Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 94

Thread: Cup Final Travel

  1. Default Cup Final Travel

    Much as I'd love a few beers, the trains being a potential nightmare on the day of the final are making me seriously consider driving up. Usually for a trip to London I'll park in the multistorey at Richmond and get the tube from there. Anyone got any other ideas that avoid going too central?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golactico View Post
    Much as I'd love a few beers, the trains being a potential nightmare on the day of the final are making me seriously consider driving up. Usually for a trip to London I'll park in the multistorey at Richmond and get the tube from there. Anyone got any other ideas that avoid going too central?
    Park at Denham (just by the M25/M40 Junction) and get the overground to Wembley stadium. Takes 15 minutes

    Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Go on, have a guess?
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    Would avoid Richmond ..... England playing at Twickenham at 3pm

    I am gonna park at Hillingdon & tube it in

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the Octopod with Captain Barnacle!
    Posts
    862

    Default

    Train to Paddington, check in hotel, tube to Wembley, get drunk

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Bordeaux
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Train to Waterloo, Saturday. Overnight in Premier Inn (90 per twin room in Ealing), on the lash saturday night. Sunday stress free stroll to the tube and back on it. Easy.

  6. #6

    Default

    I'm traveling from Bristol to SMS to get on the saints coaches!! Its a faf, but sod going on the trains, always potential for carnage!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    5,281

    Default

    I am going for the carnage on the train. First train out of Central, don't care if I can't get back if we win, if we lose then I'll worry about that then.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warsash saint View Post
    Would avoid Richmond ..... England playing at Twickenham at 3pm

    I am gonna park at Hillingdon & tube it in
    On sunday, oh that is a pain for Richmond then.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Driving the pace on the front.
    Posts
    14,040

    Default

    Corky and I are parking up at Harrow Borough FC and then 1 stop on the overland to Wembley Central.

    As we've the kids with us being on the lash isn't the most important thing.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,932

    Default

    Train carnage rules!

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Salisbury
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LGTL View Post
    I am going for the carnage on the train. First train out of Central, don't care if I can't get back if we win, if we lose then I'll worry about that then.
    South West Trains have put on 2 extra trains to help get everybody up to London before game at 10.50 and 11.50, these will comprise of 12 coaches and only stoppping at Parkway, Eastliegh and WInchester on way up to Waterloo

    https://twitter.com/SaintsfcCop?ref_...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

    altogether 9 trains up to London between 8.55 and 11.55

    Also 2 extra trains coming back at 20.50 and 21.50 with same stop off points

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sunny Dubai
    Posts
    10,199
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    The easy part ...... !! Emirates Airlines A380 Dubai to Heathrow 3am departure straight after work,land 7am.

    Getting from Heathrow to friends house in Watford to drop off suitcase etc, short distance if I was going by crow, but by Public Transport a bit of a nightmare!!
    Apparently ok from Watford to Wembley though!!

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Salisbury
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericofarabia View Post
    The easy part ...... !! Emirates Airlines A380 Dubai to Heathrow 3am departure straight after work,land 7am.

    Getting from Heathrow to friends house in Watford to drop off suitcase etc, short distance if I was going by crow, but by Public Transport a bit of a nightmare!!
    Apparently ok from Watford to Wembley though!!
    My brother is coming over from France on Eurostar, will be up at 5am (4am UK time) to get down to Anguoleme for 6.30 train to Paris, then Eurostar to ST Pancras due in 12.40, straight to pub to pick up ticket from me and then onto Wembley, couple of nights back in Salisbury then Eurostar back to his home in France

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fleet, Hampshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Will train from fleet..guess the Basingstoke trains will be ranked as well! Going to be a squeeze!

  15. #15

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericofarabia View Post
    The easy part ...... !! Emirates Airlines A380 Dubai to Heathrow 3am departure straight after work,land 7am.

    Getting from Heathrow to friends house in Watford to drop off suitcase etc, short distance if I was going by crow, but by Public Transport a bit of a nightmare!!
    Apparently ok from Watford to Wembley though!!
    Did that train journey for the 2010 JPT (although we wimped out and landed a few days earlier before travelling up to friends at Watford). Train was really quick and simple. Of course we were sharing the train with a bunch of Carslisle fans which I am guessing might be a lot more pleasant than sharing with a bunch of Utd fans!

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Block 42 Twitter: @mattiosmith
    Posts
    2,601

    Default

    If I was coming up from Southampton I'd try the first train or failing that one of the unofficial coaches (I've put my nephew on the one ScottishSaint79 posted).

    Luckily for me it's a relatively local one and it'll be a quick tube to Baker Street to join the fun then another up to Wembley, what happens after that depends on the result!

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ringwood Saint View Post
    Will train from fleet..guess the Basingstoke trains will be ranked as well! Going to be a squeeze!
    I'm travelling in from Aldershot, so hoping trains on the Alton branch line will be quieter. Might be another option for people in the Fleet/F'boro area.

  19. #19

    Default

    I was thinking of going on the Southampton Branch of Manchester united fans club coach..... it gets there quicker as they wont stop at Fleet lol

  20. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    I was thinking of going on the Southampton Branch of Manchester united fans club coach..... it gets there quicker as they wont stop at Fleet lol
    Is Mike Thomas still running that?

    I went up with them in November 1977 ahead of a week long work course in Manchester and went up a friend who was a plastic Manc. When Thomas came up to get my fare, he asked which end was I going in?

    "I dunno. What's the away end at Oldham called?"

    He wasn't impressed.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bandit Country.
    Posts
    95

    Default

    Overground from Penge to Canada Water. Jubilee to Finchley. Metropolitan to Wembley. 45 min trip! Living in London has its perks.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bath
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    I will be driving up from Bath and have a couple of spare seats if anyone is interested. Intend to park at Rayners Lane and then tube.

  23. #23

    Default

    Driving from Portsmouth with my old man, haven't got the foggiest to park, I've only ever parked at Wembley itself. Might park at Denham as suggested.

    Appreciate any recommendations.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Bedford
    Posts
    51

    Default

    45 minute train to West Hampstead Thameslink, lunch and numerous beers in The Railway then a ten minute overground to Wembley. Living in Bedford might not be much use for home games but it's ideal for Wembley!

  25. #25

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Exiled in East Anglia
    Posts
    3,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    I was thinking of going on the Southampton Branch of Manchester united fans club coach..... it gets there quicker as they wont stop at Fleet lol
    Not sure I would fancy plastic seats! ;-)

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Driving from Portsmouth with my old man, haven't got the foggiest to park, I've only ever parked at Wembley itself. Might park at Denham as suggested.

    Appreciate any recommendations.
    Thats where I always park for events at Wembley. only 15 minutes on the train and really well organised afterwards at the Stadium station

  27. #27

    Default

    Anyone travelling by train with any savvy should get their missus to drive them/ get a taxi to Botley (or if want to save 5 minutes in the car/ 3 min on the train, Hedge End). Trains will be way quieter and don't take much longer. The lack of trains before Central means getting into that place will be like Millbronx Tesco on Black Friday!

    Personally my group and I are avoiding all that nonsense and going up Saturday, all dayer, stay in a Hotel, wake up and grab a decent brekky in Borough then get straight back on it avoiding the general Wembley area until the very last minute. The thought of horrible chain boozers packed with hordes of face painted day trippers, foam hands and 1hr wait for a plastic pint of Carlsberg is pretty grim. Decent beer in decent boozers in a tucked away part of town with good mates then into the ground and get behind the lads. Bliss.

    Up the Saints!

  28. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    I was thinking of going on the Southampton Branch of Manchester united fans club coach..... it gets there quicker as they wont stop at Fleet lol
    Are really running one? That's pretty impressive, considering you need to be a season ticket holder to get a seat at Wembley. Can't fault their commitment.

    (Unless it's a coach filled with people who've spent zillions on corporate tickets...)

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    14,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackanorySFC View Post
    Anyone travelling by train with any savvy should get their missus to drive them/ get a taxi to Botley (or if want to save 5 minutes in the car/ 3 min on the train, Hedge End). Trains will be way quieter and don't take much longer. The lack of trains before Central means getting into that place will be like Millbronx Tesco on Black Friday!

    Up the Saints!
    If every **** bangs on about it, it won't be much of a smart move will it?

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    5,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackanorySFC View Post
    Anyone travelling by train with any savvy should get their missus to drive them/ get a taxi to Botley (or if want to save 5 minutes in the car/ 3 min on the train, Hedge End). Trains will be way quieter and don't take much longer. The lack of trains before Central means getting into that place will be like Millbronx Tesco on Black Friday!

    Personally my group and I are avoiding all that nonsense and going up Saturday, all dayer, stay in a Hotel, wake up and grab a decent brekky in Borough then get straight back on it avoiding the general Wembley area until the very last minute. The thought of horrible chain boozers packed with hordes of face painted day trippers, foam hands and 1hr wait for a plastic pint of Carlsberg is pretty grim. Decent beer in decent boozers in a tucked away part of town with good mates then into the ground and get behind the lads. Bliss.

    Up the Saints!
    We were going to do that but first train from Hedge End isn't until 8

  31. #31

    Default

    Why on earth would any Saints fan want to go on a Man Utd coach from southampton!

    Use the clubs Bingo Bus. Use Nick Grogory's Saints away travel. But not a Man Utd coach FFS!

  32. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint86 View Post
    I'm traveling from Bristol to SMS to get on the saints coaches!! Its a faf, but sod going on the trains, always potential for carnage!
    Muppet!

  33. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    If every **** bangs on about it, it won't be much of a smart move will it?
    I like your style, "loose lips sink ships"

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    14,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LGTL View Post
    We were going to do that but first train from Hedge End isn't until 8
    What time do you want to be in London?

  35. #35

    Default

    Going to get the train in from Gerrards Cross, only about 20 mins or so journey.

    Coming back , I don't give a f**k , I'll be w@nkered

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Trying to do some work
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Driving from Portsmouth with my old man, haven't got the foggiest to park, I've only ever parked at Wembley itself. Might park at Denham as suggested.

    Appreciate any recommendations.
    We have hired a 7 seater taxi for the day. Will park by Marylebone station, free parking all day Sunday, pub, and then overground from there to Wembley. 10 mins on train.

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Block 42 Twitter: @mattiosmith
    Posts
    2,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Depressed of Shirley View Post
    We have hired a 7 seater taxi for the day. Will park by Marylebone station, free parking all day Sunday, pub, and then overground from there to Wembley. 10 mins on train.
    Is that with a driver?! Bet that wasn't cheap if so!

  38. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ringwood Saint View Post
    Will train from fleet..guess the Basingstoke trains will be ranked as well! Going to be a squeeze!
    Yep - was planning on getting one of the Salisbury trains rather than one of the Southampton trains, however not sure there seem to be many...! Just going to go up early and if it tkes a bit of time then so be it....can't be driving on cup final day!

  39. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    5,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    What time do you want to be in London?
    Early. Cup final day innit.

  40. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lets B Avenue View Post
    Is Mike Thomas still running that?

    I went up with them in November 1977 ahead of a week long work course in Manchester and went up a friend who was a plastic Manc. When Thomas came up to get my fare, he asked which end was I going in?

    "I dunno. What's the away end at Oldham called?"

    He wasn't impressed.
    i was only kidding lol. In 76 their coach came into Heston services and saw our coaches of Saints fans not happy with them and so drove straight out again. Thats why I sadi about not stopping at Fleet
    Last edited by OldNick; 17-02-2017 at 02:29 PM.

  41. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dronskisaint View Post
    Not sure I would fancy plastic seats! ;-)
    Lol

  42. #42

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Salisbury
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    Yep - was planning on getting one of the Salisbury trains rather than one of the Southampton trains, however not sure there seem to be many...! Just going to go up early and if it tkes a bit of time then so be it....can't be driving on cup final day!
    Due to engineering works no trains from Salisbury / Andover until the afternoon

    So all people from Salisbury and West of there have to travel to Waterloo via Southampton

  43. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldsarum View Post
    Due to engineering works no trains from Salisbury / Andover until the afternoon

    So all people from Salisbury and West of there have to travel to Waterloo via Southampton
    Oh bugger I only got tickets yesterday and so thats another avenue lost!!

  44. #44

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South West France
    Posts
    510

    Default

    I'm doing the TGV/Eurostar from Angouleme starting at 6:30 CET. I could have flown back on the Friday, but when I heard about the engineering works I decided that the TGV would be much more civilsed.

  45. #45

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    14,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LGTL View Post
    Early. Cup final day innit.
    Earlier than 09:45?

  46. #46

    Default

    Southampton Away Travel have a coach going from Salisbury

    http://southamptonawaytravel.co.uk/c...efl-cup-final/

  47. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericofarabia View Post
    The easy part ...... !! Emirates Airlines A380 Dubai to Heathrow 3am departure straight after work,land 7am.

    Getting from Heathrow to friends house in Watford to drop off suitcase etc, short distance if I was going by crow, but by Public Transport a bit of a nightmare!!
    Apparently ok from Watford to Wembley though!!
    Evening Eric! Glad to see you are giving Oman Air a miss this time!! Hopefully might bump into you at the ground!!!

  48. Default

    We'd normally be ok on the trains because as coming from Poole we'd already be and seated before the rush. However there's ****ing engineering works, buses to parkway . **** that , we've hired a mini bus with driver.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  49. #49

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Trying to do some work
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattio View Post
    Is that with a driver?! Bet that wasn't cheap if so!
    300 for the day. Divided by 7, with a tip roughly 50 each. Whats the train, 40?

  50. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marc_saint View Post
    Southampton Away Travel have a coach going from Salisbury

    http://southamptonawaytravel.co.uk/c...efl-cup-final/
    Thanks, Im trying to get numbers of how many we need to get on that

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •