Saints V Man United - Post Match Reactions

St Chalet

I think it is valid to believe, that if Gabbiadini had still been on the pitch when that cross flashed across their 6 yard box, he might have got a shot in, since his movement is simply at another level.

But I understand Puel subbing him. Lets not forget hes not used to English football yet and probabaly was flagging.

He's going to be unstoppable in a few week's time, or next season at the latest.

Great performance, proud of the effort they put in. Terrible decision by the linesman, which really cost us the game IMO.

So many strong performances, I think it was just a case of being not as tight as we should have been at the back, and if you're going to point the finger you have to suggest that Forster probably should have done a bit more on at least two of those goals. But then, easy for me to say, as I'm not the guy standing on the pitch having balls fired at him.

Gabbiadini - awesome, really like him. My wife commented that he seems to keep himself to himself, and she was right yesterday. Wasn't involved in any altercations, no bust ups, no diving, no moaning.....just two decent goals, and one sublime one.

Let's push on now, I'd be really happy to finish in the top 9, so for me that's the aim. Lads did well (very well considering the team were sans VVD) and luckily I don't really interact with too many plastic mancs, so I shouldn't have to endure any of the ****e off them today!

I think it is valid to believe, that if Gabbiadini had still been on the pitch when that cross flashed across their 6 yard box, he might have got a shot in, since his movement is simply at another level.

But I understand Puel subbing him. Lets not forget hes not used to English football yet and probabaly was flagging.

He's going to be unstoppable in a few week's time, or next season at the latest.

A great performance. Watched in a pub in Kent and everyone wanted us to win. But, undone at the death by failure to replace Fonte in central defence. Reed - hold your hands up!

What a day that was. When the equaliser went in I went mental, haven't gone that nuts since Rickie scored at Fratton. Voice - gone.

So proud of the team but if that isn't the most typical Saints vs Man Utd cliché, I don't know what is.

Out play them - check

Miss chances to win it - check

Big officiating error in their favour - check

One world class player bails out their underperforming superstars - check

Media w**k over said player despite obviously better performances from Saints players - check

Anyway, fantastic performance all round. Yoshida, Gabbi, Cedric, JWP and Romeu all exceptional.

This.......and why wasn't Herrera booked for overacting? Horrible little p...k. Sadly think the Saints suffer for being too nice sometimes. Now looking forward to the upcoming PL games with a striker who can score at last and possibly a new centre back who can shore up the defence even more.

One of the best games I have ever been to. Wembley was amazing and what a fight back!

Looked to me like a fairly average Utd team was carried by Zlatan who is undeniably world class, the bastard.

Forster was disappointing but the rest of the saints team were fantastic, especially Gabbi!

I like to think we'd have won it had VD been fit.

God. It feels worse this morning. Going to take some time to get over this.

This. I plucked up the courage to watch the highlights this morning and it's made me feel worse realising how close we came to winning the game with the chances we had. I think we also had a good shout for a penalty for the foul on Long towards the end too. So annoying.

Give it a rest mate, what was there to criticise about yesterday's performance. This was the best team performance ever seen at Wembley, just be satisfied with that.

In fairness I think Dusic is right about Romeu. He has been brilliant all season but it was a rash and needless challenge which led to the goal and perhaps more importantly his yellow card meant he had to hold back a little for the rest of the game and wasn't quite his usual combative self. He still played well, but perhaps a little shy of the exceptional performances we have seen so much this campaign.

Fantastic day gutted with the end result but wow

Me and the old man were very fortunate to bag tickets in the bobby Moore suite (a true one off)

The view and noise of the saints fans is something I will never forget

Being amongst posh ****ty Manc's I will gladly forget

The players did us proud, on another day with a better Lino who knows

ManUtd fans showed their class after our tribute to Markus, god forbid anyone disrespect s a Munich tribute!!!

Gutted. Thought we were brilliant. Was high up bet felt Forster should have done better with the first. Second felt sloppy as well. Shame.

Fans were brilliant. Those 5 mins after Gabbiadini scored the equaliser were magical.

Final thing I was in block 551, there must have been 100 empty seats in front of us. Bit of a disgrace with so many people wanting tickets

Gutted. Thought we were brilliant. Was high up bet felt Forster should have done better with the first. Second felt sloppy as well. Shame.

Fans were brilliant. Those 5 mins after Gabbiadini scored the equaliser were magical.

Final thing I was in block 551, there must have been 100 empty seats in front of us. Bit of a disgrace with so many people wanting tickets

I was in 551 and there was a big block empty to my right and another in front of us. Appalling considering it was "sold out".

In fairness I think Dusic is right about Romeu. He has been brilliant all season but it was a rash and needless challenge which led to the goal and perhaps more importantly his yellow card meant he had to hold back a little for the rest of the game and wasn't quite his usual combative self. He still played well, but perhaps a little shy of the exceptional performances we have seen so much this campaign.

Romeu was fantastic. Bossed the midfield.

This. I plucked up the courage to watch the highlights this morning and it's made me feel worse realising how close we came to winning the game with the chances we had. I think we also had a good shout for a penalty for the foul on Long towards the end too. So annoying.

Think I'm going to have to give it a few more days.

Had to watch bits of the game I had recrded yesterday and have never seen MLT so heated about an incident. He was like a real fan and couldnt hide the fact how useless the lino was.

The lino is supposed to be the cream of the lot to get to officiate in a final, to be so wrong is appalling.

Having had time to think about it in the cold light of day, Andre Marriner's performance yesterday should ensure he never gets another major final.

It's never a good idea to blame officials for defeats. There are always more important reasons to be self-analytical. To be blunt, neither the referee nor the linesman stuck any of United's goals in the net, and you can be critical of Saints defensive naievety at times.

But as I said in my post last night, tight games hinge on fine margins, and two of those affected Saints adversely.

The linesman - quite rightly - has come in for a lot of stick, but the ultimate responsibility has to lie with the referee.

To be fair to the linesman - and there is little reason to be - he might have thought that Bertrand got a touch. He is 60 yards away and from that distance his depth of vision is limited.

But at this point, the referee should have asked him who he was flagging for, and if he received the answer "Bertrand" then the ref should have informed him that he did not touch the ball.

I'm not sure the referee ever consulted the linesman. He might well have assumed that he was flagging for Gabbiadini and assumed he would not have raised his flag had Gabbiadini been onside.

In which case, that is poor, poor refereeing. The referee was not in a position to judge whether Gabbiadini was onside or not, but he was in a position to see who got the last touch. If he is not in a position to make a judgement call on whether a player is on or off, he should not assume the linesman has made the correct decision for him.

The referee is ultimately responsible for all decisions made under his jurisdiction during the game and by not consulting his assistant, he abrogated that responsibility.

Marriner should certainly be carpeted for not applying the laws correctly on Lingard's trip on Redmond.

If the offside goal was a wrong judgement call, the trip on Redmond is not.

The laws clearly stated that a deliberate trip or attempt to trip an opponent who has gone past you, is a cautionable offence. The fact that Redmond stayed on his feet and allowed Marriner is immaterial.

At the first opportunity when the ball was dead, Marriner called Lingard over and at that point, he knew it was a foul and he should have applied the law. He has no leeway on this.

The laws were amended exactly to remove this sort of situation, and to remove any leeway a referee might be minded to give.

How many times do you see referees brandish a yellow card to a player for tripping an opponent and with a shrug of the shoulder, mouth the words: "Sorry, but I have no choice"?

Marriner had no choice yesterday, and the fact that he did not sanction Lingard according to the rules, is a failure on his part, and falls short of the standard expected of top-flight officials.

He didn't dismiss Lingard, and United had the luxury of not being reduced to 10 men for the last 20-odd minutes, which again, could have had a major bearing on the outcome of the game.

To an extent, it's all academic, as the records will show that United won 3-2 and the cup is nestling in their trophy cabinet.

But if nothing else, we can only hope that Andre Marriner's performance will ensure he is not awarded another major final.

According to Talksport he's signing for Liverpool, along with VVD and Bertrand. Joking aside, at least I hope I am, this is a correct observation.

Whilst ever so proud of the team on the pitch, I was truly amazed with the performance of the 12th Man. Not just the fantastic and frequent renditions of OWTSGMI but the noise made throughout. One moment is especially to be cherished ... Shortly after we equalised, the entire Saints end broke into the 7 Nation Army Gabbiadini song, with just about everyone waving their red-and-white scarves which we had been given. I looked around from my seat in Block 548 and witnessed one of those truly amazing moments of collective action - crowds at Buckingham Palace for a Royal celebration, the millions bathing in the Ganges, starling murmurations, wildebeest crossing the Serangeti ... Saints fans at Wembley. Nobody does it better.

As a team, we really couldn't have done much more. In big games at Wembley, especially when you're the ''smaller'' side, you need luck on your side - we certainly didn't have that yesterday. That was the difference really. A couple of inches under the bar and Romeu made it 3-2. The linesman doesn't have an off day, and it's 1-0 to us before they score. Those little things make a huge difference to the 'underdog', and we needed them to fall in our favor for sure.

But the performance was as good as we've put in all season, we attacked with purpose, pace and got in behind them on numerous times. I thought JWP had a standout game in the middle of the park and it was pleasing to see him finally live up to the potential, he would have certainly caught the eye of some yesterday.

It's hard to critisse anyway, but you have to say that with VVD and or 'another' experienced centre back in that side, we wouldn't have conceded that last goal. Stephens inexperience showed massively yesterday and Maya had to cover him on a couple of occasions, and he had an amazing game for what it's worth. But the sad thing is that we shouldn't have been going into our first final since 76 with an inexperienced kid at the back. That will always be my main gripe and it did cost us.

But the overriding feeling is - proud. We fought to the death, even at 2-0 down we still believed - a lot of sides would have given up and packed up at that point. So credit to the team, the manager and the coaches for what was seemingly 2 great weeks of coaching and preparation.

Final word from me goes to Gabbiadini - incredible goal finish for that 2nd. To come into a new league and have 5 in 3 is incredible, he really does look the real deal.

All in all a great day, hopefully we get back there again soon.

feeling numb this morning, so pleased i have the day off from work. I am so proud of our side, they gave everything for themselves, the club and the fans. I so hope the board will keep this side together plus a couple of decent signings, next season could be really exciting.....and my god we seem to have found a gem in Gabby!

I can't be alone, can I, in believing that if we'd acted faster regarding the CB situation then we'd have won?

VvD's injury and Reed not replacing Fonte with a proven CB, as predicted by many, came back to haunt us. I can't blame any player on the pitch, although FF looks as if he's made of concrete but I do blame Reed.

kind of depends on who we got in surely? Would Sakho have made the difference yesterday? or the that German bloke we were in for? TBH we really don't know. Annoying as the whole CB thing was what I do know is we out played united yesterday, had a perfectly good first goal wrongly ruled offside, that had it stood would have changed the whole game. There are probably dozens of other things you could point to as having an effect on yesterdays outcome as well.

The team was brilliant to a man, ok save 1, and our crowd was fantastic.

We didn't let Utd play and sitting on the halfway line we could hardly hear their crowd.

So proud of all things Saints yesterday.

However embarrassed by the lights - that 'bright' idea was always going to come back to haunt us.

Only got back home at 11ish after a long and enjoyable day with both sons. I'm not too down about the result, as I am secure in my belief that we drew the match, having scored the same number of goals as Man U. Had the linesman been as competent as a professional ought to have been at a major football match, then the early goal would almost certainly have changed the outcome of the match from then on. Furthermore, Gabbiadino was clearly the MOTM instead of Ibrahimovic, as he scored 3 times against Ibrahimovic's two. But the decision was the pundits' and naturally they will choose the darling of the Glory plastic team.

I also console myself that we played the better football for most of the match, had more chances and also out sang the United fans. I take pride also in the way that our players go about the game, not resorting to the cheating employed by United players and the disgraceful way that they dive all over the place and mob the referee trying to influence his decisions. It would be nice to believe that any decent United fans would be honest enough to feel ashamed by the way that some of their players behave, but that is perhaps a naive expectation, as they probably feel that the end justifies the means. I imagine that Mourinho schools them in these tactics on the training ground.

For any neutral out there watching the match, I would expect that they were impressed with the way that we bossed a team full of stars costing several times as much as our team. The team did us proud, as did the fans. Don't we have a good board who produced a great spectacle by placing a free scarf on every seat? That must have looked brilliant on the screen. And all the Mancs got, was pieces of coloured paper. :lol:

Ultimately, we had domination of the midfield for a lot of the match and with Gabbiadini up top, a similar goal threat to United's. The match hinged on the defences and although United's defence was poor and is their weak point, we were relying on a rookie CB and effectively his third choice CB partner from before January. That with by much the poorer goalkeeper of the two on the pitch, was what did for us. Again, we have ample justification for arguing that had it not been for that thug Vardy stamping on V. V-D's ankle, his presence in the team would probably have defended successfully against one or more of their goals.

That's the way it goes, but there are good portents for the future and for the rest of the season. The three weaknesses in the team have been addressed. Gabbiadini has demonstrated that he is as good or better than Pelle was. We have signed on the face of it, a very good CB to enforce that position and they should be a formidable partnership once V. V-D is back. It is a pity that Caceres' arrival was too early for the final. I trust Puel's judgement on Hassan in goal and frankly his replacement of Forster cannot come quickly enough for me.

Puel has received quite a bit of flack from some on here, but he deserves praise for yesterday's tactics and team choice and for many things this season overall. He has suffered more disappointments than most managers in terms of injuries suffered to key players like Austin and V.V-D, also Targett and Pied and others for shorter periods. Despite losing players of the calibre of Pelle, Mane and Wanyama, the team at this stage of the campaign can't be that short in terms of prowess overall. And he has brought through some academy players like Sims, Stevens and McQueen, something that I doubt would have happened under Koeman.

Personally, I believe that in Puel we could have a manager who would improve the team next season and afterwards if given the chance of staying for a few years and building a squad to his requirements and methods.

Bloody hell!

The better team WON because if clinical finishing.

Stats wise it was almost identical.

As for support....we (united) didn't hear saints fans apart from when you scored.

It may have seemed to some of you that you were so loud, but honestly you're getting carried away with the occasion.

In the ground you were quiet, and outside on wembley way etc, like mice.

Hope this helps

It

Says Red_No_7 from Southend... or is it Bristol? Walsall perhaps?

It's been a long time since I've seen a Saints striker convert a chance like he did for the second. Absolutely magical.

Please please Saints keep him for as long as possible. Don't even think about cashing in this summer even if Liverpool do come calling. He looks top top quality.

A Saints fan rang up Talksport after the game to say how he enjoyed the game but is frustrated that Gabbiadini will probably leave. He's played 3 games.

He looks absolutely magic though. If he managed to score 10+ before the end of the season I could see someone giving us a call about him. Surely even Saints wouldn't cash in after less than 6 months though?!

It doesn't feel any better this morning. Slightly reminiscent of the feeling after the Everton cup semi defeat in 1984. Still numb. Awoke at 4.00 am with the game going round my head. Proud of the team, proud of our performance, disgusted by the linesman and if only Romeu's header had been a few centimetres wider .... but at the end of the day the record books say that we didn't win the Cup and the plastic Mancs are the happier fans. Why is it always Man United to whom we seem to play so much better than but end up losing - often 3-2 ??

No home game now for over a month. What a shame. Imagine the welcome for the team if we had a match this week. In fact it will be just 2 league games in 7 weeks!!

I can only reflect what many on here have already said, to lose it in the final minutes in that manor is gut wrenching especially having come back in the way that we did. But teams like Man U are so clinical with the meagre chances that they have, unfortunately.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation with our late substitutions, my personal feeling is that we should have waited until the end of normal time in order to assess which players actually needed replacing, I didn’t notice Gabbiadini being tired but surely he wouldn’t have been replaced if he wasn’t out on his feet. Typical that Zlatan was about to be replaced just before he scored, or so I have read. Did we try too hard to finish the game in normal time at the expense of being too open for them to exploit in the final minutes, naive?

Did anyone else notice Mourinho being ‘pally’ with Cedric in the 2nd half as he was about to take a throw in, gave him a hug and both smiling, both being Portuguese of course, or being tapped up!

I’m not usually one to overly criticise our players but FF in goal doesn’t fill me with confidence, I wince every time a shot comes in on goal, I’d like to see on target shots to goal ratio for our opposition over the course of this season.

Mayo and Stephens played well and apart from their last goal but I can’t help thinking what the game would have been like with VVD taking the game by the scruff of the neck.

I thought that Saints fans on the whole were good, loud music and announcements up to kick off don’t help an atmosphere build as they used to in the old days. I did think that we were a bit quiet early in the match even before their first goal but after that some good OWTS, come on you Saints (reds) at corners and especially Gabbiadini after our 2nd goal will live with me for the a long time.

Like others have observed, I noticed in block 551 all the empty seats, I’m not sure if 551 had always been on sale directly to saints fans (I know that there some were released late last week to buy through Saints). I was told that some ‘attendees’ in that block were not Saints fans but had bought their tickets through the Football League (an allocation for those associated with Football Clubs, officials etc), so maybe the FL retained some tickets which were in the end not applied for, but whatever the reason it is not acceptable to have spare seats when people were desperate to attend the game.

Mention to Wealdstone FC who were good hosts to us Saints fans who went there. Also easy getting there by road and easy transport on the tube from Ruislip to Wembley.

Overall a great display by team and supporters that was a credit to the club, but still doesn’t help me feel any better about the result, which is what counts in the history books.

Fantastic day and really proud of the team. So many 'if onlys', the offside goal, the injury to VVD, the too-late signing of Caceres, the lack of any cover in goal but let's not dwell on that. So many positives and after the disappointment of the Europa campaign good to see us back to our vibrant attacking best, flying the flag for the non-top 6 clubs and giving ourselves another tilt at the best-of-the-rest title. Stayed over last night and drove home this morning and Talk sport (yuck!) very complimentary, someone on Jim White's show had us down as being in a completely false league position and on our day a match for anyone ... what a difference having a top line striker makes!

Loved the atmosphere, stood with a great bunch of young and old lads at the back of the lower tier right behind the goal on the right hand side and we didn't stop for 90 minutes. Fair play if you were in that group, top support. I was the old loon with the sash shirt and the middle aged wife with a camera (she loved it too!). Was a bit weird seeing a lot of the lower tier seated though, and gutted for people who couldn't get tickets and then to hear of the empty seats, I reckon I could have sold 20 of them on my own.

Well done boys, proud to be a Saints fan after that performance.

Forster let us down yesterday. The first was poor positioning. The free kick wasn't anywhere near the corner, was at head height, and he had plenty of time to see it. Bottom line is it should have been a save. 2nd goal was well placed but it was fairly slow, think he should have done better. Their 3rd goal was directly at him and for some reason he brings his hands down?!

That aside, it was a great day and I'll remember it fondly (despite being sat in the neutral area surrounded by Mancs and being called every name under the sun, really can't stand their support).

Bloody hell!

As for support....we (united) didn't hear saints fans apart from when you scored.

It may have seemed to some of you that you were so loud, but honestly you're getting carried away with the occasion.

Hope this helps

It

Getting carried away with the occasion? No mush that's because we understand the value of getting to a cup final. You obviously don't. Still I hope you enjoyed your day trip and it didn't take you too long to get back to Surrey afterwards. Did you actually stay to see your team lift the cup or did you f**k off like most of the other plastics because you've 'seen it all before?

And I should check the tv coverage as well - most of the match all you can hear is the Saints fans. Your plastics only started to give it large after the third goal. Pathetic.

Bloody hell!

Hope this helps

It

You've had 164 posts on our forum if the count is to be believed? Why don't you f*ck off to Milton Keynes, Tunbridge Wells, Exeter, or wherever it is you hail from?

The better team lost because of poor refereeing decisions; it is as simple as that. Many Manc fans I know accept that we were the better team, as do most of the neutrals and they know that for large amounts of the game we outplayed you. I accept that as you are probably a plastic, you will naturally not accept that your team of expensive prima donnas could have been outclassed, but why don't you go onto the United forums and post your views to your fellow plastics who might lap them up without question?