Martin Caceres Signs - Official

Katalinic

Except Latin American Spanish they don't pronounce C or Z as 'TH' as they do in Spain. Given the accent is on the a, I'd say it's most likely KA-ser-ess (as opposed to ka-SAIR-ess).

I am no Spanish scholar but my rudimentary 40 year old O level seems to tell me it might be Tha-K-eres?

and? They IMO had no intention of replacing Fonte in Jan. That's not to say the club didn't have an idea of who they want to replace him only that they didn't think they could or (perhaps needed to) replace him in Jan instead of the summer. With Gardos coming back to provided cover my bet is the club planned to wait until the summer to bring in Fonte's replacement in

When VVD got injured the whole situation changed and the had 10 days to get in a replacement in. The CBs we were linked with where short term loans which pretty much says to me they weren't looking to bring in Fonte's replacement in Jan other wise they would have had someone lined up.

Like I said the club gambled and got it wrong and they ****ed up.

Intentionally not replacing Fonte is the root of it. Even if VVD hadn't been injured against Leicester we were effectively banking on him staying fit and playing every game for the next 4 months. That is, IMO, a completely ludicrous risk for a PL team to take. In reality we are pretty lucky VVD got crocked when he did, had it happened next month we probably wouldn't even have Caceres available as an option.

£100k a week. Is that the same as Charlie Austin's £100k a week?

Fonte at WHU on a 2.5 year deal.

You need to add the £8m WHU paid for him to get the package price. That is £61,500 on his transfer and then his wage of whatever it is. £60k? More? If £60k, then Fonte is costing WHU £121,500 a week. Re-sale has to be taken into account, but with Fonte, is there any?

Edited by angelman

He hasn't played for a year,when he had a serious Achilles Tendon problem.So you recon he will be fit to play in the Premiership in two weeks?

I don't need a crystal ball to tell me this is a risky move.

I wouldn't imagine he has just been sat on his arse doing took all training wise for the last year. As to a risky move - yes you are right but what else is to be done to resolve the situation we find ourselves in? Nothing? Let me know when you come up with a plausible answer that doesn't involve time traveling backwards?

Ah well.

I figure if he is a free agent, who cost us no upfront fee (that we know of), I'm fine with higher wages.

If he was only on 50k per week for the remaining 20 weeks...we'd save 1 million.

Would I pay a million to have him for the rest of the season? Sure.

It's clearly a panic buy. The club's failure to bring in a quality replacement for Fonte (for whatever reason) has clearly brought us to this juncture. It is a risk but he (hopefully) might turn out to be a gem.

Its a panic buy and also a must buy and will be welcomed as the best option available to us at this time.

Lets hope a.) Caceres does well and b.) The club learns from their **** up.

It's clearly a panic buy. The club's failure to bring in a quality replacement for Fonte (for whatever reason) has clearly brought us to this juncture. It is a risk but he (hopefully) might turn out to be a gem.

Well technically its not a buy ?. But yes of courses its panic rather that than the club do nothing at all.

The club probably thought that Fonte would knuckle down and perform up to his usual standard as Morgan did, once a move didn't happen. They are probably extremely disappointed in his behaviour. After all, him being our captain and stalwart of the club, they expected more of him, and he's made plenty of errors this season that he wasn't making in the last couple of years. He must have been undermining the manager to have sold him in January. The club might well have thought that they had this season to sort out a serious long term replacement, and might well have had someone already lined up for the summer who's not available in January. There is a serious shortage of top class centre backs available. If we had signed Sakho, this would have been called a panic signing by many, seeing he hasn't played for Liverpool for ages and Lovren is the alternative, and previous problems with his attitude.

It seems that there were problems of fitness with other centre backs they looked at. Easy to whinge, but the chances of anyone selling you a top class centre back in January when they can't find a replacement are small. It's probably only because they are causing trouble. Other teams like Bournemouth have been desperate for a central defender, but have had no luck signing one. I think the plan was to give either Yoshida or Stephens the opportunity to play alongside Virgil until the end of the season, and make a decision whether or not either is good enough for the first team. Unfortunately, Virgil's injury put paid to that plan.

Has he been unveiled yet?
He's not going to be unveiled. Les Reed has been feeding the rumors as a stunt to a appease the fans. He's known from the start Careces is a non starter. There are plenty of better center backs unattached who can be signed at once and be ready to play.

When oh when are people going to see through Reeds antics and lies?

Yes, obviously things went wrong, now they are puttiing it right. what's the fuss?

Putting it right means paying over the odds for an injury ravaged player who we wouldn't touch with a barge pole normally ?

Thats not putting it right

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

There are many ways this deal may have been constructed. Likely a mixture of a significant sign on fee with options, basic low weekly wage, bonus for appearances, bonus for win/draw, bonus for clean sheets, bonus for position in league table etc. Adding to £100,000 a week is, however, doubtful. The club do have experience of this type of deal in Charlie Austin

He's not going to be unveiled. Les Reed has been feeding the rumors as a stunt to a appease the fans. He's known from the start Careces is a non starter. There are plenty of better center backs unattached who can be signed at once and be ready to play.

Who are these better CB's that are queuing up and ready to go?

which CB are ready and can be signed?

AS a non UK person - how does this work permit thing usually takes to get it done? The club must have got some kind of - this will be OK - before making a medical right?

It can take a while, but the criteria for the stages of approval are well laid out and based on verifiable stats like % of national appearances, etc. The club will have progressed everything they need to do in the meantime so the delay isn't on them.

FWIW I'm not massively keen on the decision not to sign anyone in the window but I can see why they didn't sign any of the others who were available - and I wouldn't be surprised if Caceres was always part of the fall-back position either. A little too much brinkmanship for our usual approach though.

I don't think there's any doubt they were expecting Fonte to leave but of the obvious targets who were linked, a couple started playing for their clubs and others got injured. Our injury crisis (linked to the hectic schedule, we've played more games, so are far more likely to get contact injuries) is the only reason we're even in the bottom half.

We're still only a 4% likelihood to go down, it's still under 10% even if we lose on Saturday. A win drops us to 1%.

Well seeing as I'm not a proffessional recruiter of footballers I can't answer that .

But ok , this guy is the absolute best available CB in the world right now . All hail Les for making this happen !!

He is. Transfermarkt has him at about 4 times the value of any other out of contract CB (Forren was 3rd on that list).

Whether he's a better option than those signed by other Prem clubs in the window (or others who we'll have been tracking who we'd have needed to throw money at) is a different matter.

This guy is the absolute best CB available right now ? I doubt it very much . He is available for a reason .

To be fair he's probably the best out of contract CB

Given hes (reportedly) fit and ready it seems sensible to pick him up

Hopefully this will be a wake up call for Les. I have emailed him the 7 Ps

Well seeing as I'm not a proffessional recruiter of footballers I can't answer that .

But ok , this guy is the absolute best available CB in the world right now . All hail Les for making this happen !!

He's the best available free agent I believe and since we can only sign them......

As Doddisalegend said, it's not the sale of Fonte that is the issue, the club clearly thought that was covered my Yoshida and Stephens, but the injury to VvD. They should have paid out the extra that Hoffenhiem wanted and got their man instead of all this utter BS shambles.

Reed has well and truly fu_cked up.

This guy is the absolute best CB available right now ? I doubt it very much . He is available for a reason.

in fairness if we wasn't riddled with injuries, he'd probably still be at Juve.

Even if we only get 7 or 8 games out of him, he's a massive upgrade on what we currently have as back up at CB and RB.

Whilst it is massively a panic buy, it could turn out to be an astute bit of business (as long as he can stay off the treatment table).

The club probably thought that Fonte would knuckle down and perform up to his usual standard as Morgan did, once a move didn't happen. They are probably extremely disappointed in his behaviour. After all, him being our captain and stalwart of the club, they expected more of him, and he's made plenty of errors this season that he wasn't making in the last couple of years. He must have been undermining the manager to have sold him in January. The club might well have thought that they had this season to sort out a serious long term replacement, and might well have had someone already lined up for the summer who's not available in January. There is a serious shortage of top class centre backs available. If we had signed Sakho, this would have been called a panic signing by many, seeing he hasn't played for Liverpool for ages and Lovren is the alternative, and previous problems with his attitude.

It seems that there were problems of fitness with other centre backs they looked at. Easy to whinge, but the chances of anyone selling you a top class centre back in January when they can't find a replacement are small. It's probably only because they are causing trouble. Other teams like Bournemouth have been desperate for a central defender, but have had no luck signing one. I think the plan was to give either Yoshida or Stephens the opportunity to play alongside Virgil until the end of the season, and make a decision whether or not either is good enough for the first team. Unfortunately, Virgil's injury put paid to that plan.

Blimey. You will get persecuted like hell for putting out a sensible opinion on here but you sum the facts up very succinctly.

Next year we could (should IMO) have 4 class CB's in our squad....

Starting Place

New (Fonte replacement) & New (VVD replacement)

Bench

Caceres & Yoshida

All will then be forgotten about this window :D

Think we should have a go for Nathan Ake not sure if he is available or not but reckon he'd be a good fit for saints.

Think we should have a go for Nathan Ake not sure if he is available or not but reckon he'd be a good fit for saints.

Could be summer 2017 move as long as we stay up. VVD is gone but might be difficult to get Bertrand to stay without some major early signings.

The 100k a week comes from the Milan story. They probably just threw a random high number of there so they didn't look bad. Don't believe it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Adam Blackmore on twitter suggesting it's nearer £45k than £100k. Seems to be more in our price range.

Adam Blackmore on twitter suggesting it's nearer £45k than £100k. Seems to be more in our price range.

With £100m worth of reasons to stay up, 3-4 clean sheets will do the trick and hopefully some organisation and experience would contribute to that. £45k a week is well worth a gamble but if helped us win half-a-dozen games, even £100k a week is cheap at the price. If he gets he snapped by Chelsea etc in the summer, he'll have done a valuable job.

He's the best available free agent I believe and since we can only sign them......

As Doddisalegend said, it's not the sale of Fonte that is the issue, the club clearly thought that was covered my Yoshida and Stephens, but the injury to VvD. They should have paid out the extra that Hoffenhiem wanted and got their man instead of all this utter BS shambles.

Reed has well and truly fu_cked up.

I think the sale of Fonte is the issue. He should not have been sold without a replacement having been secured. Unless, for reasons of which I'm unaware, Fonte's position at the club became untenable, then it should not have been beyond the wit of LR and the coaching staff to have managed Fonte's situation. A few extra months on his contract and Puel could have had him onside as his captain. I doubt we'd have lost to West Ham had he been on our side rather than their's. Weakening our team and strengthening a rival's is absurd and we got the inevitable outcome on Saturday.

That was my take on it but then Bournemouth bid for him in the window. If VVD goes to Chelsea in the summer maybe we can reach an agreement?

There was something posted during the transfer window that Chelsea had first refusal on VVD no idea if true or where came from but Ake for VVD plus plenty of £s.??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk