Relegation who are going down?

southbourne saint

Who's going down? Pick THREE only.  

842 members have voted

1. 1. Who's going down? Pick THREE only.

Tough one this. Hull have got a lot better under Silva, as have Swansea under Clement. Allardyce normally finds a way to keep teams up.

All will come down to the games between them as the bottom 6 all have loads of games against each other. I'll guess at Sunderland, Boro and hopefully Leicester. Don't discount Bournemouth yet, they have some very tough fixtures including a run of us, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs in April.

So has the forum decided we are not in a relegation battle now.....

Whoah, lets just get to 40 eh. Then we can all put this to bed.

Sunderland look really poor, Palace should have the players to get out of it IMO but they are nosediving and confidence is such a big thing, ditto Leicester - they should be nowhere relegation but they look shot at the moment. Bournemouth could also still get dragged into it too. Really for any of the bottom 7 it's who's got the desire to get out of it.

As for us, well I'm not complacent (I am a Saints fan after all) but Manolo is looking good for a few goals which lifts the whole team, Shane is now chipping in too. Being as we don't need many goals and a lot of results need to go against it's looking a hell of a lot better than it did before Saturday. Watford(a) and Bmth(h) could settle it for us - lets hope so eh.

Boro and Sunderland

Just not director on the third... It'll be touch and go for Hull and Leicester. Hull are improving and Leicester should have more than enough about them if they pull their fingers out. Not sure on Palace but it's way too soon to write off the Big Sam effect yet.

Bournemouth looking very light defensively but I just think they'll do a mid 90's us and rally, win a few difficult games and survive.

I think CR will be able to rally Leicester just enough to put some decent results together and stay up. They've got enough about them I reckon. Bompey will probably score enough goals to beat a few teams who struggle to score but will run it close IMO. If it was a starlight shootout with everyone on equal points, maybe but they've got a 6 point head start on their competitors.

Sunderland, Hull and one more team from Swansea downwards in the table. Honestly can't decide who, I thought the Swans were nailed on a month ago, now they look the most likely to get out of it.

Very hard to call. Too many games to go & too many teams winning.

We aren't safe yet.

I notice Hull have some generally favourable fixtures.

You want to lay off the Class A's mush, they're fu_cking up your brain if you actually believe that.

Sunderland are doomed, Palace look in a mess and after that any from Boscombe down. I believe there are a lot of 6 pointers still to come, it's going to be interesting.

Sunderland seem to take one step forward, then two back. I think they'll finish bottom.

Hull look a different beast and Silva's done a great job so far. As someone mentions above, they have some 'favourable' fixtures, so I think they could get out of it. Swansea I think as well will end up ok.

Middlesbrough just don't seem to score enough goals, I think they'll end up going down.

Final place a t*ss up between Leicester, Palace and possibly Bournemouth. Either of those going down would be reasonably funny for differing reasons.

Sunderland are the only side I'd confidently put money on going down. Fat Sam has a habit of coming up roses, Silva has made Hull look a better side already, and Swansea are pulling away nicely. Leicester are in huge danger, Boro can't score & whilst I think Bompey should be ok they're on an horrendous run and are yet to play 4 of their relegation rivals, they could well be the team that finish 18th.

So has the forum decided we are not in a relegation battle now.....

We have never been in a relegation battle. Having a poor run of 6 games and being "only" 8 points above the drop zone isn't being in a fight.

We're now in 11th, 10 points clear of safety. The idea that Hull and Palace are going to overhaul that kind of gap in 3 months is laughable.

Here's the big games down the bottom:

25th Feb

Palace vs Boro

4th March

Leicester vs Hull

11th March

Hull vs Swansea

Middlesbrough vs Sunderland

18th March

Bournemouth vs Swansea

1st April

Swansea vs Middlesbrough

4th April

Hull vs Middlesbrough

Leicester vs Sunderland

15th April

Palace vs Leicester

22nd April

Bournemouth vs Middlesbrough

6th May

Hull vs Sunderland

13th May

Sunderland vs Swansea

21st May

Leicester vs Bournemouth

Far more exciting to me than seeing who wins the league.

We have never been in a relegation battle. Having a poor run of 6 games and being "only" 8 points above the drop zone isn't being in a fight.

We're now in 11th, 10 points clear of safety. The idea that Hull and Palace are going to overhaul that kind of gap in 3 months is laughable.

Agreed. Can't believe that some don't get that we'd have to get less than something like 8 points in 13 matches AND have 7 teams pass us by going on decent runs (that they haven't been on all season).

This time last year we were 6th, season before we were 4th.

Kinda sad that we are now talking relegation rather than top 4 and top 6

Maybe if you went to a game or two and parted with some of your hard earned, then the club could afford better players. But I guess you feel safer behind a keyboard with your constant negativity. Yes, we may well not be doing as well in the league as last season, but you seem to be intimating that 6th is our natural position.

I would have put a fat wedge of money on Hull, Sunderland and Swansea in December (had I had a fat wedge of money spare) as I thought they were all nailed on for relegation, but my God what a job Clement has done for the Swans. I thought selling Williams in the summer was like shooting themselves in the foot, but Mawson looks an astute purchase, Llorente and Sigurdsson look decent and their midfield is solid.

Nobody has been cut away yet though so it could be anyone from Bournemouth down. However I think Sunderland's time is up, despite their usual late season resurgence, Moyes and his Everton rejects won't have enough about them defensively. Then there's Hull, who flogged their best players in January. Too risky of a strategy that. That's two spots taken.

That leaves one slot between Palace, Leicester, Boro and Bournemouth. Wilson's injury could hurt Bournemouth, but they might just have enough with 26 points. It's hard to choose between the others. All three have some good players. What a story it would be for Leicester to go down though! However I'll go for Boro, despite their resilience in recent fixtures. Draws aren't enough at that end of the table. That'll make Newcastle's season.

Last team to get relegated after winning the league were Man City in 1938.

Ironically, they ended up as the top goalscorers getting 80 from 42 games (but conceding 77).

The only team to ever be relegated from the top flight with a positive goal difference, I believe.

All except the joke that is Dalek

How rude.

We are not currently in a relegation battle but I never like to tempt fate. The three points against Sunderland was massive and another three or four wins should see us safe. It would be nice if we got the points before April.