STANDERS BE AWARE

patred44

I am a disabled member of the Saints and have supported them since 1947.

I have been a disabled member the last 2 years.

Living up here in East Anglia it's hard for me to attend as much as I would like. But I would like share my experience of my last 2 games at SMS, and an away day at Norwich City..

Firstly, I do have some sympathy for those of you who are campaigning for safe standing ialeareas.

Ignoring instructions to sit though is not the way to go about it.

My last 3 games I attended have been spoilt by ignorant Saints fans ignoring pleas by security to sit down.

I sit in a designated disabled area, but unfortunately there are 3 rows of seating in front of me that able bodied fans use, including those who walk round the edge collecting for charities (and they should know better).

My last 2 games at SMS..

As soon the game kicks off all 3 rows of them stand up restricting those disabled fans, like myself, who cannot stand

They ignore all pleas to sit from us and the one or two stewards, who seem to give up after one two attempts.

My last game was away at Norwich, we were put about 10 rows back in the Saints end.

Again as soon as the game started the lot in the front stood up..and they were abusive to stewards pleading for them to sit, most of those in front of me were drunk and rowdy even abusing Saints disabled fans..the chant of 'fooke the flids' not nice.

But at least Norwich stewards did something about it, unlike SMS security staff, by clearing the front three rows and moving us disabled fans into those rows..at halftime.

Stewards said that Saints fans are the only ones they experienced who did this..

WTF...I really hope it's not a Southampton thing

So you able bodied chaps remember your preference to stand throughout the game could stop your fellow disabled fans seeing the game..THINK please

Another problem atv SMS is that some able bodied will try to use the disabled toilets even though they can only be accessed by key. That don't stop some, they lay in wait and snatch the door as you come out stopping the door shutting and locking.

At the Burnley home game I was knocked on my ass by a woman with her kid (BOTH ABLE BODIED) trying to stop me shutting the door. I wasn't hurt, but if it had been someone frailer than myself..

She was seen by a steward, she was angry that mothers with children were not allowed to use the disabled toilets because they have more room FFS

Sometimes it's thoughtless, but most times it's plain ignorance and selfishness.

In an ideal world football grounds would have separate bits for disabled supporters (white hart lane comes to mind).

Whilst down here I would recommend that you sit in either the chapel or itchen/kingsland south.

Unfortunately you'll never get football fans (especially away) to sit down, it's just part and parcel of going away/having a ticket in the more vocal section of the ground. This isn't just saints, you'll find it's the same at every club.

However totally unacceptable for that to be sung/shouted towards you. Can't say I've ever witnessed anything like that at football before and usually fairly well self managed (someone will squeeze up a few seats to aid the view of others)

Edited by SKD

In an ideal world football grounds would have separate bits for disabled supporters (white hart lane comes to mind).

Whilst down here I would recommend that you sit in either the chapel or itchen/kingsland south.

Unfortunately you'll never get football fans (especially away) to sit down, it's just part and parcel of going away/having a ticket in the more vocal section of the ground. This isn't just saints, you'll find it's the same at every club.

Sorry I don't agree I like to stand as much as the next bloke but I wouldn't stand if it was blocking the view of someone in a wheel chair that's just being an arse.

Edited by doddisalegend

Sorry to hear about this, especially the chanting which is just outrageous. I get that away fans will always stand up but what are you suggesting SKD that wheelchair users shouldn't attend away games? That can't be right. Would hope that must of our fans would sit down if their standing was compromising the view of a disabled fan but unfortunately some of our away fans are, frankly, complete morons so do appreciate that it will be hard to implement in practice.

Had exactly the same problem at Arsenal last year.

I'm completely unable to stand for more than a few minutes. Arsenal steward understanding but could only ask if anybody would move. Several able bodied male louts refused, but a very kind man and his wife moved for my son and I and I had a front seat.

From my experiences of Norwich, which I didn't actually attend as the club forgot to post my tickets and as I am very immobile didn't want to have to mass around getting them from the club. (In the event as Norwich supporters didn't turn up it would have probably been OK.), the club can ensure you get front seat tickets.

Don't forget that after the recent bus ruling, club employees and the club probably have to make supporters move to accommodate disabled supporters.

The High court ruled that a bus driver must make a passenger move from a disabled seat instead of just ask. The reason was that a woman with a push chair was occupying the disabled space and refused to move. After the ruling as I understand it (I'm not a lawyer so may be wrong) the bus driver must make a person incorrectly occupying a disabled seat move).

This ruling probably has enormous implications for all football clubs.

Last year when I was recovering from cancer treatment I too massively struggled to stand at the game for more than a few minutes. All I did was before KO to wander with my lad down to the front row, explain my situation to a couple of fellas and ask to swap seats, was never a problem

If I'm at an away game and I have a sprog/elderly/infirm behind me I'll always ask if they want my position so they can see better, it's just always struck me as the right thing to do.

Not all disabled fans need wheelchairs. There many conditions which make it difficult to walk distances or stand for any length of time. I have a blue badge and can limp around.

I took it to mean disabled and older fans more generally. FWIW I sit in the top row in Itchen North precisely to avoid blocking someone's view, even though it's more of a stander's stand.

Edited by shurlock

Sorry I don't agree I like to stand as much as the next bloke but I wouldn't stand if it was blocking the view of someone in a wheel chair that's just being an arse.

Sorry I meant in general. I'd hope that anyone would just move to help the view of others (disabled or elderly)

I really don't see the issue, at St Mary's don't go in the Northam or the Itchen North a tiny percentage of the home areas, the rest of the ground your guaranteed to be able to sit in comfort for 90 mins without any distractions. Away games are a bit more tricky but now you can select your own seat you can purchase near the front or ask the club for disabled seating. I generally try to look out for old fans / young kids but more often than not they look like they're enjoying themselves standing and singing as much as the other fans. As I get older I hope I can remember what it was like to be a lively younger fan and allow them the benefit of the doubt to stand and sing enjoying themselves without moaning about them too much.

The Norwich example you give we only 2/3rds of our allocation there was plenty of room to move around.

I really don't see the issue, at St Mary's don't go in the Northam or the Itchen North a tiny percentage of the home areas, the rest of the ground your guaranteed to be able to sit in comfort for 90 mins without any distractions. Away games are a bit more tricky but now you can select your own seat you can purchase near the front or ask the club for disabled seating. I generally try to look out for old fans / young kids but more often than not they look like they're enjoying themselves standing and singing as much as the other fans. As I get older I hope I can remember what it was like to be a lively younger fan and allow them the benefit of the doubt to stand and sing enjoying themselves without moaning about them too much.

The Norwich example you give we only 2/3rds of our allocation there was plenty of room to move around.

Agree but this isn't really the point the OP is making is it? He's saying that, at some league grounds, the disabled seating is such that, if people stand, wheelchair users can't see. If the only way that a disabled fan can see the game is for me to sit down then I'll do it and so should everyone else IMO. It's not really a case of anyone 'moaning' at anyone else.

My last 2 games at SMS..As soon the game kicks off all 3 rows of them stand up restricting those disabled fans, like myself, who cannot stand They ignore all pleas to sit from us and the one or two stewards, who seem to give up after one two attempts..

Where do you sit Pat? Just a bit surprised that there's any standing anywhere near disabled areas inside SMS. The only standing I've ever seen are the upper rows of the Northam and some in the Itchen North, not really even close to disableds.

Whatever, it's plain wrong that people such as yourself go to football and are subjected to abuse like you experienced and simply can't see the match. Safe standing areas would sort out so many issues instantly.

Agree but this isn't really the point the OP is making is it? He's saying that, at some league grounds, the disabled seating is such that, if people stand, wheelchair users can't see. If the only way that a disabled fan can see the game is for me to sit down then I'll do it and so should everyone else IMO. It's not really a case of anyone 'moaning' at anyone else.

No I don't think he's in a wheelchair area , that wouldn't make sense in the description given I think he's in the normal seats based on my knowledge of the grounds.

Disappointing response, I find you one of the more opinionated posters on here, with your opinions backed up by facts and actually going to actual games, which is always a bonus. Think you've badly mis-judged this one though, are you really saying that if you rocked up at an away game (as you often do) and just the one time you'd been allocated seats just in front of the disabled fans, you'd stand and block their view, just for one game like?

And if you yourself didn't actually do that (and TBF you didn't say you would) you'd understand those that do 'because it's an away game'.

Really? Read the OP again, read your response, and maybe have a word with yourself.

Disappointing response, I find you one of the more opinionated posters on here, with your opinions backed up by facts and actually going to actual games, which is always a bonus. Think you've badly mis-judged this one though, are you really saying that if you rocked up at an away game (as you often do) and just the one time you'd been allocated seats just in front of the disabled fans, you'd stand and block their view, just for one game like?

And if you yourself didn't actually do that (and TBF you didn't say you would) you'd understand those that do 'because it's an away game'.

Really? Read the OP again, read your response, and maybe have a word with yourself.

I have clarified further down, aprriciate my original post comes across slightly insenstive, wasn't meant that way! Have reworded orginal post to refelect what I meant.

Sorry I meant in general. I'd hope that anyone would just move to help the view of others (disabled or elderly)
Edited by SKD

Feel very upset reading this, a fan for all those years subjected to such thoughtless behaviour.

As others have said, and as a regular away fan, it's depressing to see someone choose to stand up and block the view of a child or someone struggling to stand behind them especially if they are the first row to do so

Feel very upset reading this, a fan for all those years subjected to such thoughtless behaviour.

As others have said, and as a regular away fan, it's depressing to see someone choose to stand up and block the view of a child or someone struggling to stand behind them especially if they are the first row to do so

That's why I generally pick seats further back or just head to the back at away games. What I'll never get is those that don't want to stand away, get tickets at the back, then steadfastly refuse to go to a different seat even when it's offered but instead complain about standers!

Anyway that's by the by the dicks that abused fellow fans should've been called out by their own, no need to go squinnying to stewards about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I don't think he's in a wheelchair area , that wouldn't make sense in the description given I think he's in the normal seats based on my knowledge of the grounds.

Ah fair enough. Would still like to think that people would sit down when its clear someone is having difficulty. I'm not sure I'd classify that as moaning per se.

That's why I generally pick seats further back or just head to the back at away games. What I'll never get is those that don't want to stand away, get tickets at the back, then steadfastly refuse to go to a different seat even when it's offered but instead complain about standers!

Anyway that's by the by the dicks that abused fellow fans should've been called out by their own, no need to go squinnying to stewards about it

This.

Are you being serious? I presume you're referring to the chanting right? If someone is being subjected to a discriminatory, abusive chant then it needs to be dealt with more harshly than leaving it to fellow fans. Anyone doing that doesn't and shouldn't represent SFC and I'd definitely advocate it being reported so that they can be identified and banned.

The question I have is why are people standing up (and stewards at SMS not making people sit down) in the 3 rows immediately in front of the designated disabled areas as stated by the OP? If you stand up in those specific rows, you must know you are blocking the view of the disabled seating. It must be obvious, surely?

The question I have is why are people standing up (and stewards at SMS not making people sit down) in the 3 rows immediately in front of the designated disabled areas as stated by the OP? If you stand up in those specific rows, you must know you are blocking the view of the disabled seating. It must be obvious, surely?

Sadly Chez it ain't, we have been to away games where my 5'2" Wife seems to get the 6' plus bloke who chooses not only to stand up (no problem with that at an away) but in old grounds where the seats are on a slight step up from where your feet go he decides to stand on this slightly higher step totally oblivious to who is behind him and despite already having a perfect view.

Also if you had been in Milan and seen the behaviour of some beered up Saints fans who bundled up the stairs then could not give a flying fk for Saints fans who had taken up their position earlier on the front row behind the railings and promptly stood in front of them at the rail, then got all borishly snarly nasty at anyone questioning their down right pig ignorance, then this kind of thing would hardly be a surprise.

last season I was allocated seats fir myself and enabler in the Family Stand, and that was fine.

This season my only option was ITCHEN SOUTH.. on the last 2 occassions it's been a nightmare because of people standing.

The biggest dissappointment was at the Burnley game, when Franny finnished his marathon run.

The volunteers who rattled the tins were the main cause they had been allocated the front row..and as soon as the game kicked off, up most of stood taking pictures on thier mobiles..This was the signal for the next 2-3 rows to stand.

Now, there's no way would I report a fellow Saints fan..The stewards pleaded with them but to no avail.

Then the incident at the disabled toilet, and again at Norwich where it was very itimidating...that put me off going, and my enabler (a middle aged woman carer) refuses to go now. Fortunately my youngest son has volunteered to bring me to SMS in future and he is 6' 5" I'm sure he would say something if it were to happen again.

As someone mentioned earlier, not all disabled people are in wheelchairs, so if you stand be aware the fellow Saint behind you may not able to. I think the club could help by clearly marking the disabled areas perhaps with a different coloured seat or maybe paint the footwells in a distinctive colour.. As it is, it could easily lead to a incident between fans as tempers flow. How would that look in the press abled bodied fans and disabled fighting..Not good for our club...

The toilet incident is not a football thing unfortunatley, it happens in society every where nowadays. If you are unfortunate to be allocated a facility to help with your disablment there are people who try to take advantage. Missuse of blue badges, parking in disabled bays are "fair play" to some. So I'm not whinging about Football crowds persay.. but a general attitude that is unfortunateley spreading in our society..Or perhaps it's me, getting older and crankier and my disablement has opened my eyes to the problem.

As they say...spend a day in someone elses shoes!:?

The authorities have clearly given up on enforcing seating in certain areas of the ground & away supporters. Therefore it seems completely and utterly pointless to continue to oppose safe standing areas. At the moment we have non safe standing areas. I know it's the law, but the football authorities should be pushing for this asap. I'm in my 50's and although prefer sitting accept that when I buy an away ticket im going to stand. However, I'm not sure I'd like to at 65 and certainly not when I start taking my grandson away. Clearly, being able to pick your away seats will help, but having separate standing and sitting blocks has to be the way forward.

Wembley is going to be interesting because there will be a lot of people not used to away games that'll be forced to stand or get upset. I wonder whether the club could have done more work with supporters groups/forums to "suggest" blocks for the more boisterous fans. Calling it a singing section maybe corny but "singing"'would clearly be code for standing. They can't be seen to encourage standing but they could have dropped some ****ing great hints. I just hope that everybody gets to watch the game in the manner they want to watch it and things don't get too heated .

My last 2 games at SMS..As soon the game kicks off all 3 rows of them stand up restricting those disabled fans, like myself, who cannot stand

They ignore all pleas to sit from us and the one or two stewards, who seem to give up after one two attempts

You raise some very valid and understandable issues Pat, but I'm amazed you've had this problem in the Itchen South! I sit the other end of the stadium but once the game kicks-off I've never noticed any standing in those seating areas other than when we score (usually accompanied with polite applause!)...but I accept I must be mistaken. Things need to change.

The authorities have clearly given up on enforcing seating in certain areas of the ground & away supporters. Therefore it seems completely and utterly pointless to continue to oppose safe standing areas. At the moment we have non safe standing areas. I know it's the law, but the football authorities should be pushing for this asap. I'm in my 50's and although prefer sitting accept that when I buy an away ticket im going to stand. However, I'm not sure I'd like to at 65 and certainly not when I start taking my grandson away. Clearly, being able to pick your away seats will help, but having separate standing and sitting blocks has to be the way forward.

Wembley is going to be interesting because there will be a lot of people not used to away games that'll be forced to stand or get upset. I wonder whether the club could have done more work with supporters groups/forums to "suggest" blocks for the more boisterous fans. Calling it a singing section maybe corny but "singing"'would clearly be code for standing. They can't be seen to encourage standing but they could have dropped some ****ing great hints. I just hope that everybody gets to watch the game in the manner they want to watch it and things don't get too heated

Good post

How do you get a wheelchair in between the rows of seats to allow your view to be blocked !!

Surely they are all at pitch level ?

How do you get a wheelchair in between the rows of seats to allow your view to be blocked !!

Surely they are all at pitch level ?

You'll have to ask the OP. That's why I assumed the Norwich experience must have been due to a poorly positioned disabled section but I don't really know.

Wembley is going to be interesting because there will be a lot of people not used to away games that'll be forced to stand or get upset. I wonder whether the club could have done more work with supporters groups/forums to "suggest" blocks for the more boisterous fans. Calling it a singing section maybe corny but "singing"'would clearly be code for standing. They can't be seen to encourage standing but they could have dropped some ****ing great hints. I just hope that everybody gets to watch the game in the manner they want to watch it and things don't get too heated .

Well said. Could not agree more.

Totally agree , I put this out there several years ago that they should put the away tickets out as 'singing' or 'non-singing' and fill singers from the back and non-singers from the front (or left/right) or however the size/shape of the allocation.

I remember a particularly grim experience away at Colchester when I ended up literally surrounded by bingo-bus day trippers, with actual flasks and tartan rugs, no singing, no standing, no swearing FFS! Grim as grim, prob for them as well as for me. Couldn't I have just moved? Yes and no, we've stood five in four seats before and it can be done but it can get pretty anti-social pretty quickly. Remember at Charlton a while back 6 ****ed up ****s trying to stand in the two spaces next to me; we ended up being pushed into the people next us (who pushed back) and we then ended up trodden on and sworn at for doing nothing but standing in our own seats.

My preference would be to stand in one space (and sing and swear) and I am happy for others to do whatever they do that doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game, I also accept I have to sit down if people behind me genuinely can't see and can't stand, and moderate my swearing to consider those around me. Safe standing is the way to go though even then the Charlton 6 would still push in together to be with their mates, so I guess give and take is the way to go, in football, as in life.

Are you being serious? I presume you're referring to the chanting right? If someone is being subjected to a discriminatory, abusive chant then it needs to be dealt with more harshly than leaving it to fellow fans. Anyone doing that doesn't and shouldn't represent SFC and I'd definitely advocate it being reported so that they can be identified and banned.

Yes i'm being serious, i find the chants disgusting (and have disabled family members that go), plus the people doing them are pr*cks and i don't want them at Saints games. But would you want them getting football banning orders, potential suspended sentences and losing their job for being stupid? Because the way policing of football works these days that's not an unusual outcome

It is clear from this correspondence the football clubs need to take disabled and partially mobile fans more seriously.

At the moment Saints class disabled fans as those receiving a very high level of benefit.

This leaves a large number of fans with lesser disabilities that qualify for a blue badge, eg severe osteo-arthritis, mild angina and heart conditions and many others. Those over seventy may well not wish to be involved directly in the hurly-burly of many away fans, while being forced into sitting with them.

This is not meant as a criticism, when I was young the same problem was usually solved by older fans choosing to sit in the stands and younger ones choosing to stand.

It is an unintended consequence of all seater stadia.

It should be easily able to be solved, either MK or The Emirates-I can't remember which, had a section at the top for disabled and an enabler.

If clubs won't take it seriously then perhaps an association of less able fans should be formed to take legal action, this would have great sympathy in Parliament and the courts.

If clubs won't take it seriously then perhaps an association of less able fans should be formed to take legal action, this would have great sympathy in Parliament and the courts.

This group of fans would benefit greatly if English football clubs were allowed to install safe standing. If they were to throw their collective weight behind the campaign it might just open the eyes of the stubborn authorities and the ridiculous reasons why they keep their fingers in their ears to the obvious and very safe option to the present 'unsafe' standing inside stadiums.

At Anfield last season there were a few people who were clearly struggling to see. Without being asked the stewards took it upon themselves to ask some of our fans nearer the front to swap seats, which they did, so those who couldn't see were able to. Maybe if more stewards were proactive and friendly, rather than standing there looking gormless or moody which many seem to, then some of the problems could easily be solved.

Yes i'm being serious, i find the chants disgusting (and have disabled family members that go), plus the people doing them are pr*cks and i don't want them at Saints games. But would you want them getting football banning orders, potential suspended sentences and losing their job for being stupid? Because the way policing of football works these days that's not an unusual outcome

Yes - if you can't do the time don't do the crime. The Chelsea fans who made racist comments on the Paris metro were dealt with in the same way and this is no different. Maybe if the punishment is this severe it will stamp out this kind of moronic and prejudicial behaviour from football and society in general. Just because you're at the football, have had a few pints and are standing in a shouting crowd doesn't justify this kind of behaviour. Needs to be stamped out IMO.

Yes - if you can't do the time don't do the crime. The Chelsea fans who made racist comments on the Paris metro were dealt with in the same way and this is no different. Maybe if the punishment is this severe it will stamp out this kind of moronic and prejudicial behaviour from football and society in general. Just because you're at the football, have had a few pints and are standing in a shouting crowd doesn't justify this kind of behaviour. Needs to be stamped out IMO.

So you've never said anything stupid in your youth? I don't disagree these things needs stamping out but the extreme policing of football makes the response these days disproportionate in my opinion.

But would you want them getting football banning orders, potential suspended sentences and losing their job for being stupid?

Er, yes.

So you've never said anything stupid in your youth? I don't disagree these things needs stamping out but the extreme policing of football makes the response these days disproportionate in my opinion.

I've never mocked disabled people, and neither have most.

Edited by DuncanRG

Sadly a large bunch of our fans are disrespectful, lack any form of empathy and have no self awareness. They also don't possess any valid form of conscience so this behaviour would probably seem dependable from their perspective.

Sorry to hear about your experiences. Sadly football for many is an excuse to be a c*ck. You can support the team and be passionate sat on your arse.

I'd wager the vast majority of people would be more than happy to swap seats so that people struggling to see can be closer to the front/end of the row where they can see properly.

As for disabled seating still being restricted...I seriously doubt that happens at St Marys as the disabled seating is either right at the front of in those separate little square blocks. But at away grounds it is probably different. That's something for those clubs to deal with as well, though.

I'm surprised there isn't legislation already about providing unobstructed seating to be honest.

I know there's some just plain decency lacking from some fans in this issue but I also think it could be easily solved. For me this is yet another reason for the Premier League to pay attention and actually properly look into safe standing, then those who can't or choose not to stand can sit normally, with nothing restricting their view. Another point is that if St Marys is redeveloped more disabled seating further up the stands should be looked at as well because the view isn't the best when so far down.

If you're asking whether I've said anything racist or prejudicial in a public place that would, if I were caught, cost me my job then no I haven't, not even in my "youth". The fact it's said at the football is completely irrelevant and the fact that people like you appear to class these kind of chants and comments as "silly" means that it'll never stop. No excuses and heavy penalty will stamp this kind of stuff out and we will be better for it.

Sadly a large bunch of our fans are disrespectful, lack any form of empathy and have no self awareness. They also don't possess any valid form of conscience so this behaviour would probably seem dependable from their perspective.

Sorry to hear about your experiences. Sadly football for many is an excuse to be a c*ck. You can support the team and be passionate sat on your arse.

If only the masses were were as moral and upstanding as you, eh :rolleyes: