Saints V Man United - Post Match Reactions

St Chalet

Heartbreaking way to lose the game having been the best side throughout. Have to be incredibly proud of the performance from the team. Fans were fantastic, really generated a great atmosphere.

This is a new era of Southampton FC. We have been in the quarters the last two years and now reached a final. I think we will have some more similar outings in the years to come. Great time to be Saints fan.

What a gem we have found in Gabbiadini. The lad is a joy to watch off the ball with his clever movement.

Heartbreaking yes but it's what Utd do. Seems to me that they get more late wins than any other team around. Used to be in Fergie time...added on for no reason whatsoever but nowadays it seems to be all last few minutes stuff.

Heartbreaking. We deserved so much more than that.

I bet most Man Utd fans will have forgotten about it already, just another win for them, another trophy. I bet the League Cup isn't even considered important to them.

Yet it would have meant the world to us.

I'm very proud of the club, credit to Puel and the players for the cup run, and I thought our support was great. Roll on next season, I'd love another day out at Wembley.

The linesman who wrongly disallowed Saints first goal was Stuart Burt.

His last Saints game I believe was the 3-0 win over Leicester where Vvd was stamped on (imo deliberately) by that "dog turd" of a Leicester player.

? Does anyone know if he was the linesman at that end where the stamping took place ?

If he was, he was he would have had a better view of the "stamp" than the Referee.

(The ball was at least 3 feet away and the linesman that that end of the ground would have seen that but didn't raise his flag

H79n8bu.jpg

Don't linesman (assistant referees) normally position themselves on the left-side of the team defending in the half they are officiating? In which case he will have been obscured by Bertrand etc on this occasion. Or of course I could be talking twaddle.

Absolutely gutting, still can't watch any re-runs but I will, eventually.

You can bet your bottom dollar had van Dijk played, United (and specifically Ibrahimovic) would have had a considerably more difficult time of it. As it was though, to a man (apart from Forster being typically sh1te and Tadic being a bit anon), the team were superb and it's hard to be anything other than disappointed at the injustices but immensely proud of the performance from the team and the fans.

Did anyone get that familiar feeling that we wouldn't win it at times during the game, despite how well we played? It was just the incredible amount of times we got the ball into a dangerous area and it was plucked away just in time, not to mention the moment Romeu hit the post. That moment did for me, I just thought United would go and nick it after that. Irrespective, we kept on going and still had plenty of other decent half-chances that got scrambled away, it was effectively a siege at times.

And the other moment was the cross from Herrera.. the moment that ball left his boot you just knew it was over, though, for some reason, it felt that the ball hung up agonisingly for longer than possible; you knew the inevitable was coming and there was nothing anyone could do about it. Horrible feeling.

That application and intensity has been amiss at times this year but despite the injuries we've had to carry and the injustices we've had to contend with, you can be nothing but proud of that team. I said to my dad at the start of the match I just hope we aren't "brave losers" again and whilst my nightmare scenario unfolded, what a performance. You really couldn't have asked for anymore.

Don't linesman (assistant referees) normally position themselves on the left-side of the team defending in the half they are officiating? In which case he will have been obscured by Bertrand etc on this occasion. Or of course I could be talking twaddle.

Yep. The lino runs the itchen side at that end.

Edited by shurlock

You can bet your bottom dollar had van Dijk played, United (and specifically Ibrahimovic) would have had a considerably more difficult time of it. As it was though, to a man (apart from Forster being typically sh1te and Tadic being a bit anon), the team were superb and it's hard to be anything other than disappointed at the injustices but immensely proud of the performance from the team and the fans.

Did anyone get that familiar feeling that we wouldn't win it at times during the game, despite how well we played? It was just the incredible amount of times we got the ball into a dangerous area and it was plucked away just in time, not to mention the moment Romeu hit the post. That moment did for me, I just thought United would go and nick it after that. Irrespective, we kept on going and still had plenty of other decent half-chances that got scrambled away, it was effectively a siege at times.

And the other moment was the cross from Herrera.. the moment that ball left his boot you just knew it was over, though, for some reason, it felt that the ball hung up agonisingly for longer than possible; you knew the inevitable was coming and there was nothing anyone could do about it. Horrible feeling.

That application and intensity has been amiss at times this year but despite the injuries we've had to carry and the injustices we've had to contend with, you can be nothing but proud of that team. I said to my dad at the start of the match I just hope we aren't "brave losers" again and whilst my nightmare scenario unfolded, what a performance. You really couldn't have asked for anymore.

Oh, and I'm going to use one of my three posts to say Paul Pogba is a f()cking d1ck.

I couldn't have put it better myself, sums up my feelings exactly. I turned to the old man when Romeu hit the post and said that I just knew United would nick it from us.

Well all i can say was 10 out of 10 for yesterday it was a fantastic cup final where the best team lost, lots of passion from every saints player, manager & supporter my man of the match was Gabbiadini 11 out of 10 and worst was linesman 0 out of 10 all the rest 10 out of ten great display by both sides

Gotta give a lot of credit to Puel; you can see he put a lot of planning into the game. I thought we would try and keep it tight but we attacked them from the off. It's strange to say Utd weren't at the races, even though they scored 3. Zlatan is a machine. Gutted to lose, but there wasn't much more we could have done. It's a good springboard for the last few games. We've the makings of a good side here, but as usual depends on our summer activity. And hopefully some players will see we are trying to achieve something and aren't a million miles away. I think with the europa we've had to take a step back.

final thoughts

- JWP played very well for about the third time ever

- Just imagine Mourinho if it was Utd who had that goal disallowed

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Proud to be a Saints fan today. Reckon every neutral watching on TV will now be an admirer of Saints. As for Yoshida and Stephens, we all had our doubts, reckon they did well, not perfect but miles better than expected against vast and expensive talent. Fonte? We proved we can manage without him, he'd probably have given away a penalty

Sat in the Jubilee Line tube surrounded by Man Utd fans. They to a man said that Saints were really unlucky and were by far the better team. And full of praise for the way that we have done over the seasons since losing so many top players.

Didn't help much, but praise for the way we played is all that we have to remember. And we will never forget that.

Want to say a huge thank you to Perry, Steve and the others from Radio Taxis. They offered me a spare ticket for face value outside Wembley when a tout had offered them considerably more! Thought it was better to sell to a real fan than make money. Gave me a lift back to Southampton as well. Can't thank you enough! Top blokes.

de1782034b0bb86907a59567120596dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heartbreaking. We deserved so much more than that.

I bet most Man Utd fans will have forgotten about it already, just another win for them, another trophy. I bet the League Cup isn't even considered important to them.

Yet it would have meant the world to us.

I'm very proud of the club, credit to Puel and the players for the cup run, and I thought our support was great. Roll on next season, I'd love another day out at Wembley.

Exactly we would have probably open bus tour paraded it around Southampton- after all would have been our second trophy.

To them they only cared about overtaking Liverpool more than the cup itself- it would be one of the last ones they'd put out for show

Want to say a huge thank you to Perry, Steve and the others from Radio Taxis. They offered me a spare ticket for face value outside Wembley when a tout had offered them considerably more! Thought it was better to sell to a real fan than make money. Gave me a lift back to Southampton as well. Can't thank you enough! Top blokes.

Brilliant stuff, well done to them.

For the older posters, is the injustices of this game going to be held in the same contempt as the Heath/Everton scenario? Always hear it talked about but never did see it/experience it

no, this was worse. The only thing wrong with Heath's goal that day was the divot the ball hit in the Highbury penalty area that meant the ball just popped up onto that little gits forehead.

There was no monumental linesman or referee error that day, just the injustice of outplaying them and getting done right at the end.

Ok. I'm over it a bit more now so will post my thoughts

I thought we played really well. Gabbiadini is class. Could be a huge player for us. All of the players were brilliant apart from Forster. Honestly wtf has happened to him? I don't even want him in goal ATM. His positioning for the free kick was dreadful. It went in waist high and not in the corner. He should be saving that. The second goal it was like watching a tree fall. So slow getting down. And the third, well it was point blank so maybe a bit harsh but straight through his hands? It's poor.

On our fans. They were bloody excellent. I was near the half way line and looking at our fans with the flags and scarfs, it was brilliant. Whilst the Utd fans mostly sat there in silence. You all did the club proud.

I'm massively proud of our boys. We didn't choke or freeze on the big occasion. We took the game to them and should've been given more respect by the officials.

Thought the ref was ok but the linesman was a joke.

Hope we are back at Wembley again soon. COYS!!

The linesman who wrongly disallowed Saints first goal was Stuart Burt.

His last Saints game I believe was the 3-0 win over Leicester where Vvd was stamped on (imo deliberately) by that "dog turd" of a Leicester player.

? Does anyone know if he was the linesman at that end where the stamping took place ?

If he was, he was he would have had a better view of the "stamp" than the Referee.

(The ball was at least 3 feet away and the linesman that that end of the ground would have seen that but didn't raise his flag

H79n8bu.jpg

He's tried that on Mane tonight too !

Is that Perry MacMillan?

Is that Perry MacMillan?

It is indeed.

Play like that every match I'd agree but let's face it the adrenaline in the players won't be quite the same.

That's true, I'm just saying we are really close to having a very good team, and I don't think we'll have any big departures this summer. Next year could be great.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Only got back home at 11ish after a long and enjoyable day with both sons. I'm not too down about the result, as I am secure in my belief that we drew the match, having scored the same number of goals as Man U. Had the linesman been as competent as a professional ought to have been at a major football match, then the early goal would almost certainly have changed the outcome of the match from then on. Furthermore, Gabbiadino was clearly the MOTM instead of Ibrahimovic, as he scored 3 times against Ibrahimovic's two. But the decision was the pundits' and naturally they will choose the darling of the Glory plastic team.

I also console myself that we played the better football for most of the match, had more chances and also out sang the United fans. I take pride also in the way that our players go about the game, not resorting to the cheating employed by United players and the disgraceful way that they dive all over the place and mob the referee trying to influence his decisions. It would be nice to believe that any decent United fans would be honest enough to feel ashamed by the way that some of their players behave, but that is perhaps a naive expectation, as they probably feel that the end justifies the means. I imagine that Mourinho schools them in these tactics on the training ground.

For any neutral out there watching the match, I would expect that they were impressed with the way that we bossed a team full of stars costing several times as much as our team. The team did us proud, as did the fans. Don't we have a good board who produced a great spectacle by placing a free scarf on every seat? That must have looked brilliant on the screen. And all the Mancs got, was pieces of coloured paper. :lol:

Ultimately, we had domination of the midfield for a lot of the match and with Gabbiadini up top, a similar goal threat to United's. The match hinged on the defences and although United's defence was poor and is their weak point, we were relying on a rookie CB and effectively his third choice CB partner from before January. That with by much the poorer goalkeeper of the two on the pitch, was what did for us. Again, we have ample justification for arguing that had it not been for that thug Vardy stamping on V. V-D's ankle, his presence in the team would probably have defended successfully against one or more of their goals.

That's the way it goes, but there are good portents for the future and for the rest of the season. The three weaknesses in the team have been addressed. Gabbiadini has demonstrated that he is as good or better than Pelle was. We have signed on the face of it, a very good CB to enforce that position and they should be a formidable partnership once V. V-D is back. It is a pity that Caceres' arrival was too early for the final. I trust Puel's judgement on Hassan in goal and frankly his replacement of Forster cannot come quickly enough for me.

Puel has received quite a bit of flack from some on here, but he deserves praise for yesterday's tactics and team choice and for many things this season overall. He has suffered more disappointments than most managers in terms of injuries suffered to key players like Austin and V.V-D, also Targett and Pied and others for shorter periods. Despite losing players of the calibre of Pelle, Mane and Wanyama, the team at this stage of the campaign can't be that short in terms of prowess overall. And he has brought through some academy players like Sims, Stevens and McQueen, something that I doubt would have happened under Koeman.

Personally, I believe that in Puel we could have a manager who would improve the team next season and afterwards if given the chance of staying for a few years and building a squad to his requirements and methods.

A really good post - as is post 409; both posts capture the essence of what the game meant to most Southampton fans; great disappointment and heartbreak at the result, but incredible consolation with the performance, skill and spirit of Saint's players. Wes, just to take your comments about Gabbiadini a step further; it's just not his goal tally that's impressive - his movement, turns, touch and eye

for a pass are incredible. What I like about him compared to Pelle is that his movement and skill have resulted in more crosses and passes coming in and

around the box on the deck, rather than lumped in. The result is a quicker style of play, suiting Cedric, Bertrand and even Tadic - though I'd like to see more of Boufal just behind Gabbi - could be an interesting end to the season.

I am going to be the first to question why Steve Davis wasn't in the refs face on the disallowed goal asking him to speak to the Lino? it might have done the trick. Given the two thicko twins time to reconsider the move and come up with the right decision. Seen it happen before. You can bet United would have been all around the ref had it been the other end.

I saw the replay last night and that was, (apart from the result ), as good a final game as I have ever seen. Had we had Foster in any semblance of last years form we would have won. Congratulations to Saints for a wonderful display.

Only got back home at 11ish after a long and enjoyable day with both sons. I'm not too down about the result, as I am secure in my belief that we drew the match, having scored the same number of goals as Man U. Had the linesman been as competent as a professional ought to have been at a major football match, then the early goal would almost certainly have changed the outcome of the match from then on. Furthermore, Gabbiadino was clearly the MOTM instead of Ibrahimovic, as he scored 3 times against Ibrahimovic's two. But the decision was the pundits' and naturally they will choose the darling of the Glory plastic team.

I also console myself that we played the better football for most of the match, had more chances and also out sang the United fans. I take pride also in the way that our players go about the game, not resorting to the cheating employed by United players and the disgraceful way that they dive all over the place and mob the referee trying to influence his decisions. It would be nice to believe that any decent United fans would be honest enough to feel ashamed by the way that some of their players behave, but that is perhaps a naive expectation, as they probably feel that the end justifies the means. I imagine that Mourinho schools them in these tactics on the training ground.

For any neutral out there watching the match, I would expect that they were impressed with the way that we bossed a team full of stars costing several times as much as our team. The team did us proud, as did the fans. Don't we have a good board who produced a great spectacle by placing a free scarf on every seat? That must have looked brilliant on the screen. And all the Mancs got, was pieces of coloured paper. :lol:

Ultimately, we had domination of the midfield for a lot of the match and with Gabbiadini up top, a similar goal threat to United's. The match hinged on the defences and although United's defence was poor and is their weak point, we were relying on a rookie CB and effectively his third choice CB partner from before January. That with by much the poorer goalkeeper of the two on the pitch, was what did for us. Again, we have ample justification for arguing that had it not been for that thug Vardy stamping on V. V-D's ankle, his presence in the team would probably have defended successfully against one or more of their goals.

That's the way it goes, but there are good portents for the future and for the rest of the season. The three weaknesses in the team have been addressed. Gabbiadini has demonstrated that he is as good or better than Pelle was. We have signed on the face of it, a very good CB to enforce that position and they should be a formidable partnership once V. V-D is back. It is a pity that Caceres' arrival was too early for the final. I trust Puel's judgement on Hassan in goal and frankly his replacement of Forster cannot come quickly enough for me.

Puel has received quite a bit of flack from some on here, but he deserves praise for yesterday's tactics and team choice and for many things this season overall. He has suffered more disappointments than most managers in terms of injuries suffered to key players like Austin and V.V-D, also Targett and Pied and others for shorter periods. Despite losing players of the calibre of Pelle, Mane and Wanyama, the team at this stage of the campaign can't be that short in terms of prowess overall. And he has brought through some academy players like Sims, Stevens and McQueen, something that I doubt would have happened under Koeman.

Personally, I believe that in Puel we could have a manager who would improve the team next season and afterwards if given the chance of staying for a few years and building a squad to his requirements and methods.

Great insightful post

For the older posters, is the injustices of this game going to be held in the same contempt as the Heath/Everton scenario? Always hear it talked about but never did see it/experience it

I'm actually pleased Man Utd went through in the FA Cup as if we'd had them in our next home game it would have been too much. Let's play them at home in May, hopefully they'll be struggling with a backlog of fixtures.

No, the feeling I had after Highbury 84 has never been felt again since that day. I still feel sick when I think of that day, the whole game we had things go against us, but again we were by far the best team. Andy Gray spent the whole game fouling but the ref just let him get aay with it.

Bloody hell!

The better team WON because if clinical finishing.

Stats wise it was almost identical.

As for support....we (united) didn't hear saints fans apart from when you scored.

It may have seemed to some of you that you were so loud, but honestly you're getting carried away with the occasion.

In the ground you were quiet, and outside on wembley way etc, like mice.

Hope this helps

It

well considering the Man Utd fans didnt bother to get into the ground untl4.20 I doubt you saw many saints fans.

Listen to your manager, yep the Special one who actually knows about football, he praised the fans of our club for making the day.

Can you please tell your fellow fans that it wasn't Mannequin challenge day, only at the end of the game when you realised you had got out of jail was they any movement in your fanbase.

Anyway, you will be able to go wallow in the pride of a city you dont come from, for winning a competition. Funny how when you talk to Man U , Liverpool fans they always say they didnt start supporting the club bacause they were winning things. They come up with my dads grandads best mate saw the newspaper after Munich

Jeez, this one isn't going to get easier...

Bare minimum it's a year before we get a chance to put this right. Realistically it could take a lot longer.

Feels like we HAVE to keep hold of this team, at least for the next couple of seasons.

In VvD and Gabbiadini, we've put absolutely top class players in two of the most difficult positions to fill, we've put together the core of something that might just go on and do something REALLY special.

Jeez, this one isn't going to get easier...

Bare minimum it's a year before we get a chance to put this right. Realistically it could take a lot longer.

Feels like we HAVE to keep hold of this team, at least for the next couple of seasons.

In VvD and Gabbiadini, we've put absolutely top class players in two of the most difficult positions to fill, we've put together the core of something that might just go on and do something REALLY special.

I waited 14 years for this :lol:

Both days have similarities, for me perhaps being 35 years older makes all the difference to how I feel about it. Plus I was at Highbury and not at Wembley on Sunday. Feelings also probably ran higher because it was 1984 and the atmosphere was pretty toxic as it was in those less sanitised days. That said three days later we played Everton at The Dell and beat them 3-1 so some sort of revenge was almost immediate. Saints were brilliant that evening btw.

Both days have similarities, for me perhaps being 35 years older makes all the difference to how I feel about it. Plus I was at Highbury and not at Wembley on Sunday. Feelings also probably ran higher because it was 1984 and the atmosphere was pretty toxic as it was in those less sanitised days. That said three days later we played Everton at The Dell and beat them 3-1 so some sort of revenge was almost immediate. Saints were brilliant that evening btw.

The feeling after Sunday was the same feeling as after the 1984 defeat. A numbness, disbelief and annoyance that we had not won. It is some time since I have felt that way - the play off defeat at Derby perhaps got close.

Having Everton a few days later in the League helped to get over it. We do not have that luxury this time.

Very proud of the lads and the fans a Wembley - life is just unfair - after 46 I know that - but still this defeat is hard to accept.

On the minus side FF and the subs - why take of Gabba? He didn't look happy going off.

But I'm trying to focus on the positive things tonight

For those who didn't notice Gabby was dead on his feet.... To have left him on the pitch that tired would have risked serious injury. The decision to take him off was 100% correct. Watch the game and not the emotion......

Having been at both games, for me the difference was in 1984 we went to Highbury expecting to win, had the better of the game and then got beaten at the end. That's what was so gutting - plus the Everton supporters were nauseous. Sunday's game was different in that I went hoping to win, but not actually expecting to. The disappointment was that we got so close to winning.

Having been at both games, for me the difference was in 1984 we went to Highbury expecting to win, had the better of the game and then got beaten at the end. That's what was so gutting - plus the Everton supporters were nauseous. Sunday's game was different in that I went hoping to win, but not actually expecting to. The disappointment was that we got so close to winning.

Yep. Good summary.

I'll put it this way. I'm over Sunday but I'll never be over Highbury.