Clattenberg

East Kent Saint

Clattenburg is a good ref.

I don't find him a knob on the pitch either. He is sure of himself. He backs himself, and his own opinion. He has the balls to give it as he sees it (rightly or wrongly) and I can respect that. He makes mistakes, but they all do. You could say he's the best of a bad bunch, but people don't really appreciate how difficult it is reffing in the premier league. The tempo is fast, the crowd are pretty hostile. It shouldn't be forgotten that the ref can't see everything, he's human. He might have an impaired view from another player. He might get something in his eye at a vital moment. He might even lose track of the ball (they are human after all). They rely on their assistants and the same thing could happen to them too. In reality football needs to use technology more to help the officials out.

An example of a big call that comes to mind that Clattenburg made against us was the 0-0 away at Norwich a few seasons back . Penalised Shaw for a soft penalty. But it was ballsy to give such a big call so late in the game. Shaw was naive to challenge the man (man was edge of box and going away from danger) like he did. I had no hard feelings about that one for example.

Clattenburg is a good ref.

I don't find him a knob on the pitch either. He is sure of himself. He backs himself, and his own opinion. He has the balls to give it as he sees it (rightly or wrongly) and I can respect that. He makes mistakes, but they all do. You could say he's the best of a bad bunch, but people don't really appreciate how difficult it is reffing in the premier league. The tempo is fast, the crowd are pretty hostile. It shouldn't be forgotten that the ref can't see everything, he's human. He might have an impaired view from another player. He might get something in his eye at a vital moment. He might even lose track of the ball (they are human after all). They rely on their assistants and the same thing could happen to them too. In reality football needs to use technology more to help the officials out.

An example of a big call that comes to mind that Clattenburg made against us was the 0-0 away at Norwich a few seasons back . Penalised Shaw for a soft penalty. But it was ballsy to give such a big call so late in the game. Shaw was naive to challenge the man (man was edge of box and going away from danger) like he did. I had no hard feelings about that one for example.

Trouble is it's hard to see past a ref who has openly said not too long ago, if one teams fans are getting on his back that will have an influence on his decision making in favour of the other side.

There is no doubt that being a ref in the Premier League ain't an easy, due to the pace of play, then you add in that some of these refs are in their 40's and upwards, Neil Swarbrick is 51 (at 52 I would love to be fit enough to keep up with Redmond, Rashford, Long for 90+ minutes). Heard Dermot Gallagher say he knew it was time to hang up his whistle after a Villa v Man U game, Christiano Ronaldo had the ball and was off on his bike towards the Villa box, the attack broke down and the ball fell to Agbonglahor and he was off towards the Man U box, Gallagher joked that when Ronaldo set off it was 4:25 when he eventually caught up with Agbonglahor up the other end of the pitch it was 4:40: he decided then that he was verging on doing the game and himself a disservice.

But back to Clatters, only recently when we played Liverpool in the league he delivered the most bizarre, and some might say blatantly biased decision against us, Liverpool had defended their box and the ball was in a break away position for Liverpool, just outside their box, one of our players had "fouled" a Liverpool player and the ball had broken to another Liverpool player, Clattenburg signaled an advantage, and the ball was worked up to Manė in our box closing in on the 6 yard box, Manė showed just enough of the ball to Virgil for it to be cleared into the stands. At which point Clattenburg blew his whistle and brought the ball all the way back for a Liverpool free kick just outside our box......... yes I view the game through Red & White tinted spectacles but if that game had been live on BT sport even Howard Webb would have struggled to defend that decision.

All refs like all people have their faults, but when you have a ref who statistically is not in favour of your team when they are supposed to be totally impartial then it is hard to defend him. Put him into a European game or International Tournement and without doubt he is a very accomplished referee because he has no bias to give, in his own league though he exhibits some stinkers: especially in our direction.