Puel and Saints

washsaint

This season Puel has taken a ton of stick - rightly at times, wrongly at others. Today he showed why he will be an excellent manager for us: he outmanouvered Mourinho tactically and some of our attacking play was sublime.

Now we have a striker that can actually convert chances we look a different team even without VVD and JWP is looking like a truly quality player and with Gabbiadini in the side Redmond is thriving.

Today, Puel, the players and fans did our great club proud and I am really liking what I am seeing from Puel now. Could be exciting times ahead if we can keep VVD - only player I would not shed tears over losing is Forster. If Koeman truly wants him, fleece the Scousers and get a decent replacement in.

Thank you Saints for a brilliant attacking show - much better than our abject surrender back in 2003.

I think he's learning about the prem. What he was thinking putting that youth side out against Arsenal in the FA cup I don't know. Other than that he seems to have worked out what the best team is and now we're not rotating we seem to be playing well. Today we outplayed Man U and that for me is a good sign for the future. I'm with Puel.

I think that Puel deserves to take credit for a very good performance today against Man U. The commentators on my feed were certainly expressing surprise at how thoroughly he outdid Mourinho tactically. It's a cause for optimism going into the last few months of the season. Hopefully we don't suffer a post final letdown.

This season Puel has taken a ton of stick - rightly at times, wrongly at others. Today he showed why he will be an excellent manager for us: he outmanouvered Mourinho tactically and some of our attacking play was sublime.

Now we have a striker that can actually convert chances we look a different team even without VVD and JWP is looking like a truly quality player and with Gabbiadini in the side Redmond is thriving.

Today, Puel, the players and fans did our great club proud and I am really liking what I am seeing from Puel now. Could be exciting times ahead if we can keep VVD - only player I would not shed tears over losing is Forster. If Koeman truly wants him, fleece the Scousers and get a decent replacement in.

Thank you Saints for a brilliant attacking show - much better than our abject surrender back in 2003.

I agree it's been a weird season, but Puel has done well considering the circumstances he's found himself in. With a ful pre season, a reasonable amount to spend, I'd back us to beat Everton as 'the best of the rest ' next year.

We expect far too much. We can finish in the top 6 and have our best players and manager poached or we can settle for mid-table. Hopefully Puel can stay for a long time and we can create a competitive club with a good atmosphere and stability. As today has demonstrated, a good cup run is and always used to be our aspiration. People calling for the managers head when we are mid table in the most competitive league in the world and have been to a cup final is barmy!

As poor as we've been at times, I think Puel gets a raw deal by many. Look at how sh*t Liverpool are without Mané and we don't have anything like the depth they do to cover for him. Yes he has got it wrong at times but he's had far less talent at his disposal than Koeman.

I have hammered Puel at times this season, but:

Puel is clearly a very decent man, and he is very likeable, what I have seen of him from afar. He seems humble and unassuming. As mentioned above, there are times this season when we have clicked and played sublimely, but also other, longer periods of turgid play. Dealt a poor hand, there is a sense that he could come good consistently with the right personnel at his disposal on the pitch. Let's hope Gabba is a big part of the rest of the jigsaw - he seems to be so far - and that we go on a hot streak from now 'till May.

In the summer we need a goalie and defence strengthening, clear out the journeymen and crocked strikers and replace, to support Gabba. Then I think we could see the real, motoring Puel next season.

I always found a lot of the criticism levelled at Puel a bit unfair, goals and wins equal excitement, and he has had to go long parts of the season with no real goal scorer in the team. Peoples expectations are so much higher now as well if we make a top 10 finish having been to a cup final its a decent season but people seemed to expect another top 7 finish and a run in Europa, with arguably a weaker squad than last season, in his first season managing outside France. My gut feeling is he will turn out to be a decent manger for us with a little bit of backing from the board and some time.

It could be a great season next year.

we strengthne at centre back when / if Virgil goes but the position I fear the most is left back. I think McQueen is great prospect but nowhere near ready to be the 1st team fullback. So for me keeping Bertrand is the key but I fear that a few clubs (u tied and Liverpool) need a left back.

I hope we can keep hold of him because he tore the mancs a new one yesterday. Awesome display

He tore united a new one?

He outmanouvered Jose?

Puel had 2 full weeks to prepare, Jose had a few days - & we lost! No new ones torn, Jose wasnt outmanouvered.

Some positives from yesterday sure, but we should have been playing like that all season.

Puel has been disappointing thus far, yesterdays defeat doesn't change that for me.

The benefits of not rotating were evident yesterday, but why has it taken a euro exit, fa cup exit, poor league season and 7 months to realise that?

He outmanouvered Jose?

Puel had 2 full weeks to prepare, Jose had a few days - & we lost! No new ones torn, Jose wasnt outmanouvered.

Some positives from yesterday sure, but we should have been playing like that all season.

Puel has been disappointing thus far, yesterdays defeat doesn't change that for me.

The benefits of not rotating were evident yesterday, but why has it taken a euro exit, fa cup exit, poor league season and 7 months to realise that?

The reason we were rotating was because we were in all those competitions you imbecile.

Great credit to Puel... His tactics were absolutely right today. In hindsight he might have considered bringing Long on 10 minutes earlier to give Smalling and Bailly a harder time but otherwise he did a superb job..

I to have criticised him this season at times, but not yesterday..

Great credit to Puel... His tactics were absolutely right today. In hindsight he might have considered bringing Long on 10 minutes earlier to give Smalling and Bailly a harder time but otherwise he did a superb job..

I to have criticised him this season at times, but not yesterday..

Or he could have left Manolo on for the 90?

He outmanouvered Jose?

eb6.jpg?1307463786

He outmanouvered Jose?

Welcome back to the forum. You were missed in the week leading up to the game. I assumed perhaps you were on holiday but the absence of a stock photo of where you were staying gave me doubts.

(apologies for biting folks! :) )

The reason we were rotating was because we were in all those competitions you imbecile.

There's no need for the abusive language.

Whether rotation is a good idea or not is certainly a valid subject for discussion. Yesterday was the first time all season that Puel named an unchanged team. That should tell you all you need to know.

He outmanouvered Jose?

I know you like to be controversial but get it a rest on a day after such a disappointing result.

Puel showed with a lesser quality squad that he made them really concerned and the way they celebrated when they scored the 3rd they knew they had got out of jail.

I know you like to be controversial but get it a rest on a day after such a disappointing result.

Puel showed with a lesser quality squad that he made them really concerned and the way they celebrated when they scored the 3rd they knew they had got out of jail.

Im just offering some balance and my opinions. Its not about being controversial.

All posts that are counteractive to the super positive are met with the pitch fork crew waving red cards. Its killed any discussion or debate on this forum.

This is now a "forum" for SFC appreciation only and nothing else is welcome.

We lost yesterday, we had 2 weeks to prepare, united had a few days. I have acknowledged the performance was good, but we lost!

I have questioned the rotation policy all season. Its cost us

Im just offering some balance and my opinions. Its not about being controversial.

All posts that are counteractive to the super positive are met with the pitch fork crew waving red cards. Its killed any discussion or debate on this forum.

We lost yesterday, we had 2 weeks to prepare, united had a few days. I have acknowledged the performance was good, but we lost!

I agree that it has cost us so far this season. Whether it cost us yesterday....

Let's just say that I'm still thinking about it.

Puel had to make some tough calls on rotation, with a lot of fixtures, and two of our main goal threats from last season gone.

Rotation means that players are a fresh as they can be. It also means you'll risk losing something in continuity, and when it goes wrong, it's very easy for critics to point the finger at the rotation.

I'd say that his belief in his players, to give them opportunities, had pretty much succeeded. A cup final ( that we might easily have won) with a two leg win over Liverpool, and a win at Arsenal, and a top half finish would be one of the better seasons we have ever had. Not enough for resting on Laurels, but a good season.

And he has adapted his formation as his experience in English football develops, and given great opportunities to the young players that we all want to see coming through into the team.

He has got it wrong at times( WBA in particular) but it really isn't fair, or sensible , to judge his first season on the odd result.

Textbook.

There's no need for the abusive language.

Whether rotation is a good idea or not is certainly a valid subject for discussion. Yesterday was the first time all season that Puel named an unchanged team. That should tell you all you need to know.

If we had a game every two weeks throughout the season then yes, you are right, it would tell you 'all you need to know'. As we played an absurd amount of games over a short timespan with a considerable number of injuries then you're comparison sort of falls down.

If Puel still rotates this much next season I will gladly rescind my words but you are talking out of your backside here.

He outmanouvered Jose?

You're supposed to deal the meth mate, not take it

I agree it's been a weird season, but Puel has done well considering the circumstances he's found himself in. With a ful pre season, a reasonable amount to spend, I'd back us to beat Everton as 'the best of the rest ' next year.

Steady on don't get too carried away there. We are well of the pace this season and cant keep hoping for better until the annual migration of our better players keep wanting to go stops.

Steady on don't get too carried away there. We are well of the pace this season and cant keep hoping for better until the annual migration of our better players keep wanting to go stops.

Happens to pretty much every team of our size that has Europe to contend with throw in a cup run as well it would be pretty spectacular to be in and around 7th in the league as well this season.

I don't think we've been ''well off the pace'', a little bit frustrating to watch but the amount of games we've played has been insane. Absolutely bonkers. Don't remember in recent times having us play pretty much twice a week all season.

We were going to drop off, victim of our own success really. I enjoyed the Europa League, but for clubs of our size and stature it is a complete killer. We're not the first club it's harmed and we won't be the last.

If we had a game every two weeks throughout the season then yes, you are right, it would tell you 'all you need to know'. As we played an absurd amount of games over a short timespan with a considerable number of injuries then you're comparison sort of falls down.

If Puel still rotates this much next season I will gladly rescind my words but you are talking out of your backside here.

That all depends on whether you think a settled team is better than one that is constantly changed. Manchester United have played more games than us over the same period.

That all depends on whether you think a settled team is better than one that is constantly changed. Manchester United have played more games than us over the same period.

Yeah, and they made 6 changes yesterday. You really are bonkers if you think we could have played the same team week in week out this season. Has Puel overrotated at times - IMO yes. Has he been hamstrung by having strikers and midfielders who could not hit a barn door from 6 yards out most of this season? Absolutely.

The Man Utds of this world have the squad depth to rotate and not lose significant quality. With our injuries and squad depth we have not had that luxury.

I truly believe with a full pre-season (no Euros with players coming back after the season had started, jaded and straight into 2-3 games per week) we could see what Puel is all about.

I understand the rotation and dont have a problem with that

I understand now playing the diamond when it started to deliver good results what I dont understand is changing to 433 and sticking with it when it clearly didnt work creating poor performances and dreadful results

we have had two games with 4231 and both been excellent performances - I question whether the change was entirely his

I question sticking with Redmond every game and all game when we have had better options

I also find him as interesting and motivating as a dead rat

but other than that I like him

I understand now playing the diamond when it started to deliver good results what I dont understand is changing to 433 and sticking with it when it clearly didnt work creating poor performances and dreadful results

we have had two games with 4231 and both been excellent performances - I question whether the change was entirely his

I question sticking with Redmond every game and all game when we have had better options

Who is a better option as opposed to Redmond? He was terrific yesterday and has been pretty good for us all year. He offers us real pace which we don't really have elsewhere.

Absolutely spot on imo. My opinion has shifted based on the last 2 games and much improved performances. He should have changed things my quicker though. Give him till end of season and then reassess I think.

He outmanouvered Jose?

OMG - I actually agree with Glasgow...

Great display yesterday, tough result to swallow... but we have only played well this season with our first choice 11... rotation just seems to break our rhythm...

Great team effort Sunday, Man Utd and Pompey are the only 2 teams I hate Saints being beaten by. So I am unhappy

with end result.Oh well tough luck on me.

However in defence of Mr Puel he can only be as good as the players he has at his disposal so yet again it's up to the Board

to get him better players if they truly want Saints to keep improving.

Absolutely spot on imo. My opinion has shifted based on the last 2 games and much improved performances. He should have changed things my quicker though. Give him till end of season and then reassess I think.

That would've been difficult, considering he only recently got a striker who can finish, something we've been crying out for since the season began.

That would've been difficult, considering he only recently got a striker who can finish, something we've been crying out for since the season began.

It's about tactics and shape. Charlie Austin could score, Shane long is decent at times. Gabbiadini is a massive help but it's more than just him.

It's about tactics and shape. Charlie Austin could score, Shane long is decent at times. Gabbiadini is a massive help but it's more than just him.

Austin did score when he was fit and playing. Long has never been anything other than a 6-7 goal a season man at this level, his performances have been on par with the rest of his career.

I agree the tactics have been poor at times (Be'er Sheva at home was a particular low point for Claude's credibility) but if CA, JR and SL had been doing their job we wouldn't even have signed Gabbi.

I have lost count of how many matches I have been to this season were we should have got a result with the chances we created but didn't Gabbi makes a massive difference. Yeah Puel has made mistakes but lack of a mobile goal scorer has hampered him all season Austin was our only regular scorer but he horrible slow and immobile for the way Claude wants to play.

Most of our bad results have been due to players messing up.

In virtually every match, except against the very top teams, we limit the opposition to a small number of chances and we create a fair few ourselves. That's the sign of good coaching and organisation.

The problem Puel has is a large section of our fanbase just hasn't warmed to him.

Can't always expect logic and balance from football fans unfortunately and plenty of people haven't taken to him.

There were people in the Northam and Itchen North at the West Ham game singing "Puel Out", not many, but still ridiculous for a last home game before a Wembley final.

The problem Puel has is a large section of our fanbase just hasn't warmed to him.

Can't always expect logic and balance from football fans unfortunately and plenty of people haven't taken to him.

You win: we'll like you. You don't win: we don't like you. Football logic is very simple, actually. Balance, that's another story.