View Poll Results: MotM vs Sunderland (A 2016/17)

Voters
372. You may not vote on this poll
  • Forster

    1 0.27%
  • Bertrand

    25 6.72%
  • Soares

    0 0%
  • Yoshida

    1 0.27%
  • Stephens

    11 2.96%
  • Romeu

    69 18.55%
  • Davis

    2 0.54%
  • Ward-Prowse

    11 2.96%
  • Tadić

    24 6.45%
  • Redmond

    1 0.27%
  • Gabbiadini

    224 60.22%
  • Højbjerg

    2 0.54%
  • Long

    1 0.27%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 304

Thread: Sunderland 0 Saints 4 - Post Match Humble Pie

  1. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saints foreva View Post
    Liking the look of Barry. Thats 3 goals in 2 games.

    Variety too... One left foot, one right and one with the right arm.

  2. #202

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    3,116
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meatball View Post
    To give a player a 0 when he is generally acknowledged to have had a good game, and also provided an assist is not the mark of someone looking for a good debate. This is a deliberate attempt to stir and wind up. To demonstrate this, below are sky's player ratings. Now I rarely agree with Sky, but surely something is afoot when the opinion is that different?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    I laughed at dangermouths post tbf, then moved on!
    Felt like a light hearted joke

  3. #203

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the tattooists where the pain is exquisite...
    Posts
    3,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nta786 View Post
    I laughed at dangermouths post tbf, then moved on!
    Felt like a light hearted joke
    yeah. He's obviously joking. If not then he's clueless.

  4. #204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stknowle View Post
    Hmmmm, no rating at all for Romeu. I'll go with 3 tried hard and dominated midfield throughout the match never missing a tackle or misplacing a pass but I expect more against such weak opposition.
    This. Too easy to get a '4' these days

  5. Default

    Lol @ the troll. JWP was very good today.

    My conspiracy theory is that the resident trolls get free membership here because of all the internet traffic they generate. Dangermouse earned his corn tonight with plenty of nibbles.

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St Chalet View Post
    A bit weird in general with the low scores, the last line is one I agree with.

    Bored of people calling out posters as trolls rather than actually trying to debate in civil manner why they disagree.
    How can you have a sensible debate about scores that are self-evident nonsense. Sorry to disagree but he is trolling - either that or he is clueless.

  7. #207

    Default

    I put my hands up, fully expected us to lose yesterday.

    With Sunderland winning 4-0 at Palace the week before and our barren run I thought it would be an easy Sunderland win for sure, even backed them for £10 to beat us, but fortunately we actually turned up for once and put in a performance, albeit against very poor opposition.

    Am I right in thinking that after all this time Puel the fool has finally found the 4-2-3-1 formation?!

  8. #208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlakeySFC View Post
    I put my hands up, fully expected us to lose yesterday.

    With Sunderland winning 4-0 at Palace the week before and our barren run I thought it would be an easy Sunderland win for sure, even backed them for £10 to beat us, but fortunately we actually turned up for once and put in a performance, albeit against very poor opposition.

    Am I right in thinking that after all this time Puel the fool has finally found the 4-2-3-1 formation?!
    I think Puel the fool has finally found a striker who can put the ball in the back of the net. God knows why the fool hasn't played him until the last couple of matches. Or waited 7 days between playing matches. Up until now he's insisted on playing every 3 or 4 days. Puel the fool out!

  9. #209

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Maybush
    Posts
    102

    Default

    I thought Ward-Prowse was superb

  10. #210

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Still last on the US version of MOTD

  11. #211

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Paarl South africa
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by washsaint View Post
    What are the cry babies on this forum going to complain about over the next 2 weeks then? Great performance after a dodgy start - and for all you JWP haters: f*** you. he was superb today as he has been on the whole recently.

    7 or 8 would have been a fair reflection of that game and I think you can safely put to bed any thoughts of a relegation battle - much to the disappointment of quite a few on here I'm sure.
    This JWP is becoming a midfield dynamo

    Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

  12. #212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USA SaintsFan View Post
    Still last on the US version of MOTD
    After Boro v Everton?. #TrumpOut

  13. #213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by washsaint View Post
    and for all you JWP haters: f*** you. he was superb today as he has been on the whole recently.
    I don't hate JWP so I politely refuse your kind invitation to make love with myself. He has been nothing short of atrocious this season and the previous 3 or 4 seasons but today was excellent. Let's hope he kicks on.

  14. #214

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Paarl South africa
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niceandfriendly View Post
    I don't hate JWP so I politely refuse your kind invitation to make love with myself. He has been nothing short of atrocious this season and the previous 3 or 4 seasons but today was excellent. Let's hope he kicks on.
    Hes been our best midfielder this season. Hes still young and will be a great player for saints for years to come

    Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

  15. #215

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    13,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaffaSaint View Post
    This JWP is becoming a midfield dynamo

    Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Wish he'd show a few more magic tricks....

  16. #216

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    13,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaffaSaint View Post
    Hes been our best midfielder this season. Hes still young and will be a great player for saints for years to come

    Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk
    errr what? look JWP is much improved this season but there is no way he has been better than Romeu (or even Davis) this season.

  17. #217

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Paarl South africa
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    errr what? look JWP is much improved this season but there is no way he has been better than Romeu (or even Davis) this season.
    Yeah sorry forgot romeu. I meant out of the four shuttle mids he is my pick

    Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

  18. #218

    Default

    The winner today was our formation change, please don't go back to 4-3-3 for a bit.

    Davis and Romeu holding.

    JWP on the right to cross balls in, Tadic in the centre pulling the strings and Redders on the left creating space for ryan to move into.

    Manolo being an Italian assasin

  19. #219

    Default

    Excellent performance and result.

    Gabbiadini looks excellent, Tadic looked on his game, and I really liked the 1-2 for Long's goal.

    Really important to win this game after our poor run. Everyone stood up to be counted. Fair play.

  20. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Convict Colony View Post
    The winner today was our formation change, please don't go back to 4-3-3 for a bit.

    Davis and Romeu holding.

    JWP on the right to cross balls in, Tadic in the centre pulling the strings and Redders on the left creating space for ryan to move into.

    Manolo being an Italian assasin
    Agree. I'm not 100% sure Davis will be as good at holding against better sides though.

  21. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5string View Post
    Here are my opinions. Please forgive me for using your original post to add my own opinions - might seem rude, but absolutely not intended that way, nor am I being sarcastic (maybe except the final line?). I merely wanted to avoid lots of 'type-look-type-look' activity. And I agreed with a lot of your points (though not the ratings - sorry):

    Sunderland. I've seen better Championship teams. I feel we made them look bad - well, after the first 20 mins anyway... Maybe we were 'working them out'?

    Marks based on the fact that the opposition looked like they'd forgotten last week's Palace mauling. If they do not finish bottom of the pile then I will be surprised.

    Forster. 5. Punched away the first half from a corner. Saved what was hit at him. Still a bit immobile, so he'd have been glad of a quiet game. Clean sheet: he'll be happy, as I am.

    Cedric. 6 Ok. Shouldn't ever shoot. Can't beat a man every time. Had to play against the paper-thin and lightweight Januzai who also pushed JWP around. Made some marauding runs up the flank, but needs to improve his crossing.

    Stephens. 6. Defending is the main part of his game. I'd have loaned him out, but for VvD's injury & sale of Fonte. Kept Defoe quiet, while laughing at him - worth an extra mark just for that!

    Yoshida. 6. Decent enough. More solid alongside Stephens this time. Clean sheet? I'll take that, whatever the opposition.

    Bertrand. 8. Reasonable game but he's a damn good player so I expect him to be very good as a minimum so I'm giving him credit for playing his normal game.

    Romeu. 7. Not one of his poorer games, but he didn't rule the midfield like he has recently - maybe Davis alongside took some pressure off him?

    Davis. 7. No opposition to trouble him, but provided a good foil for Romeu in DM, keeping their attacks increasingly quiet. He's actually played a lot better in his main CM position.

    JWP 4 (four). He is a professional footballer, but too easily brushed off the ball by Januzai. Tried a Lallana turn and couldn't execute it and didn't know what to do. Kills open play because all he can do is pass sideways or backwards. Didn't score when he hit that shot in the second half. Played too much slow-down football. Assume he has something on the club as I'd have sold him a year ago.

    Redmond. 7. One of his usual games. Bit like Bertrand but as he can do so much more. Liked the fact that he was shouting at players to give him an option and they were static when he had the ball. Liked the fact that he drove into the box, went for goal and had a shot with his left foot. Reasonable effort, too.

    Tadic. 8. Reasonably talented. Too one-footed, but so was Puskas. Hasn't donea lot in recent games, but this was much better and he seemed happier with someone (Gabba) moving more incisively ahead of him. I would definitely not get rid of him in the summer.

    Barry/Gabby/Manny. 8. Makes a load of good runs that are ignored because the crab pass is on too often. Touch looks ok but not great. You can see his mind is working all the time: proper footballer. 2 goals took the wind out of Sunderland's sails.

    Long. 5. Scored. Maybe should have got another with his header but played his usual game, chasing everything that moved.

    Hojbjerg. 3. Not on long enough to earn a higher rating.

    As it's a cup final and so on I expect based on that performance which wasn't dissimilar to many of our others, in fact we've played better and lost, that Utd will not beat us convincingly at Wembley.
    Good summary
    Bit harsh on JWP I think
    In my opinion worth more than a 4

  22. #222

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andover/Isleworth
    Posts
    7,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miserableoldgit View Post
    You missed a f*c king brilliant game!!

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Wouldn't of thought so, it's Rugby.

  23. #223

    Default

    Not sure why this is humble pie? Was blatantly obvious that we'd win this and I called us smashing them in the pre match thread then bet on it. If people really think we're worse than Sunderland they should take a step back and have a good look at how we've been playing under Puel. We've just needed an effective striker and we now have one!

    Gabbi's off the ball movement is superb and he links very well with our midfielders and tadic in particular. It's just a shame that the club sold Fonte when vvd was injured, that will probably cost us a fortune in league position come may.

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

  24. #224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Saint View Post
    Sometimes, a serious injury ruins a player. Sadly, I think this has been the case with Jay, at least for now. I totally respect his desire to play and hope that he can come to terms with not coming on as a sub......I'll wish him the best for whatever he decides whether it is a move or to play on for Saints. Either way, getting seriously crocked robbed us of seeing a great talent for a LONG time in the short playing time that these guys get to shine. I'll alaways wish him well, whatever he decides to do in the future.
    If he had not got the injury he was going to Spurs. I know that as a fact as at the time I knew somebody who knew him socially, he was off with Poch. I'm very sorry he got injured but we would be talking of him as another who jumped ship had he not got injured. The club have looked after him and in time he may recover to his old form but it is no good having a paddy if he doesn't perform when he does play

  25. #225

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gotham city
    Posts
    4,565

    Default

    Great result & a definite step in the right direction but some people are very naive & short sighted, one win does not mean an immediate u turn some people that were calling puel useless & the worst manager ever are now back to the puels is a "master tactician" camp, there is a long way to go & let's not forget we have still seen more turgid lifeless effortless games this season than good ones.

    That said we now have what looks to be a promising new striker & most likely a new defender so puel has to be given time to utilise these new players & learn his best team, he will be given the rest of the season no doubt about that


    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

  26. #226

    Default

    It's bloody hard not to get too low when we lose or too high when we win, but thats what some great years has done to saints fans. We have, in relative terms, been spoilt by some great football, players and teams in recent times. There was bound to be a drop off. It's been hard to readjust expectations, but we are a mid table kind of team right now, which considering the talent that has departed is not too shabby. That said, we have spent a few bob to replace that talent, so maybe we are pretty much the exact team you'd expect under the circumstances.

  27. #227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    If he had not got the injury he was going to Spurs. I know that as a fact as at the time I knew somebody who knew him socially, he was off with Poch. I'm very sorry he got injured but we would be talking of him as another who jumped ship had he not got injured. The club have looked after him and in time he may recover to his old form but it is no good having a paddy if he doesn't perform when he does play
    No way did he deserve a starting spot yesterday after his abysmal performance last week.

    He is our 3rd best striker, and as a wide man there are a few more in front of him at the moment.

  28. #228

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    8,754
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    It's bloody hard not to get too low when we lose or too high when we win, but thats what some great years has done to saints fans. We have, in relative terms, been spoilt by some great football, players and teams in recent times. There was bound to be a drop off. It's been hard to readjust expectations, but we are a mid table kind of team right now, which considering the talent that has departed is not too shabby. That said, we have spent a few bob to replace that talent, so maybe we are pretty much the exact team you'd expect under the circumstances.
    A consistent mid table premier team is the dream. An occasional good run in the Cups (although personally not that bothered), and giving the big boys the odd bloody nose.
    Finishing high enough to achieve respectability ad avoiding qualifying for Europe. I say that, because we are not really big enough to facilitate a European campaign as has been proven this season.

  29. #229

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gävle, Sweden
    Posts
    3,481

    Default

    The performance was essentially bit that different from the match against West Ham. The difference was finishing (and maybe a bit of luck).

    As I pointed out after the match last week we had more expected goals then West Ham (1.3 vs 0.5 xG).
    Yesterday we were slightly better with 1.6 vs 0.2 xG. To get a return of 4 goals from that is very generous (1.6 vs 0.2 is a very good performance).

    The point I'm making is that we have been playing quite well without getting results in some matches. If you want to be critical of performances look no further then Burley, West Brom or the Swansea games.

  30. Default

    The difference yesterday was someone who can score. All season i've been saying we are not that 'boring' but we can't put it in the net, which obviously is key in terms of entertainment. Yesterday I didn't see us playing any differently to many games this season, the difference is a striker who can make good runs and can finish. Goals = exciting. Quality up front = goals.

  31. #231

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    4,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouth View Post
    Sunderland. I've seen better subbuteo teams.

    Marks based on the fact that the opposition looked like they'd never seen a football before. If they do not finish bottom of the pile then I will be surprised.

    Forster. 3. Air punch in the first half from a corner. Saved what what hit straight at him. Didn't even make an effort for the disallowed goal whereas a good keeper would always want to not let a goal in.

    Cedric. 5 Ok. Can't shoot. Can't beat a man very much. Had to play against the paper-thin and lightweight Januzai who fell to the floor a lot. A generous mark but I feel like it.

    Stephens. 5. Defending is the weakest part of his game. I'd move him forward alongside Romeu.

    Yoshida. 5. Decent enough.

    Bertrand. 6. Reasonable game but he's a damn good player so I expect him to be very good as a minimum so I'm not giving him any credit for playing within himself.

    Davis. 5. No opposition to trouble him. He's actually played a lot better.

    JWP 0 (zero). He isn't a footballer. Brushed off the ball by Januzai for probably the only time in the latter's career. Tried a Cruyff turn and couldn't execute it and didn't know what to do. Kills play because all he can do is pass sideways. Didn't score when he hit that shot in the second half. Played too much propaganda football: I wonder what Strachan would have made of him. Assume he has something on the club as I'd have cancelled his contract.

    Redmond. 5. One of his quieter games. Bit like Bertrand but as he can do so much more and didn't he gets marked down. Liked the fact that he was shouting at players to give him an option and they were static when he had the ball. Liked the fact that he drove into the box, went for goal and had a shot with his left foot. Reasonable effort, too.

    Tadic. 4. Reasonably talented. Too one-footed. Doesn't do a lot. Seems to have limited vision: is only aware of about 10 yards around him. One of his poorer games. I would probably get rid of him in the summer.

    Barry/Gabby/Manny. 6. Makes a load of good runs that are ignored because the crab pass is on. Touch looks ok but not great. You can see his mind is working all the time: proper footballer.

    Long. 5. Scored. Maybe should have got another with his header (and then my 5-0 prediction would have won me some cash) and did what he did.

    Hojbjerg. No mark. Not on long enough.

    As it's a cup final and so on I expect based on that performance which wasn't dissimilar to many of our others, in fact we've played better and lost, that Utd will beat us convincingly at Wembley.
    You forgot Romeu and you are quite clearly an imbecile but thanks for all the effort.

  32. #232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    It's bloody hard not to get too low when we lose or too high when we win, but thats what some great years has done to saints fans. We have, in relative terms, been spoilt by some great football, players and teams in recent times. There was bound to be a drop off. It's been hard to readjust expectations, but we are a mid table kind of team right now, which considering the talent that has departed is not too shabby. That said, we have spent a few bob to replace that talent, so maybe we are pretty much the exact team you'd expect under the circumstances.
    Amen to that.

    At the mo if all are fit I think we are a couple away from being near the top of the middle tier of the PL.

    CB
    AM

  33. #233

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    1,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalek2003 View Post
    A consistent mid table premier team is the dream.
    That's a poor dream though. A realistic thing to aim for? Sure, very much so. But my dreams involve winning the Champions League.

  34. #234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St Chalet View Post
    A bit weird in general with the low scores, the last line is one I agree with.

    Bored of people calling out posters as trolls rather than actually trying to debate in civil manner why they disagree.
    Thank you for the opportunity (as I see it) to respond St Chalet and while I normally would simply ignore others and concentrate on other matters I will on this occasion respond to those who seem to want to censor me:

    Sirs (I assume none of you are ladies),

    I do not know you, nor would I wish to. Therefore upon what premise do you base your suggestions that I have intended deliberately to court your (meaningless) attention or have you 'bite' in response to what was my own personal view based on my attendance at yesterday's game?

    I will address a couple of other points that were made, but only those. After that it is for you to decide to continue to debate irrelevances or take a more pragmatic approach.

    Some have said my marks are low. They are and they will always be relative to those who simply throw them away and/or do not consider quite what it is they are doing: that is how I do it. I did, for all of you who singularly failed to read and comprehend the comment in the post I made, state that I had amended the marks to reflect the paucity (feel free to look it up should you require: none of you seem to have demonstrated much, if anything, by way of intelligence) of the opposition. Were, for example, the full Real Madrid team to play Taunton's tenth team and trounce them with Bale scoring 20 would you give him a 10/10 or would you (sensibly, so perhaps it is a vain hope) make some comment akin to “That was a pointless exercise, why bother?” i.e. you would modify your appreciation of something in light of the facts. One of the comments on a Sunderland site was that we'd strolled it at 50% so why not recognise that?

    Forster was given a 7 by the Sky website but what did he really do? He didn't try to stop the disallowed goal and he missed a punch from a corner and made some regulation saves. Other than that he was a bystander. Now unless you want to give a 7 as a mark for someone who could almost have sat down in the crowd with a cuppa you would have to question that mark. I think he should have looked to have never let any shot past him – Niemi wouldn't have as a matter of “Keeper's Honour” and apart from the little things that he did that he was expected to he (so I understand from looking at matters later). I have now seen the handball and do consider that while this was enough to mean Forster wouldn't get to it I do think he should have come for it. Someone like Lloris would.

    Many of you no doubt don't watch players in the warm up. You can tell a lot about a player in a warm up and see those who play functionally and those who 'caress the ball' and the latter are usually the better players. The Sunderland team were awful and given that a football should be like a second skin to a professional player the way they kicked the ball was distinctly amateur. This ties in with my criticism of JWP. Again, I didn't see he had assisted SL's goal because it was a long way away from us but even on MOTD he was given a lot of space and time to hit that gaping hole where SL was waiting. What I dislike about him is that he looks 'coached' (and if you've ever played against anyone who has been coached you'll know what I mean but not a natural football player. His posture is wrong, he address the ball wrongly and he seems to just do things without regard for what is really happening about him. He also seems slow mentally which makes me think that he can't react instinctively and there is nothing in how he plays and moves that makes me think he's a footballer. OR is because there are many times when he tackles someone, gets the ball and is surrounded by 3 or 4 players and still comes away with the ball just by pushing it into the right space: he understands football.

    The game itself was a poor spectacle by and large and not unlike watching parks football at times, particularly when Sunderland had the ball. Quite how so many can be enthused by the performance I cannot fathom; although the result was welcome, but expected.

    To conclude:

    Now you might be all so full of your own self-importance to believe that someone is interested only in seeking to 'get a rise' out of you, but you are wrong. You are irrelevant, quite frankly, so I would suggest that should you be able you look at the world you inhabit and yourselves critically and recognise that it is there wherein you will find the failings, not with I.

  35. #235

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wokingham, Berkshire
    Posts
    7,292

    Default

    The most patronising post on the forum in years. You are welcome to your opinion on the game, but not to cast it over other forum members.

  36. #236

    Default

    Fck me why do people drivel on writing such long posts. No self awareness. TLDR.

  37. #237

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    13,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouth View Post
    Thank you for the opportunity (as I see it) to respond St Chalet and while I normally would simply ignore others and concentrate on other matters I will on this occasion respond to those who seem to want to censor me:

    Sirs (I assume none of you are ladies),

    I do not know you, nor would I wish to. Therefore upon what premise do you base your suggestions that I have intended deliberately to court your (meaningless) attention or have you 'bite' in response to what was my own personal view based on my attendance at yesterday's game?

    I will address a couple of other points that were made, but only those. After that it is for you to decide to continue to debate irrelevances or take a more pragmatic approach.

    Some have said my marks are low. They are and they will always be relative to those who simply throw them away and/or do not consider quite what it is they are doing: that is how I do it. I did, for all of you who singularly failed to read and comprehend the comment in the post I made, state that I had amended the marks to reflect the paucity (feel free to look it up should you require: none of you seem to have demonstrated much, if anything, by way of intelligence) of the opposition. Were, for example, the full Real Madrid team to play Taunton's tenth team and trounce them with Bale scoring 20 would you give him a 10/10 or would you (sensibly, so perhaps it is a vain hope) make some comment akin to “That was a pointless exercise, why bother?” i.e. you would modify your appreciation of something in light of the facts. One of the comments on a Sunderland site was that we'd strolled it at 50% so why not recognise that?

    Forster was given a 7 by the Sky website but what did he really do? He didn't try to stop the disallowed goal and he missed a punch from a corner and made some regulation saves. Other than that he was a bystander. Now unless you want to give a 7 as a mark for someone who could almost have sat down in the crowd with a cuppa you would have to question that mark. I think he should have looked to have never let any shot past him – Niemi wouldn't have as a matter of “Keeper's Honour” and apart from the little things that he did that he was expected to he (so I understand from looking at matters later). I have now seen the handball and do consider that while this was enough to mean Forster wouldn't get to it I do think he should have come for it. Someone like Lloris would.

    Many of you no doubt don't watch players in the warm up. You can tell a lot about a player in a warm up and see those who play functionally and those who 'caress the ball' and the latter are usually the better players. The Sunderland team were awful and given that a football should be like a second skin to a professional player the way they kicked the ball was distinctly amateur. This ties in with my criticism of JWP. Again, I didn't see he had assisted SL's goal because it was a long way away from us but even on MOTD he was given a lot of space and time to hit that gaping hole where SL was waiting. What I dislike about him is that he looks 'coached' (and if you've ever played against anyone who has been coached you'll know what I mean but not a natural football player. His posture is wrong, he address the ball wrongly and he seems to just do things without regard for what is really happening about him. He also seems slow mentally which makes me think that he can't react instinctively and there is nothing in how he plays and moves that makes me think he's a footballer. OR is because there are many times when he tackles someone, gets the ball and is surrounded by 3 or 4 players and still comes away with the ball just by pushing it into the right space: he understands football.

    The game itself was a poor spectacle by and large and not unlike watching parks football at times, particularly when Sunderland had the ball. Quite how so many can be enthused by the performance I cannot fathom; although the result was welcome, but expected.

    To conclude:

    Now you might be all so full of your own self-importance to believe that someone is interested only in seeking to 'get a rise' out of you, but you are wrong. You are irrelevant, quite frankly, so I would suggest that should you be able you look at the world you inhabit and yourselves critically and recognise that it is there wherein you will find the failings, not with I.
    To conclude:

    You don't care what people think and to prove it you're going to write several paragraphs to justify what you think.............yeah ok

  38. #238

    Default

    Anyone would think we actually beat a top side rather than the worst team in the league.

    Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

  39. Default

    Christ, this is the most tedious, self-important post-match thread ever.

  40. #240

    Default

    I didn't read it, but the replies afterwards sum it all up.

  41. #241

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    5,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St Chalet View Post
    The most patronising post on the forum in years. You are welcome to your opinion on the game, but not to cast it over other forum members.
    So can we call him a Troll now ?

  42. #242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouth View Post
    Thank you for the opportunity (as I see it) to respond St Chalet and while I normally would simply ignore others and concentrate on other matters I will on this occasion respond to those who seem to want to censor me:

    Sirs (I assume none of you are ladies),

    I do not know you, nor would I wish to. Therefore upon what premise do you base your suggestions that I have intended deliberately to court your (meaningless) attention or have you 'bite' in response to what was my own personal view based on my attendance at yesterday's game?

    I will address a couple of other points that were made, but only those. After that it is for you to decide to continue to debate irrelevances or take a more pragmatic approach.

    Some have said my marks are low. They are and they will always be relative to those who simply throw them away and/or do not consider quite what it is they are doing: that is how I do it. I did, for all of you who singularly failed to read and comprehend the comment in the post I made, state that I had amended the marks to reflect the paucity (feel free to look it up should you require: none of you seem to have demonstrated much, if anything, by way of intelligence) of the opposition. Were, for example, the full Real Madrid team to play Taunton's tenth team and trounce them with Bale scoring 20 would you give him a 10/10 or would you (sensibly, so perhaps it is a vain hope) make some comment akin to “That was a pointless exercise, why bother?” i.e. you would modify your appreciation of something in light of the facts. One of the comments on a Sunderland site was that we'd strolled it at 50% so why not recognise that?

    Forster was given a 7 by the Sky website but what did he really do? He didn't try to stop the disallowed goal and he missed a punch from a corner and made some regulation saves. Other than that he was a bystander. Now unless you want to give a 7 as a mark for someone who could almost have sat down in the crowd with a cuppa you would have to question that mark. I think he should have looked to have never let any shot past him – Niemi wouldn't have as a matter of “Keeper's Honour” and apart from the little things that he did that he was expected to he (so I understand from looking at matters later). I have now seen the handball and do consider that while this was enough to mean Forster wouldn't get to it I do think he should have come for it. Someone like Lloris would.

    Many of you no doubt don't watch players in the warm up. You can tell a lot about a player in a warm up and see those who play functionally and those who 'caress the ball' and the latter are usually the better players. The Sunderland team were awful and given that a football should be like a second skin to a professional player the way they kicked the ball was distinctly amateur. This ties in with my criticism of JWP. Again, I didn't see he had assisted SL's goal because it was a long way away from us but even on MOTD he was given a lot of space and time to hit that gaping hole where SL was waiting. What I dislike about him is that he looks 'coached' (and if you've ever played against anyone who has been coached you'll know what I mean but not a natural football player. His posture is wrong, he address the ball wrongly and he seems to just do things without regard for what is really happening about him. He also seems slow mentally which makes me think that he can't react instinctively and there is nothing in how he plays and moves that makes me think he's a footballer. OR is because there are many times when he tackles someone, gets the ball and is surrounded by 3 or 4 players and still comes away with the ball just by pushing it into the right space: he understands football.

    The game itself was a poor spectacle by and large and not unlike watching parks football at times, particularly when Sunderland had the ball. Quite how so many can be enthused by the performance I cannot fathom; although the result was welcome, but expected.

    To conclude:

    Now you might be all so full of your own self-importance to believe that someone is interested only in seeking to 'get a rise' out of you, but you are wrong. You are irrelevant, quite frankly, so I would suggest that should you be able you look at the world you inhabit and yourselves critically and recognise that it is there wherein you will find the failings, not with I.
    I have been watching Saints for 60 years....other people's opinions on a performance, whilst interesting, don't really concern me or effect me....but this reply is probably one of the most self-obsessed and patronising things that I have ever read on here....if I could be bothered, I would count the number of times that you use the word "I" in this post....says a lot I think....

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  43. #243

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    5,863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouth View Post
    Thank you for the opportunity (as I see it) to respond St Chalet and while I normally would simply ignore others and concentrate on other matters I will on this occasion respond to those who seem to want to censor me:

    Sirs (I assume none of you are ladies),

    I do not know you, nor would I wish to. Therefore upon what premise do you base your suggestions that I have intended deliberately to court your (meaningless) attention or have you 'bite' in response to what was my own personal view based on my attendance at yesterday's game?

    I will address a couple of other points that were made, but only those. After that it is for you to decide to continue to debate irrelevances or take a more pragmatic approach.

    Some have said my marks are low. They are and they will always be relative to those who simply throw them away and/or do not consider quite what it is they are doing: that is how I do it. I did, for all of you who singularly failed to read and comprehend the comment in the post I made, state that I had amended the marks to reflect the paucity (feel free to look it up should you require: none of you seem to have demonstrated much, if anything, by way of intelligence) of the opposition. Were, for example, the full Real Madrid team to play Taunton's tenth team and trounce them with Bale scoring 20 would you give him a 10/10 or would you (sensibly, so perhaps it is a vain hope) make some comment akin to “That was a pointless exercise, why bother?” i.e. you would modify your appreciation of something in light of the facts. One of the comments on a Sunderland site was that we'd strolled it at 50% so why not recognise that?

    Forster was given a 7 by the Sky website but what did he really do? He didn't try to stop the disallowed goal and he missed a punch from a corner and made some regulation saves. Other than that he was a bystander. Now unless you want to give a 7 as a mark for someone who could almost have sat down in the crowd with a cuppa you would have to question that mark. I think he should have looked to have never let any shot past him – Niemi wouldn't have as a matter of “Keeper's Honour” and apart from the little things that he did that he was expected to he (so I understand from looking at matters later). I have now seen the handball and do consider that while this was enough to mean Forster wouldn't get to it I do think he should have come for it. Someone like Lloris would.

    Many of you no doubt don't watch players in the warm up. You can tell a lot about a player in a warm up and see those who play functionally and those who 'caress the ball' and the latter are usually the better players. The Sunderland team were awful and given that a football should be like a second skin to a professional player the way they kicked the ball was distinctly amateur. This ties in with my criticism of JWP. Again, I didn't see he had assisted SL's goal because it was a long way away from us but even on MOTD he was given a lot of space and time to hit that gaping hole where SL was waiting. What I dislike about him is that he looks 'coached' (and if you've ever played against anyone who has been coached you'll know what I mean but not a natural football player. His posture is wrong, he address the ball wrongly and he seems to just do things without regard for what is really happening about him. He also seems slow mentally which makes me think that he can't react instinctively and there is nothing in how he plays and moves that makes me think he's a footballer. OR is because there are many times when he tackles someone, gets the ball and is surrounded by 3 or 4 players and still comes away with the ball just by pushing it into the right space: he understands football.

    The game itself was a poor spectacle by and large and not unlike watching parks football at times, particularly when Sunderland had the ball. Quite how so many can be enthused by the performance I cannot fathom; although the result was welcome, but expected.

    To conclude:

    Now you might be all so full of your own self-importance to believe that someone is interested only in seeking to 'get a rise' out of you, but you are wrong. You are irrelevant, quite frankly, so I would suggest that should you be able you look at the world you inhabit and yourselves critically and recognise that it is there wherein you will find the failings, not with I.
    I'm not going to lie, I didn't read it all, I got bored after the second paragraph. Mind you, I really wish you were my boss, I could have hours of fun winding you up.

    Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

  44. #244

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Commuting between Never Never Land and a Pie in the Sky
    Posts
    12,883
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miserableoldgit View Post
    I have been watching Saints for 60 years....other people's opinions on a performance, whilst interesting, don't really concern me or effect me....but this reply is probably one of the most self-obsessed and patronising things that I have ever read on here....if I could be bothered, I would count the number of times that you use the word "I" in this post....says a lot I think....

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Pretty easy to dissect the post. Case of big man goes to unfancied away game (or claims to have gone to game) and believes that gives him justification to be willfully obtuse and contrarian. A dull variant of superfan syndrome. Been done a million times before.
    Last edited by shurlock; 12-02-2017 at 02:21 PM.

  45. #245

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kings Worthy
    Posts
    19,487
    Blog Entries
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouth View Post
    Now you might be all so full of your own self-importance to believe that someone is interested only in seeking to 'get a rise' out of you, but you are wrong. You are irrelevant, quite frankly, so I would suggest that should you be able you look at the world you inhabit and yourselves critically and recognise that it is there wherein you will find the failings, not with I.
    How repugnant.

  46. #246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colinjb View Post
    How repugnant.
    It is very strange....I am always wary of someone who tries to use "flowery" language and yet allows his grammar to let him down.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  47. #247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouth View Post
    Thank you for the opportunity (as I see it) to respond St Chalet and while I normally would simply ignore others and concentrate on other matters I will on this occasion respond to those who seem to want to censor me:

    Sirs (I assume none of you are ladies),

    I do not know you, nor would I wish to. Therefore upon what premise do you base your suggestions that I have intended deliberately to court your (meaningless) attention or have you 'bite' in response to what was my own personal view based on my attendance at yesterday's game?

    I will address a couple of other points that were made, but only those. After that it is for you to decide to continue to debate irrelevances or take a more pragmatic approach.

    Some have said my marks are low. They are and they will always be relative to those who simply throw them away and/or do not consider quite what it is they are doing: that is how I do it. I did, for all of you who singularly failed to read and comprehend the comment in the post I made, state that I had amended the marks to reflect the paucity (feel free to look it up should you require: none of you seem to have demonstrated much, if anything, by way of intelligence) of the opposition. Were, for example, the full Real Madrid team to play Taunton's tenth team and trounce them with Bale scoring 20 would you give him a 10/10 or would you (sensibly, so perhaps it is a vain hope) make some comment akin to “That was a pointless exercise, why bother?” i.e. you would modify your appreciation of something in light of the facts. One of the comments on a Sunderland site was that we'd strolled it at 50% so why not recognise that?

    Forster was given a 7 by the Sky website but what did he really do? He didn't try to stop the disallowed goal and he missed a punch from a corner and made some regulation saves. Other than that he was a bystander. Now unless you want to give a 7 as a mark for someone who could almost have sat down in the crowd with a cuppa you would have to question that mark. I think he should have looked to have never let any shot past him – Niemi wouldn't have as a matter of “Keeper's Honour” and apart from the little things that he did that he was expected to he (so I understand from looking at matters later). I have now seen the handball and do consider that while this was enough to mean Forster wouldn't get to it I do think he should have come for it. Someone like Lloris would.

    Many of you no doubt don't watch players in the warm up. You can tell a lot about a player in a warm up and see those who play functionally and those who 'caress the ball' and the latter are usually the better players. The Sunderland team were awful and given that a football should be like a second skin to a professional player the way they kicked the ball was distinctly amateur. This ties in with my criticism of JWP. Again, I didn't see he had assisted SL's goal because it was a long way away from us but even on MOTD he was given a lot of space and time to hit that gaping hole where SL was waiting. What I dislike about him is that he looks 'coached' (and if you've ever played against anyone who has been coached you'll know what I mean but not a natural football player. His posture is wrong, he address the ball wrongly and he seems to just do things without regard for what is really happening about him. He also seems slow mentally which makes me think that he can't react instinctively and there is nothing in how he plays and moves that makes me think he's a footballer. OR is because there are many times when he tackles someone, gets the ball and is surrounded by 3 or 4 players and still comes away with the ball just by pushing it into the right space: he understands football.

    The game itself was a poor spectacle by and large and not unlike watching parks football at times, particularly when Sunderland had the ball. Quite how so many can be enthused by the performance I cannot fathom; although the result was welcome, but expected.

    To conclude:

    Now you might be all so full of your own self-importance to believe that someone is interested only in seeking to 'get a rise' out of you, but you are wrong. You are irrelevant, quite frankly, so I would suggest that should you be able you look at the world you inhabit and yourselves critically and recognise that it is there wherein you will find the failings, not with I.
    I'm not sure I like your tone.

  48. #248

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    13,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    I'm not sure I like your tone.

    Sorry dad.....oops sorry flash back to my youth...

  49. #249

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,747

    Default

    Excellent win after the first 20 minutes which by contrast, were poor. Forster was his usual wobbly self but the defence and Romeu, once the team got a stranglehold of the game, were superb.

    Stephens and Yoshida looked incredibly well-drilled and dealt with Defoe superbly. Like others said, Stephens mugging off Defoe was a huge highlight of a very capable performance.

    At times, we did play some lovely stuff; neat triangles and incisive passing and I'm finally starting to see the point in Redmond; he's definitely getting better, gradually. I think he'll be an up 'n' downer in terms of performances but given the team I'm actually starting to think he's going to make me eat a huge slice of humble pie.

    JWP and Davis were competent but with only Romeu as the power-base, against more tougher, robust midfields we'll be trampled over (as already witnessed) this season. Romeu definitely needs a solid partner and Clasie also isn't the answer.

    J-Rod can f()ck off if he's going to whine and whinge about not getting on; he's hardly warranted the starts he's already been given and has been a huge disappointment. Puel was correct to introduce Hojberg and if J-Rod can't get with that it's about the team and not him then maybe he should move and we should cash in.

    Sunderland in comparison were embarrassing; they'll be better off going down, gutting the team and bringing in a manager with a solid tactical philosophy and enabling them to build from scratch. They are just a complete waste of space whilst they're in the top division.

    That said, I'm not going to complain too much - they're normally good for 4-6 points a season!

  50. #250

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Commuting between Never Never Land and a Pie in the Sky
    Posts
    12,883
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Hope Leicester go down with Sunderland.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •