes although he has got us to a cup final the Europa League Campaign was poor, the FA Cup was poor and has seemed to have shattered confidence with his constant rotation especially the Arsenal game. I bet he has no idea what our best 11 is and we are 35 games + into the season.

Long scores and is rotated and so is Rodriguez. The midfield is constantly changing and you need to form combinations.

One thing making an appointment that is a mistake and the quickest way to recover is to rectify it.

I think the Cheap option has failed.

We need firstly to get in 1 or 2 free agent experienced centre back if we are allowed

Then we need to see a huge change in the style of play

Yes key players getting injured are part of the game

The Centre back situation is in dire need of attention.

When the manager doesn't speak our lingo it's always going to be difficult to adapt.

If CP does go then we need an experienced prem manager in

I'd go for Hoddle to start with

Eric Black was a total strange and poor appointment end of and has to go

and bring back Sammy Lee

Let's hope he doesn't get too long. The football has been negative and yes although he has got us to a cup final the Europa League Campaign was poor, the FA Cup was poor and has seemed to have shattered confidence with his constant rotation especially the Arsenal game. I bet he has no idea what our best 11 is and we are 35 games + into the season.

Long scores and is rotated and so is Rodriguez. The midfield is constantly changing and you need to form combinations.

One thing making an appointment that is a mistake and the quickest way to recover is to rectify it.

I could be wrong but I just don't think the club are looking at it like that.

You're counting the likes of Dean Wilkins and also Dodd/Gorman as two managers not one.

Brilliant.

What we need is someone that can resuscitate an almost lifeless and depressed squad and fanbase.

Someone that can take a bunch of underperforming but ultimately talented squad of players and install some passion, energy and skill.

Perhaps a man that has previously followed in Puels footsteps and improved things instantly?

Lucien Favre

Still counts on our official history I'm afraid

Dean Wilkins is a manager of Southampton in our official history and everything. Of course he is. Does he get a blue plaque over his front door?

What that era has to do with now I have no idea. Why did you start at Strachan and not Chris Nicholl or Ted Bates?

David Wagner at Huddersfield.

Against Brighton the other night they were superb, they pressed them all game, didnt give them a second and played the way we used to under Poch.

Excellent coach, just the sort that would fit Saints criteria.

Should have gone that route in the summer.

Some posters think we are v.special and different to everyone else. The Southampton way blablabla

Puel might not be the manger that saints need but saints aren't like Sunderland or Palace who fire and hire regularly any manager here will get a fair crack of the whip

You have rightly highlighted the volume of managers in the last 12 years and if you go back longer its still the same.

Since turning professional we have had 38 managers, sunderland errr 37! That's managers employed for more than 25 days so discounts Dodd and Wilkins ect

On average Southampton managers get 1172 days Sunderland managers get 1273

Our longest serving manager - Ted Bates 6653 days

Sunderland - Bob Kyle 8248 days

Another Saintsweb myth smashed :)

We are no different to any other club, never have been.

Perhaps only in the tightness of the pockets recently ;)

I think we both said the same about Silva in the summer. Hull are a disaster yet I can see him giving them a chance of staying up. I don't think we will change CP this season so at least Silva is out of contract come the summer.

I don't post too often and only did about Silva having seeing him work wonders in Portugal. In general it is odd to be in first major final for over a decade and feel so meh. It is not a sense of entitlement, it is the sense of some very poor decisions in last year eroding a position that so promising. It seems a lot of people, including me, who would be to the clapper end of the range have now flipped even with one game away from a cup.

Anyway back to finding a ticket for that final anyway!

Some posters think we are v.special and different to everyone else. The Southampton way blablabla

You have rightly highlighted the volume of managers in the last 12 years and if you go back longer its still the same.

Since turning professional we have had 38 managers, sunderland errr 37! That's managers employed for more than 25 days so discounts Dodd and Wilkins ect

On average Southampton managers get 1172 days Sunderland managers get 1273

Our longest serving manager - Ted Bates 6653 days

Sunderland - Bob Kyle 8248 days

Another Saintsweb myth smashed :)

We are no different to any other club, never have been.

Perhaps only in the tightness of the pockets recently ;)

Since the takeover 2009-2010 season (anything before that is irrelevant when discussing the current regimes treatment of mangers)

Palace 14 managers

Saints 6 managers (of which only 2 were sacked)

another Glasgow myth debunked :lol:

He isn't going to be sacked so people should stop wetting their pants at that. Also he's yet to deal with a full squad. Just as we get a threat up front he loses a defence. Poor performance transfer wise by the club this year. We've got to a cup final though and we'll stay up so I'm willing to write this poor performance off as long as it's put right in the summer and next season.

If we were to change Manager now, which we won't, we should be looking at someone for a short term fix who can raise some passion and fight in a group of players to battle for points to avoid relegation and who is used to doing this in English leagues. They're thin on the ground though, and the only one I can think of is Pardew, because he seems to have that immediate new manager effect before mediocrity well and truly sets in!!

Pardew gets a lot of stick but if you look at his last three jobs the only team who has gone upwards since his departure is us. Both Newcastle and Palace have gotten worse, Newcastle went down and the legend that is Fat Sam isn't looking very clever at Palace as yet.

Pardew gets a lot of stick but if you look at his last three jobs the only team who has gone upwards since his departure is us. Both Newcastle and Palace have gotten worse, Newcastle went down and the legend that is Fat Sam isn't looking very clever at Palace as yet.

There are more things at play than just the manager. The fact that Palace still decline is not testimony to Pardew's skills. Could equally say he has left a hopeless squad and bought badly.

I think we both said the same about Silva in the summer. Hull are a disaster yet I can see him giving them a chance of staying up. I don't think we will change CP this season so at least Silva is out of contract come the summer.

I don't post too often and only did about Silva having seeing him work wonders in Portugal. In general it is odd to be in first major final for over a decade and feel so meh. It is not a sense of entitlement, it is the sense of some very poor decisions in last year eroding a position that so promising. It seems a lot of people, including me, who would be to the clapper end of the range have now flipped even with one game away from a cup.

Anyway back to finding a ticket for that final anyway!

Yeah, I think you beat me to the punch about Silva and you've seen his teams first-hand; I only got intrigued a couple of seasons back when he joined Sporting then latterly Olympiakos but I've always been impressed with how his teams have played.

Problem now is that's he gone mainstream by joining Hull so I'm worried he'll have plenty of suitors come the summer... which makes it a bit more difficult to get him here. That said, I believe he was interviewed in the summer, as was Garcia, Pellegrini, Giggs among others.

And we ended up with Claude Puel. FFS

Yeah, I think you beat me to the punch about Silva and you've seen his teams first-hand; I only got intrigued a couple of seasons back when he joined Sporting then latterly Olympiakos but I've always been impressed with how his teams have played.

Problem now is that's he gone mainstream by joining Hull so I'm worried he'll have plenty of suitors come the summer... which makes it a bit more difficult to get him here. That said, I believe he was interviewed in the summer, as was Garcia, Pellegrini, Giggs among others.

And we ended up with Claude Puel. FFS

But why ?

Good post.

I think I'd like a high quality animated Italian or German manager, but I'd settle for Eddie Howe now if on a long term contract.

Puel MUST be sacked - soon rather than later. Saints are in free fall, 7 points above relegation. This isn't funny anymore.

The useless French manager has finally got the team playing his boring football and tactics. And guess what? His one plan game fails anyway!

He has mismanaged key players - our captain Fonte a classic example. His departure has by default destroyed our excellent defence.

He has good players playing his awful - ineffective- system against their own personal qualities. Instead of maximising their potential (and satisfaction) he is ruining their confidence. Jay Rod was poor yesterday- lost in a Puel quagmire of depressing tactics and lack of inspiration.

Don't get me wrong it's not all Puel's fault. Our untouchable owner Katerina has pocketed profits, failed to invest, failed to give Les Reed enough to invest in our Defence, buy a decent attacking midfielder, buy a wanyama replacement and a good second keeper. I reserve judgment on our new Italian striker - but I predict his morale to follow Longy and Jay Rods under Puel.

Les Reed has also screwed up royally. Appointing Puel, losing Koeman, failing to replace Mane, Wanyama. Buying players who are made of glass like Pied and Boufal.

But at the end of the day you can get away with weakened teams if you have a genius general in charge. Koeman provided that. PottyChino provided it, but Les and Katerina let them both down and most of all us - the fans - by selfish weakening of the team. And the ultimate disaster - Puel as manager.

We are imploding- Katerina and Les have ridden their luck - thank you Koeman for the golden days.

Bring on the Chinese(?) - not sure. Partnership with Katerina and Les? Nah.

Time for a clear out top to bottom.

Southampton FC is for sale and can still be saved - but we need to SACK PUEL and keep our best players. They are still good - they need an inspiring manager, we deserve it.

We deserve a new owner too. One who invests for success. And we need one fast.

Finally, we need a clear out and shouldn't be afraid to let our Championship quality leave - Yoshida, Reed, JWP, Clasie, Jay Rod, Redmond, Pied, Boufal - not good enough or not robust enough.

..... and stop playing that awful My Way song st the start of games. It's embarrassing and useless!!!

Rant over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marco silva feels like the one that got away. what he is doing with that hull team is incredible

He has had some good results but I think its a bit early to be getting to excited he has only been in charge for 8 games in all competitions.

For all those talking about Marco Silva now though, please bear in mind Hull have allowed him to bring some replacements in to cover key positions. How would he fare if he'd had our most recent window to contend with? Hypothetical I know, but it has left Puel short changed to say the least.