Martin Caceres Signs - Official

Katalinic

No one think it was a well run window and the cb thing has been a monumental c*ck up which could seriously impact our season. Having said that, there is nothing we can do about it at all other than to sign this bloke and hope it works out. I am annoyed that the club allowed this to happen but won't be moaning at the club for going with the one option now available to them. This makes the most sense given the options available.

You've basically just agreed with my first post.

Good time to bring him in as can have 3/4 weeks to get fit as only one league game still to come in Feb. Give him a good fitness programme and some U23 games and bring him in from March.

No brainer signing even on decent money as no transfer or loan fee. Option for next year too incase he is worth keeping.

He was a very good player but he has been crippled by injuries, is semi-retired and would fail a medical at most clubs ( but not Southampton). However, in the event we can get him fit enough to play a few games before he needs treatment again, and he still has full mobility, he should improve our defence. The fact that he crashed his Ferrari into a bus stop whilst drunk at the wheel suggests he hasn't been taking very good care of himself though.

It will be surprising if he is anywhere near fit enough as the last time he was able to play was more than a year ago. This is what happened to his career before he stopped playing:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/martin-caceres/leistungsdaten/spieler/54935/plus/0?saison=2015

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/martin-caceres/leistungsdaten/spieler/54935/plus/0?saison=2014

He was a very good player but he has been crippled by injuries, is semi-retired and would fail a medical at most clubs ( but not Southampton). However, in the event we can get him fit enough to play a few games before he needs treatment again, and he still has full mobility, he should improve our defence. The fact that he crashed his Ferrari into a bus stop whilst drunk at the wheel suggests he hasn't been taking very good care of himself though.

It will be surprising if he is anywhere near fit enough as the last time he was able to play was more than a year ago. This is what happened to his career before he stopped playing:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/martin-caceres/leistungsdaten/spieler/54935/plus/0?saison=2015

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/martin-caceres/leistungsdaten/spieler/54935/plus/0?saison=2014

Apart from he has just passed a rigorous medical at Milan. Are you just going to whinge whatever the club do?

Wikipedia tells me the drink driving incident was late 2015, he's played since then. It could be the only time he's ever ingested alcohol in his life for all we know.

Apparently, he did also pass the medical at Milan who were once famed for their sports science department (credited for allowing Maldini to play until 40+):

Talking to Mediaset Premium ahead of AC Milan’s home clash against Sampdoria, Galliani has confirmed that Caceres won’t be joining AC Milan.

“I can confirm that he will not be joining us. Our offer was not in line with his requests and could not manage to reach an economic agreement. He had successful medical but that was not enough. I can only wish him good luck for the future.”

http://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/breaking-free-agent-defender-snubs-ac-milan-transfer-considers-m-39844

I'm not grumbling. I'm stating a fact you helmet.

Why is there no use grumbling?

What an utter tool you are! You've literally just contradicted yourself. Asking why there is no use in grumbling and then saying you aren't doing it! Only on saintsweb can someone essentially agree with you and end up insulting you because they can't actually grasp what was posted...

You posted several times suggesting that Always should be banned permantly. And you call me a liar!!

I wasn't "trying to get him banned" soggy I was giving an opinion. Attempting to get someone banned would involve lobbying the mods, not that I would be that lame or that I could be bothered to try. I know you have difficulty with understanding.

Put him on ignore mate, i have and he can talk to himself

I know mate, you've mentioned it in about 4 posts today, even going to the trouble of starting a new thread that mentions me. Seems slightly pointless to stick me on ignore if you're just going to keep talking about me.

Edited by hypochondriac

The player is in a very strong position to demand big wages. Wonder how that will go...

Les, you need to pull this one off, big time

Is he though? The Express report that Milan offered him £4k basic and £21k per appearance, so roughly £25kpw. Which he turned down, presumably on the chance of earning more over here. If we offer him £40k final offer and he turns it down, what does he do? Sit on his a*se for the rest of the season and have even more time out of the game when he tries to negotiate a deal in the summer?

Is he though? The Express report that Milan offered him £4k basic and £21k per appearance, so roughly £25kpw. Which he turned down, presumably on the chance of earning more over here. If we offer him £40k final offer and he turns it down, what does he do? Sit on his a*se for the rest of the season and have even more time out of the game when he tries to negotiate a deal in the summer?

Goes to Sunderland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wikipedia tells me the drink driving incident was late 2015, he's played since then. It could be the only time he's ever ingested alcohol in his life for all we know.

Unlikely. And on the other hand, collecting two drink driving convictions is virtually pathognomonic of alcoholism. So is he a teetotaller who got unlucky or a hopeless old soak? Probably neither, but it is hardly a glowing reference.

Unlikely. And on the other hand, collecting two drink driving convictions is virtually pathognomonic of alcoholism. So is he a teetotaller who got unlucky or a hopeless old soak? Probably neither, but it is hardly a glowing reference.

Yet we all carried on cheering Beattie, Fernandes and Guly (there may be more, but those 3 spring to mind more readily). But hey, beat him down before he has even kicked a ball for us. Makes sense

Yet we all carried on cheering Beattie, Fernandes and Guly (there may be more, but those 3 spring to mind more readily). But hey, beat him down before he has even kicked a ball for us. Makes sense

All 3 were rightly censured on here.

I repeat, it's hardly a glowing reference, a drink-driving conviction after crashing into a bus stop, is it? People, families and children congregate and wait around at bus stops.

I can't seen any reference to another drink driving conviction, but yes I wasn't genuinely suggesting it to be the only time he'd ever had a drink before. As someone below me points out, plenty of them have done it, if we ruled out new signings on the basis of their moral compass I think we'd find it very difficult.

I can't seen any reference to another drink driving conviction, but yes I wasn't genuinely suggesting it to be the only time he'd ever had a drink before. As someone below me points out, plenty of them have done it, if we ruled out new signings on the basis of their moral compass I think we'd find it very difficult.

I agree, but it is all part of the due diligence when weighing up a signing - character and application and conscientiousness play a part as well as footballing talent. We are usually quite good at it, the odd slip aside (Osvaldo!). But we may need to make allowances and take risks on this guy that we wouldn't ordinarily do, given the hole we are in at the back.

Indeed, he has all the hallmarks of a typical January panic signing!

Signs, gets fit, gets MOTM keeping Ibrahimovic quiet in the cup final.

Tis the dream.

Signs, gets crocked first game because he's not fit. takes wages to end of season, leaves, joins "x" becomes one of the players of the 2017/18 PL season - tis the nightmare

You do realise Milan have no where near our financial clout? They aren't what they once were at all, as mentioned above

They may not, but we have a self enforced budget that we won't be going over. His last club was Juve and he's getting towards the end of his career so more than possible he's demanding upwards of £100k a week on a long deal.