Ins and Outs - Summer 2017 Transfer Window

SKD

A place to post all saints related transfer rumours and thoughts on who we should bring in / let go in the summer.

Starting it nice an early as it seems transfer talk never stops these days.

For me;

In

CBx2 (assuming VVD will be sold) - Ake would be a decent fit as 1 of the 2

DM (cover / competition for Romeu) - could we push the boat out and go for someone like william carvalho?

CM (creative and forward thinking central midfield player) - can't see past Sigurdsson.

Forward (someone similar to gabbi who can play all across the front 3 - replacement for Jay)

Replacements for any others that leave (excluding martina)

Out

VVD (£50m starting price - if he wants to stay, reject any bid that comes in)

Martina

Gardos

Harry Reed - Loan to gain experience

JWP - loan (won't happen but wouldn't be disappointed for him to go)

Clasie (same as above for JWP but would only want to see 1 of them leave)

JayRod (cash in whilst he has any sort of value)

Long (if a suitable offer came in and we got a replacement wouldn't be that sad if he went)

If Puel is les' man then he really needs to back him this summer and get him the players that will suit his style and formation he wants to play.

Edited by SKD

A midfielder who can run for 90mins would be my no1 target. We are so one paced and easy to.counter attack because we have never replaced Schneiderlin effectively. Otherwise pretty much agree with yours.

Wouldn't be shocked if Bertrand and Forster maybe feel they have done their time here, Tadic also potentially.

A midfielder who can run for 90mins would be my no1 target. We are so one paced and easy to.counter attack because we have never replaced Schneiderlin effectively. Otherwise pretty much agree with yours.

Wouldn't be shocked if Bertrand and Forster maybe feel they have done their time here, Tadic also potentially.

Charlie - should we sell Long in the summer?

I'd sell Reed personally. He's 22 and doesn't look like becoming a Premier League player any time soon.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if we said goodbye to Martina, Long, Clasie, JWP, Reed, Gardos, Isgrove or Targett.

They would all need replacing, except Targett, Isgrove and Long, plus a long term solution to Fonte.

Give PEH time, I think he'll come good. Imo the closest thing we've had to Schneiderlin since he left.

Personally think it's Vic we miss more... someone who can sit in front of the back 4 and stop counter attacks. Romeu has done well, but I don't think he's naturally a 'ball winning dm'

I don't think VvD will leave this summer, and we'll see how Cáceres gets on. Definitely at least one CB will be needed as Gardos doesn't look like he's going to make the grade. I think maybe Stephens going out on loan to another PL team or abroad would be a good idea, and I agree the Harry Reed either needs loaning or selling - he's not going to get any better playing for the U-23s and the occasional FA Cup game. Martina will leave, and if we can rip somebody off for JRod or Redmond (i.e. £15-20m+) then I'd go for that too.

My priority purchase would be a striker that can stay fit. I'd hope we've learned from this season with half a team of crocks - Boufal, JRod and Austin are all injury prone, Gabbiadini doesn't have a great track record, Pied and Gardos have been out all season, and we tried to sign a CB with injury problems. This has obviously cost us badly this season so I'd be happy going for a striker who may not be a world beater but can start 40 games a season.

DM competition/cover would be important, and competition/cover for Boufal/Tadic as a creating attacking midfielder (as they'll both be out for half the season each with injuries - or Tadic will go in the summer) - I've been saying Sigurddson for the last three seasons but he's too high profile now I think. Maybe Will Hughes from Derby?

Out:

Taylor

Martina

Isgrove

Reed

Rodriguez

Stephens

Targett

Forster

I'm going to be positive and expect VVD to stay another season.

In:

DF:

Tomothy Fosuh-Mensah and/or Nathan Aké

Martín Cáceres (if he performs well these few months)

MF:

Hatem Ben Arfa

FW:

Alexandre Lacazette

Strongest starting 11 Premier Leaugue 2017/2018:

----------------McCarthy----------------------

Cedric----Cácares----Van Dijk----Bertrand

------------Romeu----Højbjerg---------------

Ben Arfa--------Boufal-----------------Tadic

----------------Lacazette---------------------

Bench (9 next season?):

Hassen, Pied, McQueen, Fosuh-Mensah (or Aké), Ward-Prowse, Davis, Redmond, Gabbiadini, Austin

Edited by Pass the Dutchie

Incoming:

Fabian Schar - center back

Sol Bamba - Center Back ( cover for Van Djk if he leaves, I would obviously start Schar and Caceres)

Tom Ince - Attacking Mid ( provides extra creativity and goals )

Grzegorz Krychowiak / Jorginho, Verona - DMC to play alongside Romeu

Sebastian Haller - Striker

Outs:

Van D - No Less than £50 Million

Harrison Reed - Loan

Clasie

Davis

J Rod

Incoming:

Sol Bamba - Center Back ( cover for Van Djk if he leaves, I would obviously start Schar and Caceres)

Outs:

Harrison Reed - Loan

Clasie

Davis

J Rod

Sol Bamba? Hes an average championship CB and hes near 32. Younger blood needed like Reuben Semedo or Fabian Schar like you said

Out: Martina, Isgrove, Reed, Taylor

In: Reuben Semedo, + Wylan Cyprien + Dominic Iorfa

Forster, Mcarthy, Sergio Ramos Look-alike

Cedric (Dominic Iorfa), VVD, (Reuben Semedo), Yoshi, Gardos, Stephens, Bertrand, Targett/McQueen

Romeu/Clasie/JWP/PEH/Davis (Wylan Cyprien)

Tadic/Boufal/Redmond/Long/JRod*/Sims

Gabby/Austin/JRod*

Changes a little bit if VVD gets sold - don't think he will go though, unless Barca come in.

Edit: Could get Balotelli on a free :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Chris27687

Incoming:

Outs:

Harrison Reed - Loan

Clasie

Davis

J Rod

I'm glad you're not on the transfer committee

Bamba not fit to lace yoshida's boots, let alone cover for VVD and Tom Ince... Really? this isn't 2013.

What's wrong with Tom Ince? 10 goals in the championship, young fits the mold massive potential better than Ward Prowse....... Even Spurs are sniffing around him he can't be that bad.......

As for Bamba yes he is old ok for a younger alternative how about Jairo Riedewald, or Nikalas Sule.

Sell Long....yeah lets sell the bloke who got us to a cup final, plus never complains, always puts in a shift and a good Prem squad player.

Who we get in or out depends on what division we are in.

Depends on ambition. He's not a top-half quality striker although, as you say, he's a useful squad player. Our problem this season is too many squad-players and not enough quality.

I doubt we will sell him either way though, given no one will be interested in buying him for a decent fee and he just signed a new contract.

Upfront, I would expect Jay Rod to leave, Gallagher to come back into first team and no other changes unless Austin is perma-crocked. If he's quadraspazzed on a life-glug then we could use another striker as well (unless we think Seager is good enough).

Summer priority has to be sorting out the midfield, which is woeful in terms of the collective balance offered, and making whatever signings are needed at CB (dependent on Virgil and whether Caceres does well and stays - we will need one or two signings there). Next priority is sorting out whatever is going on with Forster.

Of course, these priorities assume no unexpexcted departures!

Edited by benjii

Sell Long....yeah lets sell the bloke who got us to a cup final, plus never complains, always puts in a shift and a good Prem squad player.

Who we get in or out depends on what division we are in.

Long did not get us to the cup final, he just happened to be on the end of a counter attack in the final moments of the game (one in which we were 1-0 up on agg anyway). I would say the defense (that day) and poor finishing from L'pool got us to the final.

Don't agree that Long never complains, he regualrly throws his hands in the air and wasn't he one of those to stay behind and have a dig at the manager after the WBA game...?

If all you're after is someone who won't complain and will always put in a shift then they can sign me for half the wages Long is on.

Would say he is a lower table squad player, if we want to push into the top half/top 6 then we need better players than long coming of the bench to make an impact.

Ultimately, if Long is happy to sit on the bench and and be used in cup games or if we get injuries then keep him, but I can't see that being the case and I'd rather give Gallagher a chance.

Love these sort of threads, can really tell who the FM and FIFA players! :lol:

I know. What is up with people wishing their lives away? We have a cup final and almost half a season to enjoy before we start dreaming about who to sign and who we may lose. Ever wondered why a dog always wags it's tail? Two reasons. It does not worry about yesterday because you can't do anything about it. It does not worry about tomorrow because it's not here yet....

Long did not get us to the cup final, he just happened to be on the end of a counter attack in the final moments of the game (one in which we were 1-0 up on agg anyway). I would say the defense (that day) and poor finishing from L'pool got us to the final.

Don't agree that Long never complains, he regualrly throws his hands in the air and wasn't he one of those to stay behind and have a dig at the manager after the WBA game...?

If all you're after is someone who won't complain and will always put in a shift then they can sign me for half the wages Long is on.

Would say he is a lower table squad player, if we want to push into the top half/top 6 then we need better players than long coming of the bench to make an impact.

Ultimately, if Long is happy to sit on the bench and and be used in cup games or if we get injuries then keep him, but I can't see that being the case and I'd rather give Gallagher a chance.

Long came back after the Euros knackered after being battered and run himself to the ground, he then was a victim of Puels rotation policy, he also doesnt suit the sideways, backwards, crab football we play. So he is a lower table squad yet you want to give Gallagher a go who was poor here for the u23's and has scored a few goals at Blackburn so that makes him ok to replace Long? Not for me....each to their own.

Long came back after the Euros knackered after being battered and run himself to the ground, he then was a victim of Puels rotation policy, he also doesnt suit the sideways, backwards, crab football we play. So he is a lower table squad yet you want to give Gallagher a go who was poor here for the u23's and has scored a few goals at Blackburn so that makes him ok to replace Long? Not for me....each to their own.

Gallagher is more of a natural goal scorer than long and has done well in the games he has played for us.

Would Long have scored the goals that he has in that Blackburn team? I don't know, but suspect not looking at the goals Sam has scored this year.

You've said that Long doesn't suit our style, IMO Gallagher does.. for surely that reason alone is enough to replace him?

Gallagher is more of a natural goal scorer than long and has done well in the games he has played for us.

Would Long have scored the goals that he has in that Blackburn team? I don't know, but suspect not looking at the goals Sam has scored this year.

You've said that Long doesn't suit our style, IMO Gallagher does.. for surely that reason alone is enough to replace him?

Would Gallagher of got the goals Long got last year remember he got quite a few? Nope. Its a massive jump from Blackburn and Championship defences to playing against the Prem ones. Lets agree to disagree and I would keep Long and add quality in to replace Jayrod but don't think we will so Gallagher coming back may get that chance.

Sell/let go:

Isgrove, Clasie, Martina, Taylor, Gazzaniga.

Buy:

Look for a new CB, attacking midfielder, RB. Kongolo at Feyenoord would be a good CB and Klaassen from Ajax for the midfield. I don't play OSM or Fifa so not that familiar with young talent in Europe. Would like to see us buy up and coming talent from the lower leagues.

On the exception of the League Cup, the season has been a little disappointing. Would give Puel the summer and a full pre season to get the team playing the way he wants. Maybe add some new back room staff to work with the players.

Clueless.

(Edit: you, not the football.)

Would Gallagher of got the goals Long got last year remember he got quite a few? Nope. Its a massive jump from Blackburn and Championship defences to playing against the Prem ones. Lets agree to disagree and I would keep Long and add quality in to replace Jayrod but don't think we will so Gallagher coming back may get that chance.

Completely agree with this - Gallagher is scoring for a good reason - he's found his level. However, there's a good reason for sending him out on loan to provide him with match-time to hone skills - he's done that well...served the apprenticeship...so he deserves a chance back at Saints. If he's found wanting however, then we can sell or loan again - it's a win-win.

Massive clearout

Out: Forster, Taylor, Targett, Martina, Gardos, Clasie, Reed (loan), Isgrove, Rodriguez/Austin, possibly JWP as well

In: GK, CB, CM

3 or 4 players of real quality to come in (Maybe Caceres is one of them already) but the positions will be slightly dependent on the formation we want to go with. I'd keep Long as he is a great player to have when we want to play on the counter attack

Assuming we stay up (and much more confident after yesterday) then (assuming contract terms/wages etc etc):

Keepers:

Forster/Hassen/McCarthy (Taylor free)

Right Back:

Cedric/Piet (Martina £500k?)]

Left Back[/b]

Bertrand/McQueen (Targett £3m)

Defensive Midfielders

Romeu

Big/Athletic b**ggar (£15m)

Central Defence

New CD (£15m?)/Stephens

VVD (hopefully)/Yoshida (Gardos - Free?)

Midfield

Hojbjerg (Claisie - £6m?)

JWP (Isgrove - Free)

Davis

Tadic

Sims

Hesketh

Forwards

Gabbiadini (Austin - £3m)

Boufal (Rodriguez- £8.5m)

Redmond (Long - £10m)

Gallagher

Big Target Man (£15m)

Seagar

So £45m to spend versus £31m incoming.

Net spend of £14m

Futures of McCarthy and Reed to be determined

Squad next season......something along the lines of......

Keepers:

Forster/Hassen

McCarthy

Lewis

RB

Cedric

Pied

CB

VVD

NEW

Yoshida

Stephens

LB

Bertrand

McQueen

Targett

DM

Romeu

NEW

Hojbjerg

CM

NEW

Davis

JWP

AMF

Boufal

Tadic

Redmond

NEW

Sims

ST

Gabbiadini

NEW

Austin

Gallagher

Edited by Saint Garrett

We should be aiming to lose no significant player this summer and add a right back unless Piet returns fully and is decent, a centre back to replace Fonte, a new attacking midfielder and if possible a defensive midfielder.

Exits

Martina

Reed - I personally can't ever see him making it at this level

Isgrove - see above

We should be aiming to lose no significant player this summer and add a right back unless Piet returns fully and is decent, a centre back to replace Fonte, a new attacking midfielder and if possible a defensive midfielder.

Exits

Martina

Isgrove - see above

If we don't win the cup and therefore qualify for the Europa League, this current squad is too big to keep everybody happy. Quite a few would have to leave in my opinion.

Exits

Martina

Isgrove - see above

We are allowed 25 squad players so we must have a clear out of flops before we can hire new flops.

Lay off Clasie will ya, you're like a bunch of flipping' parrots

Assuming we stay up (and much more confident after yesterday) then (assuming contract terms/wages etc etc):

Keepers:

Forster/Hassen/McCarthy (Taylor free)

Right Back:

Cedric/Piet (Martina £500k?)]

Left Back[/b]

Bertrand/McQueen (Targett £3m)

Defensive Midfielders

Romeu

Big/Athletic b**ggar (£15m)

Central Defence

New CD (£15m?)/Stephens

VVD (hopefully)/Yoshida (Gardos - Free?)

Midfield

Hojbjerg (Claisie - £6m?)

JWP (Isgrove - Free)

Davis

Tadic

Sims

Hesketh

Forwards

Gabbiadini (Austin - £3m)

Boufal (Rodriguez- £8.5m)

Redmond (Long - £10m)

Gallagher

Big Target Man (£15m)

Seagar

So £45m to spend versus £31m incoming.

Net spend of £14m

Futures of McCarthy and Reed to be determined

Charlie Austin 3million you for real or have you never actually been to st Mary's