Pre Cup Final Beers - Wembley or Central?

St Louis

Everywhere will be full of mancs.

The mancs will be largely coming in to Euston, from there it's a short walk or even shorter tube ride to Baker street. Most of them will have been to wembley plenty of times so will have their "own" pubs they head too, most of which will be in that area.

I'd also imagine a decent sized group of saints will probably end up that way, though by and large i think people will go straight to Wembley as it'll be a novelty for them, and that's where the club will recommend.

Personally i'm going with Soho to start as Oxford Circus is on the Bakerloo and takes you direct to Wembley Central, that way you can have some drinks in less rammed places then head up when you're ready, instead of fighting to be served at a bar or standing in a pub carpark/beer garden with a bunch of people in jesters hats, facepaints and fancy dress.

London Bridge for us. Proper boozers there including a few that open early doors for Borough Market workers, no face paint/ foam hands and on the Jubilee Line so easy to head up to Wembley with a change at Baker St for the Met line or just stay on the stopping service. Worst case scenario (staying on the JL) is 30 minutes on the tube. Probably watch the Spurs vs Stoke game (13:30 KO) then make our way up when that's done.

As someone above said, staying south of the river definitely a better bet for the more discerning pre match drinker.

We go to Borough a lot but I wouldn't be giving out about the discerning drinker - quite a tourist attraction over the weekend.

TBH on Wembley day will be a fair few of us so if a few fans with face paint in there with us it isn't going to spoil my day.

The mancs will be largely coming in to Euston, from there it's a short walk or even shorter tube ride to Baker street. Most of them will have been to wembley plenty of times so will have their "own" pubs they head too, most of which will be in that area.

I'd also imagine a decent sized group of saints will probably end up that way, though by and large i think people will go straight to Wembley as it'll be a novelty for them, and that's where the club will recommend.

Personally i'm going with Soho to start as Oxford Circus is on the Bakerloo and takes you direct to Wembley Central, that way you can have some drinks in less rammed places then head up when you're ready, instead of fighting to be served at a bar or standing in a pub carpark/beer garden with a bunch of people in jesters hats, facepaints and fancy dress.

I've got to factor in that I will need a p1ss every 15 mins given the time we'll be starting.

People need to be aware of the differences this Sunday V's the JPT

Last time there were 50k approx Saints fans heading up, this time there's 32k. So where as last time you could head to Baker Street and all your saw was Saints fans, this time there will be Mancs around.

And because there's 18k less Saints fans there will be less saints fans around the pubs at Wembley. (although it still will be very busy!)

Me... I was in the Globe at Baker Street last time but though this time I'll be giving the Green Man a go as heard go things about it from the JPT.

Parking at Denham (Mrs is driving) and getting the train to Wembley Stadium and then it's a ten minute walk to the pub

Last time there were 50k approx Saints fans heading up, this time there's 32k. So where as last time you could head to Baker Street and all your saw was Saints fans, this time there will be Mancs around.

And because there's 18k less Saints fans there will be less saints fans around the pubs at Wembley. (although it still will be very busy!)

Me... I was in the Globe at Baker Street last time but though this time I'll be giving the Green Man a go as heard go things about it from the JPT.

Parking at Denham (Mrs is driving) and getting the train to Wembley Stadium and then it's a ten minute walk to the pub

think a few people have a shock coming if they think its going to be same as JPT

We're doing a pub crawl from Waterloo to Oxford Circus, via pubs with decent beers on. 7 pubs then then the green man for about 3pm.

Borough market is a good shout though! Was there last weekend at the Market Porter, great selection of beers. Really really good.

Almost exactly the same plan, though I don't think we'll get more than 5 or 6 pubs in. Starting at Waterloo at 11am and probably leave Brewdog Soho around 3pm.

Originally had a plan that started at Borough Market and worked across from there. Then I realised that the market is closed on Sundays...

London Bridge for us. Proper boozers there including a few that open early doors for Borough Market workers, no face paint/ foam hands and on the Jubilee Line so easy to head up to Wembley with a change at Baker St for the Met line or just stay on the stopping service. Worst case scenario (staying on the JL) is 30 minutes on the tube. Probably watch the Spurs vs Stoke game (13:30 KO) then make our way up when that's done.

As someone above said, staying south of the river definitely a better bet for the more discerning pre match drinker.

That was me. We're going to Borough too. No face paints or jester hats among our lot, not even the kids.

Had a few good sessions in that area, although last time I was there they locked us in the pub because Millwall were heading up.

I'll probably walk along the South Bank from Waterloo. Stop somewhere for lunch (The Doggetts on south side of Blackfriars Bridge probably) then carry on down to London Bridge stopping off at the Market Porter to imbibe in a selection of their fine real ales. Then hop on the Jubilee Line from London Bridge.

Almost exactly the same plan, though I don't think we'll get more than 5 or 6 pubs in. Starting at Waterloo at 11am and probably leave Brewdog Soho around 3pm.

Originally had a plan that started at Borough Market and worked across from there. Then I realised that the market is closed on Sundays...

Sounds like we're on the earlier train, you're right 7 will be a stretch. Might see you in brewdog!

Sounds like we're on the earlier train, you're right 7 will be a stretch. Might see you in brewdog!

I'll likely be in Waterloo at the crack of dawn, but in terms of 'decent' pubs it doesn't look like much is open around there until 11.

Quite possibly then!

Thanks all!

Feedback I've had on here and elsewhere is that a few Saints fans are heading for The Globe in Marylebone for midday, before heading nearer the stadium (maybe The Green Man) as kickoff approaches: http://www.taylor-walker.co.uk/pub/globe-marylebone/c1018/

Its opposite 'Baker Street Tube', so only 2 stops from Wembley Park on the Metropolitan Line: http://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

For those that fancy it, see you in there!

COYS!

Address:

43 to 47 Marylebone Road, Marylebone, London, NW1 5JY

That was me. We're going to Borough too. No face paints or jester hats among our lot, not even the kids.

Had a few good sessions in that area, although last time I was there they locked us in the pub because Millwall were heading up.

Yep, prefer Borough High St boozers to the one's right on the Market (unless they open early fro the workers when a pre midday pint is on order). Good to see a few decent Saints that know the score will be in the area.

Whelk, I've lived/ worked in London for nearly 10 years, know a tourist gaff from a local gem my friend ;-)

As for the Globe, hmm. The Mancs will no doubt be there early doors (I imagine they'll bring a few thousand without tickets whereas we'll bring a few hundred), however as others have said this isn't their first rodeo so no doubt have decent enough local knowledge to avoid a standard 'spoons like the Globe

My plan is Borough Market for food and drink, Marylebone for some drinks then depending on the atmosphere there either staying there til about an hour before KO or heading to the Green Man to take in the atmosphere. (We have some under 18's in our group so hopefully that won't effect our options).

I really don't understand all the avoiding the face paint and replica shirt nonsense, whilst I'm not going to turn up dressed like the red and white Westwood in the Northam, I'm going to want to soak up all the great vibes of the day, it's the first time in my lifetime I'm getting to go to Wembley for a proper final so I'm going to make the most of it, not hide away in a quiet pub.

EDIT: As the market is closed just going to do Clapham Junction for a few and a fry up at Jacks, then get the train straight to Wembley Central from there :D - or not because the line appears to be closed... NEW PLAN TIME :mcinnes:

Edited by Mattio

We're staying south.

Honestly couldn't think of anything worse than being in the green man surrounded by dinlos who think they're funny in fancy dress with their sh!t songs and awful 'banta'. Not to mention that 40 minute tussle to get a beer and go for a p!ss.

I'll be heading straight to the stadium from the boozer to try and avoid!

I'll probably walk along the South Bank from Waterloo. Stop somewhere for lunch (The Doggetts on south side of Blackfriars Bridge probably) then carry on down to London Bridge stopping off at the Market Porter to imbibe in a selection of their fine real ales. Then hop on the Jubilee Line from London Bridge.

We are staying in Islington Saturday night but we're going to jump on the tube to London Bridge Sunday morning. Think there'll be a few saints fans around there with minimal Mancs.

We're staying south.

Honestly couldn't think of anything worse than being in the green man surrounded by dinlos who think they're funny in fancy dress with their sh!t songs and awful 'banta'. Not to mention that 40 minute tussle to get a beer and go for a p!ss.

I'll be heading straight to the stadium from the boozer to try and avoid!

How many of the 30k plus Saints fans are going to be wearing fancy dress do you expect?

Shame so many Saints fans are choosing to drink so far out of the way for a rare Wembley final. Who cares if there are a few Mancs around.

I think it's more the 45 minute wait to be honest. I shall be on my own so not even any division of labour "your turn to queue..". I frankly couldn't give a stuff about MU fans spoiling my drinking experience! Do you think Turkish will be there? I'm tempted to wear some dungarees (not sure where I'd buy them though), wave an Italian flag as they're in town for the rugby, plus face-paint, red and white fright wig and a foam hand.

How many of the 30k plus Saints fans are going to be wearing fancy dress do you expect?

A far higher than average for most away games but probably no more than 50-100 at a guess (not including those under 14).

I think the issue for many, myself included, is more the amount of people going up that don't normally do aways (nothing wrong with this by the way and absolutely to be encouraged) so more of the shirter brigade and people either not knowing their limits re:drink, moaning about things or just generally d*cking about at the bars etc. Also i don't want to be covered in beer from sh*tty plastic cups as i squeeze past people.

Much rather find a proper boozer a bit further away and have a laugh with mates drinking decent ale and not spending hours queuing to get served, or shooting my load too early with people singing in pubs but quiet as doormice in the ground (Indiana Jones nobhead is a classic for doing this).

Plus i also don't like some of our support, they're just a bit embarrassing and dull, so i'd prefer to keep out the way of them.

Given that we are football fans and have some sort of understanding how these things work and that we all support the same team so have the same level of final experience, do we need these pearls of wisdom.

It's football and pubs, its everyday stuff.

A far higher than average for most away games but probably no more than 50-100 at a guess (not including those under 14).

I think the issue for many, myself included, is more the amount of people going up that don't normally do aways (nothing wrong with this by the way and absolutely to be encouraged) so more of the shirter brigade and people either not knowing their limits re:drink, moaning about things or just generally d*cking about at the bars etc. Also i don't want to be covered in beer from sh*tty plastic cups as i squeeze past people.

Much rather find a proper boozer a bit further away and have a laugh with mates drinking decent ale and not spending hours queuing to get served, or shooting my load too early with people singing in pubs but quiet as doormice in the ground (Indiana Jones nobhead is a classic for doing this).

Plus i also don't like some of our support, they're just a bit embarrassing and dull, so i'd prefer to keep out the way of them.

Seriously do you really think that only people who go to a lot of away matches know what to do in a pub or can handle their beer.

My plan is Borough Market for food and drink, Marylebone for some drinks then depending on the atmosphere there either staying there til about an hour before KO or heading to the Green Man to take in the atmosphere. (We have some under 18's in our group so hopefully that won't effect our options).

Borough Market is closed on Sundays mate

Seriously do you really think that only people who go to a lot of away matches know what to do in a pub or can handle their beer.

No of course i don't, but for some bizarre reason people who can normally put back a few and don't act like d*cks on a saturday night will lose all self respect at an away game.

It's something i've never understood (guess it's group mentality) but in my experience is pretty common for our larger away supports. Call me snobbish if you like but i genuinely prefer the smaller away supports these days as there seems to be a lot less numpties out.

:lol:

Myself and my Dad will be stopping off in Beaconsfield for lunch and a few drinks before getting the train direct into Wembley Central. As I have two days in Bristol on a Work training course starting on Monday I may need to be a little more sensible than I would like to be. Needless to say, I doubt I will have any voice left.