Jimmy Steele "Le Tissier a lazy b*****d, Benali was s**t".

Master Bates

Has a bet on 5-0 Man Utd but is a Saints fan?

Straight talking Scot. Nothing wrong with anything he says, could be more diplomatic but all the better for not being a modern day yes man. One of the nicest blokes you could meet and remains a Saints fan, shame he's not at the Black Bear any more. It is poor how the Club treats former heroes, even Le Tiss and Benali used to be treated badly.

Jim Steele was a decent player on the field notwithstanding his mistake v Anderlecht in the QF of the ECWC.

Have met him a couple of times off it and he didn't come across as one of the nicest people in the world.

All that said, it is a shame the club does not appear to generally welcome ex players.

Straight talking Scot. Nothing wrong with anything he says, could be more diplomatic but all the better for not being a modern day yes man. One of the nicest blokes you could meet and remains a Saints fan, shame he's not at the Black Bear any more. It is poor how the Club treats former heroes, even Le Tiss and Benali used to be treated badly.

A modern day yes man? Not like the modern day idea that being opinionated is a virtue in itself? You must think Robbie Savage is a breath of fresh air pal.

He comes across as a bit bitter if I'm honest (though I imagine most footballers from that era must feel pretty gutted seeing todays prima donnas lifestyle). Pretty sure I've been at SMS when they've had players from the 76 cup team on the pitch to chat in the last few seasons.

You are right, they have.

All the old boys out in force.

Mick Channon will be at the final (guess he didn't invite Jimmy either). Not exactly an upbeat article. Saints managers job a nightmare saints will get relegated sooner or later....

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/771831/EFL-Cup-Southampton-Mick-Channon-Manchester-United-Premier-League-relegation

Jim Steele is a bitter sad man who rightly doent get anything from SFC. All he has done for the last 40 years is slag the club off and its players to whatever journalist that will listen. Its been down to the Club to invite Le Tissier or Benali who incidentally does work for the community side of the club. Then its down to box holders who have also invited them.

Jim Steele is well known for a being goby idiot behind the bar and merely reaps what he sows.

Mick Channon will be at the final (guess he didn't invite Jimmy either). Not exactly an upbeat article. Saints managers job a nightmare saints will get relegated sooner or later....

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/771831/EFL-Cup-Southampton-Mick-Channon-Manchester-United-Premier-League-relegation

Great exclusive from the Express.

Shame that it comes 24 hours after The Telegraph had a 2 page interview, in which Mick said he was going to watch the game in the pub and let the "kids" use the ticket.

channon was recently interviewed and stated that he has given his tickets to younger members of his family so that they can experience a Wembley final. He was quoted as saying he would watch the game down his local with friends.

I love it when a club respects and celebrates its history. The problem I have with the idea of us expecting the club to continually honour and revere our 1976 cup winning team is that it buys into this notion that we are 'small time'.

Imagine if this fuss was made over all the Manchester United or Arsenal players who have ever won an FA cup with them. They'd never have any tickets for any fans if they dished the final tickets out to all their former cup winners.

Just for the record I didn't make that final, I was working and we all watched it on TV in the office, but I was outside the Civic Centre the next day when the bus arrived so it is a part of MY Saints history as well.

We either want to play in the big league or else continue with this nostalgic wallowing about our most famous day in history.

channon was recently interviewed and stated that he has given his tickets to younger members of his family so that they can experience a Wembley final. He was quoted as saying he would watch the game down his local with friends.

Got love the press. The opening line of the Express article states Mick will be at Wembley it's like they just make **** up... ?

Great exclusive from the Express.

Shame that it comes 24 hours after The Telegraph had a 2 page interview, in which Mick said he was going to watch the game in the pub and let the "kids" use the ticket.

Hadn't seen the Telegraph article I'd be inclined to believe them more than the Express though..

I know for a fact that Peter Rodrigues is ****ed off with the club. And before anyone starts he's not bitter, he's an extremely decent bloke who I've personally seen spent time discussing saints with supporters time & time again. He spends a bit of time in a holiday home in Wareham

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would argue about Benali being our worst ever left back. We have had worse.

A few maybe, but most didn't last long. We had to endure Benali for 16 years. In fairness though, if we'd had a decent left back then we possibly wouldn't have had the excitement of half a dozen great escapes.

If he wanted to make a point he had no need to slag off former players, or to put a bet on United, he's done himself no favours.

I'll be kind and assume that some of that was quoted out of context.

But if he's going to rant like that, no wonder he never gets invited to anything.

A few maybe, but most didn't last long. We had to endure Benali for 16 years. In fairness though, if we'd had a decent left back then we possibly wouldn't have had the excitement of half a dozen great escapes.

Isn't Benali just the sort of player modern saints fans would want? Loyal, never leave, local boy, Mr Southampton type.....

His view on matty is a disgrace. Matty didn't win medals cos he dedicated his career to saints so he's even more of a hero. Steele isn't in same league. Matty best saints player ever. Pathetic from Steele he's lost all respect from me.

Jim Steele was a hero of mine in the 1970's, so reading that article is a bit disappointing, but his reputation becomes a little tarnished by it no one else's.

The club have over the years lauded the 1976 team, I remember seeing a bunch of grey haired and bald blokes on the pitch in 2006 commemorating the 30th anniversary. Whilst we shouldn't forget that team, and they have the admiration and gratitude of anyone who was alive at the time to witness it, there is a limit.

Interesting he mentions Hugh Fisher. I remember seeing Fisher in the old East Stand at The Dell. Presumably he'd paid for his own ticket to be there, wonder if Steele has ever done likewise.

Anyway, Cup Final awaits, not going to spend too much time reflecting on his views given to the Daily Record for their battered mars bar eating readership.

Poor old Jim.

That day back in 1976 meant so much to him, especially the goal, that it remains sharp and crystal clear in his memory.

“I remember his goal. He wasn’t a left footer but Jim McCalliog passed the ball, Mick Channon headed it on and Stokesy hit it with his left peg from about 25 yards into the top corner. Fantastic - past Alex Stepney as well.

Strange because I met Jim twice last season in Corporate and his ticket was allocated free by Saints. Last season 3 ex per game used the tickets in the Presidential Suite. This year it seems to be two.

Jim was happy then and restricted his alcohol content. Was entertaining and able to handle the p..s take I gave him when he took a ball from someone who had just won it and I said out loud that it was the first time he had got the ball off of someone.

Think the article must have been slanted a little because LeT was not invited yesterday, he was working for Sky.

Poor old Jim.

That day back in 1976 meant so much to him, especially the goal, that it remains sharp and crystal clear in his memory.

“I remember his goal. He wasn’t a left footer but Jim McCalliog passed the ball, Mick Channon headed it on and Stokesy hit it with his left peg from about 25 yards into the top corner. Fantastic - past Alex Stepney as well.

Well we all know what constant heading an old heavy football does to the brain. Overrated himself did Ginger Jim.