Who is your favourite Saints player?

Nordic Saint

The turnover of our best players is so rapid now that I don't have any favourite players. In the past, they included Channon, Le Tissier, Lambert, Lallana, Mane, Wanyama and Fonte. I'm reluctant to still think too much of van Dijk as a Saints player because it is possible he has already played his last game for us before being sold in the summer. I guess one I hope will join that list is Josh Sims if he isn't sold as soon as he becomes a first team regular. I understand that the revolving door policy helps the club make money but it really weakens the bond between fans and players. I also feel the same way about the team. I knew who the Saints teams of previous decades were and could name the early 70s, late 70s or early 80s elevens, for example. But, when I look back on the past 5 years, I'll just remember a mass of players in transit. You really need a core of players to be together for a minimum of 5 years to have a team you'll remember. The support at St Mary's is coming under increasing criticism, even though we still fill the stadium but I guess many fans feel the same way as I do and find it hard to identify with the players and team, knowing that they are just passing through here in transit. I went to the 1979 League Cup final and supported 'my team' and I knew very well who they all were as they'd mostly been with us for years. But, I don't even know who'll be playing for us in this year's EFL Cup Final. I'll still be vocal in my support but I don't feel the same bond that I used to.

We even now have a new breed of fans who have a favourite owner and director of football but actively dislike the players and when they are sold don't seem to have a word to say for any of them. I don't agree that this is because all footballers are greedy. They have always been relatively well paid compared to the rest of us but if their job were that easy then anyone could do it. There's not much point watching a sport if you don't like any of the players.

The turnover of our best players is so rapid now that I don't have any favourite players.......

There's not much point watching a sport if you don't like any of the players.

Some people really need to find different ways of letting their thoughts out.....especially the pointless ones which all of your posts are.

Boufal is very exciting to watch from what I've seen so far and could quickly turn into a fan favourite with a run of games, but personally my current pick would have to be Romeu. He's talented, works incredibly hard, and doesn't have a hint of arrogance about him.

Boufal is very exciting to watch from what I've seen so far and could quickly turn into a fan favourite with a run of games, but personally my current pick would have to be Romeu. He's talented, works incredibly hard, and doesn't have a hint of arrogance about him.

Yes, I'm growing to like Romeu too. At first he just seemed to be a fringe squad player but now he plays a really pivotal role in the team and it does seem that he is here to stay.

Difficult one. VVD definitely. Romeu is a good shout. JWP as well (he gets a lot of stick on the forum for his on the field performances) but off the field he seems level-headed and a good chap.

Mouez Hassen and Jérémy Pied have both liked my tweets so I'll say them as well.

Probably Romeu for me too. Good attitude, seems a decent bloke. Good role model for kids. Quite like VVD too.

Also like Shane Long, mostly for his workrate. I would have said the same about JRod a couple of years back, but he doesn't seem the same guy now sadly. I also rate Steven Davis, and I really liked Hojbjerg when he arrived. There must have been a reason!

My kids on the other hand, all three of them, LOVE Boufal. He's their hero.

Weird that you're reluctant to call Van Dijk a "favourite", yet you considered Mane and Wanyama to be.

Feeling fresh and relaxed after your ban pal?

I have a soft spot for Steven Davis and think Ryan Bertrand is more grounded than you'd expect.

Feeling fresh and relaxed after your ban pal?

I have a soft spot for Steven Davis and think Ryan Bertrand is more grounded than you'd expect.

I'll still call people a c*nt as and when I feel they deserve it. Very unfazed about the prospect of being banned from an internet forum - I still read it anyway.

Charlie Austin has certainly gone up in my estimation now I know he mows down cyclists in his spare time.

I'd say mine was probably Tadic, as although he is frustrating me at the moment, I love the way he plays when he isn't struggling for form, and is probably the player I feel most disappointed rather angry at when he gets something wrong! Also think Romeu is great, love that he never shirks a challenge but is also composed on the ball, and he seems like a good guy that has a little bit of interest in the club too.

I think most people are reluctant to hero worship van Dijk because of his inevitable departure!

(My first line was just a joke btw, for any budding cyclists preparing to scorn me forever more!)

Steve moran is my all time favourite player as was 10/11 years old round 1983/84 and loved seeing him scoring goals when my dad took me to the dell. Fav player now is van dijk as makes the game look easy and effortless. Also i used to play centre back in Saturday and Sunday local footy, just wish i played like vvd!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The turnover of our best players is so rapid now that I don't have any favourite players. In the past, they included Channon, Le Tissier, Lambert, Lallana, Mane, Wanyama and Fonte. I'm reluctant to still think too much of van Dijk as a Saints player because it is possible he has already played his last game for us before being sold in the summer. I guess one I hope will join that list is Josh Sims if he isn't sold as soon as he becomes a first team regular. I understand that the revolving door policy helps the club make money but it really weakens the bond between fans and players. I also feel the same way about the team. I knew who the Saints teams of previous decades were and could name the early 70s, late 70s or early 80s elevens, for example. But, when I look back on the past 5 years, I'll just remember a mass of players in transit. You really need a core of players to be together for a minimum of 5 years to have a team you'll remember. The support at St Mary's is coming under increasing criticism, even though we still fill the stadium but I guess many fans feel the same way as I do and find it hard to identify with the players and team, knowing that they are just passing through here in transit. I went to the 1979 League Cup final and supported 'my team' and I knew very well who they all were as they'd mostly been with us for years. But, I don't even know who'll be playing for us in this year's EFL Cup Final. I'll still be vocal in my support but I don't feel the same bond that I used to.

We even now have a new breed of fans who have a favourite owner and director of football but actively dislike the players and when they are sold don't seem to have a word to say for any of them. I don't agree that this is because all footballers are greedy. They have always been relatively well paid compared to the rest of us but if their job were that easy then anyone could do it. There's not much point watching a sport if you don't like any of the players.

Weapons grade.

Several people have chosen Tadic.

Sorry, I can't admire a player who feigns serious injury every time he is tackled—trying to con the referee.

Call me old-fashioned, but I hate this kind of "gamesmanship".

That's fair enough, but Boufal does it too. And Lallana used to do it. Oh and so did Mane.

I agree that diving and (probably more so for me) feigning injury is a sickening part of the game. I certainly wish Tadic would show a bit more determination at times, but I have also admired his desire to look for a pass (sometimes at the expense of shooting admittedly), and appreciate his place in the side as one of the few players that makes you think something could happen when he gets the ball.

Ok, so this is my 'favourite' player, not 'best' player?

I like players of a certain style and, in a way, a slightly gung-ho artistic [attacking where possible] style.

Therefore, my choices would be:

Ever: Mick Channon

(closely followed by MLT, Golac & Rod Wallace - eclectic mix, huh?)

Now: Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg

(I like his energy & style of play - if only he could make fewer unforced errors)

Close to PEH were Boufal & Bertrand. I liked how Barry played on Saturday, but too early for a strong opinion.

Virg. Never seen someone so cool on the pitch, love it when he shrugs off a complete ***** like Sturridge without breaking sweat. Romeu close second, but got time for a few of the names mentioned like Long and Bertrand, seem like genuinely nice blokes.

But, I don't even know who'll be playing for us in this year's EFL Cup Final.

You don't know that likely starters will include Forster, Cedric, Bertrand, Yoshida, Bertrand, Romeu, Davis, JWP, Long, Rodrigues or Tadic. Each of them having been at the club for two plus seasons at least.

Give me a spell.

Don't care if he makes the odd mistake, nobody of the current lot means more to me as a Saint than Yoshida Maya. Think he exemplifies everything I love about the club, frustrations and all, and think the haters are crazy to not see it. Came from VVV Venlo, for the love of god. Know he's not the best, but probably the most improved Saint from when he signed to today, youth teamers excluded.