• Romeu
    • Davis
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Tadić
    • Redmond
    • Gabbiadini
    • Højbjerg
    • Long

Sunderland. I've seen better subbuteo teams.

Marks based on the fact that the opposition looked like they'd never seen a football before. If they do not finish bottom of the pile then I will be surprised.

Forster. 3. Air punch in the first half from a corner. Saved what what hit straight at him. Didn't even make an effort for the disallowed goal whereas a good keeper would always want to not let a goal in.

Cedric. 5 Ok. Can't shoot. Can't beat a man very much. Had to play against the paper-thin and lightweight Januzai who fell to the floor a lot. A generous mark but I feel like it.

Stephens. 5. Defending is the weakest part of his game. I'd move him forward alongside Romeu.

Yoshida. 5. Decent enough.

Bertrand. 6. Reasonable game but he's a damn good player so I expect him to be very good as a minimum so I'm not giving him any credit for playing within himself.

Davis. 5. No opposition to trouble him. He's actually played a lot better.

JWP 0 (zero). He isn't a footballer. Brushed off the ball by Januzai for probably the only time in the latter's career. Tried a Cruyff turn and couldn't execute it and didn't know what to do. Kills play because all he can do is pass sideways. Didn't score when he hit that shot in the second half. Played too much propaganda football: I wonder what Strachan would have made of him. Assume he has something on the club as I'd have cancelled his contract.

Redmond. 5. One of his quieter games. Bit like Bertrand but as he can do so much more and didn't he gets marked down. Liked the fact that he was shouting at players to give him an option and they were static when he had the ball. Liked the fact that he drove into the box, went for goal and had a shot with his left foot. Reasonable effort, too.

Tadic. 4. Reasonably talented. Too one-footed. Doesn't do a lot. Seems to have limited vision: is only aware of about 10 yards around him. One of his poorer games. I would probably get rid of him in the summer.

Barry/Gabby/Manny. 6. Makes a load of good runs that are ignored because the crab pass is on. Touch looks ok but not great. You can see his mind is working all the time: proper footballer.

Long. 5. Scored. Maybe should have got another with his header (and then my 5-0 prediction would have won me some cash) and did what he did.

Hojbjerg. No mark. Not on long enough.

As it's a cup final and so on I expect based on that performance which wasn't dissimilar to many of our others, in fact we've played better and lost, that Utd will beat us convincingly at Wembley.

Good to see the mods following up on their promises to ban trolls [emoji849]

I genuinely can't tell if that's a terrible attempt at trolling or satire :lol:

Saints win 4-0, our new striker looks like a star, our next match is at Wembley, and England have just won a genuinely fantastic game against Wales in the 6 Nations Rugby.

This weekend is one of those where you remember why you like sport :)

I noticed I forgot Romeu. 5. One of his poorer games. It was nothing other than my thoughts on the game. I see no reason to describe us as world beaters when we have beaten a team that seemed to me worse than any I saw when we were in League One: they were truly that terrible. I provided a balanced, consistent perspective to those who don't seem to know anything about football but do like to get too high when we win and too low when we lose (ta Nige). We played better at both Everton and Burnley and not dissimilar to today: crab football. Part of the difference was plainly Barry whose runs were picked up but as others have remarked it's not as though others e.g. SL, JRod haven't also done likewise. Be a shame to see JRod go: I think Puel's insistence on rotation for the sake of it is mismanagement and I wouldn't be surprised to see JRod go to Spurs (he made those comments about how good Poch was probably as a way of implying how poor Puel is) and be the link that helps them to the title. If he's played enough he'll find his form and he has to be better than Janssen.

Marks based on the fact that the opposition looked like they'd never seen a football before. If they do not finish bottom of the pile then I will be surprised.

Forster. 3. Air punch in the first half from a corner. Saved what what hit straight at him. Didn't even make an effort for the disallowed goal whereas a good keeper would always want to not let a goal in.

Cedric. 5 Ok. Can't shoot. Can't beat a man very much. Had to play against the paper-thin and lightweight Januzai who fell to the floor a lot. A generous mark but I feel like it.

Stephens. 5. Defending is the weakest part of his game. I'd move him forward alongside Romeu.

Bertrand. 6. Reasonable game but he's a damn good player so I expect him to be very good as a minimum so I'm not giving him any credit for playing within himself.

JWP 0 (zero). He isn't a footballer. Brushed off the ball by Januzai for probably the only time in the latter's career. Tried a Cruyff turn and couldn't execute it and didn't know what to do. Kills play because all he can do is pass sideways. Didn't score when he hit that shot in the second half. Played too much propaganda football: I wonder what Strachan would have made of him. Assume he has something on the club as I'd have cancelled his contract.

Redmond. 5. One of his quieter games. Bit like Bertrand but as he can do so much more and didn't he gets marked down. Liked the fact that he was shouting at players to give him an option and they were static when he had the ball. Liked the fact that he drove into the box, went for goal and had a shot with his left foot. Reasonable effort, too.

Tadic. 4. Reasonably talented. Too one-footed. Doesn't do a lot. Seems to have limited vision: is only aware of about 10 yards around him. One of his poorer games. I would probably get rid of him in the summer.

Barry/Gabby/Manny. 6. Makes a load of good runs that are ignored because the crab pass is on. Touch looks ok but not great. You can see his mind is working all the time: proper footballer.

Long. 5. Scored. Maybe should have got another with his header (and then my 5-0 prediction would have won me some cash) and did what he did.

As it's a cup final and so on I expect based on that performance which wasn't dissimilar to many of our others, in fact we've played better and lost, that Utd will beat us convincingly at Wembley.

Oh Dear God....I am so glad that I have a number of good things in my life....I have a number of hobbies so I don't feel the need to make myself seem like a "character" on a football forum to get my kicks and feel important......awaits the "It's called having an opinion pal" defence...[emoji42]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I noticed I forgot Romeu. 5. One of his poorer games. It was nothing other than my thoughts on the game. I see no reason to describe us as world beaters when we have beaten a team that seemed to me worse than any I saw when we were in League One: they were truly that terrible. I provided a balanced, consistent perspective to those who don't seem to know anything about football but do like to get too high when we win and too low when we lose (ta Nige). We played better at both Everton and Burnley and not dissimilar to today: crab football. Part of the difference was plainly Barry whose runs were picked up but as others have remarked it's not as though others e.g. SL, JRod haven't also done likewise. Be a shame to see JRod go: I think Puel's insistence on rotation for the sake of it is mismanagement and I wouldn't be surprised to see JRod go to Spurs (he made those comments about how good Poch was probably as a way of implying how poor Puel is) and be the link that helps them to the title. If he's played enough he'll find his form and he has to be better than Janssen.

Skate alert!

That last line confirms he's trolling.

Hopefully nobody will bite.

A bit weird in general with the low scores, the last line is one I agree with.

Bored of people calling out posters as trolls rather than actually trying to debate in civil manner why they disagree.

Bored of people calling out posters as trolls rather than actually trying to debate in civil manner why they disagree.

To give a player a 0 when he is generally acknowledged to have had a good game, and also provided an assist is not the mark of someone looking for a good debate. This is a deliberate attempt to stir and wind up. To demonstrate this, below are sky's player ratings. Now I rarely agree with Sky, but surely something is afoot when the opinion is that different?

c6202e5c055a33c34f7dfd7c101aec65.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To give a player a 0 when he is generally acknowledged to have had a good game, and also provided an assist is not the mark of someone looking for a good debate. This is a deliberate attempt to stir and wind up. To demonstrate this, below are sky's player ratings. Now I rarely agree with Sky, but surely something is afoot when the opinion is that different?

c6202e5c055a33c34f7dfd7c101aec65.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hence my point about it being a bit weird. To be fair the poster has backed up his opinion. Feel free to challenge him or not.

See how much better you can be at trolling when you really put your mind to it?

Implying that your own opinion us the balanced one in comparison to everyone else in particular is a classic. As is implying that the way other people react to sport is somehow inferior to yours. Chuck in a couple of insults at the manager/players, and mention Spurs coming in for our players and you're managing to push a lot of buttons there.

The players looked very comfortable in a 4-2-3-1 though the start to the game was shocking. I was genuinely worried but we steadied the ship and after the second goal went in you could see the confidence come back into the team. Ever since the takeover we've been a team that has thrived on confidence and momentum and the second half showed that.

Gabbiadini offers us something different up front and he looks good. Was blowing out of his arse after 15mins of the second half - I am sure his fitness will improve.

Thought Jack Stephens did brilliantly against Defoe as well and also clearly wound up Defoe at the same time - plenty of chatter between the two as the game went on. Think Stephens likes a bit of that.

The players looked very comfortable in a 4-2-3-1 though the start to the game was shocking. I was genuinely worried but we steadied the ship and after the second goal went in you could see the confidence come back into the team. Ever since the takeover we've been a team that has thrived on confidence and momentum and the second half showed that.

Gabbiadini offers us something different up front and he looks good. Was blowing out of his arse after 15mins of the second half - I am sure his fitness will improve.

Thought Jack Stephens did brilliantly against Defoe as well and also clearly wound up Defoe at the same time - plenty of chatter between the two as the game went on. Think Stephens likes a bit of that.

Exactly confidence is a big thing having someone up font who can actual find the net will play a big part in that.

Hence my point about it being a bit weird. To be fair the poster has backed up his opinion. Feel free to challenge him or not.

I refuse to ever quote an obvious trolling post; and your acceptance of what everyone else can clearly see is one of the reasons why I now also refuse to pay a fiver. Anyway, moving on.........

Gabbi will obviously take all the headlines and plaudits. I really wish we could have signed him in the summer instead of (or, better still, as wells as) Boufal. However, big shout outs to Stephens, Yoshida, JWP, Tadic and my MoM (again) Romeu.

Whilst I gave my MoM to Romeu, I really want to point out what a great performance Jack Stephens put in today.Many of the posters on here were begging for us to buy Defoe in January (as opposed to the magnificent Gabbiadini) but today Jack Stephens had Defoe in his pocket all match.

Jack's previous best match was at Anfield. Following this one, I feel he will be very much looking forward to Wembley, and I will be very happy to see hid name on the team sheet. I hope this will see the end of posters calling for Bertrand to play at CB (in a back four) instead of Stephens being given his opportunity to shine.

Well played Saints!!!!!!!

Yo Gabba Gabba's goals were good but it was the second half banter between Defoe and Stephens that was a highlight for me, Stephens just laughing at him and not being intimidated (good lad!).

If we beat Man U at Wembley and lift the Cup will you be checking into the Priory for Counselling?

Hmmmm, no rating at all for Romeu. I'll go with 3 tried hard and dominated midfield throughout the match never missing a tackle or misplacing a pass but I expect more against such weak opposition.

Superb game.

It had drive, action, sapping energy the lot.

When you desperately needed those 3 points you knew Farrell was going to step up to the plate.

;)

As for Saints that was a much needed win, Gabby looks like a real bargain.

Napoli must of been mad getting rid of him.

Dangermouth does have a point in that you can perhaps take into account opposition when giving marks, but that works both ways. When we are up against say Chelsea in full flow and things don't go our way you'd need to not be as harsh with your marking. Not sure that is going to happen.

He's also right to say we have played better at Burnely for example and not got the reward.

That said Sunderland struggled because we didn't let them play. I disagree with he comments about Cedric. Janazi looked a handful, but when he earned half a yard Soares made sure he wasn't going to get away. Very solid display from him.

I have no problem with giving low marks even if we win, but it wasn't a lucky underserved victory.

With regards to JWP it feels like people have jumped on a bandwagon with him. I have been critical of him for years, but always with the caveat that he is young and needs time. I actually feel he has improved a lot this season. He's still got a long way to go, but he is starting to mature. Ok so there is a shed load of square passes, but even he knows he is being criticised for that and is trying to be more forward thinking. He had a steady game today. Nothing special, but equally not deserved of a 0.

Edited by Chez

It's our biggest win of the season. We played relatively well and our new forward scored two goals, while a lot of the team showed promising signs. Responding to that with player scores that range from zero to six, with an average of four, that's either trolling or just being miserable. You can say, as you did, "the poster has backed up his opinion" but saying, for example, that Tadic - in his best game of the season so far - had "one of his poorer games" and that we should "get rid" of him isn't backing up an opinion. It's just adding to the nonsense of the score. Whatever though. I'd rather be happy about a win, but to each his own.

Let's hope he learns a few Swedish insults before his next game then.

Fantastic result - well done Saints. Just goes to show the difference having a quality striker makes to the team.With VVD and Caceres to come in should be a decent finish to the season.

totally agreed very good performance you have got to take your chances

There's no point in debating/arguing when the poster is so deluded. Hence why, in my opinion, he is trolling.

As for the last line - Rodriguez has had a run in the team. And on many occasions, he hasn't performed. Tottenham won't come sniffing at all for him, he isn't good enough. I do hope he turns it around. He has shown glimpses of his former self but not consistently.

Sometimes, a serious injury ruins a player. Sadly, I think this has been the case with Jay, at least for now. I totally respect his desire to play and hope that he can come to terms with not coming on as a sub......I'll wish him the best for whatever he decides whether it is a move or to play on for Saints. Either way, getting seriously crocked robbed us of seeing a great talent for a LONG time in the short playing time that these guys get to shine. I'll alaways wish him well, whatever he decides to do in the future.

Edited by Ohio Saint

Here are my opinions. Please forgive me for using your original post to add my own opinions - might seem rude, but absolutely not intended that way, nor am I being sarcastic (maybe except the final line?). I merely wanted to avoid lots of 'type-look-type-look' activity. And I agreed with a lot of your points (though not the ratings - sorry):

Sunderland. I've seen better Championship teams. I feel we made them look bad - well, after the first 20 mins anyway... Maybe we were 'working them out'?

Marks based on the fact that the opposition looked like they'd forgotten last week's Palace mauling. If they do not finish bottom of the pile then I will be surprised.

Forster. 5. Punched away the first half from a corner. Saved what was hit at him. Still a bit immobile, so he'd have been glad of a quiet game. Clean sheet: he'll be happy, as I am.

Cedric. 6 Ok. Shouldn't ever shoot. Can't beat a man every time. Had to play against the paper-thin and lightweight Januzai who also pushed JWP around. Made some marauding runs up the flank, but needs to improve his crossing.

Stephens. 6. Defending is the main part of his game. I'd have loaned him out, but for VvD's injury & sale of Fonte. Kept Defoe quiet, while laughing at him - worth an extra mark just for that!

Yoshida. 6. Decent enough. More solid alongside Stephens this time. Clean sheet? I'll take that, whatever the opposition.

Bertrand. 8. Reasonable game but he's a damn good player so I expect him to be very good as a minimum so I'm giving him credit for playing his normal game.

Romeu. 7. Not one of his poorer games, but he didn't rule the midfield like he has recently - maybe Davis alongside took some pressure off him?

Davis. 7. No opposition to trouble him, but provided a good foil for Romeu in DM, keeping their attacks increasingly quiet. He's actually played a lot better in his main CM position.

JWP 4 (four). He is a professional footballer, but too easily brushed off the ball by Januzai. Tried a Lallana turn and couldn't execute it and didn't know what to do. Kills open play because all he can do is pass sideways or backwards. Didn't score when he hit that shot in the second half. Played too much slow-down football. Assume he has something on the club as I'd have sold him a year ago.

Redmond. 7. One of his usual games. Bit like Bertrand but as he can do so much more. Liked the fact that he was shouting at players to give him an option and they were static when he had the ball. Liked the fact that he drove into the box, went for goal and had a shot with his left foot. Reasonable effort, too.

Tadic. 8. Reasonably talented. Too one-footed, but so was Puskas. Hasn't donea lot in recent games, but this was much better and he seemed happier with someone (Gabba) moving more incisively ahead of him. I would definitely not get rid of him in the summer.

Barry/Gabby/Manny. 8. Makes a load of good runs that are ignored because the crab pass is on too often. Touch looks ok but not great. You can see his mind is working all the time: proper footballer. 2 goals took the wind out of Sunderland's sails.

Long. 5. Scored. Maybe should have got another with his header but played his usual game, chasing everything that moved.

Hojbjerg. 3. Not on long enough to earn a higher rating.

As it's a cup final and so on I expect based on that performance which wasn't dissimilar to many of our others, in fact we've played better and lost, that Utd will not beat us convincingly at Wembley.

I agree but can understand why he's s frustrated, he was obviously told he couldn't go to West Brom in january and now isn't being used.

He would get as little playing time there as SRL did last season.

He threw his shinpads when Saints made their third sub and it wasn't him.

Yet we only made 2. Long and Hojbjerg.

Good win but I'm keeping my feet firmly on the ground. We've still only won 2 in the last 8 league games, against Leicester and bottom of the table, Sunderland. People got all giddy when we beat Leicester and look what we did after that. We're completely unpredictable.

Oh, and I'd still be starting Long ahead of Redmond. He works harder and seems to have a better idea of how to find the back of the net.

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

Good win but I'm keeping my feet firmly on the ground. We've still only won 2 in the last 8 league games, against Leicester and bottom of the table, Sunderland. People got all giddy when we beat Leicester and look what we did after that. We're completely unpredictable.

Oh, and I'd still be starting Long ahead of Redmond. He works harder and seems to have a better idea of how to find the back of the net.

It's a good point. Ask Daley Blind or Antonio Valencia who they would prefer to play against. Long or Redmond? Junior Henry gets benched everytime.

Edited by St Chalet

Delighted by today's result. Sunderland were very poor, but they played ok for 25 mins. During this time Saints stayed strong and played for each other. This was such a welcome change from the home game against Wet Spam. I had been very worried by the body language and quarreling between some players, Jrod in particular, in that game. Puel has used the extra training time well as far as I can tell. Just need a bit of fortune and this season could yet be an improvement on last year...

Sunderland also had a 4-0 win away from home, last week at Palace while we were losing 3-1 at home to WHU. Anyone who draws conclusions about whether a team is 'good' or 'poor' on the basis of individual results can't have been following football for very long.

. People got all giddy when we beat Leicester and look what we did after that. We're completely unpredictable.

The only giddy people on this forum have been the utter dins who have spent the last few weeks dribbling about how we're getting relegated even though it is painfully obvious we aren't going to be.

Sunderland also had a 4-0 win away from home, last week at Palace while we were losing 3-1 at home to WHU. Anyone who draws conclusions about whether a team is 'good' or 'poor' on the basis of individual results can't have been following football for very long.

Sure you're right, but today showed some promising signs. It's nice to see our new forward scoring goals, and to see Tadic linking up with him well today. Today, for the final 65 minutes of the game, our team was good. I'll take that. We can enjoy that for two weeks now.

The only giddy people on this forum have been the utter dins who have spent the last few weeks dribbling about how we're getting relegated even though it is painfully obvious we aren't going to be.

You were running round calling everyone "dins" and saying it was painfully obvious we'd sign a CB in January.......