Sunderland - Meltdown Warmup Thread

Lighthouse

Home banker.

Where once we had Fonte and Van Dijk we have Yoshida and Stephens.

Where once we had Wanyama and Schneiderlin we have Ward Prowse and Romeu

Where once we had Pelle and Mane we have Rodriguez and Redmond.

We've gone all in with a pair of 8s and are hoping 3 players have got less than that.

What you forget conveniently is that all of these players were relative unknown's when they came to us and we got hold of them because nobody else wanted them! We made them into desirable commodities. Who's to say we won't do so again.

We are going to win and win big today even 4-0 will not be a surprise.

#SaintsFC team to face #SAFC: Forster, Cédric, Stephens, Yoshida, Bertrand, Romeu, Davis ©, Ward-Prowse, Tadić, Redmond, Gabbiadini.

Safe to assume the Bertrand at CB possibility isn't going to happen at all then !

Have to feel sorry for Shane Long as well, hits a bit of goal scoring form and gets benched !

i just don't get this manager I'm afraid.

Ward-Prowse starts again - if I was Hojbjerg I'd be looking elsewhere.

JWP has played better than Hojbjerg recently

As for Long - apart from scoring the goal at Swansea, he was anonymous for most of that game. He's better when we will be playing on the counter attack - we will probably be dominating possession for large periods of this match.

Ward-Prowse starts again - if I was Hojbjerg I'd be looking elsewhere.

Why? PEH has been no better than JWP this season. If anything JWP has earned his place in the side, especially recently. PEH will come good but probably late this season/early next.

I'd encourage him to

I'm not a fan of JWP, but after a bit of initial promise Hojberg has been no better than him. He shouldn't be looking elsewhere, he shold try to perform when he gets the chance.

About time Tadic had a decent game. Our front 3 is a bit of a lottery every week under Puel, but I have a feeling it might work today.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Why? PEH has been no better than JWP this season. If anything JWP has earned his place in the side, especially recently. PEH will come good but probably late this season/early next.

I'll give you two areas where PEH is better, though it's true, his form has dipped. PEH provides a degree of coverage for Romeu that JWP cannot or doesn't. Hojbjerg is capable of driving runs into attacking areas; JWP never does - he lays off a safe pass and then runs into the box. Have a good look; that's what he does. I hope Prowsey has a blinder and scores a brace in a winning side; but apart from the occasional game he hasn't been better than Hojbjerg, and our midfield overall looks to be a real point of weakness.

I'm not a fan of JWP, but after a bit of initial promise Hojberg has been no better than him. He shouldn't be looking elsewhere, he shold try to perform when he gets the chance.

About time Tadic had a decent game. Our front 3 is a bit of a lottery every week under Puel, but I have a feeling it might work today.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yeah sorry that probably came across wrong looking back at it - I meant i'd encourage Hojbjerg to look elsewhere because i don't think he's very good!

As above, Prowse above Hojbjerg is perfectly understandable. He's starting to actually make himself available in advanced positions (as opposed to his previous half-hearted arms out stance when he's not even unmarked), and taking first time shots - I get the impression he's less 'afraid' of the ball/risk taking. Not to mention the increased physicality which has been present all season.

As for the subs bench, I like the dropping of a second CM in favour of an AM/FWD.

I'll give you two areas where PEH is better, though it's true, his form has dipped. PEH provides a degree of coverage for Romeu that JWP cannot or doesn't. Hojbjerg is capable of driving runs into attacking areas; JWP never does - he lays off a safe pass and then runs into the box. Have a good look; that's what he does. I hope Prowsey has a blinder and scores a brace in a winning side; but apart from the occasional game he hasn't been better than Hojbjerg, and our midfield overall looks to be a real point of weakness.

How many games has prowse played for us?

Simply does not offer enough to justify a place in the engine room of the side.

I put him in the same category as Jermaine Wright, who used to play a lot without knowing exactly why.

Agree with most of this, but he's also been giving the ball away a lot recently, getting dispossessed and his shooting has been terrible. Seems like a confidence issue to me as he was much better when he first came here. He could do with a run of games, hopefully he'll get them later in the season.

AB just said Cacares is pronounced "Ca-tha-res". I think this is incorrect. They don't do the c as th in Latin America.

Correct. It should be KA-ser-ez, with the emphasis on the first syllable. The other difference is that in Argentina/Uruguay (in addition to the s/th difference in all Latin America) they pronounce a double L as a 'zh'/'jh' instead of a Y as they do in Spain, Peru, Mexico etc. Which is why everyone calls the Leicester striker Leo Uzjhoa. But obviously that's not relevant for Caceres...